Chat June 20-27 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Is that because then you get the most recent results? Or does the hair do something that makes it less accurate when it's longer? And how much square inch-age are we talking? I was thinking something that was really short in the back could work well all around...
I would assume it's because you want the most recent stuff, but that's just my guess. It is a certain weight, but I think it ended up being a few square inches of hair off DD's head. Of course her hair is still pretty thin, so with thicker hair it might not be as noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Crap. We haven't seen a GI rxn for Taslyn in AGES. But alas, her newest favorite food is peas. Or should I say WAS peas... because I cannot deal with this many poop accidents. That is all.
. We just had a reaction today too. *sigh* I got cocky with all the great new veggies we've been eating and decided to throw a fruit in the mix (plumb) and we got red blotches and bumps on her face within minutes.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#122 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Amazon in the used section--there are lots. I just made sure it was hardcover and the latest edition and had the infotrac--whatever that, is--I don't know--WhoMe?
It's shipped, so I'm excited!
I have no idea what the infotrac is, I don't think mine came with it. I bet it's some sort of cd or something that I never end up using anyway...

Sorry about the reactions

eta: I don't know how thin dd's hair is - it's fine, but there's a lot of it. Since we'd just be looking for general big stuff, I'm not too worried about testing 'old' hair. Time to figure out what style would be really cute on her...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#123 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Crap. We haven't seen a GI rxn for Taslyn in AGES. But alas, her newest favorite food is peas. Or should I say WAS peas... because I cannot deal with this many poop accidents. That is all.
That blows. Maybe she needs to adjust to eating them?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#124 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Chlobo, I can't think of any reason it would be different than any other D supp. I went to their website, I didn't see anything.

So everyone, I just got back from my first real doctor visit for the kids in two and a half years, and it went fairly well. She didn't freak at the phrase "oral chelation" and seemed to somewhat understand what I'm doing--I didn't quiz her but overall I didn't see the "crazy parent" look I was sort of fearing. She thinks DS's speech is a bit difficult to understand, not horrible but a bit and given that I'm sometimes having trouble understanding him, she gave me the names of some speech therapists so they can evaluate him a bit more for various things, I did mention I felt his tongue mobility was not great. So, I will look into insurance for that and call some of the names she recommended, plus I think I will try to find a pediatric dentist and approach the issue (including the v shape in his bottom teeth) from that perspective as well. So, the beginnings of a plan, and I feel reassured that I have a normal doctor who listens well, even with things that are not her area of expertise. :
well congrats! That's so great. Hate the crazy look.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#125 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Kathy, my son's ant bites (different, but sorta similar) were much milder, I think, because I gave him extra vitamin C, above our usual assortment of vit/min supps, and homeopathic ledum helped too. He got 50 bites on his hand and wrist and they weren't painful or itchy (looked horrible though!). And it's okay to dose it acutely, as an acute it's meant for stuff like this.
Unfortunately I never found a Vitamin C for DD2. I have the Allergy C caps for DS, but it uses beef gelatin capsules. I tried putting the powder in juice for it, but no dice. Maybe a smoothie would hide it. I haven't tried that.

Quote:
Back to the bugs, I get rarely get bit, and I also don't react much to them though sometimes I'll get a little itchy. I did read something about the reactions once upon a time, but I forget what. I should check with my sis and see if I told her, since she's the one who swells up. I bet getting bit is a marker of some chemical in your body, and I bet swelling up is a marker of something in your immune system. But again, that doesn't help much!
That was the part I was hoping you'd have the answer for. The why....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Hah.
I have a friend who swears by a spray containing lavender EO.
The one I have that didn't help is: cedar wood oil, rosemary oil, eucalyptol, lemongrass oil, lavender oi, patchouli oil. It's smelly but it didn't keep the bugs from biting her!

Mtn.mama and CS: sorry about the reactions. It stinks to lose foods.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#126 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Everything Probiotics: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...58&postcount=5

Difference between homemade yogurt and homemade kefir
: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...00&postcount=3

Got Kefir? http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=203282 (everything you ever wanted to know about kefir)

Pat

I have a blog.
#127 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Sorry peeps! But hey, I have seen several "testimonial" type photos like that by companies that sell colon cleanse products. So does anyone really know? On the one hand, you'd think, that's really gross, yes I want this cr@p out of my body. But on the other hand, is it possible that the herbs and stuff you are doing as part of the colon cleanse actually cause you to have poop like that?

What do you guys think? Do you think we actually need to be "cleaned" out?
I've tried jars of colon cleansing pills before. About 5 years ago. Having seen pics and read about the kinds of things that came out of people, I was surprised when nothing like that came out of me. My poop was a little blacker for a little while. And maybe a little thicker in diameter.

Also, I felt a gentle fluttering sensation in my abdomen. Kinda like the first kicks you feel during pregnancy, that you aren't sure if it was a kick or not.

Quote:
Now, see, that's what I am talking about. So you say your mom and grandma don't get cavities, but they get the calculus too? I really want to dig around for answers about this, because on the one hand I think it could give us clues to how we are really "supposed" to eat. And, secondly, because I don't want to keep taking him back to the dentist to have the stuff scraped off if in fact it's actually protective. It's a quandary I've been thinking about for months now and I really have no idea of the right answer or where to look.
Keep in mind that I am mildly tongue tied.

The tongue tie runs on my father's side of the family. My sister and I take after him, mostly. (Except the teeth. And my hair comes from my mother's side.)

I guess my mother must have had imbalances if I have tongue tie. But perhaps if I had DNA more like hers and less like Dad's, I might not have had tongue tie.

---------

Re bug bites:

Those gnats/noseeums, we call them black flies.

When I was a child of about 10, I got hundreds of bites over the course of a day or 2, and I ended up with flu-like symptoms. I can't say for sure that it was due to the toxin in the bites, but it seems likely. I am not "allergic" to bug bites or bee stings.

My mother, on the other hand, has a reaction. Nothing life-threatening. When she gets a bee sting, it turns into a large red spot, around 3 inches in diameter, which fades to brown and lasts months. They are mildly itchy. She once was mowing the lawn and went over a nest hidden by the grass, and got maybe 20 stings on her legs at once. She was covered with brown spots for months.

She also gets mosquito bites and black fly bites that are itchier and redder and more swollen than other people's.

ANYONE try the B1 patches that are supposed to keep bugs from biting you? Supposedly, it goes directly into your blood stream and then the excess is excreted through the skin, repulsing the bugs. The company that makes them says that oral B1 wouldn't do the same thing.

Kathy, could it be mites?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#128 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Re bug bites:

Those gnats/noseeums, we call them black flies.

When I was a child of about 10, I got hundreds of bites over the course of a day or 2, and I ended up with flu-like symptoms. I can't say for sure that it was due to the toxin in the bites, but it seems likely. I am not "allergic" to bug bites or bee stings.

My mother, on the other hand, has a reaction. Nothing life-threatening. When she gets a bee sting, it turns into a large red spot, around 3 inches in diameter, which fades to brown and lasts months. They are mildly itchy. She once was mowing the lawn and went over a nest hidden by the grass, and got maybe 20 stings on her legs at once. She was covered with brown spots for months.

She also gets mosquito bites and black fly bites that are itchier and redder and more swollen than other people's.

ANYONE try the B1 patches that are supposed to keep bugs from biting you? Supposedly, it goes directly into your blood stream and then the excess is excreted through the skin, repulsing the bugs. The company that makes them says that oral B1 wouldn't do the same thing.

Kathy, could it be mites?
I thought black flies were something else completely. Because those are big in August around here. I just looked them up on Wikipedia. The gnats around here now are just nuisance. They just congregate in big clouds and they don't really "bite". Not like the black flies in August, where restaurants have to close down their outdoor seating on some days.

Mites - like dust mites? All the mattresses are encased, but the pillows aren't. Of course the pillow is only a month old. I should get some encasers when I go to Walmart this week. It seems to be after she's in the sandbox. But the other kids are in the sandbox too, just not as much. Are the B1 patches something that are prescribed?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#129 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 PM

Kathy, My DS went to camp last week and wore a bug band (and at night put it on his cot post). He went the whole week with very few bug bites where the other kids were covered with them. You can find them on amazon. My DH is chemical sensitive and found these last summer for himself to use.
#130 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Kathy, there are tons of kinds of mites. Not all of them live in mattresses and stuff. Some probably like to live in sand.

No, the B1 patches are OTC. I think they are called Don't Bite Me patches. Google them and see if you are interested. I have 2 free samples somewhere that I didn't use. I can mail them to you if you want to try them out.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#131 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Today is the first day in about a month that life has been normal--not travelling, not with visitors, not with people working on the house. And it's crazy-hot here and I'm going nuts. I forgot just how hot the summer is, and I'm not sure how we're going to manage this--insulation is a joke in this house (I should look into quick fixes ASAP) but we're really stuck inside for most of the day.

And I'm going through one of those periods where I wish we could just eat anything. Most of the time I think I'm pretty happy with the limitations, because a lot of good things have happened, but I don't want to cook, and we need to get through the rest of the week before we have a weekend, though to be fair, I don't want to cook all weekend either. I need to work on my attitude, I think. I hope everyone else is at a nicer place in terms of summer weather and/or good attitudes.

Ellasmom--seriously, even if it's just to organize all your stuff, putting together a thread for you and Ella could help. And if we can offer any ideas, maybe things to do now, maybe to try in a bit, and if you can find the time to actually do it, I'm sure we'd all offer all we could.
#132 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Is that because then you get the most recent results? Or does the hair do something that makes it less accurate when it's longer? And how much square inch-age are we talking? I was thinking something that was really short in the back could work well all around...
im not sure but the company said it *had* to be the hair 1 inch from the scalp. it was about 2 tbsp of hair total which would have been way too much for dh to agree to. he just said "no" and im at peace with that. we have a urine porphyrins test that i would LOVE to get going on but dd's urine keeps coming up too dilute because she bfs all night still. if you could do that one, my ped swears by it and says that it is far more accurate than the hair tst. it shows hgb in various stages of maturity as an indication of what chemical is blocking further development of the hgb. it can only be done in france though so i think its pretty pricey. it costs 70$ just to ship!
you were spot on when you figured out that my reactions are from the b12 and not just an ingredient. i gave myself my first injection of straight b12 last night and i did half the dosage. well last night and a good part of today i was horribly depressed and furious about everything. it didnt help that ella was up until 3:30 am and i was totally exhausted.
im going to try to weather the storm for a bit and continue the injections, but i made an appt with a new doc for me who has a nutritionalist with whom i will be able to consult. hopefully the detox sx wont continue to be horrible? who knows...
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I would assume it's because you want the most recent stuff, but that's just my guess. It is a certain weight, but I think it ended up being a few square inches of hair off DD's head. Of course her hair is still pretty thin, so with thicker hair it might not be as noticeable.

. We just had a reaction today too. *sigh* I got cocky with all the great new veggies we've been eating and decided to throw a fruit in the mix (plumb) and we got red blotches and bumps on her face within minutes.
so sorry cs! but im so happy for you that other veggies are working. which ones seem ok for you (im always chumming for ideas ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Unfortunately I never found a Vitamin C for DD2. I have the Allergy C caps for DS, but it uses beef gelatin capsules. I tried putting the powder in juice for it, but no dice. Maybe a smoothie would hide it. I haven't tried that.

That was the part I was hoping you'd have the answer for. The why....

The one I have that didn't help is: cedar wood oil, rosemary oil, eucalyptol, lemongrass oil, lavender oi, patchouli oil. It's smelly but it didn't keep the bugs from biting her!

Mtn.mama and CS: sorry about the reactions. It stinks to lose foods.
twinlabs quercetin with C and perque C are the ones i use

ty girls for encouraging me to do my own thread. i feel very
#133 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Not a great day here but it had it's good points.
Woke up feeling terrible. Nauseated, sore all over, headache, my one breast was KILLING me (yeah, you can tell I'm comfortable with you all ). DH let me sleep while he took the older boys for a ride in the car (read: He took them with him when he went to get coffee), then apparently told them not to bug me when they got back. So I got a little "extra" sleep (comparatively speaking). DS2 decided that he would be nice and help mom out by nursing on the sore breast, which interestingly really did help- it doesn't hurt since he did. I think maybe I was going to hard with the pump or something?
My BIL's cat has apparently decided that we are her family and we need to learn to hunt. She brought us a half-dead bird a couple of days ago and, today, brought us a half-dead bunny. I nearly cried when I saw it. I wouldn't care so much if she'd actually EAT them but no... I guess we're supposed to. They're "gifts" for us, after all. Poor cat.
I took 10 minutes this afternoon for an imaginary massage. Laid on the bed and imagined one of my friends working all the knots out of my back and shoulders for me. Helped some, but not as much as a real massage would, I'm sure. That probably sounds really stupid, but it's something I learned to do a long time ago that helped me sleep/relax.
Marius batted at a toy today. : Repeatedly, so I know it wasn't just a fluke.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#134 of 622 Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 PM

Ellasmama

I'm pming you.

Yes the urine test is definitely more accurate. And the most recent hair (for whoMe) is essential to know what the body is kicking out now. Things do change in pretty short order at times.

JR...good for you on the virtual massage! Brilliant! I'm also glad your ds helped you! And I can certainly tell you that overdoing it with the pump is NO fun. As someone who pumped exclusively for a kiddo and didn't get another onto breast until over 5 months I am well acquainted with the every 2 hours on the pump and sensations that follow! It will hopefully end soon. Are you sure you have the right size phlanges? That makes such a difference!
#135 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 AM

JR- sorry for the rough day. Hope tomorrow is better! And yay Marius for batting at toys already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
so sorry cs! but im so happy for you that other veggies are working. which ones seem ok for you (im always chumming for ideas ).
Sorry about the b12 reaction.

Let's see- in the last 2 weeks, I have brought home with me: beets (w/greens), rainbow chard, green garlic, garlic swirls, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, a few varieties of lettuce, cabbage, and sugar snap peas. I was pretty hesitant on the peas, because DD definitely reacted to them last time I had them (over a year ago). But I ate them 3 days in a row, and NO REACTION!! I am so excited- they are by far my favorite snack in the whole world. Next week I will let DD try them too- I'm sure she will love them, and I would love to get some more raw foods into her diet since most of what we eat is cooked.
The first week that I was eating the greens, DD got a little eczema at the corners of her mouth, but the second week she was fine with them... so maybe it wasn't the greens after all. But she's doing great with all the veggies so far, which is really exciting because this is some of the best produce I've ever eaten. :::

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#136 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 AM

Speaking of hair...I am SO GRAY!! I was feeling adventurous today, and got a hair cut. I have (had) really, really thick long hair, and it had grown all the way to the end of my back, and I just got it cut to, oh just below my ears!
I didn't really want to go quite this short, but she was a little pushy, and hey, it'll grow back. And I get to make a nice big fat donation to Locks of Love.

Anyway, now that I have this hip new short cut, my gray hair is immensely emphasized. I didn't really realize just HOW gray I had become. I would say my hair is close to 40% gray! That is not cool! I am only 37! There has simply GOT to be a nutritional component to this. I always said I would never color my hair and I would receive gray hair and wrinkles as badges of wisdom. However I am feeling a little self-conscious today! Especially standing next to my husband who is 2.5 yrs older and hasn't one single gray strand on his entire head!

Tanya, sorry you are feeling worn out about the food. I know the feeling, I wish I could come over and bring you dinner! And some ice cubes!

cs, I missed a few weeks here, but it sounds like you had something really disastrous happen, like flooding?? Man, I am so sorry, and I hope everything is working out. As if you don't have enough to worry about! Awesome on the produce! Perfect time of year to be able to eat all those beautiful fresh local foods!

JR, hugs to you with the breastfeeding struggles! You are an amazing mama! I hope you are taking care of yourself and sleeping!

I also get eaten alive by the bugs. I have heard the theory that if you take B vitamins, it helps, but it didn't change for me, unless I wasn't taking enough.

Okay, someone tell me what magic vitamin I am deficient in to reverse this gray hair NOW!
#137 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 AM

Ellasmama, I'm sorry
I can't search right now, but really really look up chronic fatigue and methylation and possibly dmg. The first few sites I saw were worried about methylcobalamin methylating mercury, which allows it to cross the blood brain barrier. I wouldn't just push this one unless you +really* know what you're doing. You'll get sorted out. Now you know even more than you didbefore. Every bit is infinitely valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Okay, someone tell me what magic vitamin I am deficient in to reverse this gray hair NOW!
I've heard gray hair related to high copper, and to low coper and to high hydrogen peroxide, and to about a million other things. My aunt, who was totally gray at about 30 started a liquid vitamin/mineral supplement at about 60, and had brown hair grow back in. No clue what it was, but see, there's definitely hope! My little sis has significant gray already at 25...

#138 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I've heard gray hair related to high copper, and to low coper and to high hydrogen peroxide, and to about a million other things. My aunt, who was totally gray at about 30 started a liquid vitamin/mineral supplement at about 60, and had brown hair grow back in. No clue what it was, but see, there's definitely hope! My little sis has significant gray already at 25...
Thanks, I think I am going to look into that copper test. Not because I'm vain and want my brown hair back (well okay yes I do), but because I just really feel that it is a sign of something askew nutritionally, biochemically, whatever.

Yes, and I also forgot to add hugs to ellasmama too. You are such an amazing patient and optimistic mama, especially given all that you are going through!
#139 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 AM

I have only heard the hair thing related to low HCL which really (IMO) just means low zinc. And high copper would mean low zinc which is just a different way of seeing things (glass half full or half empty? )

IT would be awesome to try! I know people who have reversed it, but since that wasn't exactly their aim it's hard to say what worked. Many people in the raw world say they have by drinking green juices and smoothies. Ann Wigmore was pretty famous for having reversed a full head of gray hair in her 80's. IT was so remarkable (went from all gray to black) that she was accused of coloring it-at which point she submitted to having it tested by a few of her students. It can back clear-she had naturally reversed it.

What makes sense is that drinking alot of greens would take a major burden off that phase of digestion and preserve the HCl. IT would also remineralize. It would be awesome if we had people here to do it!!!! I have no gray or I'd try in a heartbeat! Then again, I drink greens daily and have a decent zinc copper ratio last I checked.
#140 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
I have only heard the hair thing related to low HCL which really (IMO) just means low zinc. And high copper would mean low zinc which is just a different way of seeing things (glass half full or half empty? )

IT would be awesome to try! I know people who have reversed it, but since that wasn't exactly their aim it's hard to say what worked. Many people in the raw world say they have by drinking green juices and smoothies. Ann Wigmore was pretty famous for having reversed a full head of gray hair in her 80's. IT was so remarkable (went from all gray to black) that she was accused of coloring it-at which point she submitted to having it tested by a few of her students. It can back clear-she had naturally reversed it.

What makes sense is that drinking alot of greens would take a major burden off that phase of digestion and preserve the HCl. IT would also remineralize. It would be awesome if we had people here to do it!!!! I have no gray or I'd try in a heartbeat! Then again, I drink greens daily and have a decent zinc copper ratio last I checked.
Hmmm. Well I have high copper & presumed low zinc. And it wouldn't shock me to have low HCL. How much green juice do I have to drink to make a difference? I'm easing into this. Would love to get rid of my grey.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#141 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 AM

Serial posting:

So on Sunday night I came down with an intestinal bug. I had had chills & the big d. I spent most of Monday on the couch and was only able to drink water. I felt better on Tuesday and had some oatmeal and chicken soup. Ditto on Wednesday. My poops are slowly getting back to firm. I haven't had any of my supplements

Anyhow, on Tuesday night DS slept from 8:15-5am for the first time EVER. Then he nursed & went back to sleep. Last night it was the same thing. And he is in the BEST mood. And last night he ate a WHOLE chicken sausage for dinner.

Do you think this was a coincidence? If not, how the heck do I go about figuring out what was bothering him? I can't keep eating chicken soup although it is tempting.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#142 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 AM

WOW. I don't know that that's a coincidence, much as I'd love to say it is. Holy carp. Well, you could *try* energetic testing just to see! There are lots of mamas here who are dabbling. Maybe if you posted a list we could all independently test and then check results! IF everyone got the same answer, it may be a place to start! Or...you could just think I'm nuts. LOL.

On the greens front-Boutenko does talk about several people's experiences with this in her book Green for Life. I want to say it was under a month...but I'll have to go check. I think she had them do a quart a day.
#143 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
WOW. I don't know that that's a coincidence, much as I'd love to say it is. Holy carp. Well, you could *try* energetic testing just to see! There are lots of mamas here who are dabbling. Maybe if you posted a list we could all independently test and then check results! IF everyone got the same answer, it may be a place to start! Or...you could just think I'm nuts. LOL.

On the greens front-Boutenko does talk about several people's experiences with this in her book Green for Life. I want to say it was under a month...but I'll have to go check. I think she had them do a quart a day.
Yes, I didn't think it was a coincidence either. When I asked my husband about it he said "Huh, I didn't notice". Good thing he's not driving the train.

I'd never think you're nuts. But what exactly do you mean? Post a list of foods and everyone tests to see if they are bad? I'm certainly game if others are.

And holy cow - a quart of smoothie a day?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#144 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 AM

a quart is easy to do! That's my norm.

Yeah on the rest. Anyone who muscle tests, pendulum tests, crystal test, intuitive reads etc. I"d start a new thread to get people's attention. Post a list of foods/supplements and see what we come up with. We can all cut and paste, test and pm you with the answers. It's free. It may or may not work. BUT, if it DOES and everyone comes back with basically the same answers....then it's something. If not, you didn't lose anything but the time it took to type it out and read responses. It could be the start of some crazy twists and turns on the allergy forum!
#145 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 10:52 AM

ok now that i've cooled off a bit (and since i started my 2nd PP cycle yesterday, prehaps i was taking things a bit personally), i need to go back and reread the forum and reply to all you mamas. :

carren - that does not sound like a coincidence, unfortunately. if you post your list, i'll give the remote crystal testing a go. also, we do a gallon of water kefir (split between one adult, two kids and and soaking grains) every 2 to 3 days.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#146 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm just getting caught up, now I sorta get the other thread, Chlobo (responded with a question there first).

Are there any books that talk, in a somewhat balanced way, about raw vs cooked foods? Diets like SCD and GAPS really (I think) do the cooked food thing at the beginning, and I thought it was related to digestive weakness, but raw seems to have obvious benefits. How do we figure out, other than individual trial-and-error, which way to go? It's hard to do trial-and-error on someone (DH) who doesn't feel better or worse. Clearly I need to line up more things to get him feeling better, but figuring out the right combination is tricky.
#147 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
ok now that i've cooled off a bit (and since i started my 2nd PP cycle yesterday, prehaps i was taking things a bit personally), i need to go back and reread the forum and reply to all you mamas. :

carren - that does not sound like a coincidence, unfortunately. if you post your list, i'll give the remote crystal testing a go. also, we do a gallon of water kefir (split between one adult, two kids and and soaking grains) every 2 to 3 days.
Ok. I posted a list in another thread. I drink water kefir as well. Should add to the list.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#148 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Carren, can you link it?

Tanya, I'm not sure there IS a balanced view out there. Not one I've seen anyway. I think the reason the smoothies/juices work is that it takes some of the effort of breakdown out of the picture. I don't think raw is better for most people with gut problems, but juicing can be quite beneficial. THen the cell wall is broken and the nutrients are more accessible.

Plus, I think many of these folks in the experiment were eating SAD so adding a quart of blended or juiced greens a day was a big deal.

From an anecdotal standpoint I don't do well with raw veggies unless they are juiced. Blended is still an issue for me. My digestive issues were almost totally resolved when I switched to juicing my veggies.
#149 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Carren, can you link it?

Tanya, I'm not sure there IS a balanced view out there. Not one I've seen anyway. I think the reason the smoothies/juices work is that it takes some of the effort of breakdown out of the picture. I don't think raw is better for most people with gut problems, but juicing can be quite beneficial. THen the cell wall is broken and the nutrients are more accessible.

Plus, I think many of these folks in the experiment were eating SAD so adding a quart of blended or juiced greens a day was a big deal.

From an anecdotal standpoint I don't do well with raw veggies unless they are juiced. Blended is still an issue for me. My digestive issues were almost totally resolved when I switched to juicing my veggies.
Can you tell me what kind of juicer you use again? We have a Breville and I'm told that the motorized version heats things up and destroys some of the benefits. Of course i learned this after I purchased it. Do you use the kind that juices more gently?

Here is a link to my thead:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1103178

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#150 of 622 Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM

On the gray hair, I'm leaning more towards the hydrogen peroxide theory, just cause it seems like a more comprehensive explanation. Low HCl could certainly set the stage for high h2o2 though. It just seems like if it were mostly a zinc thing it'd be easier to fix. And my sister doesn't have obvious zinc issues. I don't have visible gray myself, but I'm sure she'd be willing to play a bit and report back. I'm going to burst the raw bubble, though. The aunt who was completely gray at 30 and who grew some brown on the liquid supp is now 100% raw, has been for years now, and her hair is whiter than ever. She feels great, though!

Somehow I get all the useful data points in that my family never fits the standard explanations of anything. Gotta push that edge somehow...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page