The Detox Pathway Dumb Question Thread... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to say how much in utter total amazement I hold many of you ladies. I have poured over your threads for hours and learned more than I can tell you.

I appreciate the "beginner" and "intro" threads and I've combed through them! I plan on taking a biochem class to understand the detox pathways better. Some of them are very complex.

I'm assuming from my reading (and correct me if I'm wrong) that opening pathways is used as opposed to a lifetime of elimination diets. It is an effort to "fix" a broken digestive/immune system.

Here's a few basic questions.

1. Do you have any basic guidelines when determining whether to increase or eliminate foods, nutrients or supplements?

2. How long does this process take? Does it culminate in a total cure or a carefully balanced model that must constantly be monitored and modified?

3. Can opening of detox pathways occur in tandem with medications? What about those with chronic illness?

4. This is an allergy forum but I'm here for a lot of intolerances manifest in my children. I see this as a symptom of something awry and also a major cause of behavioral problems and medical discomfort. Is this correct? Should I be HERE?

5. How can I participate best in this community? I'm not nearly as helpful as many here and I regret that. I feel like I "need" your help but I'm not sure I deserve it.

I have lots of other dumb questions too that escape me right now.

Any help very much appreciated!!!
#2 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie-fleur View Post
I want to say how much in utter total amazement I hold many of you ladies. I have poured over your threads for hours and learned more than I can tell you.

I appreciate the "beginner" and "intro" threads and I've combed through them! I plan on taking a biochem class to understand the detox pathways better. Some of them are very complex.

I'm assuming from my reading (and correct me if I'm wrong) that opening pathways is used as opposed to a lifetime of elimination diets. It is an effort to "fix" a broken digestive/immune system.

Here's a few basic questions.

1. Do you have any basic guidelines when determining whether to increase or eliminate foods, nutrients or supplements?

I'll leave the nutrient part to others, we've had odd ups and downs. In terms of food, I feel gluten and dairy are non-negotiable for us, they need to be out, and I kept out the minor intolerances for a long time, now I let them in in small amounts, basically for convenience and/or nutrition. I feel bad about the convenience, but I try to be forgiving of myself as I work on this.

2. How long does this process take? Does it culminate in a total cure or a carefully balanced model that must constantly be monitored and modified?

I think this depends mostly on why your detox pathways got messed up. For me and my kids, we have significant accumulation of toxins, a mix of heavy metals and probably an assortment of just weird modern chemicals, and so for us, we would be in a stuck place until we could get them out. I use a fairly typical list of ASD-type supps for me and the kids, my kids got their toxins from me, and oral chelation to make real progress. Other folks have very different stories, most of which I think/hope are a bit more straightforward. For us, I think we'll be mostly done in less than 3 years.

I am not sure we'll ever be able to consume gluten, I think everything else will eventually be good, gluten I'm just not sure of. I don't expect that we'll always be on edge, but I will always be much more aware of nutrients and whether we're getting out of balance on anything, and hopefully I'll know the signs to look for and how to correct things.

3. Can opening of detox pathways occur in tandem with medications? What about those with chronic illness?

It seems like it'd be harder, because the person would have to detoxify the meds in addition to the usual stuff. But unless you can find a safe, effective alternative, it still seems better to work on this while using the meds than not work on it.

4. This is an allergy forum but I'm here for a lot of intolerances manifest in my children. I see this as a symptom of something awry and also a major cause of behavioral problems and medical discomfort. Is this correct? Should I be HERE?

That's the reason I hang out here, plus the cool people I've met, even though our intolerance list is fairly short, and at this point I only minimize, not completely avoid, my son's three minor intolerances (vs gluten and dairy which we absolutely avoid).

5. How can I participate best in this community? I'm not nearly as helpful as many here and I regret that. I feel like I "need" your help but I'm not sure I deserve it.

I don't think there's a criteria for deserving good things, and I think most of us feel that we've benefitted more than we've given. I know I feel that way. I found that it took a while to find my niche, to figure out what I had to offer that was helpful, I think it's a process we've all gone through.

I have lots of other dumb questions too that escape me right now.

Any help very much appreciated!!!
almost forgot my "." outside the quote

eta: 3 years from when I figured out what our underlying problem was.
#3 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie-fleur View Post

I am still completely confused by detox pathways so I'm not answering those.

But there aren't many dumb questions on here. Most of us here we receive more than we give. I have learned so much here. My kids (and I) are all intolerances, not IgE allergies. And I feel like I belong here.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I should start the completely clueless detoxification pathway thread because I don't really have a clue. Is there anywhere on this site where I can find some kind of basic overview about this or can anyone point me to where I might find some info?

thanks so much

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12 and #4 stork-boy.gif due 9/2014!
#5 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM

Where to Start? Help 101

I've been contributing a bunch, but look at when I joined. I've been reading these boards since about a year before then I really, really don't understand the uncomfortable feeling of just taking and not contributing. Everyone has to start somewhere - if we all knew everything already, there'd be no point of a board like this! And anyone who needs help and is looking for it deserves it in my book.

So bearing in mind that I haven't finished this process and I so I don't *really* know what I'm doing, I decided that for us, the only foods we're avoiding is stuff that I worry is messing with dd's digestion, IgE reactions, and things that I can't deal with the reaction (like she's up all night long, crying). Anything behavioral gets looked at from a nutrient standpoint first. And getting the nutrients is first priority. Foods are preferred, but if that's not happening, I'm more interested in supping to avoid stress than trying to choreograph every bite we eat.

When I am able to identify a nutrient we need and add it, the results are typically apparent within just a couple days. It's a lot slower to figure out what we need and how best to get it, though. Dd is suspicious of anything that I might have doctored. She's a great eater otherwise, though (begged for brussels sprouts and mushrooms at the store today), and so I don't want to push it. That makes for some slow going with her and some extra creativity with me

In theory, dealing with all this stuff and detoxing properly will significantly help with chronic illness. We're not dealing with any of that here, so it's not like I know what I'm talking about, but I think my approach would be to try to heal from the inside out and check in regularly to make sure the medication is the appropriate dose, etc.

99% of our 'allergies' are actually intolerances. I hope. The line is really blurry, though - are IgG reactions intolerances or allergies? How about IgA? Where do celiac and gluten sensitivity fall in? This subforum seems to be mostly about people who are avoiding specific foods for health reasons (rather than moral ones).

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page