Happy, post 4th Chat - Page 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#811 of 830 Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haven't been able to contribute much lately - I ran out of vits and AF is visiting for the second time this month (WTF!), but I just wanted to pop an and say - if you haven't checked out Cathe Olson's new ice cream book, do it. Fab recipes for vegan ice cream, I see an ice cream maker in my near future.
Also, www.naturamart.com has 20% off many products until midnight PST tonight with the code "health", I think Metagenics and Pure Encapsulations may be excluded, and they always have a code for Thorne, but if you use any Perque products it could be a great deal.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#812 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

The most amazing dream came to me last night. It was such an uplifting experience. Dh was going out of town and we argued about something related to health, he is mainstream about it and I'm, ummm... not. I had to get back to take care of ds and my friend came to pick me up, as dh rode off, our discussion unsettling and incomplete. My friend had called a bunch of spiritual support for me, although I wouldn't have asked for or accepted it, if offered.

Women (and a few men and children in the background) began to show up; they were familiar but I hadn't met them (like avatars of people I "know" but haven't met), and then they began a chant, or mantra, singing with and of positive intention... and there were some things flying around, I thought they were owls, but was told they were sprites, I almost glimpsed some fairies hiding and they became what I normally expected to see. It was like they were there all along, but were only visible when I was not in my head. I was worried about my son needing me and needing to get back. But, the women's ritual mantras helped me to understand that we were each exactly where we needed to be. It was so supporting and the love and wisdom of the many women was amazing. I woke up smiling.

(might have been the pepperoni pizza last night)

Pat

I have a blog.
#813 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Kathy,
It just occured to me... How're you getting iodine into your kids? Between the corn problem (no iodized salt) and the seaweed problem, what have you been doing to ensure you and your kids are getting enough iodine/iodide? Do you supp it?
I'm getting it through sushi. The kids probably aren't getting it at all. I should supplement that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Speaking of which, Kathy, are you still considering a hair test for one of the kids? I'm so nosy, but I find these things fascinating.
I forgot about that. I should do it this summer while I have money in my HSA (since we're not seeing the osteopath). I think I have enough in there to get both kids done EXCEPT I just gave DS a buzz cut yesterday. It was the longest it's ever been - like 2 inches!! He's always had a buzz. So now I'll have to wait a while for him... WAIT. I had put it all in a plastic container last night... AHA. I got it out of the garbage. Fully intact and kept the middle clump. I'm good to go. Now I just have to order a couple of tests. Thank you Tanya. You caught me before it was covered in the garbage!!

SIL tasted my pancakes this morning and declared them bland. She said they probably needed salt, which is funny, because the last time she was here she accused me of oversalting all my food!!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#814 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Speaking of which, Kathy, are you still considering a hair test for one of the kids? I'm so nosy, but I find these things fascinating.
Last time I got the wrong one. I think I got the Toxic Elements. I just want the regular "Hair Elements" right? If it's through Doctorsdata.com, does anyone remember where I can find the discount code? I have enough money in my HSA account to get it for both kids. I could do it right now if I had the code....

If it's through DirectLabs, is there a code, or was that only if it was through doctor's data? I think I paid full price last time...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#815 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 PM

I ordered through Direct Labs and mentioned the autism mercury yahoo group over the phone. Taslyn's test was $84.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#816 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Omg, Kathy, your SIL's annoying me and I'm not even there. How incredibly rude.
I'm glad you had such a positive dream, Pat.
I've been nic-fitting lately (wanting a smoke, for those unfamiliar with that vernacular). It's been over a year since I smoked now. I lit my SIL's cigarette for her a few days ago on the toaster b/c no one had another way to light it and it made me feel sick, even without inhaling at all, just "puffing" the smoke into my mouth. That wasn't the catalyst, it's what's keeping me from *actually* smoking though. If just one "puff", not even inhaled, makes me feel sick, imagine how terrible I'd feel from a whole smoke? And I used to do that to myself multiple times daily? Why?! And still, even knowing all that, I have all this desire for a smoke. Talk about addiction.

ETA: I probably should mention that I'm actually allergic to smoke and nicotine (and yet smoked for 20 years, how's that for smart?).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#817 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Omg, Kathy, your SIL's annoying me and I'm not even there. How incredibly rude.
She's annoying me too! :

Quote:
I've been nic-fitting lately (wanting a smoke, for those unfamiliar with that vernacular). If just one "puff", not even inhaled, makes me feel sick, imagine how terrible I'd feel from a whole smoke? And I used to do that to myself multiple times daily? Why?! And still, even knowing all that, I have all this desire for a smoke. Talk about addiction.

ETA: I probably should mention that I'm actually allergic to smoke and nicotine (and yet smoked for 20 years, how's that for smart?).
Stay strong. Think how unhealthy it would be for ALL of you, not just you. My DH used to smoke when we were first dating, and I'm amazed that I was still attracted to him (okay, not really, I'd be attracted to him no matter what). It takes amazing willpower to stop once you start, so don't throw it away!! You're in such a better place without it. Besides, it's really EXPENSIVE now!!

#818 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Last time I got the wrong one. I think I got the Toxic Elements. I just want the regular "Hair Elements" right? If it's through Doctorsdata.com, does anyone remember where I can find the discount code? I have enough money in my HSA account to get it for both kids. I could do it right now if I had the code....

If it's through DirectLabs, is there a code, or was that only if it was through doctor's data? I think I paid full price last time...
I think you need a doc rx to go direct through doctorsdata, so I went via directlabs.

And I am so freaked out by dishes. Here's a link to a test that was run on 1500 different dishes in 2007 - look how many fail. Well recognized brands. I should say, they test high for lead, not for leaching lead, which is technically different. However, any glaze with years of use and dishwashers etc will start to leach, it's just a question of how much. Anyhow, I just ordered a set of clear tempered glass dinnerware. I'm so done with being freaked out by my dishes (even though I'm keeping some samples in case DS' hair exposures are current, and I need to figure out where they're coming from).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#819 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 06:41 PM

so I'm trying to make the English Muffins. They are a sticky mess. They never were "dry". How cool is the tapioca supposed to be? How clear before you stop cooking?

Help!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#820 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Mamafish, I went around the house and crystal tested our sink, all of our cast iron, and most of our dishes. I'm thinking about stainless steel dishes? Glass doesn't last around here. Plus, doesn't it often have lead in it? FTR, I only threw out one plate. But I would have tossed it all if it tested as bad.

And on a related topic, I ran across this page talking about zinc-copper imbalances and wanted to copy-paste the whole page, but I guess a link will have to suffice. http://www.drkaslow.com/html/zinc-co...mbalances.html

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#821 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
so I'm trying to make the English Muffins. They are a sticky mess. They never were "dry". How cool is the tapioca supposed to be? How clear before you stop cooking?

Help!
I don't know how much humidity plays a role.
My tapioca takes about 2 minutes to get "clear" and then I get the best results if I let it cool about 20-30 minutes.

And the SIL saga continues.... the swiss chard was too tough (it was delicious sauteed, but my brother says she usually boils the heck out of hers).

#822 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
And the SIL saga continues.... the swiss chard was too tough (it was delicious sauteed, but my brother says she usually boils the heck out of hers).
Yet YOUR food is "un-nutritious."

Good news! We had our first ever "fish night" on my 5 week plan and the kids both LOVED the salmon cakes I made.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#823 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 PM

So, I had gluten a few times today. Significant amounts. I don't feel the slightest bit different. I'll be paying attention for a while to see if anything changes.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#824 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Good news! We had our first ever "fish night" on my 5 week plan and the kids both LOVED the salmon cakes I made.
Yay for fish night!! hmmmm.... can I make salmon cakes with just salmon and buckwheat? I have onions, scallion, and garlic too... What else do you put in yours? I love salmon patties.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#825 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 AM

So. ALL of my food preferences have completely changed. Which is weird. I'm not wanting home cooked food. I'm not wanting fat. I'm not eating ghee hardly at all (from like 6oz/day before). I'm craving gluten and dairy for the first time - I didn't even have a hard time giving them up before. I'm wanting water, and not salt. *Needing* carbs at meals. Getting reactive hypoglycemia if I just eat a bite as an appetizer - last night I ate a strawberry then got dizzy and had to sit down I'm also feeling sickest *after* eating.

And the weirdest thing is that I didn't get *any* of this with dd - hardly any cravings/nausea at all. I *think* it's a good sign of good hormone levels? (I think they were too low before) but man. Gotta work on those detox pathways!

Chose a midwife today and got my blood drawn this morning though! And those salmon cakes sound good. I don't normally like salmon. There's a good salmon vendor at tomorrow's farmer's market - I should get some!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#826 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 AM

Go Shannon! How exciting...

Ben took Taslyn to town this afternoon and reported that she ate 1.5 bananas, a bunch of rice cereal, a couple bites of meat, one french fry, a 1/2 cup of water and 3/4 cup of coffee. Now that is an unprecedented HUGE amount for my child. Yippee!

#827 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 01:12 AM

Yeah, dd's been eating a lot more (though it's cause of a dwindling milk supply) and now it's weird - I have to remember to bring *lots* of food for her, not just a token snack so she can eat like her friends. This girl can EAT! And she's finally starting to lose her belly. I must have been making a ton of milk!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#828 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Mamafish, I went around the house and crystal tested our sink, all of our cast iron, and most of our dishes. I'm thinking about stainless steel dishes? Glass doesn't last around here. Plus, doesn't it often have lead in it? FTR, I only threw out one plate. But I would have tossed it all if it tested as bad.
No, glass is really safe (except leaded crystal). Clear glass is the best. I got serious tempered glass plates, like duralex baking dish tough. Even I probably can't kill those. Glad your stuff tested OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
And the weirdest thing is that I didn't get *any* of this with dd - hardly any cravings/nausea at all. I *think* it's a good sign of good hormone levels?
Or you are having a boy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Ben took Taslyn to town this afternoon and reported that she ate 1.5 bananas, a bunch of rice cereal, a couple bites of meat, one french fry, a 1/2 cup of water and 3/4 cup of coffee. Now that is an unprecedented HUGE amount for my child. Yippee!
Woo hoo for eating - that is a lot of food! And a lot of coffee .

Question on herbal tinctures, milk thistle, etc - if I take them, will they pass through my milk? I want some liver support for DS, but I can't imagine getting those tinctures into him!

I just ordered a gadzillion kirkman labs trial size chewables - I need to find one DS will take AND tolerate. Sigh. At this point I've given up on a multi and am just trying to string the pieces together.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#829 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 AM

Okay, so I believe I've mentioned my extensive meal planning before. I finally got a full 5 week meal plan for breakfast, lunch and supper. Breakfast and lunch have a lot of repeats and stuff, so I'm still not done on that front but I feel a lot better about it. However, now I'm reorganizing how I'm doing my plan. Instead of keeping it in my 3-ring binder, I'm going to hang it on my cupboard door. It's just so hard to always be going in a binder. I did this with my "chore list" a long time ago and it's what has kept our house from looking like a tornado came through (some of the time anyway ). I'm going to put each week on a separate sheet of paper and then just change it out every week. I'm working on a "Master shopping list" for each week, as well as a "Pantry stocking list" (items we buy at Costco or other stores in the city- dry goods). Ultimately, I see this saving me a whole lot of time.
What does this have to do with allergies? Nothing really, except... I'm going for a 3 day rotation for meats (at least... I will work on other things later, this meal plan is kind of just holding me together atm) and I find it incredibly interesting how easy it is for me to come up with meal ideas for one meat and not for others.
I wanted to ask too... How does that FitDay thing you were talking about work, Kathy? I was thinking about going over there to check it out before I start planning snacks into our meal plan so I could use the snacks to potentially "shore up" anything (nutrients) we may be missing.

#830 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Join us in the new chat thread: Amazing August Abundant Alternatives.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page