Happy, post 4th Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Is your dh GF? I've heard that being GF and taking CLO (vit A) helps KP...one family actually had it flare when XCon with gluten...they used it as their indicator.
We've all been gfcf for 2 years now, although I really, strongly believe gluten is not good for him, no improvement, and when we decide to cheat and have gluten, he doesn't have any effects (I thought I saw some once, but that didn't repeat, so I guess it was a fluke). I swear, he's going to be harder to get healthy than I was!

Quote:
I was doing both myself, plus just mag at other times. I'd been doing NAT VIT mag calm for about a yr with DD1 when she energy tested that it was hurtful to her. I quit it, but then she began having a more difficult time sleeping so I reintroduced it about two weeks ago. It was helping. Then I read Moneca's post about mercury and it kinda alarmed me, lol. I need to find a new source for her...she really liked the mag calm, darn it. Methyl groups, eh. What about adrenals? Can a child have adrenal issues?
(WhoME, I do so love your brain!)

I've got TMC, Ross. Can you do her protocal with a child? I've done it myself in the past.
Kids can have adrenal issues, is my understanding. It's not guaranteed, even when mom's adrenals are fairly worn down, I don't think mine have noticeable adrenal issues, but yeah, it's possible. I don't know much about TMC.

We're using Now magnesium citrate, fwiw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thx, Tanya--my local HFS usually has NOW products, so I may be able to get some today! :

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#63 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Would you all just STOP having fascinating discussions? I ignored this thread for a couple of weeks because of family stuff. Now that I'm trying to get work done...I can't! This is SO much more interesting than the stuff I'm supposedly paid to read.

(If I get fired, it's all on you women!)

ETA - I cannot get any supplements into DH, and I think he needs a bunch of them! But I did give him a foot soak and rub with Epsom salts last night. (He won't actually take a bath, even in our new, large soaking tub. Baths creep him out for some reason.) He asked what was in the tub and what it did. "Epsom salts - they're just for scrubbing. If you believe what you read on the internet, they're good for getting toxins out. If your body is in need of magnesium, it will absorb it through the skin."

This morning, he called me from his office, clearly panicked and asking for ibuprofen. I thought maybe the mag had given him the runs. (doubt he would tell me or link it back to the Epsom salts, but, hey). No, his neck had snapped and tightened the length of his upper spine. He said he couldn't move, and that he had felt this creeping up on him for the past few days. I would have hoped the mag would have helped prevent this. I don't think I can swing another foot soak/rub for a few days. (He'd get suspicious that I want to be romantic that often!)

Off to call a massage therapist, as he won't do a chiropractor.

Carry on with your fascinating discussion...

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#64 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I just love listening to this high level digestion/biochemistry/detox discussion. You women are AMAZING!!

So many families are benefiting from your observations, analysis, and research.

Thanks, that's all.

Pat

I have a blog.
#65 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You know, I may have had an AHA moment--she may be reacting to the brown sugar I put in the icecream? Is that a possibility? AFAIK, she has never had brown sugar...

She used to be uber sensitive to all sugars but raw honey...dang, I thought we were over that! :
Bummer. My DS can't do cane sugar in any form either. In our ice cream I either do palm sugar or agave or maple syrup (since DD2 can't have beet sugar or honey).

I need to use up some stuff in my freezer so that I can fit the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#66 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
See, I figure the China stuff is okay at the Asian market because it's for them. They're only trying to taint all the food that the Americans buy.

Is it potassium metabisulfite? That's what's in mine.
I love your reasoning.

Yeah, I think that's the preservative in mine too. Which one do you use? I'm using Royal Blossom.

The rash is slowly fading, so maybe it was just a virus after all and not the coconut milk.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#67 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I was doing both myself, plus just mag at other times. I'd been doing NAT VIT mag calm for about a yr with DD1 when she energy tested that it was hurtful to her. I quit it, but then she began having a more difficult time sleeping so I reintroduced it about two weeks ago. It was helping. Then I read Moneca's post about mercury and it kinda alarmed me, lol. I need to find a new source for her...she really liked the mag calm, darn it. Methyl groups, eh. What about adrenals? Can a child have adrenal issues?
(WhoME, I do so love your brain!)
Yeah, a kid can have adrenal issues, esp if mom had them while pg - mom can actually lean on baby's cortisol production in the third trimester

I wonder if the mag tested bad because of the mercury, not the actual mag? We have NOW mag citrate powder, too, I should try it again. It doesn't dissolve well in cold water, and it doesn't taste sour like the natural calm does. It does make lemonade taste more like gatorade, though.

Quote:
You know, I may have had an AHA moment--she may be reacting to the brown sugar I put in the icecream? Is that a possibility? AFAIK, she has never had brown sugar...

She used to be uber sensitive to all sugars but raw honey...dang, I thought we were over that! :
Sugar/insulin fuels inflammation (honey less so). Sugar also messes with your mineral balance, especially serum calcium and phosphorus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
We've all been gfcf for 2 years now, although I really, strongly believe gluten is not good for him, no improvement, and when we decide to cheat and have gluten, he doesn't have any effects (I thought I saw some once, but that didn't repeat, so I guess it was a fluke). I swear, he's going to be harder to get healthy than I was!
Your dh really sounds like he's got so many of the same issues as me and my mom's side of the family. I still have yet to experience a gluten reaction... Does he pass the beet test?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#68 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Your dh really sounds like he's got so many of the same issues as me and my mom's side of the family. I still have yet to experience a gluten reaction... Does he pass the beet test?
I haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I'll try it this week. If I do it for dinner, I can check DS's diaper overnight (unless it's faster than that! maybe I need to run after him too), and maybe it's worthwhile to run after my daughter and see how her pee turns out. She and DH are the ones I'd suspect the most (watch me be completely wrong). I'll make sure not to have kimchee with dinner that night, just to make sure we don't mask anything. But that could be a worthwhile test if we fail... Okay, this is getting too fun, glad DH can't hear my thoughts, I know he sometimes feels like a guinea pig.
#69 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Okay, so I've been getting intermittent headaches lately. I had just shrugged them off as being from lack of sleep, but they went away and then came back and I just now realized the connection.
My green smoothies.
I've been putting pineapple, oranges, a little lemon juice and honey and spinach in them. And a banana. And the day AFTER I have a smoothie, I have a headache.
So either I'm reacting to one of the foods (honey? I eat everything else on a fairly regular basis) or I'm somehow mobilizing something with my smoothies.

ETA:
When I got my ELISA done, one of the incredibly few foods that came back reactive AT ALL was banana- it showed up as just barely on the scale. But I can eat bananas outside of a smoothie with no reaction. Wth?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#70 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I love your reasoning.

Yeah, I think that's the preservative in mine too. Which one do you use? I'm using Royal Blossom.

The rash is slowly fading, so maybe it was just a virus after all and not the coconut milk.
Mine is Aroy-D coconut milk.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#71 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 PM

ok, I need a cal/mag/zinc supplement that I can get the kids to take.

any ideas? Then I need a separate mag supplement to take at night in place of the natural calm. Any ideas?

Oh, and remind me not to eat chocolate coconut milk ice cream before bed. I can't sleep and there's already enough of that going around.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#72 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
ok, I need a cal/mag/zinc supplement that I can get the kids to take.

any ideas? Then I need a separate mag supplement to take at night in place of the natural calm. Any ideas?

Oh, and remind me not to eat chocolate coconut milk ice cream before bed. I can't sleep and there's already enough of that going around.
Ditto.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#73 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 PM

I use the GIProHealth Magnesium Glycinate for me. I haven't tried giving it to the kids. I was going to start doing epsom salt baths for them but haven't done that yet. And I haven't found a zinc supplement yet, but need to try that to reduce my copper.

#74 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I'll try it this week. If I do it for dinner, I can check DS's diaper overnight (unless it's faster than that! maybe I need to run after him too), and maybe it's worthwhile to run after my daughter and see how her pee turns out. She and DH are the ones I'd suspect the most (watch me be completely wrong). I'll make sure not to have kimchee with dinner that night, just to make sure we don't mask anything. But that could be a worthwhile test if we fail... Okay, this is getting too fun, glad DH can't hear my thoughts, I know he sometimes feels like a guinea pig.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your dh will pass. Mostly because I do too, and I'm wondering if low stomach acid/low b12/low methyl groups might be a big factor in holding on to metals vs detoxing them decently?

#75 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 05:09 PM

Dang it, lost all my multiquotes!!! I'll try to come back later.

Question - I'm trying DS to bowel tolerance today on sodium ascorbate powder (I'm emptying capsules). He's taking it in peanut butter OK. How much do you think I should be giving him an hour?

And what is up with mercury and Natural Calm - I just bought some!!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#76 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Dang it, lost all my multiquotes!!! I'll try to come back later.

Question - I'm trying DS to bowel tolerance today on sodium ascorbate powder (I'm emptying capsules). He's taking it in peanut butter OK. How much do you think I should be giving him an hour?

And what is up with mercury and Natural Calm - I just bought some!!
Here's moneca's original post from The Iodine Thread.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#77 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM

I just ordered more magnesium, and got some zinc while I was at it, and a B-12/folate capsule. Why not? I may as well try those as anything else!

#78 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 05:55 PM

: I'm not loving my ice cream maker atm. That's the second time the bowl wasn't cold enough, despite being in the deep freeze for 12+ hours. The blackberry slush, however, . I might have to put the video of dd 'tasting' it on fb...

#79 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I just ordered more magnesium, and got some zinc while I was at it, and a B-12/folate capsule. Why not? I may as well try those as anything else!
Awesome! Just remember the b12 might not do much if your HCl isn't great and it's not a sublingual supp.

#80 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Just remember the b12 might not do much if your HCl isn't great and it's not a sublingual supp.
I've always passed the beet test, so I'm assuming my HCl is okay. I do have sublingual B12 here, but I haven't taken it much, and I thought this one would be good since it had folate too.

#81 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your dh will pass. Mostly because I do too, and I'm wondering if low stomach acid/low b12/low methyl groups might be a big factor in holding on to metals vs detoxing them decently?
But the really weird thing is, until I started chelating with ALA, my gut was in pretty good shape. I know that's totally contrary to everything else, I have other low zinc symptoms, but somehow all my remaining zinc seemed to be going toward giving me good digestion. But the low methyl groups symptoms were early on, so presumably I've been methylating like molasses for 2 decades. And Mr. Detoxifies-wonderfully here is the one (along with his little clone) who I think has lots more digestion issues, I suspect he'd have a long list of IgG reactions if I tested him. Getting all this stuff to fit together is confusing at times.

Jacqueline, I was just reading in my Nutritional Herbology book (while naptime didn't happen) that Red Raspberry Leaf infusions are a) stimulants for milk production, and b) the best source of manganese of all the herbs he tested (and that was a pretty decent list). Almost 15mg of manganese in 100g of dried RRL (I had to look it up, 1 ounce is 28 grams, and it seems like a reasonable amount to use is 1 ounce which is about 1 cup in 1 quart of water, and you probably have to make guesses on how much is in an infusion and how bioavailable it is--seems like it should be more available than most foods, just because it's already dissolved in water ready to go).
#82 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
whose?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#83 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
But the really weird thing is, until I started chelating with ALA, my gut was in pretty good shape. I know that's totally contrary to everything else, I have other low zinc symptoms, but somehow all my remaining zinc seemed to be going toward giving me good digestion. But the low methyl groups symptoms were early on, so presumably I've been methylating like molasses for 2 decades. And Mr. Detoxifies-wonderfully here is the one (along with his little clone) who I think has lots more digestion issues, I suspect he'd have a long list of IgG reactions if I tested him. Getting all this stuff to fit together is confusing at times.

Jacqueline, I was just reading in my Nutritional Herbology book (while naptime didn't happen) that Red Raspberry Leaf infusions are a) stimulants for milk production, and b) the best source of manganese of all the herbs he tested (and that was a pretty decent list). Almost 15mg of manganese in 100g of dried RRL (I had to look it up, 1 ounce is 28 grams, and it seems like a reasonable amount to use is 1 ounce which is about 1 cup in 1 quart of water, and you probably have to make guesses on how much is in an infusion and how bioavailable it is--seems like it should be more available than most foods, just because it's already dissolved in water ready to go).
If you try RRL infusion, let me know - the one I made was VERY astringent (for lack of a better term) and I'm wondering if I let it go too long?

eta: thinking on the digestion stuff... I'm still really curious about how you do with the beets

#84 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
If you try RRL infusion, let me know - the one I made was VERY astringent (for lack of a better term) and I'm wondering if I let it go too long?

eta: thinking on the digestion stuff... I'm still really curious about how you do with the beets
I think RRL is always astringent so I mix it. I do 1/2 c. nettles, 1/4 c. RRL, 1/4 c. alfalfa, and 1 T or so mint. I like red clover blossoms, too, but I'm out.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#85 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Here's moneca's original post from The Iodine Thread.
TY! That's kind of disturbing - not a lot of mercury, but with my autistic kid, not high on my list of choices to dump into him either... Hmmm.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#86 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
whose?
Whose supplements? Mine. From where? Vital Nutrients. I've been okay on their Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and other stuff.

#87 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM

Been catching up on the old chat thread and this one...

Someone mentioned adding a little lemon to pesto. I always do that, because it keeps it greener. Otherwise it turns black.

I saw a lot of talking about biotin supplements. I am not sure if I am low in biotin. How much is a good dosage to start with? I guess I should try zinc too. How much is a good start?

Some of you were talking about large cans of coconut milk and storing it once you opened them. I use so little of it, that I end up trying to store most of a can each time I open it. I was wondering how long it should be good in the fridge (transferred to a different container of course).

About coconut milk ice cream, when i've tried it, it has come out grainy. Not smooth.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#88 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I saw a lot of talking about biotin supplements. I am not sure if I am low in biotin. How much is a good dosage to start with? I guess I should try zinc too. How much is a good start?

About coconut milk ice cream, when i've tried it, it has come out grainy. Not smooth.
I don't think it's so much about being low in biotin as would extra do you some good? And from my reading, anyone with inflammation would likely benefit. I started with 5mg, cause that's what was available in the local hfs.

I think cs is on to something with her arrowroot in the coconut ice cream... My blackberry is coming out kinda grainy, too. Next time I'll try adding some tapioca or rice flour. cs, did you cook the arrowroot at all?

#89 of 830 Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 PM

Interesting- I guess the arrowroot did make a difference! When I've made coconut milk before (by hand, no ice cream maker) it was really grainy too. I just figured it was because I was doing it by hand.

Nope, didn't cook it. Just whisked it (with the cocoa) into the coconut milk until it was nice and smooth then dumped it all into the ice cream maker!

#90 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 AM

Speaking of arrowroot.... can someone tell me why arrowroot is like $17+/lb. at the healthfood store, and I just bought a one-pound bag from Azure for I believe $2.30?!? What's up with that crazy price difference?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page