Happy, post 4th Chat - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Does coriander taste like cilantro? I'll have to start looking for recipes that have coriander in it...

I want to bake something. I want flaky yummy cinnamon buns, or a cinnamon donut. Something. And I'm not in the mood for smelling something good while it's baking and then having it come out blechy. Anyone got a good baked good made with nothin' but air?
Dh has no issues with coriander, despite the cilantro (and parsley) hatred.

I've been frying my pancakes in the morning, in lots and lots of ghee. I think if I tweaked it, it could easily become donuts or funnelcake. And the batter is really good with cinnamon added.

chlobo, go update your about me I'll see if anything jumps out...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#122 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM

So, for biotin Shannon started with 5mg because that was what was available. If I order online, everything is available. What would you order if you were me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Lilya, the zinc sulfate taste test worked for me (google oral zinc tally test), Solgar lozenges are zinc sulfate too and are supposed to work, I _still_ need to buy some to re-check myself. I'd say 20-30mg isn't unreasonable to start with though.
I googled zinc sulfate, and got super confused. I saw lots of different things marketed for different purposes, and didn't know which to order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
And on a more serious note, anyone have any links on brainwashing?
I used to. I'll have to dig in my saved stuff.

Quote:
I've been frying my pancakes in the morning, in lots and lots of ghee. I think if I tweaked it, it could easily become donuts or funnelcake. And the batter is really good with cinnamon added.
Which pancake recipe is this?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#123 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 PM

I remember bookmarking a thread where there was a lot of talk about useful/informative tests to get. But now I can't find it.

#124 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For adults, it seems like the effective doses for biotin (if you've got inflammation and/or candida issues) are in the 5-15mg range, at least that's my impression. I'm taking 16mg, two of Thorne's 8mg biotin capsules, per day. I started it when I was taking a lot to deal with die-off, which I saw with my daughter (but was also giving extra supps so she felt okay), and I'm giving her 8mg. FWIW.

Let me see if I can find the zinc sulfate that I want to order....
Argh, having trouble, will need to get back to it later. : I _thought_ I knew, but now I'm struggling.

whoMe--did you have a zinc sulfate solution? Where'd you get it?

And as a stand-along zinc supp, I think Thorne's zinc picolinate, either the regular at 15mg or the double strength 30mg version, is a pretty good bet.

I am horrible about keeping track of threads.
#125 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
You guys... when did we make these recent changes to our diet? 8 days ago? What did we switch up? We quit oats (and all grains except rice), all dairy, all nuts and seeds except for peanuts and walnuts, and garlic. And we had a CST session.

Taslyn has gained 8/10 of a pound since then, and is eating enough off my plate that I'm getting hungry and have to find more food. Until now, I've never seen her gain more than 1/4 pound in a week, and usually its more like 1/4 pound a month.

So what made the difference? I know CST is HUGE for Taslyn. It makes a really big difference for her. But what else?
I was going to say the gluten dairy combo + CST...I'd stay off for a long long time--but that's me! (And probably not what you want to hear)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ladies,

I need a pep talk. We just had an awful 4 days. Multiple night wakings, bad poop, endless nursing. Plus I think my supply is tanking since I was sick back a couple of weeks ago. And we cannot find that loving feeling again. I just don't know what to do. My DH is reluctant to remove any of the few foods that DS will eat. And I think he's no longer on the charts. And we don't have any "big guns" left to eliminate. We're now dairy, gluten, corn, nuts & soy free. I feel like such a failure for not being able to figure this out. And this past week all I've wanted to do is cry all the time. I can't seem to get a grip.
Chlobo, you are doing so much! Hang in there!

Quote:
It's funny, I recently talked with someone who really feels the Houston area is beautiful and fascinating, he really likes it here. And I was really glad for him, because I'm not really there, especially since it hasn't been below 70F for more than a month now (I mean even at night), so we're living completely under the A/C now.
Even at night? We are in the 100's here during the day, but we cool of a bit at night--thankfully, we're rural and don't have ALL that blacktop to soak in the heat...
Quote:
Cilantro tastes like vomit to me. I've always thought it was extremely gross when people put it in salsa. Blech. It smells bad and tastes bad.

Does coriander taste like cilantro? I'll have to start looking for recipes that have coriander in it...

I want to bake something. I want flaky yummy cinnamon buns, or a cinnamon donut. Something. And I'm not in the mood for smelling something good while it's baking and then having it come out blechy. Anyone got a good baked good made with nothin' but air?
I LOVE cilantro! We put tons in our salsa! (Come on over, JR!)
I accidentally put too much oil in the pan when I was making Gregg's pancakes and they fried up really well! I told DH if we sweetened them a bit, they'd make for great donut-like treat! The problem is that I want them that way for breakfast...I did banana nut...and they would be great with chocolate syrup over them!:

Quote:
Oh, and today I made our first green (ha!) smoothie. Interesting. Needs some refinement. About 2 cups kale leaves, juice from 4 oranges (I think about 1 cup), 3/4 of a bag of frozen cherries, and 1/4 c coconut oil. After I whizzed it up, it looked like a chocolate mousse type of dessert (lots of air whipped in, and the mix turned out decidedly brown), and that seems really unfair. It doesn't taste bad, exactly, though the little pieces of kale are not wonderful, I can't tell if I just need to do it more to love it more, or tweak it a bit, or something. DS sipped a couple times and told me done, DD stuck it out a bit longer and consumed a bit more, but about half of the concoction is left. Strange, just strange.
I haven't departed from spinach yet--it's so mild and blends so well...maybe add a bit more liquid?

Quote:
Dh has no issues with coriander, despite the cilantro (and parsley) hatred.

Yup!

Quote:
Yeah, a kid can have adrenal issues, esp if mom had them while pg - mom can actually lean on baby's cortisol production in the third trimester
Yikes!
I wonder if the mag tested bad because of the mercury, not the actual mag? We have NOW mag citrate powder, too, I should try it again. It doesn't dissolve well in cold water, and it doesn't taste sour like the natural calm does. It does make lemonade taste more like gatorade, though.

You know, that's exactly what I was wondering...my HFS is ordering in the NOW mag this week...

Sugar/insulin fuels inflammation (honey less so). Sugar also messes with your mineral balance, especially serum calcium and phosphorus...

She lost all sugars except raw local honey--which was funny, because we only used honey, maple syrup and the ocassional fructose. My reactive hypoglycemia has gotten a bit better since I've been supping my adrenals, which is what made me wonder about adrenals for her...I think she deals with hypoglycemia tendencies, too. Poor kid, just got slammed with both DH and my weak points...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#126 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
For adults, it seems like the effective doses for biotin (if you've got inflammation and/or candida issues) are in the 5-15mg range, at least that's my impression. I'm taking 16mg, two of Thorne's 8mg biotin capsules, per day. I started it when I was taking a lot to deal with die-off, which I saw with my daughter (but was also giving extra supps so she felt okay), and I'm giving her 8mg. FWIW.

Let me see if I can find the zinc sulfate that I want to order....
Argh, having trouble, will need to get back to it later. : I _thought_ I knew, but now I'm struggling.

And as a stand-along zinc supp, I think Thorne's zinc picolinate, either the regular at 15mg or the double strength 30mg version, is a pretty good bet.

I got zinc sulfare by Scientific Botanicals. Its a liquid. Can't remember who I bought it from.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#127 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Thing with the cilantro is that I'm avoiding it because I was told that it mobilizes mercury...
Quote:
Dh hates cilantro. HATES it with a passion. He wants to get an anti-cilantro tshirt. If you find anything else special about it, I'm all ears.

JR, as I'm lying awake and my mind is wandering, I'm curious. Have you tried molybdenum yet? Miss kids react to eggs and colors/preservatives and hg while pg?

And on a more serious note, anyone have any links on brainwashing?
From Mercola:
Quote:
Cilantro

* Cilantro may be useful to treat urinary tract infections
* Both the leaves and seeds aid digestion, relieve intestinal gas, pain and distention
* They also treat nausea, soothe inflammation, rheumatic pain, headaches, coughs and mental stress
* Cilantro is a member of the carrot family
There were some other sites with more info too.
No. : I haven't tried molybdenum yet. Thanks for the reminder.
What's up with the brainwashing question?

Quote:
Jacqueline, sorry for the confusion, I guess I am a bit too obsessed with our location. It's funny, I recently talked with someone who really feels the Houston area is beautiful and fascinating, he really likes it here. And I was really glad for him, because I'm not really there, especially since it hasn't been below 70F for more than a month now (I mean even at night), so we're living completely under the A/C now.
I hate the heat. When I went to TN, I was called a polar bear because of how cold I kept my hotel room. The locals I was visiting wore their winter jackets when they were coming to see me. I got severe heat stroke when I was around a year and a half old. It was my first memory. So the heat and I are old enemies. I have heard that Houston is beautiful but also that Texas is gross because of all the oil rigs... I've never been there to judge for myself. If I ever do go, it'll be in December.
Quote:
Ladies,

I need a pep talk. We just had an awful 4 days. Multiple night wakings, bad poop, endless nursing. Plus I think my supply is tanking since I was sick back a couple of weeks ago. And we cannot find that loving feeling again. I just don't know what to do. My DH is reluctant to remove any of the few foods that DS will eat. And I think he's no longer on the charts. And we don't have any "big guns" left to eliminate. We're now dairy, gluten, corn, nuts & soy free. I feel like such a failure for not being able to figure this out. And this past week all I've wanted to do is cry all the time. I can't seem to get a grip.
I have no advice only s. I think you're such an amazing mom. You've worked so hard to get your kids as healthy as you can and I know you'll keep working to get them even more healthy. You've had so many successes, but it's so hard to remember that when the next obstacle presents itself. You're doing a wonderful job.
Quote:
Cilantro tastes like vomit to me. I've always thought it was extremely gross when people put it in salsa. Blech. It smells bad and tastes bad.

I'm just ignoring your cilantro comment. More cilantro for me.
Coriander is used in Montreal Steak Spice, if you've ever used that.
Quote:
Oh, and today I made our first green (ha!) smoothie. Interesting. Needs some refinement. About 2 cups kale leaves, juice from 4 oranges (I think about 1 cup), 3/4 of a bag of frozen cherries, and 1/4 c coconut oil. After I whizzed it up, it looked like a chocolate mousse type of dessert (lots of air whipped in, and the mix turned out decidedly brown), and that seems really unfair. It doesn't taste bad, exactly, though the little pieces of kale are not wonderful, I can't tell if I just need to do it more to love it more, or tweak it a bit, or something. DS sipped a couple times and told me done, DD stuck it out a bit longer and consumed a bit more, but about half of the concoction is left. Strange, just strange.
I'm still using spinach too, but... I figured out how to make it not leave little specks of green. I puree it first with some juice or rice milk.
Quote:
Yes, she even forgets participating in threads.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#128 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 PM

No time to read everything, just hugs for clobo.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#129 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 PM

more hugs for carren.

also, you ROCK, mama. i just got an envelope in the mail with a bajillion coupons. thank you, thank you, thank you!

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#130 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I remember bookmarking a thread where there was a lot of talk about useful/informative tests to get. But now I can't find it.
was it momofmine's thread? pat has on in the main h&h, I think, but i don't remember what it's called

Quote:
I got one from... the same place I got my Thorne stuff. I forget where. It's an 8oz bottle of zinc sulfate, and the label has instructions for doing the taste test.

My pancakes have no recipe, I've been making them every omrning for months now, and I just keep tweaking. They're egg, maple syrup, bone broth (our beef broth is really mild), salt, baking soda, vit C powder (acid for the baking soda), ground milk thistle, and gf oats ground into a flour, plus melted ghee. Fry in a pan, the more ghee the better to get crispy edges. Sometimes I just do a panful of little drips because they get totally chunchy that way. Did I mention that my only safe crunchy thing is those weird rice crackers? Oh, and sweet potato chips. I may be a bit crunch-deprived.

#131 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Was it WuWei/Pat's thread a few months ago, when she was going in for a physical? That was in the Health & Healing part.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#132 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
But the really weird thing is, until I started chelating with ALA, my gut was in pretty good shape. I know that's totally contrary to everything else, I have other low zinc symptoms, but somehow all my remaining zinc seemed to be going toward giving me good digestion. But the low methyl groups symptoms were early on, so presumably I've been methylating like molasses for 2 decades. And Mr. Detoxifies-wonderfully here is the one (along with his little clone) who I think has lots more digestion issues, I suspect he'd have a long list of IgG reactions if I tested him. Getting all this stuff to fit together is confusing at times.

Jacqueline, I was just reading in my Nutritional Herbology book (while naptime didn't happen) that Red Raspberry Leaf infusions are a) stimulants for milk production, and b) the best source of manganese of all the herbs he tested (and that was a pretty decent list). Almost 15mg of manganese in 100g of dried RRL (I had to look it up, 1 ounce is 28 grams, and it seems like a reasonable amount to use is 1 ounce which is about 1 cup in 1 quart of water, and you probably have to make guesses on how much is in an infusion and how bioavailable it is--seems like it should be more available than most foods, just because it's already dissolved in water ready to go).
I'm like your husband and his clone. From what I can tell and by my intuition I detoxify well. I had horrible gut issues and allergies though.

I have a bunch of amalgam fillings, but I've healed well with them still in place. Removing them is a few years down the road and going through any chelation.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#133 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
was it momofmine's thread? pat has on in the main h&h, I think, but i don't remember what it's called
That wasn't it, but that was a gazillion times better!

#134 of 830 Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM

Quick post, then to bed cause I've lost 2 replies this evening, clearly my computer is telling me to sleep!

Holistic Moms Network is opening a new chapter in my area. I've only read mentions of them here and there, there's a $45 annual individual membership fee, or $60 for the family (not sure of the difference), anyone have experience good or bad? Seems like a handy way to find local healthcare providers.

Kino--some folks think that dealing with the mercury and other leaching metals is a better choice than the substances that leach from composite fillings (is that what you're contemplating? or something else?). I really felt like I had to get mine out, and I've been happy with the improvement, but on some level I wonder about DH--should we have gotten his out (we just got a regular composite, not something really special like porcelain or gold or anything) or should we have left them? Hard to say, for now I'm going to assume we did the right thing. But I'm glad that you don't have metals detoxification issues in addition to everything else you've dealt with, that would just be so hard. I replied to your other thread, then lost my response, will try again tomorrow. It wasn't profound.
#135 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 AM

Nasty and whacked. My DH *treated* himself to a quick bite at McD's today and within 30 minutes his head was covered in acne. Ewww. I loaded him up on supplements as soon as he walked in the door. He said he's never eating there again. Gross.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#136 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 AM

What a terrifying, exhausting, frustrating road this is. I've lost friends and at times I've thought I've lost my mind. Carren try to be gentle with yourself. You are trying to solve problems that MDs and my last ND had no clue how to fix, plus you are doing it while you are unwell. What are you doing for yourself? Any Mo? I would expect that your serotonin needs to be raised. Order it and if you don't like it, I will buy it from you. You are amazing for trying to puzzle this out. I'm getting back to Boston this weekend. Let's get together at a pond or playground. Tell you what, I will hook you up with Mo.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#137 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Nasty and whacked. My DH *treated* himself to a quick bite at McD's today and within 30 minutes his head was covered in acne. Ewww. I loaded him up on supplements as soon as he walked in the door. He said he's never eating there again. Gross.
Umm... What does it mean that my first reaction is 'COOL!!!'? :

#138 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 01:14 AM

Ha ha, it IS interesting isn't it? My first thought was emunctory.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#139 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 AM

Margo,
When you make it here.
I was wondering if you're still doing the LDN for Ella? Someone else mentioned it being used for Hashimoto's on another thread so I was looking at it a bit... And apparently it's not effective if you have candida problems. This poses a bit of a quandary to me, with my mercury fillings and likely candida "problem".

Oh, and Pat, I just have to say: I you!! I am becoming addicted to my green smoothies. I have found they are helping with my sugar cravings, although I seem to be craving green smoothies instead. Maybe it's just that my body's craving the sweetness of the smoothie? Either way, I'd rather be craving a green smoothie than chocolate cake and cookies- except that the blender is so loud and I don't want to share!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#140 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM

Jacqueline, it's so funny that your last post would be about green smoothies. I didn't eat much of mine yesterday, the recipe needs refinement, but I had a headache most of the rest of the day. Really not normal for me. I want to try again another day, see if it's the cold or the smoothie itself or just an odd day.

Oh, and sorta scary (to me), my HCP (we talked Monday night) says I could try eating cilantro periodically now, before rounds, but part of me is scared. Pathetic, eh? Small amounts, she emphasized small amounts, but since I think it's yummy, I think I'm going to go for it.

eta: And Jacqueline, how about sharing some of these yummy smoothie recipes? With specifics, since obviously I'm not doin' so great on the general list of things, and choosing good proportions.
#141 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 AM

egg free mayo recipe posted!

it's cherry festival AND i'm sick. bbl when i recover. probably after the weekend...

#142 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM

I just wrote out your mayo recipe to try (I'm roasting a chicken whenever it finally thaws -- it's been in the fridge for 3 days!) with chicken salad. I also found a Tabasco-type recipe to play with. I have to make 2 batches of marshmallows today (one for DS and one for DD2) and a loaf of bread. I'm freezing so at least it'll warm up the kitchen!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#143 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM

let us know how it turns out. i know you'll tweak it and then we can compared "tweak" notes.

#144 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM

also, kathy, i downloaded buckwheat pete's bagel/bread/english muffin recipe book on your suggestion. i am trying them this morning. reading through the recipe, i'm excited. i had been dancing around that technique in my head trying to figure it out and it didn't occur to me to do it that way.

#145 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
also, kathy, i downloaded buckwheat pete's bagel/bread/english muffin recipe book on your suggestion. i am trying them this morning. reading through the recipe, i'm excited. i had been dancing around that technique in my head trying to figure it out and it didn't occur to me to do it that way.
I've only done the English muffins. Though I roll the whole thing out into "pizza dough" or roll out the English muffins thinner to make "flatbread/tortillas". If you try one of the other versions, let me know how it turns out!

#146 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I've only done the English muffins. Though I roll the whole thing out into "pizza dough" or roll out the English muffins thinner to make "flatbread/tortillas". If you try one of the other versions, let me know how it turns out!
Do you use other flours? I don't really like buckwheat.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#147 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Just had to share that I put spinach greens into our pancakes this am and they were well received. I don't know why I'd never thought of it before. I put the leaves into the blender, added rice milk like I would for a smoothie, and presto! I even remembered to put a squirt of flax seed oil in there. I just made sure to keep the amount of liquid correct. Green pancakes, and DS just about broke his finger signing for more.

(He won't drink a green smoothie. or rice milk. or hemp milk. or orange juice. not that I want him drinking lots of oj, but he's limited to water and breastmilk.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#148 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I use the light buckwheat. I don't like regular buckwheat either. You're in NE right? You should be able to find the Bouchard Family Farms light buckwheat. They're out of Maine. He has recipes for rice versions of everything on there too. But I don't do the rice because DS can't have it. Buckwheat is a "shared" grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Just had to share that I put spinach greens into our pancakes this am and they were well received. I don't know why I'd never thought of it before. I put the leaves into the blender, added rice milk like I would for a smoothie, and presto! I even remembered to put a squirt of flax seed oil in there. I just made sure to keep the amount of liquid correct. Green pancakes, and DS just about broke his finger signing for more.
That's a great idea for St. Patricks Day too. I put pureed sweet potatoes or squash in our pancakes for some added nutrition.

You know what the problem is with doing these recipes? I made the hot sauce. And I tasted it, and it's good... but is it right? I don't know because I can't taste the Tabasco for comparison. Like the cinnamon rolls yesterday. I want a side by side comparison to see what the recipe needs (texture, spice, etc.) but DD1, who can eat anything, won't try any of my stuff to tell me. And DH is back home to work. Ugh. I'm going to go canvas the neighborhood and see if someone will taste test hot sauce for me....

#149 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I use the light buckwheat. I don't like regular buckwheat either. You're in NE right? You should be able to find the Bouchard Family Farms light buckwheat. They're out of Maine. He has recipes for rice versions of everything on there too. But I don't do the rice because DS can't have it. Buckwheat is a "shared" grain.

That's a great idea for St. Patricks Day too. I put pureed sweet potatoes or squash in our pancakes for some added nutrition.

You know what the problem is with doing these recipes? I made the hot sauce. And I tasted it, and it's good... but is it right? I don't know because I can't taste the Tabasco for comparison. Like the cinnamon rolls yesterday. I want a side by side comparison to see what the recipe needs (texture, spice, etc.) but DD1, who can eat anything, won't try any of my stuff to tell me. And DH is back home to work. Ugh. I'm going to go canvas the neighborhood and see if someone will taste test hot sauce for me....
Is there a recipe for the cinnamon rolls yet?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#150 of 830 Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
i made the bw bagels. they didn't turn out exactly. two, perhaps three, things happened that i suspect.

1. when i micro'd the tapioca mixture, i was checking it every 15-30 seconds and stirring. when i knew it was just about time to take it out, aev jumped on the dog and got tangled in his leash. so it over cooked and was seriously gluey and thick.

2. i don't know if i cooled it enough in the water bath, after it being so cooked. so, when i mixed it with the dry ingredients, i think i over kneaded it. it got SUPER sticky and gluey. so i had to use more flour to tame it. that worked well enough as a fix.

3. somehow, my oven got turned from 350 to 250 at some point in the baking process. arg. the timer beeped and i checked and they were waaay underdone but the bottoms were brown and cripsy. so i turned the oven up and baked for another 10min at 350.

they are edible for sure. the flavor is good. the texture is definitely off. and now i'm out of buckwheat groats. i may try again in a few days with ground millet... we'll see.

Quote:
have you tried fresh-ground buckwheat groats? it's nice and light and tasty. i use a coffee grinder. one of these days i'll get a grain mill... one of the cool things about buckwheat is that it's kind of gluey itself so it's a lot easier to use buckwheat and air to cook fabulous things than other flours that need gums and other tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
i throw all sorts of veggies in our breakfast pancakes (blender batter). usually a zucchini, often greens. and always a few teaspoons of ground up milk thistle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page