Happy, post 4th Chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Join us if you are new in the Allergy forum. Here we just talk about all things allergies and MORE. Everyone welcome to chime in, ponder, whine or chat. (this is the catchall thread for the mamas supporting each other through their allergy journey)

What is on your mind?

Here are some old threads to chew on (allergen free). But, they might make you crazy-(ier).

We started off with:
whoMe's MTHFR, salicylates and adrenals
and then it started taking over.
We have:
changing seasons' "I'm done with food trials"
whoMe's methyl-what now? huh?
whoMe's detox guinea pig
Tanya's avoidance vs not discussion
whoMe's histamine and dopamine
whoMe's Detox while breastfeeding
Tanya's clay and allergies and gut health
my Detox, HTG, HCl and candida
neveryoumindthere's Do this, do that thread
Changing Season's Nancy Drew thread

Don't know where your question or Ah-ha! will fit, it'll fit here! Celebrations welcome too!! :

Pat

I have a blog.
#2 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 09:26 AM

Has anyone found coconut milk that's in a can with NO BPA?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#3 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 AM

Is it the can that's no BPA? How do you know what's in the can?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Just joining to learn more...I have the weirdest food allergies ever (apples, pears, plums, etc., carrots are the biggie, sometimes potatoes, and hazelnuts and almonds)...and tonight I reacted to a handful of peanuts.

This does not bode well as we live on PBand J for lunch here.

My 13yo is also allergic to apples and their peers, as well as hazelnuts, almonds, and something we can't figure out.

Hoping to learn a lot.

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#5 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
If it's an ingredient on the label, our coconut milk has no BPA. It's CHAOKOH, and I buy it in a pack of 8 cans from Sam's Club. Ingredients: Coconut extract, Water, Citric Acid, Sodium Metabasulfite.

OK, wait...I just researched BPA, and it says it's leached from the "plastic linings of canned foods." I have no idea if the canning of this type of coconut milk included BPA in the process. I don't even know how to find that out? How do you find out what your cans are completely made of?

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#6 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Found this: "Native Forest Coconut has just confirmed that their coconut milk is now canned in BPA FREE cans".

http://organicgrace.com/node/316

(this site has a lot of different brands listed with/without BPA)

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Just joining to learn more...I have the weirdest food allergies ever (apples, pears, plums, etc., and hazelnuts and almonds)...and tonight I reacted to a handful of peanuts.

This does not bode well as we live on PBand J for lunch here.

My 13yo is also allergic to apples and their peers, as well as hazelnuts, almonds, and something we can't figure out.

Hoping to learn a lot.

love, penelope
What kind of allergy? OAS (oral allergy syndrome) is tickling my brain for some reason with those foods.

Quote:
Kathy,

I need help. So I tried the procedure below but my gravy came out in one big clump instead of smooth & creamy. My daughter loved it. She made gravy sandwiches with slices of meatball. Meanwhile my husband heckled me.

What did I do wrong? It's so odd.

Carren
I answered you on Facebook, but may as well do it here as well. How much broth did you add? I do it about 1/2 cup at a time (no measuring though, sorry), but I probably end up using 2-3 cups of broth to get it to the right consistency. And I whisk the whole time I'm adding the broth. It thickens up after each addition, until you get it right. As it gets close, I add less broth each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Sorry.

Happy 4th!! Although I'm going to reiterate your "bah humbug" comment from last night... there is NO way DD is going to sleep tonight with all this noise. She is way sensitive to noise these days, and it's already freaking her out. (it's not even 9:00 here, so we still have a while to go!)
Just had to say we did our own fireworks (the neighborhood) and they were directly overhead, and DD2 fell asleep right in the middle of them. She's a bizarre child. She slept last night so I don't know what was up the night before. If it was a reaction, it was a short one. And I was worried because at the picnic, there were 2 grills and I was worried about cross contamination, especially because we did ours last. DH did the grilled shrimp on one (that's what I wanted) and I did the turkey burger and plain burgers on the other (brought my own spatulas too, and no one even looked at me funny. I brought baked beans we could have, and watermelon. So we were good.

And then last night at the campfire, people started talking about tongue ties) and these were different neighbors than were talking about it last time. One had just had her 13 month old clipped 2 weeks ago (she said her DD2's tongue was heart shaped but the ENT put her off because she wasn't having feeding issues). Then another neighbor said her DD2 (6yo) never had her's clipped because the ENT didn't think it was an issue. Why are so many people talking about it all of a sudden? And should you always clip it? The one who said her DD2 hasn't had her's clipped is the one with massive reflux (just got off meds a few months ago) and asthma. The only things she will drink are milk and water, and drinks milk a ton. Though during her last asthma attack, her pediatrician told the mom to start looking at sulfites as a cause (a few days after I asked this group and they said to look at sulfites and salicylates and I passed along the info.). Could there be a connection between the tongue tie and the other stuff?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks Pat for setting this up.

Sorry mamafish for the reaction. What a bummer.

How's your little one doing today Whome?

We are on our third week of our vacation. All happy, exept my oldest. Ive decided he would really benefit from PB's FEs. When we get back we will do it.
We had our first hit of homesickness last night. We really missed Boston fireworks. and Neil Diamond was singing. I'm a closet Neil Diamond fan. Never heard him in concert though.

We are going to DC on Tuesday. It should be fun but I'm already nervous about the food.

I'm dtermined to get coconut into our diet. I believe sulfate is our main issue, but I'm not sure how to go beyond what we are doing. I need to update my thread. Mamafish, are you the one who did all of the sals and phenol work? I can't find it.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#9 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
What kind of allergy? OAS (oral allergy syndrome) is tickling my brain for some reason with those foods.

And then last night at the campfire, people started talking about tongue ties) and these were different neighbors than were talking about it last time. One had just had her 13 month old clipped 2 weeks ago (she said her DD2's tongue was heart shaped but the ENT put her off because she wasn't having feeding issues). Then another neighbor said her DD2 (6yo) never had her's clipped because the ENT didn't think it was an issue. Why are so many people talking about it all of a sudden? And should you always clip it? The one who said her DD2 hasn't had her's clipped is the one with massive reflux (just got off meds a few months ago) and asthma. The only things she will drink are milk and water, and drinks milk a ton. Though during her last asthma attack, her pediatrician told the mom to start looking at sulfites as a cause (a few days after I asked this group and they said to look at sulfites and salicylates and I passed along the info.). Could there be a connection between the tongue tie and the other stuff?
Wow, I guess I have a lot to learn...My food allergies give me nasty itchy mouth and hivey sensations...no anaphylactic reactions yet. I'm so allergic to pollens, dander, dust, smoke, etc., that eczema is a daily thing and I have really serious asthma. (Love my symbicort).

The tongue tie thing intrigues me. My 8yo was severely tongue tied, and his sort of "snapped" at around 9 mos old, IIRC. My sister also had a baby w/ tongue-tie, and she had it "clipped." Neither of them has allergies, although my DS did deal w/ lactose intolerance for a while (he's no longer lactose intolerant).

Sulfites sound like an interesting avenue for exploration for other things...his migraines, my migraines, etc. I'm tempted though to put everything my kids do that annoys me down to allergies, which is why I've never posted here. I'm afraid I'll have them living on organic brown rice and triple-filtered local spring water in no time.

love, p

#10 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Found this: "Native Forest Coconut has just confirmed that their coconut milk is now canned in BPA FREE cans".

http://organicgrace.com/node/316

(this site has a lot of different brands listed with/without BPA)

Pat
Thanks for the reference but yikes. $3/can.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#11 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I answered you on Facebook, but may as well do it here as well. How much broth did you add? I do it about 1/2 cup at a time (no measuring though, sorry), but I probably end up using 2-3 cups of broth to get it to the right consistency. And I whisk the whole time I'm adding the broth. It thickens up after each addition, until you get it right. As it gets close, I add less broth each time.
Wow, that much broth for such a small amount of flour & shortening? I am defnitely doing something wrong. It gelled up as I was putting n the broth & the broth just kind of congealed around it. It was very bizarre. DD loved it. I'll try again at lunch today.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#12 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reference but yikes. $3/can.
So I had to go looking around, and I saw some for just over $2/can, but then I found out that you can buy a 10-pound can of coconut milk. Wow. No idea how to store something like that, maybe re-package into mason jars and freeze? But wow, 10-pound cans. My mind boggles.

Spruce, we've got several threads around that discuss tongue ties as a form of minor midline defect, some kids have sacral dimples (not full-fledged neural tube defects, but indentations at the very base of the spine, just recently I noticed that my 3yo son gets an indent there if he bends over in a very specific way, strange to notice at age 3...). As far as anyone's been able to figure out, deficiencies in vitamin A and/or folate seem to be involved, and since one nutrient deficiency usually goes along with more, and then other parts of our bodies start working in odd, less-than-optimal ways, well, here we are. The folate part is especially important for a sub-section of folks here because they've (likely, or actually tested) got a gene mutation in the MTHFR gene, the short form is that there's some inefficiency in using folate, so they functionally need twice as much as everyone else to have the same amount available for use in the body.

whoMe's got a much better description here...
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/mthfr.php

And tongue ties are on my mind because now that my son's 3y2m, it's become clear that I don't think other people can understand his speech as well as they should be able to--I fairly frequently have to ask him to repeat things. So I'm in the process of choosing a speech therapist for an evaluation (our pedi recommended this), and contemplating that it may be related to his tongue tie--not bad enough that he didn't nurse well, but his tongue does not look to have normal mobility, I think his TT is worse than mine.

And always good to have new folks to chat with.

Pat--thanks for starting a new thread, I kept thinking I should and then, well, I haven't. But yesterday was really weird, kids had a stomach bug, my 5yo daughter took _2_ naps, and went to lie down in my bed a couple other times, probably slept for a total of 6 hours during the middle of the day yesterday. But that gave her just enough energy for us to walk over and watch the fireworks, the park that's really close to us is apparently where the city sets off their fireworks so we had an amazing view, I've never been so close before, it was great. And then DD came home and went to sleep again, but today both kids seem normal. :
#13 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post

Spruce, we've got several threads around that discuss tongue ties as a form of minor midline defect, some kids have sacral dimples (not full-fledged neural tube defects, but indentations at the very base of the spine, just recently I noticed that my 3yo son gets an indent there if he bends over in a very specific way, strange to notice at age 3...). As far as anyone's been able to figure out, deficiencies in vitamin A and/or folate seem to be involved, and since one nutrient deficiency usually goes along with more, and then other parts of our bodies start working in odd, less-than-optimal ways, well, here we are. The folate part is especially important for a sub-section of folks here because they've (likely, or actually tested) got a gene mutation in the MTHFR gene, the short form is that there's some inefficiency in using folate, so they functionally need twice as much as everyone else to have the same amount available for use in the body.

whoMe's got a much better description here...
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/mthfr.php

And tongue ties are on my mind because now that my son's 3y2m, it's become clear that I don't think other people can understand his speech as well as they should be able to--I fairly frequently have to ask him to repeat things. So I'm in the process of choosing a speech therapist for an evaluation (our pedi recommended this), and contemplating that it may be related to his tongue tie--not bad enough that he didn't nurse well, but his tongue does not look to have normal mobility, I think his TT is worse than mine.
Whoa.

My last 3 kids all have pilonidal cysts (deep sacral dimples, which DH and I both have, although we didn't realise it until they were born).

Lots of reading for me in the next few days. Thank you!

love, penelope

#14 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
So I had to go looking around, and I saw some for just over $2/can, but then I found out that you can buy a 10-pound can of coconut milk. Wow. No idea how to store something like that, maybe re-package into mason jars and freeze? But wow, 10-pound cans. My mind boggles.
Oh do tell. Where did you find the $2/can?

Sorry to hear about the kids. We went to a friend's house last night & let DD have corn on the cob (first time in a few weeks). This morning she was near impossible in her behavior. I'm blaming the corn.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#15 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Wow, that much broth for such a small amount of flour & shortening? I am defnitely doing something wrong. It gelled up as I was putting n the broth & the broth just kind of congealed around it. It was very bizarre. DD loved it. I'll try again at lunch today.
You're going to make me do it, aren't you? Fine. I'll take the chicken out of the freezer and thaw it. By Monday night I should have roast chicken. And by Tuesday night or Wednesday lunch I should have bone broth. Then I can measure it out to see how much broth it really takes. It had to be done, I guess.

#16 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You're going to make me do it, aren't you? Fine. I'll take the chicken out of the freezer and thaw it. By Monday night I should have roast chicken. And by Tuesday night or Wednesday lunch I should have bone broth. Then I can measure it out to see how much broth it really takes. It had to be done, I guess.
Sorry. Not! I'll bet your gravy is fabulous. Would you adopt me? Give me the childhood I never had? lol.

BTW, anyone live in Ohio? That's where the cheap organic coconut milk with no BPA can lining is. $1.80/can but instore purchase only.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#17 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 PM

carren- I'm completely ignoring your BPA question. I'm just so excited to have coconut back, I can't think about switching brands. Plus, mine is $0.89/can at the asian market. Azure has a natural brand that has no other ingredients (not sure if it's BPA free cans though), and I can't even bring myself to shell out the $1.75/can for that. We're using a lot of coconut milk these days. And now that I found that awesome ice cream recipe, I think we're going to be going through a lot more!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#18 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 12:07 PM

spruce, I'd definitely look at mthfr and methyl groups for you, and stomach acid/zinc/b12. If you want, a bunch of people have started threads for themselves to keep info in one place and we can help you brainstorm.

Quote:

the tongue tie/allergy connection is what pb was talking about for ages and what prompted me to get my mthfr gene checked. The deficiencies that give you a tongue tie make you not detox very well, and then welcome to the allergy forum. So cool that your neighbors are talking about this stuff, and that their doc is talking about sulfites!

When I make gravy, it's about equal parts flour and fat, or enough flour in the skillet to totally absorb the fat. Get it bubbling hot (called a roux at this point), then add all the broth at once - usually a cup or two of liquid to about 2 tbsp each flour and fat. More or less depending on how thick I want it. There are some helpful threads in TF. I remember the first time I made it, I made WAY too much roux, and I was getting this thick slimy gelatinous mess. Then I kept adding more broth and ended up with major lumps and it was STILL really thick... Definitely search for the old gravy thread in TF!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#19 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Anyone have an opinion on when to take probiotics w/abx, can you please look at my Flagyl thread? So far I am not having any side effects from the Flagyl and I'd like to keep it that way. TIA.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1106855

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#20 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Uh, a 10 pound can of coconut milk? Sign me up. I was thinking about freezing ice cubes of coconut milk, for easy distribution...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#21 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
BTW, anyone live in Ohio? That's where the cheap organic coconut milk with no BPA can lining is. $1.80/can but instore purchase only.
Ooh, oohh. Me, me. Where can I get it? (Regular non-organic, extra ingredients, assumedly BPA cans, is generally over $2 a can in Kroger here.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#22 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Ate at SIL's MIL's yesterday. Took some safe food, but cooked our meat on their grill. Stupid. DS1's leg hurts today and he's being annoying.
Also, they have lilies. So between the lilies and the smoke from people's fireworks last night, I feel so congested and wheezy...
Wasn't posting to complain, sorry. Just wanted to say something more than just "subbing".
Glad to hear things seem to be going well for you, Lisa. Hope the trend continues.
I'm sure there were other things I wanted to respond to but I'm being told every step DS1 is taking to put dishes away atm ("I'm taking the tongs out of the dishwasher. I'm putting them on the counter. I'm taking the spatula out of the dishwasher. I'm picking up the tongs. I'm putting them in the drawer.") : I swear it's probably the milk cc.
Oh and thanks for the new thread, Pat.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#23 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
carren- I'm completely ignoring your BPA question. I'm just so excited to have coconut back, I can't think about switching brands. Plus, mine is $0.89/can at the asian market. Azure has a natural brand that has no other ingredients (not sure if it's BPA free cans though), and I can't even bring myself to shell out the $1.75/can for that. We're using a lot of coconut milk these days. And now that I found that awesome ice cream recipe, I think we're going to be going through a lot more!
Lalala. I"m not listening. DH won't let me buy the stuff at the asian market. He thinks everything at the asian market is tainted from China.

Anyhow, I found palm sugar, not coconut sugar. I'm going to try to use it. But it came in little bricks. How do I dissolve it?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#24 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Ooh, oohh. Me, me. Where can I get it? (Regular non-organic, extra ingredients, assumedly BPA cans, is generally over $2 a can in Kroger here.)
This is organic coconut milk in a non-BPA can. It's onsale here for in store pickup only:

http://vitanetonline.com/Organic-Foo...CONUT-MILK-OG/

Enjoy!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#25 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Uh, a 10 pound can of coconut milk? Sign me up. I was thinking about freezing ice cubes of coconut milk, for easy distribution...
I found a place that sells 8 10 lb cans for like $70. A single can is about 1lb, right? Doesn't take long to go through 10 cans.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#26 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 04:12 PM

Gah. All this talk of coconut milk and I have 2 cases sitting and wasting away in my pantry because DS1 is the only one they're useful for and I'm not making stuff for him that DS2 (and I) can't have.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#27 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Oh yeah, and Kathy, I was wondering. Those oils... The butterscotch flavor- do you know if it's dairy free? I was thinking it would be great to mix with dairy free white chocolate chips to make the peanut butterscotch squares my gran used to make (except now we can't have peanuts anyway, but maybe someone else can now. ).

#28 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM

Okay, first, dairy free white chocolate chips!?

And second, the indian grocery we used to have around the corner had safe coconut milk in normal sized cans (no gums/preservatives) and they had the same brand in a huge can, same label. The big one was full of preservatives and junk.

I'm seeing native forest, 12 cans for $21.55 on Azure, so $1.79/can. And I can get similar prices at our high priced independent grocery.

eta:
Oh, and I ran into my first grade teacher at the farmer's market today. I mentioned how dd's allergic to everything, and she said they've been seeing more and more of that at school. Apparently there's been a huge increase, in just the past 5 years or so. They have kids in kindergarten who are anaphalactic to all sort of stuff, and they have to sit on their own special mat and not touch anybody or anything I just thought it was interesting the sudden jump that she's seeing. What changed 8-10 years ago?

#29 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Yes, vegan white chocolate chips. They're not soy free by any stretch of the imagination though. Made by Oppenheimer in Isreal. Link. They're one of the last soy products left in my house because I was hoping against hope to get peanut butter back so I could make peanut butterscotch squares. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll make white chocolate pine nut cookies to get rid of them.

#30 of 830 Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Yes, vegan white chocolate chips. They're not soy free by any stretch of the imagination though. Made by Oppenheimer in Isreal. Link. They're one of the last soy products left in my house because I was hoping against hope to get peanut butter back so I could make peanut butterscotch squares. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll make white chocolate pine nut cookies to get rid of them.
darn

dd's latest movie is muppets take manhattan. I've seen it about 100 times now. I hadn't seen it before dh showed it to dd, and so I still have no idea what the first half is...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page