eggs are dairy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During my googling for a dairy free brownie recipe I found that many people were making reference to the fact that some recipes had eggs in them, stating that they weren't "dairy-free" because there were eggs. My DD is odd in that she is allergic to egg yokes as well as all dairy, but as far as I know, eggs come from chickens, dairy (generally) from cows. Why do people assume dairy=eggs?

Also, side note: anyone have a good dairy free, egg yoke free recipe for brownies and/ or cookies?

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#2 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Only in this country, LOL! As a Canadian, that confused the heck out of me. I think it is because eggs and milk are traditionally in the "dairy" case in the stores. It figures Americans would classify foods based on their supermarket groupings rather than the creatures they come from :

Anyhow, I don't think there is any reason to assume egg and milk allergies are linked .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM

I get asked that all the time! My boys can't do dairy so people always ask if eggs are ok? Baffles me.
#4 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had someone make the no-egg assumption when I said were consumed no dairy, it was odd. I agree with mamafish, the only reason I can tell is that they're refrigerated together in most grocery stores.

As for brownies, I've just recently learned the wonders of boxed GF mix, the Cherrybrook brand of brownies are really, really yummy. I haven't tried making my own yet (not sure if you need GF, if not, there's got to be a cheaper approach, I just don't know it).
#5 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM

I've not tried the Cherrybrook Kitchen brownie mix yet, but their chocolate cake mix is fabulous.

I've had reasonably good luck using Duncan Hines brownie mix and subbing 1/4 cup mashed tofu per egg.

There's also a dairy and egg free brownie recipe in The Bakin' Without Egg cookbook by an author with the last name Emro... I have the cookbook around here somewhere still.
#6 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 06:36 PM

When I was little, I thought dairy meant eggs and milk products.

Did they used to be pictured together on the food pyramid we were brainwashed with?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page