Arsenic in rice milk. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son drank HUGE amts of this from about 1yo to 2 yo. He was very small and has severe oral aversions. He also has eczema so I thought the rice milk might be better tolerated than dairy milk. I googled arsenic and from what I understand it can cause lowered IQ's in children and various forms of cancer in adults exposed over the long term. My son does not have a lowered IQ, he's quite bright BUT he is quirky and probably has a "ghosting" of autism...he definitely has sensory issues. I'm guessing he's one of those who might have trouble ridding his body of heavy metals...but I'm not really sure what affect this might have on his health. Anyone have a link for what affects arsenic may have? Is it like lead, mercury?

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#32 of 41 Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Apparently you never met my son! He could completely fill up on a bowlful of brown rice or rice pasta if I let him, even when he was a toddler.

I still don't feel that I know enough to act on this information. Nowhere do I see a chart of "this much rice is safe for a person who weighs this much". Nor do I have any information about the safety of alternative grains. If I replace brown rice with millet, am I avoiding toxins or just substituting one toxin for another?

I also know of real health risks to me if I consume corn, or if I'm exposed to wheat products at all. Are there any rice free, corn free, gluten free pastas out there? All the gluten-free pastas I've seen, except for the brown rice ones, contained some amount of corn. At this point, the rice pasta still seems like the safest choice for my family.
FWIW, I'm not eliminating all rice. For things we consume infrequently, like rice pasta, that are hard to sub, I'll stick with what we've got. For rice milk, I could use other stuff easily, and I don't use that much anyway, so that's an easy change too. If we consumed a lot, I'd stop, we (me and the kids) can't handle that. As you said, there are probably some issues with the subs, so for low-exposure foods (and to not drive myself batty) I'm not going to go crazy. But if we ate a lot of rice with meals, I'd probably look more into other grains.

eta: fwiw, rice is the only grain I've stumbled across (haven't specifically researched, just generally reading for sources of exposure) that has a heavy metal issue. My reading was in the context of heavy metal toxicity issues and people eating gfcf, so alternative grains would be more likely to come up than in more mainstream articles. fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
My son drank HUGE amts of this from about 1yo to 2 yo. He was very small and has severe oral aversions. He also has eczema so I thought the rice milk might be better tolerated than dairy milk. I googled arsenic and from what I understand it can cause lowered IQ's in children and various forms of cancer in adults exposed over the long term. My son does not have a lowered IQ, he's quite bright BUT he is quirky and probably has a "ghosting" of autism...he definitely has sensory issues. I'm guessing he's one of those who might have trouble ridding his body of heavy metals...but I'm not really sure what affect this might have on his health. Anyone have a link for what affects arsenic may have? Is it like lead, mercury?
Search in this forum, someone asked about arsenic recently and I typed up the stuff from Andy Cutler's book (he's a good resource for oral chelation and the health effects of heavy metals).
#33 of 41 Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Tracy, don't read it. I didn't. Don't worry about it.

Fear is more damaging than Rice Milk.

All is well.

Pat

I have a blog.
#34 of 41 Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
ugh i hate reading threads like this.

nothing is safe.

we are a suicidal species!
I so totally agree, we eat a lot of rice and DS2 eats tons. He went through a phase when that was all hwe would eat and now I read this

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#35 of 41 Old 07-17-2009, 02:44 PM

The arsenic was always in rice. Our species wasn't this ill all the way at the beginning of our rice-consuming ways. It is only recently. So, something we were doing for thousands of years must have helped us cope with the arsenic.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#36 of 41 Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
Yeah, maybe. I have friends in this forum whose judgment I trust. This news is very upsetting to me as we've already given up wheat and all forums of gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, peas and chocolate. And I don't want to face giving up rice milk. So I'm looking to my peeps here in this forum for a little help, support and possible insight rather than delve right in right now.

Thanks,
Tracy
Hey, I read the articles, and I am not upset AND my kids [a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old] will still get Rice Milk. Just not in high quantities. That also includes other rice products.

Because the articles aren't just talking about the Rice Milk but all rice products have certain levels of arsenic in them; so does lettuce, and my little 2 yr old loves lettuce!!

I just typed in Rice and Arsenic in the google search engine and one article on food safety states: "U.S. rice consumption averages about 12 grams daily; but it's calculated that people who eat more than 115 grams daily are the ones at risk!" I know my family does not consume that much rice or rice milk, this article says "the consumer shouldn’t be overly concerned!"

I know families that eat rice as a staple every day, sometimes twice or more per day, and their kids have grown up on this type of diet [they're now feeding this same diet to their children] and they've never had a sick day in their lives. Their elderly live into their 90s. Plus they're not fat...

Any rate, that is me venting, sorry!

Every once in a while I read about Xylitol being unsafe, unproven, toxic, etc.. But my mom researched it on the web and discovered it has been used for over 40 yrs in Finland with thousands of children; 16 or more yrs in South America with thousands more; has been used with hundreds of preschool and kindergarten kids here in the US, is being promoted by the US Military - no one has ever died from using it AND it remineralizes cavities, halts big ones, clears up gum disease, and I was told today that it also halts Candida - how much more proof, testing, safety-record does it have to have? We use it and horray it honestly does all the things it says it does [I don't know about the Candida; but the rest 'YES!"]

So I do not listen to anyone anymore except my mom, she says eliminate that which you know is harmful to you and your family, use with discretion the rest. Don't make life unbearable! That's the advice I live by!
#37 of 41 Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Sorry, but isn't 115 grams equivalent to 4 ounces? Seems like a pretty low threshold to me. I for one am avoiding rice... not just because of this news story- but because it has almost no nutrients (and apparently has heavy metals). Since rice was our last "safe" grain, we're now grain free.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#38 of 41 Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 PM

Sometimes I wish I didn't know about these things. I think it would be easier to live as one of accepting masses.

I'm married to a cajun and we eat rice at almost every meal. I thought I was making strides by getting him to accept brown rice. Oh well, this man will never give up rice. It's in his blood.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#39 of 41 Old 07-19-2009, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
The arsenic was always in rice. Our species wasn't this ill all the way at the beginning of our rice-consuming ways. It is only recently. So, something we were doing for thousands of years must have helped us cope with the arsenic.
I think some level of arsenic toxicity was probably in existence, it may vary depending on other sources of arsenic and other metals in the environment.

I don't have the link, but there are differences seen in Bangladeshis' arsenic status (where arsenic from water as well as food is a serious issue) based on their blood folate levels. Folate's important for methylation, and given how much leafy green stuff, and other good folate sources, many folks in the US (don't) eat, combined with too many other things to methylate in our current environment, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an issue now, when it hasn't been as much of one in the past.

Environmental allergies are related to methylation (I just got to demonstrate it on myself recently, ran out of B12 for a month or so, and gradually I noticed my runny nose was getting worse, and that stopped within 2 days of going out and buying a new B12 supp--B12 and folate work together with a few other things for methylation), and enviro allergies are on the rise in the US. I don't think that's being caused by rice consumption of course, but for people problem-solving other health issues, becoming aware of stuff like this and making changes if they seem appropriate to their situations is prudent.
#40 of 41 Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Interesting, Tanya.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#41 of 41 Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM

I realize that this thread is old, but I would like to add a page from the Consumer Reports website about the arsenic-in-rice issue.  It's from December 2011.

http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2011/12/new-study-focuses-on-arsenic-in-rice.html

Yes, the arsenic is in the RICE.  And yes, it is possible that the water feeding the rice (or whatever crop such as apples) can be contaminated, but that seems less improbably because our waters are tested and treated.  This may be true in developing countries.  The bulk of the source seems to be in the soil from heavy pesticide use back in the day when cotton was grown in that soil, before rice or apple trees were planted.

Therefore, I am wondering if we buy organic rice from farmers who have been practicing organic methods as long as possible would be a safer rice to eat in the U.S.  Older the farm, the better.  For example, Lundberg family seems to have been an organic farm from the beginning, but I don't know if starting a business in 1937 was early enough.  Considering the fact that the scientists created GMO rice that would grow better in pesticide-laden field, the time frame for Lundberg rice might be okay.  And, they are grown in CA, not in the midwest.

The link one of the posters included was a Telegraph (UK) article said that Basmati rice from India and rice from Egypt are the safest.  If we want to eat rice, that is another option.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page