Raw Honey for Seasonal Allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been suggested to me that I try raw local honey for my seasonal allergies. In the past few years my allergies have become to severe that I had to start medication for them. I took Nasonex last year but I really, really do not want to take conventional medicine for this problem. Well, now I am pregnant so allergy meds are out of the equation anyway.

My allergies are moderate, I would say. From late July until October I have unbearably itchy eyes, a swollen face and eyes, constant sneezing, hives, constantly runny nosy (which often leads to a sinus infection) and an itchy throat, nose and sinuses. The symptoms are bad enough that I am unable to function normally or get through the day. These allergies did not start until after my first child was born and my mom had the same problem that developed after her first (me) as well. Once I start with the seasonal allergies I am allergic to many other things as well... things that I usually have no problem with, like my face lotion gives me hives and I'm highly allergic to dust.

So, I am hoping that some of the experienced mamas here can give me some suggestions. I picked up some local honey but getting a spoonful of it down is like torture. Will it work if I mix it into tea or will the heat kill the pollens that are supposed to help my body become immune to the allergens? Is there anything else I can use? I know there are homeopathic treatments for allergies but I cannot afford to see a naturopath at this time. I'm going to try the health food store next week.

My MW said I can treat the symptoms but not the allergies... for example, I can use Visine for my eyes, cortisone cream for the hives and Benadryl if I get desperate. Benadryl and I don't really mix, though. Even as little as a teaspoon of the children's formula puts me out for hours... not really safe with 2 little ones around.

I'll happily welcome any suggestions! If you read this far, thank you!!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM

I am all about the homeopathic remedy called SAbadil by Boiron. there is also a homeop. eye drop that they sell in target called Similasin. Those are amazing for us! As for bees products, i think local pollen is usually recommended, and taking it for a while before the season starts. Also, using nettle (comes in capsules or tea) is said to help. I never had allergies until i had my first child and they were really bad for a few years. Now, 8 yrs later, they are bearable and mild. Best with feeling better!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM

I think that different treatments work differently for different people. I tend to see that when you go a natural route, it tends to take time to work which means that you would have needed to start this before allergy season to get the full benefit *if* raw honey would work for you.

Here is a recent thread for some additional ideas:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...allergy+remedy

Good luck!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsAndMarigolds View Post
I am all about the homeopathic remedy called SAbadil by Boiron. there is also a homeop. eye drop that they sell in target called Similasin. Those are amazing for us! As for bees products, i think local pollen is usually recommended, and taking it for a while before the season starts. Also, using nettle (comes in capsules or tea) is said to help. I never had allergies until i had my first child and they were really bad for a few years. Now, 8 yrs later, they are bearable and mild. Best with feeling better!
would the similasin be okay to take while nursing? or would it maybe do drying up problems too? thanks!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:17 PM

I've always used homeopathic remedies while nursing. In fact, i think I discovered these while preg/nursing my youngest. haven't had a problem, but since you ask, maybe there is something to it? Why do you think they eye drops would dry up milk supply? If you have eye troubles and the drops work, you'll be so relieved!

User Tag List