intolerance to kefir? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started making coconut water kefir about a month ago. I thought it might help my son who has severe oral aversions but it seems to have done the opposite. Everyone else in my family is fine w/it but it has caused a strange kind of diarrhea in my son. I have a friend who has IBS and she gets the same kind of diarrhea...sorry if this is TMI but....my son ends up pooping clear liquid. When I stop the kefir he returns to "normal" by the next day or two...I gave him S. boulardii probiotics and it seems to help stop the diarrhea (or maybe it's just the cessation of the kefir that stops the diarrhea?). I restarted the kefir and he got the same symptoms again so I'm sure it's the kefir.

I googled kefir and diarrhea and have found nothing about kefir causing diarrhea just info about kefir stopping diarrhea. I understand that if the kefir is not fermented for long enough that it can cause "mild" diarrhea but this is not mild and I fermented the coconut water for >24hrs, plus no one else in my family has had a reaction to the kefir. One site I found mentioned something about a leaky gut connection in autistic children and certain autistic children being unable to tolerate kefir and/or probiotics. My son may be on the autistic spectrum...not sure...but he definitely has sensory issues.
Could someone tell me if what's happening to my son could be a "healing" thing where if I were to start w/a drop of kefir (as opposed to a tablespoon)I could slowly increase the amount w/out eliciting the symptoms again OR whether some people simply can't tolerate kefir and never will? Is there a difference between milk kefir and coconut water kefir? Should I try milk?

I'd appreciate any help!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#2 of 28 Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

ps If you don't have answers to my ?? but know where I might be able to find answers PLEASE let me know! I have googled to no avail

#3 of 28 Old 07-11-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

anyone here make kefir? anyone?

#4 of 28 Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 PM

How old is your son, how much kefir is he consuming? Did you start slowly? Have you tried coconut water separately? Coconut water/milk (itself) can give diarrhea to some folks. Too much kefir (water or milk) can give diarrhea to some folks.

The s. boulardii displaces and replaces candida albicans. Does ds have eczema, other yeast symptoms? Do you have a history of mercury (silver) fillings in your teeth? Any history of antibiotics before/during/after birth? Is he nursing? Any new detox/gut healing that you've added to your diet? It might help to have a whole picture of your gut healing journey.

Any other new 'foods' introduced alongside? What coconut water/milk are you using? Any additives in it? Have you tried fresh, raw coconut water or coconut milk? Are you adding sugar to the culture? How much? Coconut oil (in coconut milk) can cause die-off of candida also.

Are you using REAL kefir grains or a starter powder?

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 28 Old 07-11-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
How old is your son, how much kefir is he consuming? Did you start slowly? Have you tried coconut water separately? Coconut water/milk (itself) can give diarrhea to some folks. Too much kefir (water or milk) can give diarrhea to some folks.

He's 5 yo. I started very slowly...actually following your advice...1 tablespoon a day.

He's been drinking coconut milk for a few yrs in his smoothie and NEVER had a reaction. He's never had coconut water.

The s. boulardii displaces and replaces candida albicans. Does ds have eczema, other yeast symptoms? Do you have a history of mercury (silver) fillings in your teeth? Any history of antibiotics before/during/after birth? Is he nursing? Any new detox/gut healing that you've added to your diet? It might help to have a whole picture of your gut healing journey.

He has eczema but I'm unsure of other yeast symptoms. I have a few fillings, I'm sure there's mercury but my son has no cavities. No, antibiotics recently...when he was very little he had a few skin infections from eczema and he was prescribed abx but he hasn't had any meds in at least 2 yrs. He was hospitalized w/nutritional deficiencies when he was 2 (he has severe oral aversions/sensory issues preventing him from eating well) but I believe these are being dealt w/adequately now. His diet is limited but he's of average height so his growth is good and apart from being very quirky (he goes through periods of anxiety/OCD type behavior) he's a generally happy, healthy kid.

He's not nursing. Nothing else was added w/the kefir and I've done a couple of trials w/the kefir. Stopping and starting. When I stop giving it to him the diarrhea is gone in 24hrs. If I start putting it back in his smoothie he's pooping clear liquid (sorry TMI) w/in a couple of hrs.

Any other new 'foods' introduced alongside? What coconut water/milk are you using? Any additives in it? Have you tried fresh, raw coconut water or coconut milk? Are you adding sugar to the culture? How much? Coconut oil (in coconut milk) can cause die-off of candida also.

No other new foods added. "One" brand coconut water. I don't have access to coconuts. I don't add sugar. I use only coconut water. I've been putting coconut oil in his smoothies for a long time w/no reaction but I don't add any to the kefir..

Are you using REAL kefir grains or a starter powder?

Yep, I followed one of the links you gave me and bought water grains from Cultures for Health.

Pat
Pat,

You suggested I take him off the kefir, which I did. When he was back to normal I tried putting a couple of teaspoons in his smoothie and w/in hrs the diarrhea was back. I have never seen this kind of diarrhea before. He's never shown a reaction to any coconut products I've used and he consumes quite a bit. I am puzzled. If it is a healing reaction I understand that things can get worse before they get better but I don't know if this is healing or intolerance where his body is better off w/out it. I just can't find any examples anywhere else of individuals being intolerant to kefir. If you can think of anything I'd really appreciate your input!

#6 of 28 Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 PM

I reread your old posts and remember our old discussions now. I'm concerned with the liquid, clear diarrhea. That seems unusual. Any other probiotics, magnesium, vit C changes? My best suggestion is to back off to 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon and gradually increase by the same amount each week. It sounds like the kefir has a big impact on his gut. I'm surprised, considering he tolerates the coconut oil and coconut water itself.

Do you have any breastmilk, by chance? I'd be inclined to include that for gut healing benefits.

What do his stools look like "normally"? JaneS (and momofmine) is the poop police. But, I've gathered that they should be brown, soft, formed, not float, not break apart, long S-shaped, no mucus, not green, no undigested food bits. (daily)

What are the few foods that ds consumes? I've also heard of the mucus sloughing off when one has a history of wheat/gluten to clear from the villi along the walls of the colon. The mucus, clear or sludgy stool 'peels' away from the walls to leave a surface area free to absorb nutrients.

There are more probiotics in 1ml of kefir than in a probiotic capsule. So, very little is needed for huge benefits.

Any chance of adding some carrot juice, ACV, sauerkraut juice, dosed by teaspoon? These are very beneficial for stomach acid and thus nutrient absorption.

The other thing I'm wondering, is if there are parasites or other pathogenic bacteria being killed by the kefir, thus the die-off. Ecoli, listeria, and salmonella could not grow in kefir. http://tmc.dergisi.org/pdf/pdf_TMC_279.pdf

Same with kombucha (which has s. boulardii). The antimicrobial activity of Kombucha was investigated against a number of pathogenic microorganisms. Staphylococcus aureus, Shigella sonnei, Escherichia coli, Aeromonas hydrophila, Yersinia enterolitica, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterobacter cloacae, Staphylococcus epidermis, Campylobacter jejuni, Salmonella enteritidis, Salmonella typhimurium, Bacillus cereus, Helicobacterpylori, and Listeria monocytogenes were found to be sensitive to Kombucha.
http://www.organic-kombucha.com/komb...l_studies.html

Same with clostridium. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

So, I wonder what pathogenic microbials are being displaced by the kefir.

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 28 Old 07-12-2009, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I reread your old posts and remember our old discussions now. I'm concerned with the liquid, clear diarrhea. That seems unusual. Any other probiotics, magnesium, vit C changes? My best suggestion is to back off to 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon and gradually increase by the same amount each week. It sounds like the kefir has a big impact on his gut. I'm surprised, considering he tolerates the coconut oil and coconut water itself.

Nothing new was added w/the kefir except the s. boulardii when he started having the clear liquid poops. About a month ago I started giving him tiny amts of Brainchild mag and zinc and I swear these were helping him to be slightly less sensitive to the flavor of his smoothie but I ran out of these sample bottles before I started him on the kefir and he didn't seem to have a reaction to these. He routinely gets camu camu for vit c and a smidgeon of vitamineral green which has a mix of "soil" probiotics. He gets Freeda unflavoured children's chewables and a tiny bit of DHA but all these things are routine...not new. All these things go into his "smoothie".

Do you have any breastmilk, by chance? I'd be inclined to include that for gut healing benefits.

No breastmilk...my third and last child is 3.5.

What do his stools look like "normally"? JaneS (and momofmine) is the poop police. But, I've gathered that they should be brown, soft, formed, not float, not break apart, long S-shaped, no mucus, not green, no undigested food bits. (daily)

His stools are usually little clay-brown balls if he's had nothing but cheese or sometimes a bit softer, but rarely "runny"...I'd say he tends more towards hard stools but he is quite regular...goes at least once a day.

Right now, after the kefir, his bms have ranged from clear liquid sometimes w/stringy mucous other times no mucous which he can't control...he was wetting his pants every half hr and was understandably upset about this.....to a strange wet mushy form that has little blackish particles in it...I can't even think what the black particles are.

What are the few foods that ds consumes? I've also heard of the mucus sloughing off when one has a history of wheat/gluten to clear from the villi along the walls of the colon. The mucus, clear or sludgy stool 'peels' away from the walls to leave a surface area free to absorb nutrients.

His main solid food is cheese. He'll also eat fig newtons and buckwheat waffles and sometimes tofurkey slices, occasionally some almonds (must be smoked), very occasionally bread or toast. He also likes small quantities of gingerbread cookies (only my recipe) and kit kats. His main nutrition comes from his smoothie...he consumes roughly 24 oz of this a day and it contains about 2/3 fortified hemp milk, and 1/3 a mix of prune juice, carrot juice, goodbelly, coconut oil, coconut milk, a smidgeon of pumpkin seed butter, vitamineral green, hemp seed, hemp oil, banana, and a couple of leaves of kale, dandelion or spinach. I also add freeda chewable vitamins, dha, vitamin D, sometimes a few extra drops of vitamin B complex and mag or zinc if I have it. I am constrained by the fact that he will not drink it if the color or taste changes. He is so affected by smells that he cannot eat if he smells certain foods like peanut butter and lately even potato. I HATE mealtimes!

There are more probiotics in 1ml of kefir than in a probiotic capsule. So, very little is needed for huge benefits.

Any chance of adding some carrot juice, ACV, sauerkraut juice, dosed by teaspoon? These are very beneficial for stomach acid and thus nutrient absorption.

He does get a small amt of bottled carrot juice (lakewood...not from concentrate but not fresh either) but he certainly would pass out if I offered him ACV or sauerkraut...the smell would be too much.

The other thing I'm wondering, is if there are parasites or other pathogenic bacteria being killed by the kefir, thus the die-off. Ecoli, listeria, and salmonella could not grow in kefir. http://tmc.dergisi.org/pdf/pdf_TMC_279.pdf

I'm sorry I'm pretty ignorant about these things but if he had one of these wouldn't he have food poisoning?

Same with kombucha (which has s. boulardii). The antimicrobial activity of Kombucha was investigated against a number of pathogenic microorganisms. Staphylococcus aureus, Shigella sonnei, Escherichia coli, Aeromonas hydrophila, Yersinia enterolitica, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterobacter cloacae, Staphylococcus epidermis, Campylobacter jejuni, Salmonella enteritidis, Salmonella typhimurium, Bacillus cereus, Helicobacterpylori, and Listeria monocytogenes were found to be sensitive to Kombucha.
http://www.organic-kombucha.com/komb...l_studies.html

I could see maybe some of these things though not sure where they would come from....is it a case of overgrowth or the introduction of these organisms from an outside source? He doesn't go to school...I homeschool so I'm trying to figure out where these pathogens would have been picked up?

Same with clostridium. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

So, I wonder what pathogenic microbials are being displaced by the kefir.
Pat
I am a little worried as this latest bout of liquid poop is lasting longer than the last bout. He looked very pale today and his behavior has also been a bit "over the top" ...acting out, a little wilder than usual. Should I wait until his poop returns to normal and start w/1/8th of a spoon of kefir? Intuitively I feel that the kefir has the potential to help him BUT I am scared of the reaction he's having.

Thanks for your help Pat!

#8 of 28 Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM

I would stop the kefir and get back to baseline.

My sense about it is that the microbials in the gut are out of balance, thus the diarrhea. The goodbelly, soil probiotics, s. boulardii and kefir sound like they are all impacting the microbial balance. Generally, the dry probiotics are much less effective at actually surviving to the gut. The goodbelly have some of the same beneficial probiotics as kefir. Fewer, but significant amounts and are in an acid medium, basically.

Other pathogenic microbials are commonly present in our gut, but are kept in balance with the beneficial microbials. Die-off of 'bad' bacteria occurs when they are killed or displaced by 'good' bacteria. The discarded/dead bacteria is excreted in the stool. When a lot of bacteria die-off, one can get diarrhea.

That is my basic understanding. Having too much die-off can be unpleasant, certainly. So, I'd back off, return to baseline and slowly add the kefir in smaller increments. Kefir is powerfully concentrated with MANY strains of beneficial microbials. Some folks tolerate a hard cleanse. I'm more of an advocate of gentle healing.

The smoothie sounds magical and nutritious. Congratulations on such a complex food that he tolerates! I've similarly provided nutrition for ds in his smoothie. He has veto'd smoothies the past 6 months though. However, he has a much more varied diet and I "amend" and enrich much of it, each day.

Pat

I have a blog.
#9 of 28 Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your input Pat. I shall drop the probiotics for a few days til the poop is back to normal and then start w/1/8th spoon of kefir. AND thank-you for the smoothie affirmation...it has evolved slowly and is ever evolving as I learn...the proof is in the pudding...my son is healthy (knock on wood), happy and growing As an aside my youngest, who was supposed to have had the greatest number of prob's....she was born at 26 weeks...eats like a horse and she has dropped down to about 6 oz of the smoothie as her solid diet choices have exploded in number so very much like your son...I wish my son would follow suit...maybe one day....

#10 of 28 Old 07-12-2009, 02:58 PM

FWIW, I agree with Pat, that very small amounts of kefir are triggering a die-off reaction of some sort for your son (yeast or something like that). I think it may be a sign that the kefir is doing something very good for him, it's just doing it too fast.

And I wish my son would drink smoothies - sounds yummy and extremely nutritious!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#11 of 28 Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! Oddly enough after stopping the kefir and diarrhea my son has not had a bm of any kind in over 24 hrs! I know this is ok for some but my son is very regular under "normal" conditions...he has in the past had a least one bm a day. Is it normal for the pendulum to swing back in the opposite direction?

I think the most important thing as far as getting my son to drink his smoothie was to start w/a drink that he liked and trusted.... 99% of this and 1% of the "good stuff"...all the other stuff! We originally used rice milk...yes the one loaded w/arsenic!...then we slowly switched to the hemp then the other stuff a drop at a time.

#12 of 28 Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 PM

Maybe, try the small amount of kefir, every other, or every third day?

Pat

I have a blog.
#13 of 28 Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM

Maybe, try the small amount of kefir, every other, or every third day?

Generally, we need solid food to have solid stools. Or at least enough fiber to form stools. Perhaps, he just got well cleaned out, and it'll take a few days to build back up?

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 28 Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Wow!

I've been consuming close to a pint of (dairy) kefir every day and haven't had the slightest change from it. I did not start slowly. Maybe only 8 ounces of kefir per day the first few days, then 16 ounces ever since.

I have a feeling, aris, that your DS really needed the kefir.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#15 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Wow!

I've been consuming close to a pint of (dairy) kefir every day and haven't had the slightest change from it. I did not start slowly. Maybe only 8 ounces of kefir per day the first few days, then 16 ounces ever since.

I agree w/you but I'm wondering how long it takes to see a reduction in "symptoms"?! I followed Pat's advice (thanks Pat!!) and gave him an 1/8th of a teaspoon up until today. He seemed to be getting back to normal...well, today I jumped the gun and gave him 1/4 teaspoon and BANG! the water-like diarrhea came right back. Not as many episodes but he had to change his underwear 3 times in one hr! I guess I'll drop him back to 1/8th of a spoon. I think it's strange...I mean I wondered if it was something I was doing wrong w/the kefir since I'm a newbie but my parents, my elder dd and I, myself, have been drinking quantities w/no change in digestion. My youngest seemed to have more bms but they were well formed...no diarrhea.

I did read somewhere awhile ago that some autistic children do not tolerate probiotics well. Not saying my son is autistic but he does share some traits...maybe the children who don't tolerate it are the ones that REALLY need it?!

#16 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
I did read somewhere awhile ago that some autistic children do not tolerate probiotics well. Not saying my son is autistic but he does share some traits...maybe the children who don't tolerate it are the ones that REALLY need it?!
I think some autistic children respond very strongly to probiotics because they have really messed up guts, but I'm not sure that's the same as not tolerating? My son is autistic, and kefir has been great for him. However, I can totally believe it is not right for everyone.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#17 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Wow!

I'm curious if this was kefir made with real kefir grains, or commercial kefir.

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
#18 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
He seemed to be getting back to normal...well, today I jumped the gun and gave him 1/4 teaspoon and BANG! the water-like diarrhea came right back.
Gosh, this sounds so frustrating and challenging. The kefir continues to 'get stronger' the longer it ferments in the refrigerator, over time. Not hugely. But, it sounds like your son is very sensitive.

Consider making fresh kefir for him daily, with just a smidgen of milk, for a short time in the cupboard, and your family drink the rest. Sounds like a lot of trouble. Another possibility is to just give it every few days and gradually work up to daily over months. Every little bit will help. With our son, occasionally, he'll try some kombucha, which will help to clear candida. The coconut oil (which I know you are including does this also). What about something more mild like homemade yogurt? There are fewer microbials, in variety and quantity, than in kefir.

I'm wondering if he is having gas pains? Another possibility is that the kefir is continuing its ferment IN the smoothie, over the course of the day, especially at room temperature. Maybe add the kefir *just* to the first morning smoothie, rather than to the whole smoothie?

Pat

I have a blog.
#19 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I'm curious if this was kefir made with real kefir grains, or commercial kefir.

Thanks, Pat
Real homemade kefir.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#20 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Gosh, this sounds so frustrating and challenging. The kefir continues to 'get stronger' the longer it ferments in the refrigerator, over time. Not hugely. But, it sounds like your son is very sensitive.

Consider making fresh kefir for him daily, with just a smidgen of milk, for a short time in the cupboard, and your family drink the rest. Sounds like a lot of trouble. Another possibility is to just give it every few days and gradually work up to daily over months. Every little bit will help. With our son, occasionally, he'll try some kombucha, which will help to clear candida. The coconut oil (which I know you are including does this also). What about something more mild like homemade yogurt? There are fewer microbials, in variety and quantity, than in kefir.

I'm wondering if he is having gas pains? Another possibility is that the kefir is continuing its ferment IN the smoothie, over the course of the day, especially at room temperature. Maybe add the kefir *just* to the first morning smoothie, rather than to the whole smoothie?

Pat
Ok now I'm confused (please remember I'm a kefir newbie so I may be asking some silly ??) but I generally ferment the coconut water for 24 hrs and then put it in the fridge. Doesn't longer fermentation cause constipation and <24 hrs cause mild diarrhea? I guess I was thinking that if the kefir was then put in the fridge it was ok to use it for a couple of days because it might actually counteract the diarrhea? Or is it that someone as sensitive as my son is getting diarrhea for reasons other than fermentation times?

When you say a smidgen of milk...do I add this to the coconut water after it has become kefir? What if I were to make milk kefir w/milk grains? Are these easier on the digestion or the same? How easy is yogurt to make? If it's as easy as kefir I can def. try this.

I don't actually add the kefir to the large "mother jar" of smoothie that I blend every morning. I add it to a single serving so it really doesn't have time to continue fermenting other than sitting in the kefir jar in the fridge....not sure if this makes a difference.

If all else fails I'll try every other day.

AND yes, he is having A LOT of gas and some pain.

Thanks Pat!

#21 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 PM

By "milk", I meant your coconut water. Sorry, I misspoke.

Yes, your understanding of constipation/loose stools is a basic 'rule of thumb' about kefir fermented in the cupboard. But, the longer the kefir *continues* to ferment in cupboard or refrigerator (slowly), there are more beneficial microbials developing and theoretically "better" for impaired guts, per my understanding. However, your son is so sensitive to "foreign" bacteria in the gut, it seems to create quite a reaction. Did you/he receive antibiotics at birth? Our son did. And I lament the day. :::sigh:::

Basically, at birth our body 'learns' what is "normal" and "foreign", and antibiotics mess that up. So, the body attacks normal gut microbials as an "invader". That is an auto-immune disorder, essentially. Some bodies are more severely impacted than others. MY belief/hope/perception/research/reading/understanding leads me to embrace whole food nutrition with nutrient dense foods, and improving stomach acid to improve bio-availability of nutrients, and improved nutrients for opening detox pathways, and replacement of beneficial microbials for optimizing and healing the gut/immune system.

I believe that *traditional* whole food probiotics are more holistic than processed ones. The commercial soil probiotics are a fascinating concept, one which I haven't embraced completely. I really have no idea how the various probiotics you are administering interact with each other. The Good-belly is about the equivalent of commercial yogurt, with Active Live Cultures So, if you are having success with that, I would be comfortable holding off on kefir. I haven't made coconut yogurt at home. Finding a non-dairy culture starter is the catch.

My guiding premise is to *listen to the body*. So, if he isn't feeling well with an addition (ie kefir), I'd hold off, wait, continue along, and retry some time in the future. The most important focus is that he continue to *trust* the nutrition in your magical smoothie. That is more important than kefir, imo.

Pat

I have a blog.
#22 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Have you considered classical homeopathy? I wonder how much that has helped us. Ds has amazing tolerance for foods, despite the antibiotics at birth and I didn't know about gut healing until 3+ years ago. We nursed until age 2, he has a huge mercury load from me, and I did elimination diets (nutrient deficient) for much of the first two years. The homeopathy seems to be the variable which moved us over the hump for our son to tolerate MANY foods to which he was formally intolerant. (Or, perhaps it was halting nursing and thus eliminating my toxin dumping...)

I still actively add and include nutrient dense foods into our diet and add gut healing processes (soaked grains, raw dairy, whole food probiotics, raw nuts, healthy oils, CLO, etc. etc.). However, ds (age 8) eats McDonalds about every weekend and does great. The homeopathy really seems to be a key for us. We have issues develop as the homeopathy 'wears off'; and I redose him and we have smoother behavioral transitions, better sleep, more food intake, less sensory issues, more ability to negotiate, etc.

I'm not wanting to send you chasing rainbows here, there and yonder. It is staggering the difficulty due to impaired guts. You are doing amazing with his nutrition.

All the best,

Pat

I have a blog.
#23 of 28 Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM

A quick thought that may or may not have been addressed already in this thread--is anyone else drinking the kefir? I wonder if the grains could be bad?

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#24 of 28 Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 PM

From my perspective it seems like the kefir clearly disagrees with your son.
Clear diarrhea, in my opinion, is a serious sign that the body is trying to rid itself of something, and can cause dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, etc. Perhaps this is a situation where the damage outweighs the benefits? By the way, from an Ayurvedic perspective, fermented foods, especially those that have been fermented more than ay day or so, can really provoke heat, or pitta, symptoms and conditions in a person, for example diarrhea.
#25 of 28 Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
A quick thought that may or may not have been addressed already in this thread--is anyone else drinking the kefir? I wonder if the grains could be bad?
Thanks for your input...but my entire family, my parents, my 2 other children and I, myself, have been drinking this stuff in various quantities w/no ill affects. I am new to the world of kefir making so I did wonder but I don't think this is the problem.

#26 of 28 Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomidwife View Post
From my perspective it seems like the kefir clearly disagrees with your son.
Clear diarrhea, in my opinion, is a serious sign that the body is trying to rid itself of something, and can cause dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, etc. Perhaps this is a situation where the damage outweighs the benefits? By the way, from an Ayurvedic perspective, fermented foods, especially those that have been fermented more than ay day or so, can really provoke heat, or pitta, symptoms and conditions in a person, for example diarrhea.
Thanks for your input. Are foods fermented for 24 hrs considered to be bad? My son had pretty bad diarrhea when I was giving him more than 1/4 teas every day. Now he just seems to have gas pains...I'm giving him 1/4 teas every other day. I think I can see some *good* changes in my son BUT I am not sure that these are attributable to the kefir. Is 24 hr old kefir that is stored in the fridge for a day or 2 still considered pitta? What foods are good for a person who is so sensitive? (We are vegetarian) I'd appreciate any input!

#27 of 28 Old 07-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Are you really attached to the giving him kefir? How long have you been giving it to him for? What does he say about it? Why not take some time off it a while if it is clearly causing him trouble? I posted a few weeks ago about fermented foods from an Ayurvedic perspective because so many folks here are into them, but in my experience they are not for everyone. You can check out that thread here. http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1103795

If it seems like your son has a pitta imbalance one place to start would be removing all the foods that are significantly heating, or pitta provoking. Lists of those can be found online, and typically include spicy and fermented foods, most cheese, dairy, etc.
#28 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomidwife View Post
Are you really attached to the giving him kefir? How long have you been giving it to him for? What does he say about it? Why not take some time off it a while if it is clearly causing him trouble? I posted a few weeks ago about fermented foods from an Ayurvedic perspective because so many folks here are into them, but in my experience they are not for everyone. You can check out that thread here. http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1103795

If it seems like your son has a pitta imbalance one place to start would be removing all the foods that are significantly heating, or pitta provoking. Lists of those can be found online, and typically include spicy and fermented foods, most cheese, dairy, etc.

Hmmm....I am not really attached to kefir. My son has oral aversions which at one point were so bad he was admitted to the ER w/nutritional deficiencies (when he was 2...he's almost 6 now). The Drs told us he would require a feeding tube. I did not want to go this route so I immediately remedied his deficiencies w/liquid vits. I had to almost sit on him to take these and 50% of them he threw up. I started researching and came up w/a nutritional drink/smoothie that he could tolerate...slowly adding bits of this and bits of that. Today he's a healthy, happy kid w/oral aversions and sensory issues...some of which he has overcome but others which have given rise to bigger problems.

I have been experimenting over the past 6 mos w/ supplements like mag, zinc, dha, and kefir to see if I can maybe lessen his oral defensiveness. He has (voluntarily) tried ONE new food in the past 4 yrs. Foods are offered, his siblings eat a variety of foods in his presence, different methods have been employed to get him to just place a new food on his lips or tongue but he won't. He's hyper sensitive to smell and taste. The kefir was one thing I thought might help. I don't think I could use the Ayurvedic method because if, as you say...and you may very well be correct, he has a pitta imbalance, I can't fix it any time soon as he relies HEAVILY on cheese for his main source of solid nutrition. One of the few high protein foods he consumes daily.

I see in many of the Ayurvedic sites foods that should be eaten or avoided...I can't do this easily w/my son...are there any specific nutrients...vitamins, minerals, micronutrients that can be hidden in a smoothie that I could try to counteract the affect of the cheese? He also LOVES Red Hot blue tortilla chips which ALWAYS produce an eczema flare-up around his mouth. I have restricted his access to these but I never say no when it comes to my son and food....a bite of any solid food has got to be a positive experience for him...even if he's sensitive to it.

Thanks so much for your input!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page