Pain from eating gluten? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having problems with pain on my side stomach area ever since my little dd was born 16 months ago. I have no medical insurance, but have went to the emergency room three times when the pain was bad enough to think that something inside was at a breaking point. I'm sure you can imagine the bills, with no answers. I'm wondering what kind of pain those with gluten intolerance/celiac feel? It is sometimes itchy, usually a burning, inflamed feeling, occasionally sorta crampy. Not constant, it comes and goes. Sometimes when it is at its worst, it is sensitive from the outside, like if my daughter oushes on that area or what not I have pain. This is very frustrating for me. About two months ago I went gluten free. In about a week I wasn't having pain anymore. About two weeks ago I decided to trial it and had some pizza. That evening I was having discomfort. Coincidence? I don't know. This week I've had pain more days than not, even though I've been very careful to be gluten free. It is possible that I had something accidently, but can't pinpoint what. Yesterday I was frustrating and ready to call it all stupid and call it quits. So I ordered pizza. And subs. Yeah. I don't even eat meat much either so this was pure indulgement. Anyway, last night and this morning it is burning and inflamed feeling. But I was already having discomfort anyway, so what am I supposed to think here? Here's the tmi part, lol. I haven't noticed any difference in my bowel movements. I have noticed there are times when I have pain right before I have to go. Any advice? More medical bills aren't really an option at this point. I was referreed to a GI, but I don't see that happening right now.

blogging.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 AM

I just wanted to hurry and tell you about my experience---related to Gluten? i think so--not sure though.

during the last trimester of my pregnancy with my last dd--I started getting really nasueous and have pain in my stomach when eating out at all or something fatty (meat, oil, etc)or whatnot---this continued a long time (during pregnancy I woould throw up all night from pain and sick in my upper right side of stomach)---but after baby it was only pain that would stay for the next day . I got my gallbladder checked at 8weeks post pardum--everything looked great--noone could answer any questions---I guessed--well I guess I'll never be okay eating meat or olive oil or fatty things every again since noone can help and I'm out of moolah.

still had the problem 7 months after baby--( avoided those things but still had once in awhile)--well when DD was 7 1/2 months old we cut gluten out---and guess what?!! pain is gone--I can eat what I want (within reason--of course--but I don't have that pain!) ---I've heard that celiacs can have problems digesting things--most commonly fats--but can be carbs, or other things too because of the damage in their gut.

my theory is that my gut was able to heal a little off gluten and my body digested them better? either way it's gone.
fast forward to my 6 week trial to get tested for celiac (found out my son has it)---and near the end there of consuming gluten (week 4) I started getting sick when I had fatty things again--no kidding!!--however my results came back negative and it was all for nothing (well I guess I got to see how crappy I really did feel eating gluten again)----we are off gluten again and won't ever look back I know that the "unexplainable pain" was from something related!!! HTH
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

I went off gluten for 1 month after suspicions that I might have celiac arose. My pain was somewhat similar and started 6 months after my dd was born (celiac can often come on after a pregnancy/surgery etc...) Then I decided to try reintroducing wheat and I was fine for 2 yrs!!! just this spring the pain started coming back...and mind you that it can be anything that my body can't digest properly, not specifically the gluten foods. So I went off all gluten again and my stomach pain still comes occasionally, but is far more mild. it feels like a inflammatory response and I have mild to extreme stomach pain on my left side right under my lower rib. So I also would have to theorize that being off gluten for a while can cause your body heal enough so that you can tolerate it for a while again...but ultimately damages it much more. I have been strictly off gluten since May and feel much better, but I think my complete healing will take longer. I also have no insurance and have been to the ER with no help. I wish I could get tested and am trying to get insurance now so that I can. I really fear that my dd3 has it too. we have similar constitutions and she gets stomach aches enough that I am worried.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
did they check your gallbladder? That can come and go.
Gluten causes muscle spasms/pain in my back for me (along with dairy and soy and chocolate) so it is possible. If it seems to help, then yes, I'd definitely go dairy free. But if you're having high fat when you have gluten (like pizza) I'm just wondering if it could be gallbladder since for me that was intense right pain side, and when my DS stepped on me by accident, I thought I was going to croak.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Absolutely sounds like gluten. And most ppl with gluten sensitivity cannot tolerate dairy/casein either.

User Tag List