LDA (low dose allergen) treatment - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for posting your experiences!

Me and my kids have been seeing an environmental doctor, and we have all had intradermal allergy testing done. It turns out we each have a lot of food to which we react. A lot of them were no surprise (like egg white for DD - she will only eat the yolk; or grapes, strawberries, apples for ds, who will only eat them in extremely minimal quantities, rarely). But the surprising part was the amount of foods to which we react (over 60% for me, more or less for each of the kids). He recommended LDA for all of us, and I'm not sure how beneficial it would be. HE is offering a "introductory" rate of $30/shot, which seems really reasonable, since is office is just getting started with it. Dh is very skeptical, doesn't think the kids allergy tests truly represent anything valid. I need to find good information to help him get onboard for the LDA. I see a nutritionist this week who will fully explain it, but it seems to me like the worst part of it is just the 3 days around shot time.
#32 of 57 Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM

I wish our doctor only charged $30/shot! It's $334 for both my girls together every 2 months after the doctor's discount since he knows we can't really afford it. Luckily my mom offered to pay for them!

For us the allergy testing really helped since when we eliminated the allergens my oldest had no more tantrums, sensory seeking or potty accidents. I think I linked to the pink book upthread, it talks about the shots in more detail. I'm lucky that after convincing dh about homebirth, no vax etc he just goes along with me on the allergy stuff.

For the 3 days we have done remarkably well. We don't usually have fish or lamb so it's a special treat during the 3 days. If the girls can't handle the restriction I cheat and let them have raisins, bananas and apples. It does say in the pink book that sometimes the diet can be modified for children. My girls have never reacted to those extra 3 foods so I decided it was worth it for us.

I doubt LDA works for everyone, but especially for that price I would give it a go as long as your intuition agrees.

:::
#33 of 57 Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

bigknitwit- did you guys decide to go with LDA? For that price, I would really encourage you to, if you haven't. Thankfully, our doctor has charged our visits as doctor visits, rather than half shot/half visit, so insurance and medicaid picks up the entire thing (I think he really felt bad for us at the last appointment)! We still have to pay travel costs to get there, so it turns into an expensive adventure, but I think in the long run it will be worth it. We're gearing up for shot #6 next Tuesday and are so, so excited! (does that sound awful? ) but after DS1's response to the last shot, we're just really ready to see his response to this one. Most people I've talked to have said that their children responded after 2-3 shots; I think our responses have been very minimal, up until the last shot, but it is important to remember it can take anywhere from 1 month to 18 months before it significantly helps someone. I'm trying to keep information on LDA on my blog, as well, I posted some links there to our clinic and Dr. Shrader's, who developed LDA, clinic. Click here if you want to check it out. I'm going to make a point to really document before/after LDA. It's hard to find info online about it, so I want to try and get some more out there, hopefully it helps someone and hopefully I can post some good response news next week!

linguistmama- how has it been going for you?

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

#34 of 57 Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM

I hope you see still more benefits after the next shot franklin!

We're taking a break from the lda for now. I took both dds to an energy healer that uses Kinergetics for their social anxiety. It turns out she can also help with their allergies. After one visit my oldest was able to eat anything and only reacts a little bit to yeast! I'm still in "stunned, is this for real mode?". My oldest's allergies all had an emotional component that was supposedly causing them. DD2 had a lot of inflamation and needs another visit tomorrow to start on clearing the actual allergies. I think it's kind of like naet in that it works on the body's energy system. I'd like to learn how to do it at home too if we need maintenance later. I'm crossing my fingers that this is our answer! If it doesn't end up holding we'll go back to lda since it was working.

:::
#35 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM

Hello all,

I'm new here and wanted to tell my story on LDA.  First, is very refreshing to know that I'm not alone.  Both my boys have several food allergies.  Dairy, soy, wheat, corn, eggs, apples, strawberries, bananas, peanuts, honey, sesame seeds, and grapes.  my oldest also have environmental allergies which results in needing breathing treatments every now and then.  my oldest has been getting lda shots since last December.  a couple of months ago i tried wheat (that had yeast) and he was up all night constantly scratching.  i tried corn around that time and he started having severe behavior problems.  AFter the next shot i tried wheat again w/o the yeast and he was able to have.  but after only giving it to him 2-3 times a week and in very small quantities, i noticed that he had the sores in his ears.  so i've stopped giving.  i don't know if the shot just wore off (he is getting his 6th shot this Friday) but it kinda stopped working. what if i was giving in large doses?  he also has been needing to get breathing treatments alot.  he will go for a long time w/o needing but then need it all the time.  so is it working?  i'm not sure.  i'm still prayful!!  my doctor says at the 6th shot he will add the full dose and then you can start adding stuff back.  i read that someone is going to start their 7.5 month old child on lda.  my dr said that my youngest needs to wait.  he is 2 now so hopefully soon.  but i kinda want to see if it is working for my oldest.  don't want to waist money.   

p.s.  my left shift is not working, hence the lower case letters. :-) 

#36 of 57 Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 AM

Me and Dd are going to have our first shot on Monday morning. It's weighing heavily on my mind, because I really don't know what I can feed her over the critical 3 days. She cannot eat mosto f the foods on the list (except lamb). I think we'll be eating a lot of lamb!

#37 of 57 Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM

Wow, cool to have found this thread! I've been thinking of getting these shots for my 7yo for about a year now.  I think we are finally going to do it.  She has multiple food & chemical allergies and asthma.  I have learned how to deal with the food allergies, but if her asthma can be helped with these shots (because it's mostly allergy induced) then I will be so grateful!!

#38 of 57 Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 AM

I am 58 yr. old and have been suffering from unexplained itching on my arms for over 30 yrs. and I had my second LDA shot on Fri. and it is amazing. My itching had decreased so much it's unbelieveable! The diet is hard but it is well worth it! I go to Dr. Natzke in Flint,MI and he is the best!

#39 of 57 Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Sharrad810,  It is so nice to hear of someone who has had success with Dr Natzke!  I go to him too and he really recommends this treatment for me.  I am reluctant because I've been taking Desipramine for pain from vulvodynia for 20 years and it sounds like I will have to go off that medication to do the LDA.  I got the impression that Dr Natzke feels I have more allergies at play than we've been able to test so far and that LDA will help with those.  I've been very overwhelmed since reading the pink booklet.

I realize that I take a lot of medication!  The idea of not being on any medication for a month is kind of scary!  I have another consultation with Dr Natzke before I officially take the time off work to get the testing done.

I've been just trying to learn more about LDA online and that's how I stumbled across this forum.  

#40 of 57 Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 AM

I had a hard time not thinking this guy is really strange....but I'm telling you I have had 2 shots not and I have hives only when I eat eggs. Everything else is okay. I tested allergic to yeast and chocolate, but I can handle those now. I just have to make sure I don't eat too much. I actually had eggs a couple of days ago and handled it pretty well. I had a slight itch and it was gone in about 2 hrs.  I think the problem with Dr. Natzke is he doesn't share his plan of action with the patient....I think that might help. He also helped me loose a good 10 lbs. I had candida and he gave me some meds for it and I lost the weight immediately. I went from 145 to 134 quickly. I feel so much better and I am not taking anything. Trust him...he will get you off your meds and into the best health you've ever had. I have been to so many Dr's and he is the first one that didn't try to over medicate me. All the other docs gave me drugs that made me want to sleep all the time. You've got to do everything he tells you to do and follow the diets. Make sure you make a list of the questions you have for him and write everything down. It's confusing if you don't. Don't be afraid to ask questions, they really don't mind. Good luck!

#41 of 57 Old 05-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Just wanted to encourage you - a friend of mine who is 42 yrs old had the LDA therapy when he was a boy in the 70's. He got the shots for 7 years and after that he can eat everything and isn't allergic to anything except for shellfish! His allergies were so bad one time while grocery shopping with his mom, they walked down an aisle where someone had dropped a bag of flour and his face swelled up like a balloon & they had to go to the hospital. He couldn't sleep on a regular mattress, couldn't eat lettuce or tomatoes! He was always sick. His mom is convinced with my CF and allergies that this is my answer and I'm going for it! I wanted to comment on your post because I also have vulvodynia after getting a bad yeast infection and it's miserable. I was relatively healthy until I developed allergies and asthma when I was 11 yrs old - then every so many years something else pops up. Now I'm bedirdden with CF and can hardly eat anything because of what looks like reactive hypoglycemia - but it could be allergies, too! They often go hand in hand. Bless you - I'll pray for you.

#42 of 57 Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 AM

I don't know much about this therapy, and it sounds like it still somewhat experimental. For those with environmental allergies, though, I want to mention that there is an established therapy called sublingual immunotherapy which is like allergy shots but instead is drops you take under your tongue at home, and therefore MUCH more convenient. There is a lot of medical data supporting this method and it's very popular in Europe. I am doing it for my severe environmental allergies (my allergist says he has onyl 2 or patients as allergic as me out of 400+) and have seen some improvement. It is not yet a miracle cure yet, but it takes about a year to work, so requires patience.

I think they are trying to figure out how to do SLIT for foods but are not there yet.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#43 of 57 Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Does anyone know of anyone specializing in LDA in Seattle, please?

#44 of 57 Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM

It isn't expermental! It's been around for a long time. I have had 3 shots now and my hives are gone! I went through Spring without my usual allergy problems. I have been moved to every 3 months now. I think you really have to follow the diet for good results! Dr. Natzke in Flint, MI is the best!

#45 of 57 Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Blessed_mom - Dr. Ranheim is an environmental medicine doc that does LDA, but he's up in Everett. We didn't do LDA, we just saw him to get some alternative testing ordered so that it would be covered by insurance (because he's an MD.) http://www.drpdranheim.com/ouroffice/ I'm sure there are some closer to Seattle... I just know of him because he was on our insurance. smile.gif

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#46 of 57 Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Blessed_mom - Dr. Ranheim is an environmental medicine doc that does LDA, but he's up in Everett. We didn't do LDA, we just saw him to get some alternative testing ordered so that it would be covered by insurance (because he's an MD.) http://www.drpdranheim.com/ouroffice/ I'm sure there are some closer to Seattle... I just know of him because he was on our insurance. smile.gif

changingseasons- do you see Dr. Ranheim anymore? We're coming down to the Seattle area in a couple weeks & I'm guessing I won't even be able to get DS1 into him, but was thinking of doing his next LDA with him, if it worked out- since it'll be his 7 weeks & I'm always interested in seeing a new doctor with a new perspective :)

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

#47 of 57 Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM

No- we only saw him a couple times. It was a pretty far drive for us, and we ran out of funds for testing & supplements.

#48 of 57 Old 01-12-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

No- we only saw him a couple times. It was a pretty far drive for us, and we ran out of funds for testing & supplements.

thanks! It's so frustrating that it costs so much money to get our little ones to the doctors that can really help them :(

#49 of 57 Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 PM

I agree!! greensad.gif

#50 of 57 Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 PM

CS...would you recommend Dr. Ranheim though? If we wanted to make the drive and bear the cost?

#51 of 57 Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM

Hi! 

I found your thread while researching LDA. We are considering if for our son. I am wondering how the treatment is going for you. We are very close to making a decision, but I wanted to reach out to some folks who have first hand experience. 

Thank you!

#52 of 57 Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM

My son has CF (he is 8 and misdiagnosed with ASD-HF)...because of his treatment for this (antiviral, antifungal, and select SSRI's) we were unable to continue LDA shots because for the three critical days you cannot take any meds, and after a consult with Dr. Schrader himself, he said we had to choose LDA or the CFS protocal with our famous doc in California.  We did do LDA three times, and I do think they helped....I wish I could've done longer.  Perhaps someday.  LDA actually made my kiddo allergic to the fillers in his meds so it has been sort of an expensive lesson learned as know we have to get those meds mentioned above compounded.

Don't know if this helped, but best of luck

Kersten

www.notautism.org

#53 of 57 Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM

My son has CF (he is 8 and misdiagnosed with ASD-HF)...because of his treatment for this (antiviral, antifungal, and select SSRI's) we were unable to continue LDA shots because for the three critical days you cannot take any meds, and after a consult with Dr. Schrader himself, he said we had to choose LDA or the CFS protocal with our famous doc in California.  We did do LDA three times, and I do think they helped....I wish I could've done longer.  Perhaps someday.  LDA actually made my kiddo allergic to the fillers in his meds so it has been sort of an expensive lesson learned as know we have to get those meds mentioned above compounded.

Don't know if this helped, but best of luck

Kersten

www.notautism.org

#54 of 57 Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM

I stopped LDA shots because I became severely anemic. Probably because of the extreme diet. My itching initially slowed down but came back. I started taking iron because of the anemia. After I started taking iron the itching stopped. I think I was anemic all along. I had iron deficient peritus. All that money for nothing! LDA IS A RIP OFF,
#55 of 57 Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Don't do it!
#56 of 57 Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM

is there a doctor  in the richmond, virginia area or nearby who  practices LDA therapy - i'm dying for help- cant eat anything w/o an allergic reaction

#57 of 57 Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM

Here is a link to a list of U.S. doctors who do LDA:

http://www.drshrader.com/lda_physicians.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page