LDA (low dose allergen) treatment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anybody done LDA treatment and what have the results been like?

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 04:24 AM

I'd like to bring this post back to life, as I'm considering LDA for my son w/eczema and lots of food allergies and for myself for IBD....has anyone tried it?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Ah. Did you see the good doc then? He's so cool. I VERY seriously considered this for me and T, and will likely do it in the future if we run into new problems. My concern is the rigidity of the diet, and whether those foods are safe for us, and whether not being able to rotate is a good idea.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 10-24-2009, 02:24 PM

Lisa-
We did see him yesterday, and I quite liked him although he's quite confident. But when you're desperate for help, I guess the confidence is reassuring. I think we may do LDA (both Sam and I)....he has prescribed Diflucan and Nystatin for Sam and I'm having reservations about giving it to him, but am hopeful it could help....I may call to chat.
Emily
Old 10-24-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Ah. Did you see the good doc then? He's so cool. I VERY seriously considered this for me and T, and will likely do it in the future if we run into new problems. My concern is the rigidity of the diet, and whether those foods are safe for us, and whether not being able to rotate is a good idea.
is that the hot doctor?
my allergist does lda for some of his patients but i believe it's primarily for ige reactions, isn't it?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-24-2009, 05:31 PM

(wink) that's the one. No, LDA doesn't seem to be for just IgE. It has a rather wide swath of conditions that it treats. Very interesting stuff and worth looking into.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 10-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
(wink) that's the one. No, LDA doesn't seem to be for just IgE. It has a rather wide swath of conditions that it treats. Very interesting stuff and worth looking into.
Huh. Good to know. I never asked him about it very much but the little bit I read about it was saying that it treats IgE reactions by inducing IgG antibodies instead. Sounds like I need to do more research. Thanks!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It doesn't make sense to me for intolerances, at least not with my kids, because they can get the tiniest microscopic contamination from something and react. I can't see making them react all the time. I don't see how that would help.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 AM

Bumping this thread.... I just found out the environmental medicine guy (also a DAN! doc) that we just started seeing does LDA. We're working on gut healing stuff right now, but he suggested that we might try that or neutralization therapy in the future.

So no one around here has actually done this? I'm so curious if it actually works....

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's supposed to work like an allergy shot for environmental allergies, right? I had allergy shots for 5 years for mold allergies. When I got done with the 5 years, I had no reaction to molds according to the SPT. It lasted for 6 years. I got the mold allergy back mildly last year. And horrible this year. Not sure how long it's supposed to last.... but not forever, apparently. Though even a few years would be good for you guys!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM

CS- both caribousam and franklin907 did it through our awesome local doc. i don't think either one gets online here much, but you should message them to talk about it. caribousam had REALLY good luck with it for her and her baby.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
CS- both caribousam and franklin907 did it through our awesome local doc. i don't think either one gets online here much, but you should message them to talk about it. caribousam had REALLY good luck with it for her and her baby.
Cool- thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

We have now done three LDA shots and our next one is in a couple weeks. Our experience thus far has been positive; however, we did hope for more success than we've had. Our son's eczema is still a daily issue, but not nearly what it was six months ago. He was covered head to toe and had very thick raised patches on his legs and the bottoms of his feet, those are all gone. His hands and feet were always cracked open and that is also gone. Prior to starting LDA, we did 1 month of nystatin and diflucan, he's still on both meds. Treating him for yeast overgrowth has been HUGE! So, I do believe that our improvement is not only from LDA, but it's definitely a contributing factor. Also, yeast does interfere with the treatment and I think our son's yeast was so out of control that it may have at least affected the first shot, but maybe the second as well. We just recently have been able to feed him fruit again, up until about a month ago, if he ate any kind of fruit, he'd wake up with major flakey, dry skin.

So, how the LDA works is you get one shot for foods and one shot for environmental that has about 300 different things it in at an extremely low dose, much, much lower than what's in an allergy shot, and you're teaching your body not to react it. Basically, retraining your immune system. My son has gotten just a half dose of the food shot, this is typically effective for most people, but we're probably going to go the full dose next time. We're also probably going to start our second son, who is 7.5 months, on it this next time. He doesn't have eczema, but he does have abnormal looking poops and spits a fare share, so it's kind of preemptive. It's also supposed to be more effective on babies and children, because their immune systems are developing.

The diet is challenging, but it is for 3 days, and this will probably sound awful, but all our son eats during that time are lamb burgers, cooked with plain sea salt and filtered water. He can't have any supplements at the time or lotion. He does just fine with it, though.

I talked to someone before we started this who has been doing it for both her daughters and she swears by it. They are located in Washington state, if anyone is interested, there is doctor there that does LDA. But we met her when she was up here visiting and they had been doing it for over a year and couldn't say enough good things about it. We do think we are on the right track and there's other patients in the Wasilla area that have really seen great success with it. So, the only negative, in my opinion, is the price. I can't really complain, though, because insurance doesn't cover it and so most people pay out of pocket, but out doc splits the price in half (half visit, half shot) so that some of it is covered. It is something long-term, that you may have to get once year to maintain its effectiveness, it's a case by case basis.

If anyone has any other questions, let me know. I'll update after our next shot, too. We're headed to Hawaii after the shot for a few weeks so, I'm hoping that helps out, too. I really think the last piece to our eczema puzzle is an overgrowth of bacteria (staph specifically) on his skin and we need some saltwater, heat, and sun to clear it up, so we'll find out soon if that theory is right or not....it's always a guessing game....Breanna

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah- one thing that I was wondering is if it actually works, or if it's concurrent treatments that are doing the job. Like this doc says treatments can take 3-18 months, but he also promotes guy healing measures at the same time. So I can see how it would be hard to tell which one is helping.

Too bad that your insurance won't cover it. I'll have to check with ours. Have fun in Hawaii!

Oh- and I'm curious about the diet. What's the goal of the 3 days of lamb? Is it just to get everything else out of his system? And why lamb? And out of curiosity- do you notice any difference in symptoms during those 3 days?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

The insurance part is nationwide, it's not an FDA approved treatment, so insurance won't cover any and unless the doctor changes the costs of the procedure (ie: half visit, half shot) it's all out of pocket ....

It is hard to tell what's really working, but at least the doc supports gut healing that seems so hard to find!

There's a very strict diet that you have to follow the day before, day of, and day after LDA, and lamb is about the only he tolerates on the diet. Has he given you a book on it, yet? The diet/foods are listed out in it, you should ask him for it, it's more of a pamphlet, but if you haven't gotten, yet, there's useful info in it!

Good luck

Old 02-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Interesting. I wonder what role the special diet plays in how the shots work?

The doc just kind of mentioned it in passing- didn't give me any info. If we do it at all, it seems like it will be a while in the future- after we get DD's bacterial overgrowth taken care of.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add, the three weeks after the LDA shot you do have to avoid any foods that you know you're allergic/react to. During this time, there may also be the 'unmasking' of allergies, where foods you thought were okay for you prior to the shot aren't okay anymore. These are foods that you were already allergic to, but as a result of the shot, the reaction is obvious. We saw this with my son with both apples and avocados with the first shot. That was about six months ago and since then we recently got apples back, but have not tried avocados again yet. We're actually at a point where we feel like we have a lot of foods to try, but we're trying to be very careful about introducing one at a time, so we know what's not okay, but like we talked about before, it's so hard to know exactly why this is happening, or if it's the combo of everything......changingseasons, is it Dr. Ranheim (?) that you're seeing? I just realized you're in Washington and that is the doctor I was talking about before that another family was taking their children to for LDA with great success!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM

Yep- Dr. Ranheim! Very cool.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM

We're doing this with my 4 yo dd. She's had 2 shots so far, we're just doing the food one. They also have one for chemicals and environmental allergies. We've been doing gut healing since September and were still unable to add any foods back after 6 months. Many of dd's IgG's are mild on the test. But after these 2 shots we have added back 3 foods which is huge for us! We keep adding one a week and it's been going great so far. I would trust your instincts on it. I've had very strong intuition telling me to do it even though I was worried about shots in general at first. Here's a link to the pink book that explains the diet etc:
http://www.elephantinformation.com/p...20page%201.htm

Dd can have enough of the foods allowed during the 3 days that it's been fine. Now we're just trying to come up with the money to start them for dd2 I'll try to remember to update later about our experience too.

:::
Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

linguistmama, are you guys doing a half-dose or full-dose of the food shot? We're doing a half-dose right now, but his next shot is in a week and I think we're going to move up to the full-dose. We just started getting foods back after his third shot, it's so exciting! I really feel like we're doing the right thing by doing LDA. I know what you mean about the $, though, we're starting DS2 next week and it's going to be spendy! I would love to start it for myself, too, but we can't right now.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM

We're still at the half dose. I think the next one or the one after we do the full dose. It's nice to be able to talk to other people about this since the epd yahoo group is pretty quiet.
I'm hoping the doctor will let us just go in to the nurse to give the shots so we don't have to pay his fee on top of everything else. We just see him for the shots now since we seem to have exhausted his knowledge in other areas that we need help with.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM

So, wow, dd has gotten back coconut and cantaloupe too! If we can get soy back then she'll have all of the foods back that she is mildy IgG too That would mean we would only have to cut out yeast, gluten, eggs and dairy. I'm about to fall over with relief. We'll have to find the money for dd2 somehow because it's working so well. At this rate we might get gluten back in less than a year (don't push it mommy!).

Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Wow- that's exciting. Did she have obvious symptoms to those triggers before? Is it really easy to see the progress you're making?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah, she had violent tantums, pee and poop misses and vestibular sensory seeking. When we cut out the allergens it all went away and we did gut healing, but she would still have those reactions if she ate an allergen.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Yeah, she had violent tantums, pee and poop misses and vestibular sensory seeking. When we cut out the allergens it all went away and we did gut healing, but she would still have those reactions if she ate an allergen.
Wow, wow, wow. So how long/how many doses did it take to get to that point?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM

We've done 2 shots so far 2 months apart. I waited a few weeks after the second shot and started trialing when I got a gut feeling to. So about 10 weeks. The doctor said not to trial until after the 3rd shot, but I went with my gut I SO hope you can find what works for you and you dd!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

We got coconut back, too, and black beans. That was after the third shot, we did the fourth shot a few weeks ago. We didn't move up to the full dose, but we moved up from the dose we were doing to a larger dose, but still smaller than the full dose. Does that make any sense? We also started DS2 on the shots, no differences with him, but he wasn't showing any signs of allergies, we are doing it, still, to avoid them if we can. We are going to trial soy in the next couple days. We just got back from a 3-week vacation in Hawaii and so we were outside a lot and the grass was not bothering DS1, another good sign of LDA. Last summer, we had to stay inside all the time, it was miserable! We really think the LDA has been helping environmental allergens and asthma. DS1 does not have asthma, but used to cough a lot and there was one time I was concerned about asthma. We do carry an albuterol inhaler, but have had no instances since starting LDA. Unfortunately, the eczema is still our big struggle, but I know with LDA, it can awhile to respond to treatment, even up to 6 shots, so I still think we're on the right track and it's great to hear, linguistmama, that you're having great success with it!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Franklin, that's awesome! My second dd will start the shots in a couple weeks along with the oldest. I'm thinking about a soy trial soon too so that my oldest could take the nordic naturals cod liver oil. She hates the fermented stuff.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say that we had our 5th shot last Monday and wow! two days after, DS1 skin was so soft and smooth and that was going three days without a bath or lotion! It was the first time I knew for sure it was because of the LDA, we hadn't had a day as good as last wednesday in so long (year+). He got a little flared thursday and friday, but still minimal. Then friday night he got the flu so now that it's running its course through all of us, we're hopeful he clears up again. He always gets flared when he's sick, but I do have to say, overall, he still is significantly clearer than before this last shot. So, just wanted to try and keep everyone updated on the success we're having with LDA! I'm excited, we've been waiting for a shot with this kind of effect!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Hooray!

We still haven't done a yeast or soy trial yet. My oldest has actually gotten sick several times which almost never happened before. I think for her it might mean she's becoming healthier. DD1 got her first shot and can now eat carrots and peas without getting a rash This week we're gearing up to do a yeast trial with my oldest. If it passes we'll have more 'bread' options

User Tag List