Grain Free Meals Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 150 Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope that you can find some that work- it is gf/cf and possibly sf- I have recipes for soy sauce and other soy substitutes.

I would like to work on more seasonal menus, but right now I am just trying to get food on the table. I do some seasonal veggies, but also a lot of the cheap veggies. the nuts are generally used more if you want to do grainfree baking- there is also coconut flour for baking as well but I've yet to see any recipes for it that are egg free if that is a concern. I have been making some rocking blueberry muffins w/ coconut flour from Elana's Pantry's site I load them up w/ some frozen blueberries I got at a u-pick and they are delectable- as good as wheat or any other grain and as always it is one of Elana's recipe so super easy.

We had easy peasy last night- roast chicken and potatoes(w/ chives- sea salt- and fake parmesan- nut- yeast- and some sesame seeds I think) w/ some fresh cucumber and tomatoes. It was supposed to be chicken chili but we just had chili so I wasn't in the mood- didn't plan that well! Night before was the chili from Alton Brown modified a little bit- it was very tasty although some kick to it- it had chipolte peppers.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#122 of 150 Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 PM

We're coconut and egg free as well, so that wouldn't work out too well for us. However, having just glanced through your recipe collection there are a few recipes which will work for us (and they're the ones in which I'm most interested too! Legumes/pulses and seafood/fish- I need to add more of these to my menu when I "expand" it again.
I completely understand about just trying to get food on the table. That's how my menu started out (and what it really is... just an easier way for me to get food on the table). I figured, when I was starting out, that 3 weeks was enough to rotate through so we wouldn't get bored. I've since expanded to 5 weeks and added lunch and breakfast, though breakfast is really boring and VERY grain based. Right now, I'm working on a "master shopping list" for each week rather than expanding, as well as trying to work as much nutritional "punch" into each meal as I can, iykwim. So I'm modifying the present meals somewhat.
Sorry to hijack the thread. So excited to have someone to talk to this about. It helps to think things through. There's a meal planning forum, isn't there? I should probably go over there.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#123 of 150 Old 08-19-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Wow... that's awesome!!! http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU...aHdwN2hz&hl=en

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#124 of 150 Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
We're coconut and egg free as well, so that wouldn't work out too well for us. However, having just glanced through your recipe collection there are a few recipes which will work for us (and they're the ones in which I'm most interested too! Legumes/pulses and seafood/fish- I need to add more of these to my menu when I "expand" it again.
I completely understand about just trying to get food on the table. That's how my menu started out (and what it really is... just an easier way for me to get food on the table). I figured, when I was starting out, that 3 weeks was enough to rotate through so we wouldn't get bored. I've since expanded to 5 weeks and added lunch and breakfast, though breakfast is really boring and VERY grain based. Right now, I'm working on a "master shopping list" for each week rather than expanding, as well as trying to work as much nutritional "punch" into each meal as I can, iykwim. So I'm modifying the present meals somewhat.
Sorry to hijack the thread. So excited to have someone to talk to this about. It helps to think things through. There's a meal planning forum, isn't there? I should probably go over there.
Breakfast is sporadic here- I do use a lot of eggs and a lot of meat- veggies- smoothies- sometimes waffles or muffins but that is not the usual although I did make those awesome blueberry muffins 2 days in a row (I am pregnant and allowed some cravings - huh?- like right now I am thinking I would like another batch!) I have done eggfree and grainfree- with just the smoothies and meat/veggie mix and creative leftovers. I need a shopping list myself! Espcially before #3 arrives! Breakfast is not usually planned though.

You'll notice not all the recipes are grainfree- most of them are easily made that way though- rice and noodles are so easy to substitute. I did include some basic bread recipes and such though although it is not usually my thing to bake- but lots of grainfree baking recipes as well.

Lunch is not usually planned either- sometimes leftovers. I try to do liver once a week- tuna salad or salmon patties 1x a week- some hormel natural choice lunchmeat 1x a week- leftovers w/ dh(we visit him for lunch) 1 x a week and then I don't know what else but we survive somehow! During the winter I will often do a lot of quick veggie soups but not so much in the summer- salad is on the menu for lunch sometimes as the kids love it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#125 of 150 Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to put an egg in our pie crust today, so its crumbly, but too delicious. And I made too much. Oops.

3 cups of cashew-walnut-brazilnut flour and 3 cups of shredded coconut.
1 cup of oil and 4 TB agave and 1 tsp salt. Sprinkled cinnamon on top. Wow.

Pizza sauce is stewing... I'm off to trial a grain free pizza crust. Hope its good...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#126 of 150 Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 PM

Let me know your pizza crust adventure- I have only made one so far and it was ok but not great.

I haven't made a crust in forever-mmmm- yummy! I have a pb pie recipe that sounds scrumptious= I have been wanting to try. I am out of all milk subs right now though- should be getting some this week though as a friend was picking me some up from the big city

I have done pretty well on the grain front, but too much sugar and not enough protein. I made this totally awesome cocnut flour blueberry muffin recipe sweetened w/ honey last week it was soooooo good! I think I made it 3 days in a row! Definitely too much sugar!!!

Tonight was meatloaf- vegan scalloped potatoes and green beans- I meant to do some baked sweet potatoes for me but forgot to put them in the oven- doh- I made the Alton Brown recipe- although didn't use the regular bread. I did actually use some gf oats for that part. I am having difficulty here because Luke is reacting to the salicylates and I dont' have a grinder to make flour myself out of other nuts AND my food processor keeps going out. Anyway- it was a small amount about 1/2 c spread over 2 meatloaves. The flavor was very good- had a kick to it and the consistency was just right. Last time I did meatloaf I had done flax meal for my binder and it just didn't turn out good at all- I need to work on that some more because sometimes I can make it grainfree and it is just fine, but others- not so good. Tonight I couldn't risk it as I cook for our priests 2 Sundays a month and this is my Sunday.

#127 of 150 Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mmmm, meatloaf. I do grieve oats.

I caved on the pizza crust and used a Chebe mix. It'll probably be good for us when that complimentary case of mixes is all.gone. Oooh, I think I'll donate some to the gluten free girl who is buying a bunch of my grains and starches tomorrow. Excellent.

#128 of 150 Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 AM

Well- now I have to do some more pizza crust experiementing I guess

The meatloaf was delicious but I am still trying to figure out a low salicylate grain free option! As I said I don't need much in there. I guess I need to make some grainfree bread and freeze it huh? doh-

Oh- I seen on the healthy indulgences site she has a grainfree wrap recipe up now- well the wrap has 1 T of oat flour- so I think that could likely be replaced since it is such a small amount. Also- a chocolate zuccini cake labeled as grainfree but it does have a small amount of buckwheat- which technically is a flower but is not considered grainfree by the paleo crowd. I think I am going to try and make it today as I have a ton of zuccini I desperately need to use and see what substitutions I can make.

Today is roasted chicken and corn chowder soup. I will be sneaking lots of extra veggies in as well. Here is the rest of the menu plan:

Sunday Meatloaf- Potatoes/ Scalloped Potatoes- green beans

Monday Roasted Chicken and Corn Chowder

Tuesday Hungarian Chicken w/ Sweet Potatoes- - Squash- Black Beans and Salad

Wednesday Curried Lentils rice(dh loves basmati) and steamed "riced" cauliflower

Thursday Aoreazan Spiced Beef Stew- Crockpot

Friday Coconut Shrimp- side dishes ???

Saturday -

Oh, Friday I made the fish sticks w/ almond meal they were sooooo yummmy!!! I said to dh these taste like "real" fish sticks- he said no these are way better- I hate regular fish sticks!!! Dh and the kids had homemade fries and I had copious amts of homemade coleslaw. Only problem was it wired ds because of the almonds- sigh!! I have got to figure out a solution to that! He does better w/ the grain gf options because of the salicylates and I do better grainfree. I have to find a way to do both! I really- really need a grinder!!!

#129 of 150 Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 PM

So what about Phosphorus?

We have greatly reduced our grain eating. We don't eat many nuts, except for sunflower seeds. We don't do dairy.

My 6 year old has an active cavity that I am working really hard on healing. I know i need to get more phosphorus into him for healing.

What is phosphorus in? I see legumes, nuts, grains, dairy, and meat.

Are any of you concerned about not getting enough?

I think I need to sit down and count up how much he is getting.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#130 of 150 Old 08-28-2009, 11:46 AM

:

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#131 of 150 Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

IDK about phosphorus in particular... I just try to focus on getting anything into my child at this point... whatever she'll eat that's safe for her.

Last night she wanted pancakes so pancakes it was (at 9 pm). 1/4 cup walnut butter, a large egg, and a big dollop of goat milk. Man, it was delicious too, she really wolfed it down. I suppose the maple syrup was a good addition...

#132 of 150 Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wanted to update the thread, mainly as thanks for everyone who contributed, it's been good support, getting me started and keeping us going.

DH is grain-free (plus no dairy for any of us), consistently, for a few weeks now, after starting/stopping, being low-grain for quite a while. I don't know if it's the no-grain or the lower carb (since I guess it was a few weeks ago that we talked and decided lower carb/no grain was something to try for him) and he's lost a solid 8 pounds. He's thrilled to get on the scale and see it go down every day, and he's starting to feel better, a bit more energetic.

I know part of the more-energy thing is the weather, we finally had summer end (hot, humid, really nasty when you are already feeling bad) and that's been a great boost too, but I think the food is a significant part of it.

I'm starting to look into TCM more, and foods that balance each other, and fit that into the lower carb world (it's not really low carb, in the sense of 50 or 80 g of carb per day, just by consciously choosing foods, I think he's more in the 120 g +/- range, which for a guy who should weigh 200 lbs, seems not drastic, but lower/reasonable). Since meats (land animals) are pretty much grouped together (among the 5 categories that are supposed to balance each other), I want a plan that includes things from other categories, and lots of other stuff. I think stuff like nettles infusions and mint tea are helpful in that regard... may start a thread on TCM and weak spleen Qi, it's the TCM description of digestive weakness, and maybe also weak kidney yin, which encompasses adrenal fatigue. Those two seem like big overlaps for many of us here, and maybe it'll be an interesting discussion.

Some of the discussion at wholehealthsource.blogspot.com and the insulin resistance/lectin discussions made me think that's what may work for him, we'll see how it goes, so far, yay!

It is SO nice for him to finally be seeing improvement (2 years after drastic diet/lifestyle changes for all of us). As for me, I'm eating too much of the stuff I want to eat (sweet/carby things) but I'm not sure I'm willing to put in more effort at the moment. Making progress with the kids (which is good, but work), making progress for DH (which is extra cooking, it takes a ton of chopping veggies when there's no starchy-stuff to fill up on--preaching to the choir here, I know), so I want to delay making more changes.

Anyway, thanks everyone.
#133 of 150 Old 10-25-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Tanya, that is awesome. Thanks for updating us on PROGRESS!~!!!

We're continuing on our mission, though we've completed a couple of short corn trials to understand if its still a reactor for my child... which its NOT!

We've had a little rice here and there, but otherwise we're pretty settled in. The only grain left on our homestead is for the livestock (except for my husbands stash of granola).

Yep, I've been eating more potatoes/sweet potatoes lately, but its all good.

I got the Eat Well Feel Well cookbook in the mail yesterday, so I'm looking forward to perusing it for some new inspiration...

#134 of 150 Old 10-25-2009, 06:22 PM

Thanks for bumping this! I'm excited to read through all these ideas!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#135 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So remind me why/how I shouldn't be going insane with the amount of chopping and cooking? I'm feeling a bit frustrated that my kitchen always looks like dirty dishes have exploded all over it. I know I just need to do more, in a more timely fashion, but argh. Frustrating. And it's hard to motivate myself to do more/new/interesting stuff with the kids when I feel like I always have a huge to-do list, just for daily maintenance around here. If you saw how messy the house is at the moment, you'd be thinking Huh? She thinks she cleans? But it's the un-done to-do list problem.
#136 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 PM

I hear you, especially now at the end of pregnancy I find myself lacking the energy and motivation. I had dh buy some frozen chopped veggies and this am I made a HUGE thing of fruit salad to have around. My kitchen is a slight wreck right now as well. It is ok if I stay on top of it, but it has to be constant upkeep or I fall behind w/ the cooking and cleaning. I am trying to work on having more quick food around, but it takes some planning.

#137 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 04:00 PM

Yep, I hear you both. I'm thinking of investing in a food processor until I can manage to get my hands on the Family Grain Mill.*

ETA: I should specify for it's shredder and slicer.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#138 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 PM

joining the club.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#139 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 PM

would be the "I want a personal cooking assistant club" Tonight would be lazy grain free night here- roast chicken- baked sweet potatoes(I just throw them whole into the oven while the chicken is cooking) and probably some home canned green beans and a little salad.

#140 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Sorry for serial posting- just read the Robb Wolf article it is a wonderful anti-grain piece. If you want motivation it is very good. Goes into the science behind it all- fairly in depth- but not so much as others. I think you ladies here will enjoy the read.
Yeah. Me and my big dumb mouth booked him and now I gotta put my money where my mouth is. Sigh. He's definitely worth seeing and I'm hoping he'll get me back on track. SO I'm getting back into the club too. Still doing well but missing the energy that grain free gave me.
#141 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Yeah. Me and my big dumb mouth booked him and now I gotta put my money where my mouth is. Sigh. He's definitely worth seeing and I'm hoping he'll get me back on track. SO I'm getting back into the club too. Still doing well but missing hte energy that grain few gave me.
Oh, is he coming to your gym? I bet he will definitely get you back on track and motivated. I am so wanting to try some new recipes as well- that always excites me- I have some good rawfood supplies coming friday through the co-op so that will help.

#142 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM

indeed. we have a lot of people who are ready to kick it up a notch. This will be excellent. Back in the day when CF was all "Zone" Robb was the only one talking sense. Now Mark Sisson is out there too (though he's branched off as well.) Since dh has been officially dx with celiac he is FAR more accepting. And it doesn't help that he's a good guy. Now, with any luck it will get me back on track.

And holy typos in that last thread batman! Off to correct...
#143 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM

I am adding to my rotation of meal plans, slowly but surely. My main hold outs are still a little rice and buckwheat for pancakes. Dd LOVES pancakes and w/o eggs I just don't see a way to make them grain free.
Anyway, this was Saturday's lovely lovely autumn meal:

Sausage stuffed Acorn squash

Bake acorn squash halves until almost done. Then stuff w/sauteed celery, carrots, bell pepper, onions with bulk breakfast sausage. Added some dried cranberries. If you can do eggs, I'm sure that would help hold it together, ours was just crumbly. Bake till nice and warm.
Ate this w/steamed brussels sprouts, sauteed in bacon grease.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#144 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Oh, I haven't made a baked squash in forever!!! That sounds so yummy- I know before I had a recipe I had got out of the LLL cookbook that was similiar to that and actually I believe it had some pureed bananas in it as well and some nuts.

I don't have any grainfree and eggfree pancake ideas sadly. I don't seem to tolerate them the best, but once a week or so it doesn't seem to affect me and the kids don't seem affected at all.

PB - You will have to give us a rundown when Rob comes to talk and motivate us all. I am interested in the fitness motivation as well especially as every week I am getting slower and slower and slower- I hope that I can get back into the swing of everything well after this baby is born- just a few weeks to go!

#145 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 PM

we used to make grain free pancakes with flax goo instead of egg. I didn't love using the goo, but it did work. The pancakes weren't as fluffy though. Might be an avenue to experiment!

Sigh. I'm hoping to get re-motivated before then! We'll see!
#146 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
we used to make grain free pancakes with flax goo instead of egg. I didn't love using the goo, but it did work. The pancakes weren't as fluffy though. Might be an avenue to experiment!

Sigh. I'm hoping to get re-motivated before then! We'll see!
Oh, I'll have to try that! I am going to experiment w/chia goo, too! Dd doesn't care if it's fluffy, she justs loves pancakes. Just need something to hold them together....

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#147 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 PM

oooo, I vote chia over flax. I never tried it but I would MUCH prefer that.
#148 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU...Mm42emRw&hl=en

this is the recipe compilation- all the things I have been bookmarking for the last year- I tried to give credit to the source beside the recipe. Those w/out acknowledgements are mine- I am working on adding more of my own recipes- but have to work on actually measuring instead of winging it They are gf/cf naturally or w/ modifications. Can all be soy free as well as I have recipes on the bottom for soy sauce, hoisin sauce, even worchesthire and tons of other things. I need to work on my donut recipe again but as of now I just have a few different ones on there- It is 90 pages total- oh and the index is not complete but I am working on it. Lots of grain free meals in there but not all.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU...aHdwN2hz&hl=en
This is AWESOME!!! I'm thrilled to have found it!! Thank you for sharing!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#149 of 150 Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Just a note as a reminder they are not all grain free- but I do a lot of grainfree subs though- I think I had them on the original menu as to what to sub, but not sure if it is all there or not.

#150 of 150 Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Bumping for Auntie_Aya

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page