Vomiting from food allergies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (3 yrs old) has been vomiting over the past few days and I'm not really sure why. She has no other symptoms, no fever or anything. She seems fine after she throws up. It happens randomly.

We found out she has a dairy allergy maybe six months ago or so and stopped all dairy. If she ever has any, depending on the amount, she may vomit or have gas, stomach pain, etc.

A couple of days ago she had a slice of a chocolate orange and threw up about four times within a few hours. That usually isn't typical for such a small amount of dairy but I figured that was the reason, as there weren't any other symptoms. The next day at a BBQ she ate some Cool Whip and threw up once on the ride home. She just threw up again today, although she's had no dairy today.

I'm wondering if there could be something else going on or if she's working the dairy out of her system again? We were doing really well keeping it away from her for awhile but it's in everything and seems hard to keep out of her mouth, especially while at other people's houses.

We're moving in a few days (from Hawaii to Texas), all our stuff is already packed and gone, our plane leaves Thursday. I'm wondering if I should take her in to see a doctor or if this is just related to her allergy. I haven't taken her in yet because, like I said, there were no other symptoms and she's able to keep food/liquids down just fine (other than the random times she's throwing up). I'd rather avoid taking her in, for many reasons, if it's not necessary (the last time I did this, it was a HORRIBLE experience all around, just to find out there was nothing they could do for us).

Any advice??
#2 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Typically when you take an allergen out of the diet, they become more sensitive to it for a while. I definitely think that small amount of dairy could have caused the vomiting.

I'm sorry for your lo. Is everyone aware of her allergies (friends and family), so they know not to feed her foods she shouldn't have? As far as the doctor, there isn't anything they can do except give you and epipen, which I think you should get, especially with her high level of sensitivity (and assuming it's an IgE allergy).

ETA: I don't know that you need to go to the doctor before leaving, but I'd go asap after you get to your destination and be absolutely strict on what she eats.
#3 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM

This happens to my daughter when she gets exposed to dairy accidentally.

I work very hard to keep others from feeding DD ANYTHING that might potentially contain dairy (or eggs, blueberries, oranges). When we go to a picnic or party I bring food for her so I know that no matter what she'll be fed and I don't have to worry about hidden dairy ingredients or contamination.

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#4 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 02:19 PM

My son throws up to dairy, and to my milk if I've had dairy. The vomiting is pretty much immediate, however, not hours later.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM

My daughter used to throw up four hours after eating anything with even a little egg in it. Over time, it's worked its way down to two hours after eating even a little egg (we've noted this at failed challenges). My daughter will have diarrhea and rash as well (on her hiney) which shows up usually the next day.

I suspect your dd is reacting to the dairy she's eaten.

Have you contacted the airline and told them that your dd will require dairy-free snacks or meals while you're flying? They will do this for free (and the food is often better than whatever they serve everyone else).

You may also be able to bring extra snacks for your dd if you have a note from your doctor (they should be able to fax one to you)? That way you don't have to worry about what she'll eat if you're stuck for awhile....

HTH

Not all who wander are lost.
#6 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 PM

throwing up is common with a food allergy. i use to throw up from chocolate until i was about 13 or 14... i would occationally get hives too. now i get headaches and i just don't feel 'right'. i think when you take the food out of your diet for a while and re-introduce it, you have a stronger reaction. i have had chocolate 2 times this year and both times i felt horrible and didn't want to get out of bed.
#7 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Typically when you take an allergen out of the diet, they become more sensitive to it for a while. I definitely think that small amount of dairy could have caused the vomiting.

I'm sorry for your lo. Is everyone aware of her allergies (friends and family), so they know not to feed her foods she shouldn't have? As far as the doctor, there isn't anything they can do except give you and epipen, which I think you should get, especially with her high level of sensitivity (and assuming it's an IgE allergy).

ETA: I don't know that you need to go to the doctor before leaving, but I'd go asap after you get to your destination and be absolutely strict on what she eats.
What's an IgE allergy?

And yeah, everyone knows about it. We did go out before the BBQ and buy our own food (we're vegetarians also, so that was necessary anyway). She must have got into another kid's plate. My friend's five year old actually came and alerted me, so even our friends' KIDS know what she should and shouldn't have and won't give her anything without asking me first. But still, sometimes someone will give her something without checking packaging, just without thinking I suppose.

A little OT, but it seems like some people get confused about her not being able to have dairy. I don't get it. We left her with a friend to babysit awhile ago and explicitly told them to check anything and everything for dairy before she eats it, we fed her before we got there and she was pretty much going to be sleeping the whole time at their house. Well later my friend's wife said that DD was pointing to some Ritz crackers telling her that they will hurt her tummy (that's the best way I could think to explain it to a then 2 yr old) and she was confused. I didn't get what was confusing about it, read the label! I guess reading labels is foreign to some people, and over the last few years it has become second nature to me.
#8 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Cool Whip is diary-free, isn't it? Maybe something else at the BBQ?
#9 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
No, I checked the tub. It said it contained milk.
#10 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM

IgE is the type of allergy that regular allergists test for. It's the kind that responds to antihistamines and epinephrin (epipen). It's the one that can cause anaphylactic shock also.
#11 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
IgE is the type of allergy that regular allergists test for. It's the kind that responds to antihistamines and epinephrin (epipen). It's the one that can cause anaphylactic shock also.
Oh okay. I don't think it's that serious, because before we took her off dairy we never had problems like this. She was tolerating it well in the sense that she did not go into shock or vomit every time she had dairy, but she was having severe sleep issues, to the point I was wondering if she was having night terrors. So I think it's more of an intolerance or sensitivity rather than a true allergy.
#12 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
To be specific, it contains a milk derivative- some kind of caseinate. I can't recall exactly what atm (possibly sodium caseinate) but it's there.

I never would have thought DS1's allergy to milk was a "true" allergy either until I was told it was and then put pieces together in hindsight.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#13 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
Oh okay. I don't think it's that serious, because before we took her off dairy we never had problems like this. She was tolerating it well in the sense that she did not go into shock or vomit every time she had dairy, but she was having severe sleep issues, to the point I was wondering if she was having night terrors. So I think it's more of an intolerance or sensitivity rather than a true allergy.
See an allergist. Her allergy may be getting worse. Vomiting is serious. You need to be prepared with an action plan for the next reaction. You may also need an Epi-pen(jr.).

For more information about allergies check out FAAN and take a look at the signs of anaphylaxis. Be informed and vigilant.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#14 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
See an allergist. Her allergy may be getting worse. Vomiting is serious. You need to be prepared with an action plan for the next reaction. You may also need an Epi-pen(jr.).

For more information about allergies check out FAAN and take a look at the signs of anaphylaxis. Be informed and vigilant.
I'll be sure to do that when we get to Texas. Thanks!
#15 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
To be specific, it contains a milk derivative- some kind of caseinate. I can't recall exactly what atm (possibly sodium caseinate) but it's there.

I never would have thought DS1's allergy to milk was a "true" allergy either until I was told it was and then put pieces together in hindsight.
Yep, it contains sodium caseinate (a milk derivative).

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#16 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM

vomitting in the middle of the night seems to happen w/ Celiacs as well. Luke has had some vommiting like that and it stopped when going gf/df so I cannot nail down which really was the exact cause. A few months ago I had to leave him w/ my friend who I have told and explained many times about the food issues. however, that night he throw up in the middle of the night at her house. The next day she mentioned about cooking eggs in butter- ugh- so now I know it could have been from that dairy but of course I cannot be certain he didn't end up w/ some gluten x-con as well. So- now I am not certain what caused the vomitting.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#17 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM

When my DS was younger, his reaction to dairy was to vomit for 3 days after. So it could very well be the dairy that she's still reacting to. My DS's is an intolerance, not an allergy (he's been tested twice by an allergist, but we did this to rule it out). My DS has also changed symptoms after being off it a while. So he started out vomiting. Then when we "challenged" him to see if he'd outgrown it, he changed to waking up 10-12 times a night. The next time, it was night terrors. The next time it was growing pains. The last time he got something that was cross-contaminated it was immediate stomach pains, and screaming and writhing all night long. So yes, symptoms change and get worse.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#18 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
When my DS was younger, his reaction to dairy was to vomit for 3 days after. So it could very well be the dairy that she's still reacting to. My DS's is an intolerance, not an allergy (he's been tested twice by an allergist, but we did this to rule it out). My DS has also changed symptoms after being off it a while. So he started out vomiting. Then when we "challenged" him to see if he'd outgrown it, he changed to waking up 10-12 times a night. The next time, it was night terrors. The next time it was growing pains. The last time he got something that was cross-contaminated it was immediate stomach pains, and screaming and writhing all night long. So yes, symptoms change and get worse.
This sounds almost identical to our experience.

Thanks everyone, for your responses! It's really helping. I'd never considered taking her to an allergist before, but now it's definitely at the top of my "to do" list!
#19 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
This sounds almost identical to our experience.

Thanks everyone, for your responses! It's really helping. I'd never considered taking her to an allergist before, but now it's definitely at the top of my "to do" list!
My DS is 9yo and we've been doing this since his birth. We had him allergist tested at about 6 months, and again aroung 6 or 7 years old (he was tested for other things the second time, as well). He does have some seasonal allergies, though those have disappeared since getting him off his food triggers. We got ALCAT testing done last year to remove a lot more foods, and he's been doing much better. Is dairy the only food that bothers her?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#20 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
My DS is 9yo and we've been doing this since his birth. We had him allergist tested at about 6 months, and again aroung 6 or 7 years old (he was tested for other things the second time, as well). He does have some seasonal allergies, though those have disappeared since getting him off his food triggers. We got ALCAT testing done last year to remove a lot more foods, and he's been doing much better. Is dairy the only food that bothers her?
That's the only food I know for sure, I haven't noticed reactions to anything else. The only reason I suspected a dairy allergy was because she would projectile vomit as a newborn anytime I had dairy and I had to cut it out of my diet for about seven months. After that time, she didn't throw up when I had it, so I assumed we were fine (gah, I know!) and forgot about it for awhile. Then I posted here about some sleep issues we were having and someone suggest food allergies. I was like, "DUHH!!" it was so obvious then. After we cut out dairy, within days she started sleeping SO MUCH BETTER. It was like magic.

She's so freaking picky, I wouldn't even know where to begin with an elimination diet. We're nearly vegan as it is.
#21 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
That's the only food I know for sure, I haven't noticed reactions to anything else. The only reason I suspected a dairy allergy was because she would projectile vomit as a newborn anytime I had dairy and I had to cut it out of my diet for about seven months. After that time, she didn't throw up when I had it, so I assumed we were fine (gah, I know!) and forgot about it for awhile. Then I posted here about some sleep issues we were having and someone suggest food allergies. I was like, "DUHH!!" it was so obvious then. After we cut out dairy, within days she started sleeping SO MUCH BETTER. It was like magic.

She's so freaking picky, I wouldn't even know where to begin with an elimination diet. We're nearly vegan as it is.
If she's got no other symptoms, then milk may be all it is. I'd still get her allergy tested just to make sure it's not an allergy (sounds like an intolerance to me, but vomiting can be either). Also, my current theory is that I didn't do any "healing," only elimination, all the other times. So this time he's doing digestive enzymes, probiotics, bone broth, etc. And I'm hopeful.

#22 of 24 Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Right, my mom mentioned something to me about "healing". I'm pretty new to this stuff though, I didn't know what she was talking about. I mean, I get the idea but I'm gonna have to Google or something. Or check here.
#23 of 24 Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Angelamarie,

Your first step is to cut out dairy ENTIRELY. I know it sounds hard but BELIEVE ME, it could be A LOT worse.
I have the anaphylactic shock reaction to peanuts, tree-nuts and tofu or concentrated soy protein. I had the dairy allergy as a baby and child until I was about ten years old. My mom didn’t let me have it AT ALL until the allergist told her to reintroduce it in small amounts. If I can change my diet and still survive, you can, too. Yes, it won’t be easy, but you have answered your own questions and know the answer to the cause, so change the reaction.
There are many articles out there that talk of eliminating the food COMPLETELY if the child is found to be highly allergic. This is the only way to allow the child’s immune system to strengthen and run its course. She just may grow out of it like I did, but it will take time and lots of patience.
I created a website specifically focused on peanut-allergy, tree-nut allergy and soy-allergy.
www.mayashappyplace.com

I know my allergies are not the same, but go to my site and check out the links and the upcoming event for FAAN. You may want to get involved and meet other mothers like you so you can see what they do and know you are not alone.
Things to google to get all the info you need….dairy-free recipes, dairy-free foods, dairy allergy, anaphylaxis to dairy (to get very sensitive info) and ‘best allergist in (your state here)…..that’s basically what I did to get all the info I needed as well as the best doctor I’ve had in a very long time.
Someone in the thread also mentioned the children's Epi-pen. Definitely mention this to your doctor...its always a good idea to have this around in case you notice her breathing is affected. Allergy reactions can change completely....someone can have a pretty bad allergy to something and then the next reaction could be anaphylaxis...allergy is very temperamental like that. It's always better to be safe than sorry. I hope this has all helped and I wish you the best.

~Maya
#24 of 24 Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Right, my mom mentioned something to me about "healing". I'm pretty new to this stuff though, I didn't know what she was talking about. I mean, I get the idea but I'm gonna have to Google or something. Or check here.
Here is better than googling! WuWei is the queen of healing but synopsis is:
fermented foods (saurkraut, fermented pickles, etc.)
probiotics (capsules, yogurt, kefir)
bone broth (chicken 24-36 hours of simmering, beef 48 hours of simmering -- gets all the nutrients out of the bones and into the broth)
digestive enzymes help for some
omega 3s (we do salmon every 4 days)
we also do rotate most of their other foods, to keep from getting new intolerances.

go to www.dogtorj.net and read about food intolerances too. I'm of the opinion now that you have to avoid the big 4 (gluten, dairy, soy, corn) to get real healing because of what they do to the digestive system. My DD2 was off all 4 and she's been adding back foods. My DS was off dairy, soy, and gluten, but not corn, and he lost corn and some other foods as well. He's doing much better since going off corn, even though it never showed up on any intolerance test.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page