Isn't Zinc supposed to create more stomach acid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I failed the zinc test, so I am taking one tablespoon full of zinc sulphate a day for the past week. Since then I have been feeling horrible in terms of digestion. I know that I am deficient in stomach acids again. And the zinc makes me sooooooooooooo thirsty I could drink a gallon!

Before I started the zinc, I had been (and still am) taking 2000 iu of vit d every 2 days and 3000mg of vit c daily. I felt great. I even added egg back into my and ds diet.

Thinking back now... the salicylates in the vit c with rose hips was giving me a rash, so I cut back on the salicylates in my food to try and keep it under control. Maybe I didn't cut back enough. Hmmmm... wondering now if maybe the zinc has nothing to do with it.

I bought some ascorbal palmitate (fat soluble vit c) at WF yesterday. It has no salicylates. Only thing is it says to ask health professional before use if you are breastfeeding. So Im not sure if its okay to take.

So... it could be the zinc, OR a build up of salicylates that isn't enough to cause a rash, but IS enough to cause digestive problems. I don't have much experience with figuring these things out. Anyone have a clue?

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM

I don't think a week is enough time to make a big change in stomach acid due to the zinc.

I think the pregnant/breastfeeding warning is pretty standard, some brands seem to put it on everything, so personally I wouldn't worry. My long-term economical vitC choice is Now sodium ascorbate, I buy 3-pound containers online. I wouldn't think it would be high in sals, but we're not sal-sensitive so maybe I'm wrong on that.

I don't know what's really going on, a lot of the time I can only figure stuff out after the fact, sometimes a lot later. I wish you better detective skills than I!

One thing I'd say, other forms of zinc are more absorbable, maybe a zinc citrate or a zinc picolinate, and then save the liquid zinc sulfate to test periodically as you improve. What brand of zinc sulfate do you have? I want to get some liquid to test myself and the kids.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I hope your wish for good detective skills comes true! Since a week isn't long enough to change stomach acids, I'm thinking maybe it's something I am eating/ not eating that is affecting digestion... I cut alot of fruit out of my diet to lower my sal intake...

I'm pretty sure the sal content is much lower in ascorbate than the water soluble vit c, b/c the ascorbate doesn't have rose hips or bioflavinoids which become concentrated.

I use a zinc called "zinc status" - got it online at vitacost for 9.00, if I remember correctly. This one has no inactive ingredients (besides distilled water), which is why I ordered it. Ds has many allergies.

Thanks for the info on the zinc.. had no idea there were more absorbable forms. Now I will get onto finding an allergy free one for me and dh.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM

I'll go look at vitacost now, that would be cool, I get other stuff there already.

We use Thorne, there's a 15mg zinc picolinate and a 30mg double-strength zinc piclinate. I get my zinc from a multivit, but I use the Thorne for the kids, I think Thorne is a good brand. I buy from totalhealthvitamins.net, best prices I've found (which isn't a guarantee!).
Old 07-21-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'll go look at vitacost now, that would be cool, I get other stuff there already.

We use Thorne, there's a 15mg zinc picolinate and a 30mg double-strength zinc piclinate. I get my zinc from a multivit, but I use the Thorne for the kids, I think Thorne is a good brand. I buy from totalhealthvitamins.net, best prices I've found (which isn't a guarantee!).
I get most stuff from vitacost, but only b/c its easy (they have my cc number already). Thorne is a great brand. I used to take the multivitamin before I became pregnant with ds.

Maybe I'll try the totalhealthvitamins.. thanks for the info!

I tried the ascorbate today... mixed in water - which I found out was not a good idea - but I didn't want to waste it so I drank as much as I could get down. Learned something today about fat soluble powder mixes haha!!!

User Tag List