Mothering Forum banner

baby reacting in utero?

837 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Chinese Pistache 
#1 ·
I am curious if a baby can react to foods in utero. I ask because my first child has no allergies. She moved what I would consider an average amount when she was in utero. I am pg with my third and this child moves about as much as my first. Now, with my second child who has numerous food allergies the movement was out of control. At times it was just too much for me. She would move *all day long*. I was unable to get rest because she moved so much. It occurred to me the other day that perhaps she was reacting in utero. When she is reacting now she is very fidgety in her sleep and has major sleep disturbances.

Anyone have this experience or read something about this?

Beth

#2 ·
Yes! I believe a baby can react in utero. My ds#1 was crazy active in utero. He would kick and people could tell from across a social hall that he'd moved. A year after he was born my back still hurt from how hard he kicked. He also had the hiccups all the time.
As an infant, he screamed all the time. I held him tons, coslept, wore him, etc - it made no difference. There were times I'd have to put him in his crib (present from MIL) and go outside to breathe calmly - because the stress of him screaming was so bad. Once I had a babysitter (I worked) and my neighbor came from across the street to see if he was okay because of the screaming.
Anyway, I did an elimination diet - I was down to bread and water and he was no different. So I quit. Turns out... 10 years later... I found out he was allergic to the BREAD!!!!!. He's been gluten free, dairy free, preservaitive free, etc (there are so many to list) for 3 years now (13 yrs old). To make me feel worse, I vaccinated him (the pull of the medical world was too great - my FIL is a ped, my dad is a scientist) and he had reactions. Our ped told me that they were 'normal'. Ha. Not by a long shot.
Today we are working hard to undo all the damage that has been done. It has been a very, very difficult, tiring road uphill. You can not imagine how hard it has been dealing with him.
Why do I tell you all this? get your child help now. While he/she is young. If the mainstream allergist doesn't help - find someone who will. I jsut responded to another post about what we're doing.
For us the key was 100% avoidance + supplementation - we use megadoses of vitamins under a dr.'s care. He's still not okay. I pray that one day I'll have my baby back. We have seen positive change - although dh denies seeing it. There are glimpses of the real boy underneath the anger.
Think for yourself - don't let others cow you into believing their way or that your child doesn't have allergies if your gut tells you he does.
Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. I am getting help and my dd is doing fantastic. My post wasn't so much a cry for help, but just a "hey, anyone else notice this?" kind of post. I am glad that your dc is on the road to recovery now

#4 ·
My first two don't have allergies (well, the second one is sensitive to dairy, but we didn't see it until she was 6 yrs old). My 3rd child and first with allergies didn't seem to react in utero, but my last had hiccups all.the.time. and he was born with bad skin (bumpy keratosis pilaris all over his back and cradle cap).

#5 ·
When I was pregnant with dd1, anytime I ate anything with dry beans (chili, goulash, Navy Bean Soup, etc.) - I would be very sick with diarrhea and gas about 20 minutes later. It had never bothered me before, I didn't have morning sickness, and it persisted through the second trimester. So I avoided them. And thought, hmmm, this is related to the pregnancy, and maybe related to allergies for babe? I decided to avoid them after she was born, just in case (which is funny because at the time I didn't believe that bf babies could have allergies
).

... She ended up with allergies to dairy, soy, legumes in general, wheat, and egg as an infant. She's outgrown all of them other than egg now (nearly 6) - her soy persisted next longest.

In retrospect, I think the reason she was born ten days 'early,' was because she was struggling with the foods I was eating. I single-handedly ate a "Better than Sex" cake that weekend (dh was gone so I 'had' to finish it) - imagine all the processed soy, dairy, wheat, egg in that!!

With SJ, I avoided eggs throughout the entire pregnancy (and fish/shellfish/nuts/peanuts). I took probiotics. And in the last month, I cut the rest of the Big 8 and all legumes from my diet. So - I can't really judge whether there was a difference in utero between the two, since I'd removed allergens with SJ (who did have a dairy allergy, and does still react to soy/legumes). I don't think either girl moved more or less than the other while I was pregnant, though; I do really believe that Ina was born with an allergic reaction already in progress.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tikva18 View Post
My ds#1 was crazy active in utero. He would kick and people could tell from across a social hall that he'd moved. A year after he was born my back still hurt from how hard he kicked. He also had the hiccups all the time.
This was my LO. When I was in prenatal visits with my first-time mama clients in early pregnancy, they would stare at by belly moving in these freakish ways, seemingly wondering if that was what they were in for.

At the time it NEVER occurred to me that my LO was reacting to what I was eating, or that I had gut problems, etc. And he started hiccupping very early on, and all the time. Again, I had no clue. People have always said that hiccups were a sign of neurological development and I did not look any further beyond that.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
When I was pregnant with dd1, anytime I ate anything with dry beans (chili, goulash, Navy Bean Soup, etc.) - I would be very sick with diarrhea and gas about 20 minutes later. It had never bothered me before, I didn't have morning sickness, and it persisted through the second trimester. So I avoided them. And thought, hmmm, this is related to the pregnancy, and maybe related to allergies for babe? I decided to avoid them after she was born, just in case (which is funny because at the time I didn't believe that bf babies could have allergies
).

... She ended up with allergies to dairy, soy, legumes in general, wheat, and egg as an infant. She's outgrown all of them other than egg now (nearly 6) - her soy persisted next longest.

In retrospect, I think the reason she was born ten days 'early,' was because she was struggling with the foods I was eating. I single-handedly ate a "Better than Sex" cake that weekend (dh was gone so I 'had' to finish it) - imagine all the processed soy, dairy, wheat, egg in that!!

With SJ, I avoided eggs throughout the entire pregnancy (and fish/shellfish/nuts/peanuts). I took probiotics. And in the last month, I cut the rest of the Big 8 and all legumes from my diet. So - I can't really judge whether there was a difference in utero between the two, since I'd removed allergens with SJ (who did have a dairy allergy, and does still react to soy/legumes). I don't think either girl moved more or less than the other while I was pregnant, though; I do really believe that Ina was born with an allergic reaction already in progress.
I'm so happy to hear your lo outgrew her allergies, especially to legumes. My ds reacts to every kind of dried bean and lentil I've eaten. And I ate them a lot when I was pg because they're so healthy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.