First big Gluten Free shopping trip--What do I need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I've decided to give GF a 3 month trial hoping that it will clear some health issues up. I've read a lot of the major sites, but I haven't been able to find something that I've been looking for. Namely, I'd like a list of what things I need to start right away. (I'm starting August 1 so I'm in my shopping mode right now.) To add to the fun, we also keep kosher and eat TF.

What i'm getting right now is a lot of the mixes (recomended on a site so that you can try different flour blends and then know what you like when you want to make your own) for some treats for Shabbat, some rice crackers, quinoa and brown rice on top of things like meat, chicken, fish, dairy, veggies, etc.

Any other things I need for this first big trip? I hate buying so much pre-made and boxed, but I don't want to get overwhelmed.

Thanks!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 AM

I'd suggest either corn tortillas or masa harina for making your own while you're transitioning, assuming you can do corn.
Brown rice flour and tapioca starch are found in nearly every blend of flours. Also xanthan gum. I would suggest sweet rice flour as well, in case you accidentally add too much liquid to a mix/recipe or just for general thickening of stews and such.
It's difficult for me to remember what was most useful.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 AM

I think the best basic gf flours are : b. rice, sorghum, and some starches tapioca- potato - or corn- You need xanthum or guar gum as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you do noodle type stuff, some Tinkyada rice noodles. Breakfast cereal? Rice Chex (there are several gluten free versions now). Those aren't really traditional foods though... personally I like sweet potato flour for thickening gravies and such.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM

I think it definitely depends on what you eat usually. You need to think about which have gluten, and for each of those do you want to replace it or just do without.

For example, I used to eat sandwiches. The bread had gluten. So, did I want to make a replacement or simply eat something else instead of sandwiches. I decided to do without sandwiches. I also used to eat whole wheat pasta. Since it was easy enough to replace that with rice pasta, that is what I did instead of giving up pasta entirely.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM

Just try not to focus on bread foods. That has been easiest for us. We still have occasionally GF treats but mostly we just don't eat bread foods GF or non GF.

Some premade GF foods don't taste very good (kind of like comparing homemade bread to premade except an even bigger difference) and they are extremely expensive so don't stock up until you know you like it.

Different flours are good for different things. For example, I don't use bean flour when making pancakes as I think the flavor is too strong. I will use bean flours for brownies though as the chocolate overpowers it and you can't tell. I started by doing bulk bin shopping at my health food store and got 1 lb of each kind of flour they sold and then I experimented. I found that I don't like rice flour very much. Many recipes rely on it heavily but it's not something that I enjoy. There is going to be some experimentation before you know what you enjoy eating unfortunately.

You should also make sure any condiments that you use are GF. There is a lot of hidden gluten.

We all feel better being GF even I do eventhough I don't have a gluten allergy like my kids.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I was surprised how much of what I normally buy is GF. The only thing I had to change brands on was the coconut oil but I have an email in to the company to see if they are GF and just not labeled.

The main things I make with gluten are bread and cakes for Shabbat. So I just bought a loaf of ready-made bread and a packaged GF-cake mix. I also grabbed a box of rice pasta and a couple bars to toss in the diaper bag and car for when we are out and about.

The only thing I forgot to get that I use regularly is vanilla.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif

User Tag List