Amazing August Abundant Alternatives Chat - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JR - you are safe and loved

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Which kind of magnesium. I found that I tolerate the magnesium glycinate really well. The magnesium citrate, not so much.

That's bizarre. It seems like there'd be at least a passing discussion about causes. Or at least someone questioning it. I mean, if you don't know why, then how do you know how to fix it, without it going right back?
I do citrate, mostly. I find that my bowel tolerance is really dependent on how much calcium I'm getting.

Yeah, it's weird about the speech pathology stuff. But if you look at it from the perspective of adapting/learning new skills to deal with the situation you were handed, it makes more sense. Doesn't make it okay, but makes it fit better in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
When we look for problems, we can find them. When we look for strengths, we can find them. Sometimes we are looking at the same thing. Our judgment provides the 'story' about what we see.

Pat
So, so true. I'm not watching any videos about food politics, though. I know enough to know we've got major issues, and I'm doing what I can (locavore as much as possible). Any new information will only serve to increase my stress load, and so I'm ignoring it

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 PM

Waluso,

Beneficial yeast in kefir or saccharomyces boulardii supplements are necessary during antibiotics for keeping yeast in check IMO.

RE: magnesium

I have to say that transdermal magnesium chloride (google Marc Sircus and magnesium) oil is the bomb. I can absorb much more than any other kind and no gut issues whatsoever. I also just discovered during my trip to the White Mountains it's even great as an unscented bug spray! No bugs want to eat any skin that has that on it. So nice not smelling like citronella.

Now if only it kept away poison ivy. I have a spot on my foot that's killing me!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 PM

JaneS - what about that transdermal mag for children? I'm having a hard time getting mag sulfate into my kids.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 PM

http://www.dramyyasko.com/nutrigenom...ation-pathway/

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JR: I think it's about time that your current bad luck streak should be ending. And happy, calm times should be starting. A nice lull. I'd order it for you if I could...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 AM

JR - wow, mama, that's just not fair. I'm with Kathy - where do we order you up some peace?!?

mtnmama, that's an interesting article. Sometimes I like Dr. Amy, sometimes I think she's selling really expensive stuff, not sure yet. But I like the article.

Stopped the calcium supp, and DS is back to pooping, thank goodness. I give him mg (it's glycinate, which is good, but I can only get about 100mg a day into him, so not enough to balance out a bunch of calcium). I think his mg has been really low, so that's more important than getting calcium into him for the moment.

He's still stimmy as all heck though, and I'm not sure why...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
mtnmama, that's an interesting article. Sometimes I like Dr. Amy, sometimes I think she's selling really expensive stuff, not sure yet. But I like the article.

Stopped the calcium supp, and DS is back to pooping, thank goodness. I give him mg (it's glycinate, which is good, but I can only get about 100mg a day into him, so not enough to balance out a bunch of calcium). I think his mg has been really low, so that's more important than getting calcium into him for the moment.

He's still stimmy as all heck though, and I'm not sure why...
I feel like she's brute forcing the supplements without thinking much about foods and such. But she does seem to know her biochem!

I'm well known to spike dd's (and my own) drinking water - I'll do a pitcher for the day, with ~200mg mag (natural calm right now) and whatever else liquid I want into her (Mo/iodine/salt/SA/etc) and sometimes she says it's 'salty' but more often she just drinks it. Doesn't question the slightly off flavor at all.

I also wanted to mention that there's one of the calcium forms known for reducing HCl. I know that's not your goal at all, so you might want to make sure that's not what you're using.

And finally, have you seen the stimming/ammonia connection?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 AM

I can't sleep. ugh.
for some reason my sugar levels have been spiking over nothing. I was doing great, went on vacation and since then have been feeling like cr*p. I think I might have weakened my adrenals. I am back to having to eat a lot of protein. I'm wondering if what I need is more fat. I had seltzer with a bit of juice and my body is racing. ugh. I also have been gaining some weight.

ok off to bed for me.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I feel like she's brute forcing the supplements without thinking much about foods and such. But she does seem to know her biochem!

I'm well known to spike dd's (and my own) drinking water - I'll do a pitcher for the day, with ~200mg mag (natural calm right now) and whatever else liquid I want into her (Mo/iodine/salt/SA/etc) and sometimes she says it's 'salty' but more often she just drinks it. Doesn't question the slightly off flavor at all.

I also wanted to mention that there's one of the calcium forms known for reducing HCl. I know that's not your goal at all, so you might want to make sure that's not what you're using.

And finally, have you seen the stimming/ammonia connection?
DS doesn't drink water. Seriously, nothing but bm and a little kefir. As soon as he does, I promise to spike it, LOL!

I am just going to keep my calcium up and avoid it for DS for a while - pooping matters more than a little calcium. Hopefully we will get to a place where more calcium rich foods work for him.

And no, thanks for the stimming/ammonia connection. I don't even know what that means, but I'll go read. Question though - any chance I triggered it by a) methyl B12 or b) more protein in his diet? Those are the two changes best correlated with what's going on I think. I was going to try going off the B12, but I vaguely remember ammonia being related to protein? I upped his protein because Cutler says that's good for antimony toxic people (because carbs are hard)... And cuz he'll happily eat lots of protein. Hmmm.... OK, reading for the morning!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:24 AM

Thanks, ladies. I'm sorry to be all "me me me" lately. I'm just feeling really fragile, I guess. I spent half the day in my kitchen crying... and then I'd look at Marius and just start crying again. This friend and I both said that, if reincarnation were true, whoever died first would come back as the other one's kid... I got pregnant with Marius a week after he died. Then I had a dream the other day that my foster mom phoned me to come over for supper and, in our tradition, a dream such as that near to the time a person died (or the 3, 6, 9 month or annual anniversary) means they need food for their journey to the Summerlands and I don't know how to get it to her... She's the person I would have asked normally and now I can't get hold of the other Medicine Person I know..
I'm going to try to be away from MDC for a little while. I feel like I drag everyone down and totally off topic for this forum. Besides, I need to try to get this new meal plan implemented. It's turning out to be a whole lot more work than I expected!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I can't sleep. ugh.
for some reason my sugar levels have been spiking over nothing. I was doing great, went on vacation and since then have been feeling like cr*p. I think I might have weakened my adrenals. I am back to having to eat a lot of protein. I'm wondering if what I need is more fat. I had seltzer with a bit of juice and my body is racing. ugh. I also have been gaining some weight.

ok off to bed for me.
Get some rest mama... and welcome back!

Quote:
And no, thanks for the stimming/ammonia connection. I don't even know what that means, but I'll go read. Question though - any chance I triggered it by a) methyl B12 or b) more protein in his diet? Those are the two changes best correlated with what's going on I think. I was going to try going off the B12, but I vaguely remember ammonia being related to protein? I upped his protein because Cutler says that's good for antimony toxic people (because carbs are hard)... And cuz he'll happily eat lots of protein. Hmmm.... OK, reading for the morning!
This explains the ammonia-protein connection...http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/bh4.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Thanks, ladies. I'm sorry to be all "me me me" lately. I'm just feeling really fragile, I guess. I'm going to try to be away from MDC for a little while. I feel like I drag everyone down and totally off topic for this forum. Besides, I need to try to get this new meal plan implemented. It's turning out to be a whole lot more work than I expected!
We don't want you to go. All of us go through up and down cycles, and half the reason we're here is to support each other through all of it. Good luck with your meal plan though!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Then I had a dream the other day that my foster mom phoned me to come over for supper and, in our tradition, a dream such as that near to the time a person died (or the 3, 6, 9 month or annual anniversary) means they need food for their journey to the Summerlands and I don't know how to get it to her... She's the person I would have asked normally and now I can't get hold of the other Medicine Person I know..
I'm going to try to be away from MDC for a little while. I feel like I drag everyone down and totally off topic for this forum.
One of the things I like best about this place is the truth everyone can share. I will be thinking about you here or away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
This explains the ammonia-protein connection...http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/bh4.php
Thank you! Yeah, it sounds like upping his protein may well be the problem, especially since I'm still waiting on his folate to arrive. I'll try pulling back on the protein some, and see if I can get a little more vitamin C in him.

Shannon, it would have taken me ages to dig out that connection, protein wasn't on my radar as a possibility, so thank you!!

ETA: An interesting article from Dr. Yasko - it talks about more genetics as it relates to detox. On thing I picked up is that a sensitivity to sulphur (higher risk for high ammonia) can mean needing to be careful with things like DMSA/DMSP (chelation drugs) and sulphur containing supps (MSM, Epsom salts!).

Old 08-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I'm going to try to be away from MDC for a little while. I feel like I drag everyone down and totally off topic for this forum. Besides, I need to try to get this new meal plan implemented. It's turning out to be a whole lot more work than I expected!
Don't go away. We need your brain and you need our positive vibes. It all works out. We all vent sometimes and need someone to listen to our off-topic rants. It's a good thing because we all understand that it's sometimes too much on top of all the allergy stuff (that's to keep it on topic).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
DS doesn't drink water. Seriously, nothing but bm and a little kefir. As soon as he does, I promise to spike it, LOL!

I am just going to keep my calcium up and avoid it for DS for a while - pooping matters more than a little calcium. Hopefully we will get to a place where more calcium rich foods work for him.

Think you could spike the kefir? Dissolved natural calm is pretty tart, and you can dissolve it in just a bit of water... And when dd wouldn't drink water, When I tried adding some salt to it, she was a lot more interested. Then my milk went away and suddenly she's thirsty

On the protein... We were eating a ton, and I think it was effecting us slightly - but not to the point of stimming. Then I met someone locally who was just starting GAPS and the first thing that went away was a lot of his stimming. And intro GAPS is *really* high in protein. I'm coming to the conclusion that gut bacteria making ammonia is a much, much more significant source than protein - though the protein provides the substrate.

JR. Do what you need/want to do, but know that even your venting has value - as much as it sucks on your end, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's helpful to see what real stress looks like. As opposed to little adrenal stuff or perceived stress that just pales in comparison to what you're dealing with. When they talk about stress being a significant contributor to things, they're talking about the stress you're dealing with

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
ETA: An interesting article from Dr. Yasko - it talks about more genetics as it relates to detox. On thing I picked up is that a sensitivity to sulphur (higher risk for high ammonia) can mean needing to be careful with things like DMSA/DMSP (chelation drugs) and sulphur containing supps (MSM, Epsom salts!).
Yes, my crystal wouldn't let me use DMSA for a provocation urine test a year ago. I did think it was sulphur at that time. I'm glad it told me so, because the doctor sure thought it was a good idea to give a nursing mama DMSA...

Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM

JR, this place saved me in my ups and downs. If you need to step back, do it, but do it for yourself, cause none of us want you gone.

On another note, I just realized I am much better at speaking up for myself, I used to be horrible, I'd stumble over myself, not having good words, it was really difficult for me. But the speech therapist office just called, the person who'd do the therapy called since I had the eval and we talked about 6 mos of therapy. And, with no preparation (I'm big on thinking things through before difficult conversations, I do much better online than in person) I explained, coherently! that I had structural concerns that weren't addressed and so I haven't made any decisions about speech therapy, and I was planning to go back to my pediatrician for a recommendation for someone who could evaluate structural issues. She was surprised but handled it well, suggested an ENT if my pedi knows one, so it went very well. But having to tell someone (nicely) that your company didn't meet my needs, I'm going elsewhere, is stressful, but I did it!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I can't sleep. ugh.

ok off to bed for me.

GTF Chromium.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
JaneS - what about that transdermal mag for children? I'm having a hard time getting mag sulfate into my kids.

It's excellent for kids! But the oil needs to be diluted in something, it can sting your skin at first b/f you get used to it. Or go with the gel, which is half the strength I think? There is also instructions at www.enzymestuff.com about how to make magnesium sulfate cream with epsom salts. I used to rub on DS's back. Now I spray bottoms of his feet w/ oil. Most of the time I have to wait until after he falls asleep.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 PM

JR
Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Can I just whine that first trimester with decent cholesterol/hormone levels SUCKS compared to first trimester without high hormones? I liked it better when the worst morning sickness I got was a nasty smelling orange in a hot car on an empty stomach. Seriously. Dd smells like roe and sushi rice. I still haven't thrown up yet, but lets just say I have a LOT more respect for HG now.

The things I do for health...

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Think you could spike the kefir? Dissolved natural calm is pretty tart, and you can dissolve it in just a bit of water... And when dd wouldn't drink water, When I tried adding some salt to it, she was a lot more interested. Then my milk went away and suddenly she's thirsty

On the protein... We were eating a ton, and I think it was effecting us slightly - but not to the point of stimming. Then I met someone locally who was just starting GAPS and the first thing that went away was a lot of his stimming. And intro GAPS is *really* high in protein. I'm coming to the conclusion that gut bacteria making ammonia is a much, much more significant source than protein - though the protein provides the substrate.
Can't spike the kefir - heck, I can't even put nice flavoring in it for him. And I don't want to risk him going off the kefir entirely - after swine flu, he's only drinking a little a day now anyhow. Realistically, he's not going to drink more until he nurses less, and I'm not willing to push on that right now, I need to improve his nutrients first.

As for protein, I think he handles it well most of the time - he eats moderate protein and usually isn't stimmy at all. But I upped it, and gave him methyl B12, but no folate (cuz it's still in the mail), and from what I'm reading, I think the combo messed him up. I backed off the protein some, dropped the B12 for now, and I'll try again once the folate arrives.

I think maybe swine flu cleared out his gut bacteria, actually. (There was some CRAZY acidic stuff blowing through him then). He hasn't itched his butt once since, and his poops have been much better. I started him on kefir first thing after the flu, and I'm thinking maybe the gut bacteria stuff is in a better place now?? But interesting about them and ammonia, I'll tuck that one away to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
But having to tell someone (nicely) that your company didn't meet my needs, I'm going elsewhere, is stressful, but I did it!
Awesome! I'm not so good at that on the phone, I have to use email, where I can think first.

Quote:
Can I just whine that first trimester with decent cholesterol/hormone levels SUCKS compared to first trimester without high hormones? I liked it better when the worst morning sickness I got was a nasty smelling orange in a hot car on an empty stomach. Seriously. Dd smells like roe and sushi rice. I still haven't thrown up yet, but lets just say I have a LOT more respect for HG now.

LOL. Sorry, not funny, I know. I had very minor nausea with DD, and 14 weeks of smell induced wretchedness with DS, so you have my total sympathies. For me it was basil - and EVERYTHING smelled like basil. The things we do for our kids ...

Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Anybody know why I would crave eggs at night (like I think, wow, I can't wait to have a bunch of scrambled eggs in the morning) and then in the morning, I think, ewww, why would I want scrambled eggs? I tolerate them well, but I don't want them. Not sure what that says about my sulfur?

Quote:

Are you saying that if you're in decent health that you're more sick than if you have bad health in regards to pregnancy? Just curious, because with DD1 I threw up multiple times per day from 6 weeks to 16 weeks. And she came out with no food intolerances. With DS and DD2, who both have food intolerances, I was nauseous, but only threw up once with each of them during the entire pregnancy. So when you said that I wonder if that was somehow indicative of my health with the first vs. the second and third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I explained, coherently! that I had structural concerns that weren't addressed and so I haven't made any decisions about speech therapy, and I was planning to go back to my pediatrician for a recommendation for someone who could evaluate structural issues. She was surprised but handled it well, suggested an ENT if my pedi knows one, so it went very well. But having to tell someone (nicely) that your company didn't meet my needs, I'm going elsewhere, is stressful, but I did it!
That's great, Tanya. I always manage to think how I should have said it after the fact. Good for you!!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Can't spike the kefir - heck, I can't even put nice flavoring in it for him. And I don't want to risk him going off the kefir entirely - after swine flu, he's only drinking a little a day now anyhow. Realistically, he's not going to drink more until he nurses less, and I'm not willing to push on that right now, I need to improve his nutrients first.

As for protein, I think he handles it well most of the time - he eats moderate protein and usually isn't stimmy at all. But I upped it, and gave him methyl B12, but no folate (cuz it's still in the mail), and from what I'm reading, I think the combo messed him up. I backed off the protein some, dropped the B12 for now, and I'll try again once the folate arrives.

I think maybe swine flu cleared out his gut bacteria, actually. (There was some CRAZY acidic stuff blowing through him then). He hasn't itched his butt once since, and his poops have been much better. I started him on kefir first thing after the flu, and I'm thinking maybe the gut bacteria stuff is in a better place now?? But interesting about them and ammonia, I'll tuck that one away to remember.
Oh right. So you want to look at BH4 support, which is going to be lots of folate, plus molybdenum and a bit of B12 so you're absorbing the folate - if it's methyl folate. I haven't done an in depth look at how to make the purines that make BH4, I think it gets complicated, fast. But those are some of the key ones I remember.

That'd be a great plus side of the swine flu!

I'm feeling a bit better after some time outside in the sun and dumping the roe down the drain. I'm also working on a batch of 'cheddar bunnies,' with measurements this time. Cross your fingers they turn out! (The first batch was perfect and awesome. The second, not so much. Third never got finished. Fourth time's a charm?)

Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Anybody know why I would crave eggs at night (like I think, wow, I can't wait to have a bunch of scrambled eggs in the morning) and then in the morning, I think, ewww, why would I want scrambled eggs? I tolerate them well, but I don't want them. Not sure what that says about my sulfur?

Are you saying that if you're in decent health that you're more sick than if you have bad health in regards to pregnancy? Just curious, because with DD1 I threw up multiple times per day from 6 weeks to 16 weeks. And she came out with no food intolerances. With DS and DD2, who both have food intolerances, I was nauseous, but only threw up once with each of them during the entire pregnancy. So when you said that I wonder if that was somehow indicative of my health with the first vs. the second and third.
When are you taking your supplements? (For the egg thing)

I'm thinking that my cholesterol was low with dd, and so my hormone levels didn't get that high and so I didn't get that sick. Seeing as the morning sickness set in the day after I dramatically upped my biotin, as well as all my food preferences flip flopping from high fat, high cholesterol, high salt, anti-greens/salad, anti-cucumber to craving salad and unable to really even look at the huge batch of ghee I just made. And a test a few days later showed normal cholesterol. I want to search it out, but I've heard tell of a cross cultural study that showed some cultures just don't experience morning sickness. My working explanation is that if you're in great health, no morning sickness. If you're normal, yes morning sickness. If you're imbalanced and not detoxing well, bad morning sickness (HG). If you're dealing with adrenal issues/low cholesterol, low hormone levels, so no morning sickness.

My guess is that I've peeled back a layer. Now my hormones are in much better shape, so I'm capable of morning sickness, but my toxic load is still 'too high' and so I'm feeling it. Maybe next time I'll have good hormone levels but detox perfectly so I'll be back to no morning sickness

Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM

Sorry, I guess I had a bit of a "I'm taking my toys and going home!" moment or something yesterday. It was just a bad day all around. I screamed at the kids because they kept expecting me to cater to them every 2 minutes while I was trying to wash the sticky floor. I hate when I do that.

Sorry about the morning sickness, Shannon. I'd make suggestions but nothing worked for me (until I went on Zofran for 2 days in the hospital) so I'm a little less than hopeful for things in that area. Not to mention, if it's *bad*, I don't want to be making suggestions you've tried already. (In HG-land, it's called "crackering" because the first thing people usually suggest is crackers before rising.)
And yes, purines get complicated fast. There are so many pathways that they *can* take to be converted to BH4, but some are incredibly costly (nutritionally and metabolically)... I think it's best to just go with decreasing ammonia to decrease the load on BH4.
And thanks for validating that this is "real" stress. Sometimes I wonder if I blow things out of proportion... and I know that sometimes I do, when one thing piles on top of another.

Tanya, so glad to hear you stood up for yourself and your kids! I have such a difficult time with that as well.

Mammo2Sammo, a lot of stuff that's thyroid related can be masked as adrenal problems... How's your thyroid support? Are you getting enough iodine/iodide? Hope you're feeling more energetic, but less "wired and tired" soon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Does that mean you're feeling a bit better today, JR? I hope you can find some peace/something meaningful in all this. Find your zen spot?

So the thing is, the morning sickness is *totally* tied to my blood sugar. And I have at least one professional (two if you count the interview with the new midwife) that I've got insulin resistance/blood sugar issues. The best way I know to deal with that is low carb, but the only way I can eat *anything* or stand the smell of bacon cooking is to start with sweet fruit and follow up with plain oatmeal. Not exactly low carb. And then if I want to break the cycle, I need protein, but at that point, dh is running out the door to work and I'm just barely feeling better. Which means the tireds kick in - since dd isn't sleeping well at night, AT ALL, because she won't take her vitamins. Which also means she's real fun to be around all day. Or else she just wants to watch videos. And I'd be able to find zen with that, except I know it's just due to lack of vitamins. But she won't take them for me anymore. I take it back, I got a half dose into her today by mixing with honey. But yeah. Sheesh. If I could get them into her regularly, this whole cycle would break. And if I could figure out easy protein, that'd help as well. Today I had hot dogs for lunch.

So yeah. Any brainstorming welcome, but I reserve the right to reject things on the basis of 'I'm pregnant.'

Oh, and I have this weird, wacky idea, and I'm not sure if I want to pursue it or not. I've been craving gluten and dairy for the first time - I had zero issues cutting it out. Dd's potential reaction is fairly mild, and she's not exactly getting much milk anymore. I'm wondering if I could bring myself to go ahead and eat (homemade raw) yogurt or kefir for the pregnancy - for the sake of good gut bacteria and good nutrients. But it'd be SO HARD to eat in front of dd if she can't have any. Maybe it's time to learn how to make coconut kefir/yogurt for her. Gluten, on the other hand is her biggest trigger and doesn't have a huge nutritional plus side. It's definitely still out.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Does that mean you're feeling a bit better today, JR? I hope you can find some peace/something meaningful in all this. Find your zen spot?

So the thing is, the morning sickness is *totally* tied to my blood sugar. And I have at least one professional (two if you count the interview with the new midwife) that I've got insulin resistance/blood sugar issues. The best way I know to deal with that is low carb, but the only way I can eat *anything* or stand the smell of bacon cooking is to start with sweet fruit and follow up with plain oatmeal. Not exactly low carb. And then if I want to break the cycle, I need protein, but at that point, dh is running out the door to work and I'm just barely feeling better. Which means the tireds kick in - since dd isn't sleeping well at night, AT ALL, because she won't take her vitamins. Which also means she's real fun to be around all day. Or else she just wants to watch videos. And I'd be able to find zen with that, except I know it's just due to lack of vitamins. But she won't take them for me anymore. I take it back, I got a half dose into her today by mixing with honey. But yeah. Sheesh. If I could get them into her regularly, this whole cycle would break. And if I could figure out easy protein, that'd help as well. Today I had hot dogs for lunch.

So yeah. Any brainstorming welcome, but I reserve the right to reject things on the basis of 'I'm pregnant.'

Oh, and I have this weird, wacky idea, and I'm not sure if I want to pursue it or not. I've been craving gluten and dairy for the first time - I had zero issues cutting it out. Dd's potential reaction is fairly mild, and she's not exactly getting much milk anymore. I'm wondering if I could bring myself to go ahead and eat (homemade raw) yogurt or kefir for the pregnancy - for the sake of good gut bacteria and good nutrients. But it'd be SO HARD to eat in front of dd if she can't have any. Maybe it's time to learn how to make coconut kefir/yogurt for her. Gluten, on the other hand is her biggest trigger and doesn't have a huge nutritional plus side. It's definitely still out.
Oatmeal, while not "low carb", is fairly high protein... and what you're describing sounds so much like me when pregnant with DS1...
I'm guessing the morning is the worst time of day for you? If that's the case, have you considered doing up a big batch of sausages or bacon that you can keep in the fridge and then they don't take as long to cook and the smell isn't as strong?
I ate both gluten and dairy while pregnant, so... Both of which *I* should be avoiding.
Oh wait! There was something that helped *after* I went to the hospital, which may help you (I didn't try it beforehand). A homeopathic remedy! For me, the best fit (for acute care) was ipecac, but there may be a better one for you. Then I got on my constitutional and the morning sickness was gone (unless my constitutional started burning out).

ETA: And yes, thank you, I am feeling better emotionally. It was the night before last that I had the dream about my mom needing food and then yesterday DS1 came in to tell me that the blackberries were ripe and my friend who died had given me blackberries right before he died- I think it was exactly 4 days before he died, coincidentally and we were supposed to go pick blackberries together this year...
Physically, however, I'm feeling beat up. I'm *so tired* and sore. Trying to take it easy but...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Yeah, *after* a slow bowl of oatmeal, bacon cooking is fine, and eating it too. And after that protein has a chance to settle, I'm good to go. Unless there's a 2yo smeared in roe who wants to nurse in my lap nonstop . I'm not sure I could handle eating any protein till after the oatmeal, but having leftovers ready to go is a good idea. I'm also so used to cramming a ton of nutrition into breakfast... I should get it into other meals instead. Dh is craving beef stew. Perhaps it's time for stew in August. Worth a shot!

I wouldn't have a clue where to start with homeopathy, and paying a homeopath is not likely. Any big $$ to spend on 'alternative' treatments is going to metals testing atm. Somehow, we've had a *ton* of big purchases all at once lately...

ETA: do the blackberries tie in to your foster mom dream at all?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a list of acute homeopathics for morning sickness.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post12457990

Pat

I have a blog.

User Tag List