Amazing August Abundant Alternatives Chat - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry about the grape juice, Mammo2Sammo.

Tracy... There are just no words. You will get through this and we will help however we can. We love you.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks you guys. Sorry to dump it here. I left work yesterday, couldn't stay. i only work 3 days per week. I'm sitting in my office and can't stop crying, much less get anything done. And I have so much work to do, too! I appreciate the support so much, you'll never know how much. You ladies have gotten me this far.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#363 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Shannon - So happy to hear you are feeling normal! But sorry about the morning sickness

Kathy - I hope your back is better today! I love to eat out but have given up for a while because I am tired of people who don't take allergies seriously. At one mediterranean place the owner insisted they don't use dairy, then the dish I ordered came with feta cheese on it. Yeah, I guess cheese isn't dairy.

JR - I also love your traditions! My great-grandparents were both native american and I am sorry I didn't get to hear more of their stories. Hearing your stories makes me want to talk to my mother more about our family history and traditions that have been lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
My dh emailed me at work yesterday morning to tell me he was moving out that day and wants a divorce. He did come home but is actively looking for a place to move tonight. I can't breathe. I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I don't know how I'm going to take care of a 7, 3.5 and 1.5 year old myself. I don't know how I'm going to handle him taking the kids 2-3 nights a week. He said he'll bring the baby home to me when she is ready to go to sleep though. We've talked about it so many times over the years. I can't believe it is really happening right now. We have an au pair coming on Friday for a 1 year commitment. She thinks she is coming to an intact family. I don't even know if I want her to come, but think my 7 yr old will be devastated by that too if she doesn't. We are losing our nanny of 2.5 years at the same time. The baby is 22 months old. We've never even had a family photo since she was born. Now she'll never have one.

::
Tracy - I am so, so sorry. You are so strong and such a great mother, you will get through this and you will be even stronger on the other side. I wish there was more we could all do to help.
#364 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Oh, I have to tell you all this...
I've mentioned in my blog how DH isn't really a great taste tester, because he'll just eat whatever I put in front of him so long as it's actually edible, not sure if I've mentioned it here but anyway... It's not normal for him to actually compliment food or be like "Wow, this is good. Is there more?"
The blackberry-apple crisp I made yesterday (you know, the one I couldn't stop eating? ) actually hit the "Wow, this is good. Is there more?" factor for him. :
The downside of this is that I think DS2 is reacting to blackberries (he was eating them as he was picking them). I'm really starting to think it is a sals problem. Can someone remind me (again) of the solution for that?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#365 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM

Oooh. Let us know how it goes. Which doctor are you seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
this was in response to my sugar spiking and feeling messed up and frustrated - Jane suggested GTF Chromium

I have been juicing Romaine lettuce since Jan, feeling great with it. During vacation I started cutting back on my juicing and have only been doing it a few days a week.
Guess what? looking up whfoods and chromium - romaine lettuce is an excellent source for chromium. go whole foods! and back to juicing.

Pat we need to fix your screen - don't want to lose you. unfortunately I have no idea.

Off to the doctor's for my boys. feeling a little nervous about introducing the idea of mercury toxicity and hair analysis. if any md would be open to it though, this one should be.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#366 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Oh honey, hugs. I'm so sorry you are going through this. We're here for you!

Quote:
My dh emailed me at work yesterday morning to tell me he was moving out that day and wants a divorce. He did come home but is actively looking for a place to move tonight. I can't breathe. I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I don't know how I'm going to take care of a 7, 3.5 and 1.5 year old myself. I don't know how I'm going to handle him taking the kids 2-3 nights a week. He said he'll bring the baby home to me when she is ready to go to sleep though. We've talked about it so many times over the years. I can't believe it is really happening right now. We have an au pair coming on Friday for a 1 year commitment. She thinks she is coming to an intact family. I don't even know if I want her to come, but think my 7 yr old will be devastated by that too if she doesn't. We are losing our nanny of 2.5 years at the same time. The baby is 22 months old. We've never even had a family photo since she was born. Now she'll never have one.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#367 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
The downside of this is that I think DS2 is reacting to blackberries (he was eating them as he was picking them). I'm really starting to think it is a sals problem. Can someone remind me (again) of the solution for that?
Ugh, total bummer on the blackberries. Short term solution, stop eating berries. Then push mag/mo/b6, Epsom salts baths. We are seeing a *little* improvement after 3 months, but not enough to handle most fruit.

Quote:
Thanks you guys. Sorry to dump it here. I left work yesterday, couldn't stay. i only work 3 days per week. I'm sitting in my office and can't stop crying, much less get anything done. And I have so much work to do, too! I appreciate the support so much, you'll never know how much. You ladies have gotten me this far.

~Tracy
Oh sweetie . When my first marriage fell apart, good counseling was hugely important for me. Is there someone professional you can talk to who can help you work through this?

And I think we need a rule around here - no more apologizing for letting real life intrude into this thread .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#368 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Tracy, so sorry!!! We must have xposted. I'll be praying for you!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#369 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Ugh, total bummer on the blackberries. Short term solution, stop eating berries. Then push mag/mo/b6, Epsom salts baths. We are seeing a *little* improvement after 3 months, but not enough to handle most fruit.
Well, that first part I knew, though it seriously sucks because now I can't take him out in our yard. As soon as we get out to the yard, he tries to bee-line to the berry bushes and no amount of distraction or anything will get him away. Then, if I take him inside to keep him away from the bushes after being outside, I have a half hour to 45 minute temper tantrum with which to deal, complete with him smashing his head into the floor and crying "baawwwiiieees!!".

#370 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Well, that first part I knew, though it seriously sucks because now I can't take him out in our yard. As soon as we get out to the yard, he tries to bee-line to the berry bushes and no amount of distraction or anything will get him away. Then, if I take him inside to keep him away from the bushes after being outside, I have a half hour to 45 minute temper tantrum with which to deal, complete with him smashing his head into the floor and crying "baawwwiiieees!!".
Epsom salt baths for the sulfate for immediate detoxing. And there's something you can do with baking soda to kill a reaction, drink it (on an empty stomach), I think?

And possibly try cal d glucarate/probiotics if you think the gut bacteria might be an issue.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#371 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Tracy I am so sorry.
I would consider a special Flower Essence blend from Panserbjorne. It might help you get through this amazingly tough time.
Lean on us. Don't you dare appologize for negative comments. That's what this thread is about.

My house smells like grape juice kefir. well at least I am halfway smiling about it.

The doctor's appointment went fairly well. She's pretty crunchy, but still an md and many of her crunchy ways are different - not totally the way I would do it. I think I will bring up my own thread for a discussion about it.
ex. she ordered great tests for thyroid, vit d, etc - but she thinks that people get enough iodine through iodized salt and sea salt.
she was accepting of the hair test but prefers to do a provoked and unprovoked urine test. She doesn't think the boys need chelation, but would suggest I do it ALA/DMSA before I get pregnant (if I decide to), even though I have a filling. She thinks our allergy patterns suggest I struggle with mercury and would like to try to prevent further problems with my third. etc. see what I mean? I am hoping I can make suggestions as to what I want even if it is a little different than she normally does.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#372 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Love the energy of this title!!!

Had to say hi! :

Maye when I stop being in denial about my food issues, I'll join you.
#373 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Checked out the link that PB posted a long time ago... According to that, the foods DS2 reacts to have gallic acid, rutin and quercetin in common.
An interesting link, rutin.... I believe I've mentioned my brother has schizophrenia? There is some link between rutin and schizophrenia, though I can't recall what now...

#374 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Tracy I am so sorry.
I would consider a special Flower Essence blend from Panserbjorne.
yes - she is amazing. I have a custom blend and it gets me through so much!!!!!
#375 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Checked out the link that PB posted a long time ago... According to that, the foods DS2 reacts to have gallic acid, rutin and quercetin in common.
An interesting link, rutin.... I believe I've mentioned my brother has schizophrenia? There is some link between rutin and schizophrenia, though I can't recall what now...
Did you look them up backwards, too? See what's in safe foods? Cause I remember quercetin at least being in *everything.* Interesting about the schizophrenia link, though!

(just took my CLO for the first time in 3 weeks, go me! And then couldn't eat my salad for lunch cause it's too bitter )

#376 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks so much you guys, you sustain me.

Quote:
Oh sweetie . When my first marriage fell apart, good counseling was hugely important for me. Is there someone professional you can talk to who can help you work through this?
I was so fortunate enough to have seen a wonderful counselor who focuses on motherhood issues when I was pg w/my 3rd in 2007. I am going to make an appt w/her. My dh is saying he is going to see someone too, to deal w/his own issues. He really doubts we will ever get back together, but for the kids sake I know I do hope we can heal our marriage and have it back, in good shape this time. There is an awful lot to like about the guy, but we haven't dealt well w/parenthood, and we haven't dealt well w/each other not dealing well w/parenthood. Hopefully we can emerge from this stronger and more importantly happier. I'm mostly worried about visitation right now. I would prefer to be a SAHM (even though my kids drive me nuts at times) and work 3 days per week as a sort of compromise for time w/my kids but still have some income. I don't want to lose more time w/them on the eve and weekends! a lot of people are telling me I can use that time for myself and on my home (more than likely cooking/baking) to be able to be more at peace and have better interactions w/my kids. I'm hoping I can do that and it won't seem like too much time away from them and we can all be happier. I'm hoping.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#377 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Hugs. I hope the counselor can help you out.

Quote:
Thanks so much you guys, you sustain me.

I was so fortunate enough to have seen a wonderful counselor who focuses on motherhood issues when I was pg w/my 3rd in 2007. I am going to make an appt w/her. My dh is saying he is going to see someone too, to deal w/his own issues. He really doubts we will ever get back together, but for the kids sake I know I do hope we can heal our marriage and have it back, in good shape this time. There is an awful lot to like about the guy, but we haven't dealt well w/parenthood, and we haven't dealt well w/each other not dealing well w/parenthood. Hopefully we can emerge from this stronger and more importantly happier. I'm mostly worried about visitation right now. I would prefer to be a SAHM (even though my kids drive me nuts at times) and work 3 days per week as a sort of compromise for time w/my kids but still have some income. I don't want to lose more time w/them on the eve and weekends! a lot of people are telling me I can use that time for myself and on my home (more than likely cooking/baking) to be able to be more at peace and have better interactions w/my kids. I'm hoping I can do that and it won't seem like too much time away from them and we can all be happier. I'm hoping.

~Tracy

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#378 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM

Just found a really cool site - written by someone like me, sharing what she's learned while trying to address her own health issues. She doesn't really say what to *do,* but she talks a lot about Weston A Price, nutrient deficiencies, genetics (including mthfr), jaw size, birth defects, (low) cholesterol, and how they're all related...
http://www.ctds.info/connective_disorders1.html
And this is the nutrition book she recommends:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...heritedconn-20

#379 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Just found a really cool site - written by someone like me, sharing what she's learned while trying to address her own health issues. She doesn't really say what to *do,* but she talks a lot about Weston A Price, nutrient deficiencies, genetics (including mthfr), jaw size, birth defects, (low) cholesterol, and how they're all related...
http://www.ctds.info/connective_disorders1.html
And this is the nutrition book she recommends:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...heritedconn-20

Thanks for the link, Shannon. I ordered the book, looks interesting. Did I mention I have an issue with books? I love Amazon and can't resist ordering something if it's under $20. I have so many books now thanks to this forum!

I have a question about some tests I had run back in March. I was looking at them for a dr appt this afternoon and wondering whether I have any deficiencies (after I had them taken I was focused on other issues and didn't focus on these results). The following were my results:

Iron, Total - value 82 - range 20-160
Transferrin - value 317 - range 230-520
Transferrin Sat - value 26 - range 20-60
Ferritin - value 27 - range 5-114
Vitamin B12 - value 182 - range 200-1000 (I know this one's low)
Folate, RBC - value 194 - range 95-570
Vit D - value 31 (I know this one's low)

They were all within range except B12 and D but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't too low. Thoughts?

I am excited about this dr apt this afternoon. The dr is a pediatrician and his website says he "uses an integrative approach to pediatric care, combining the best of both conventional and alternative medicine to provide holistic well-child care and to treat children with autism, ADHD, chronic pain, gastrointestinal issues, allergies, asthma, and a variety of other problems." I am hoping he can give us a second opinion on DD and whether we should get a full eval for potential behavioral development delay (I've already put her on a wait list for an eval) and some new insight on the food issues.
#380 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
Kathy - I hope your back is better today! I love to eat out but have given up for a while because I am tired of people who don't take allergies seriously. At one mediterranean place the owner insisted they don't use dairy, then the dish I ordered came with feta cheese on it. Yeah, I guess cheese isn't dairy.
Isn't feta from goat though? And maybe they thought cow? I know, I know, it's still not right.

My back is worse today than yesterday actually. It's how I used to feel with pain all the time, and wondering when it was going to spasm enough for ice. And I can't imagine that I used to get stuff done while feeling like this. Which just shows how far I've come with it. I'm hoping it's only a 3 day reaction. DH said "I knew this was going to happen." I said, "then why didn't you warn me?" He said he thought it was only a wine tasting until he was driving us there and heard us say dinner, and thought it was too late to warn me by then. It was 7 women from the neighborhood going out for "girls night". Maybe I'll try the baking soda remedy. It's on the side of the box.

Tracy: Sending you some more hugs.
Jacqueline: Have you figured out how to send your mother the food? Is there any way we can help?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#381 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
Thanks for the link, Shannon. I ordered the book, looks interesting. Did I mention I have an issue with books? I love Amazon and can't resist ordering something if it's under $20. I have so many books now thanks to this forum!

I have a question about some tests I had run back in March. I was looking at them for a dr appt this afternoon and wondering whether I have any deficiencies (after I had them taken I was focused on other issues and didn't focus on these results). The following were my results:

Iron, Total - value 82 - range 20-160
Transferrin - value 317 - range 230-520
Transferrin Sat - value 26 - range 20-60
Ferritin - value 27 - range 5-114
Vitamin B12 - value 182 - range 200-1000 (I know this one's low)
Folate, RBC - value 194 - range 95-570
Vit D - value 31 (I know this one's low)

They were all within range except B12 and D but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't too low. Thoughts?
I just requested it from the library. We'll see who gets it first

The only test I can comment on is folate - that mine kept coming back in range, but I still saw that HUGE difference with food folate. My latest test came back just above the range, and I feel way more 'normal.' So I'm thinking that's a good one to be on the high end for.

#382 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Jacqueline: Have you figured out how to send your mother the food? Is there any way we can help?
Ooh, do you think it'd be more likely to get to her if we all had blackberry feasts in her honor at the same time?

#383 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

I'd take her in for an xray to be safe. My DD2 fell off the counter and wouldn't move her elbow. The PA at the ER didn't see anything, but I took her to an orthopedist because she wouldn't move the elbow (though she didn't cry otherwise). On the same xray, he saw a break right about the elbow. So just to be on the safe side, I'd take her in... Probably not what you wanted to hear, but with little ones who don't necessarily know how to verbalize everything they feel, I'd do it.
I ended up taking her to the chiro. He has this machine that vibrates and is painful if it's broken. He can also order xrays. He rec'd ice and wrapping and a balm--said if she wasn't bouncing back tomorrow to take her in. Apparently he gets this a lot.... He did say, tho, that if it was a break it would likely be the growth plate, given the area. He also said it is more difficult to break. I felt really good about this. I also ended up crushing a bit of an adult ibuprofen for her in water since I couldn't find a children's one that I thought she'd be okay with. She did really well at his office and with him. Quiet, but angelic.

Seems like the rough times are going around! Am sending healing, peaceful vibes to all us mamas who are enduring stress!

Tracy, just another hug your way...such a tough situation...

typos likely

#384 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Tracy I am so sorry.
she was accepting of the hair test but prefers to do a provoked and unprovoked urine test. She doesn't think the boys need chelation, but would suggest I do it ALA/DMSA before I get pregnant (if I decide to), even though I have a filling. She thinks our allergy patterns suggest I struggle with mercury and would like to try to prevent further problems with my third. etc. see what I mean? I am hoping I can make suggestions as to what I want even if it is a little different than she normally does.
Yeah, that sounds a bit dangerous... but good that she is accepting of those ideas. What about your allergy patterns seemed like mercury to her?

I have to take DD to a ped to get a sign-off for school. She hasn't seen anyone except my midwife (who is also an ND) since she was 18 months old, so this should be interesting ...

Quote:
I was so fortunate enough to have seen a wonderful counselor who focuses on motherhood issues when I was pg w/my 3rd in 2007. I am going to make an appt w/her. My dh is saying he is going to see someone too, to deal w/his own issues. He really doubts we will ever get back together, but for the kids sake I know I do hope we can heal our marriage and have it back, in good shape this time. There is an awful lot to like about the guy, but we haven't dealt well w/parenthood, and we haven't dealt well w/each other not dealing well w/parenthood.
~Tracy
Oh hon, that's really hard. And perhaps there are threads of hope in there too. I'm so glad you know a good counselor for you - and maybe she can suggest a counselor you and DH could see together as well? Parenting is HARD, but it's also something where outside help can make a world of difference sometimes... I hold out hope for you, and also wishes that you find some peace with the way it will need to work in the short term, whatever comes next.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#385 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 PM

So I've been thinking...when you have a child who is FA, but not diagnosed by an official elisa test...is this going to be a problem if we end up needing to take her in? Will they question that or just take my word for it if I write it on the paperwork? Experiences? Anything I should specifically be on the lookout for being GF,CF, soy, egg and citrus free? And no vax?

typos likely

#386 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I went in with DD2's infected toe a couple of summers ago, they didn't ask if she was vaccinated that I remember. And they took my word for it about the intolerances. I told them that I had given her the dye-free Motrin, which she immediately vomited up, and that I didn't have any safe Tylenol. They asked what else and I told her the foods I knew (that was before we had gotten the ALCAT test so it was all from elimination diet) and they said they would write everything down that she had while she was there in case there was a problem with anything. They didn't ask how I knew or what tests she had. That was a Children's Hospital ER. She is vaccinated, so maybe they asked and I answered, but I don't remember if they even asked.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#387 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM

oops.

typos likely

#388 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks, Kathy. I ran out of my adrenal support yesterday (good timing) and I'm a bit paranoid... I bandaged it and she is up and about, still babying, but up. An improvement, since she hasn't wanted to move all day.

So today I took some NAC, selenium and molybdenim and had a headaches within seconds of so doing...the source is good for us, I use other products just fine, so not xcon related. What is blocked, I wonder?

typos likely

#389 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Thanks, Kathy. I ran out of my adrenal support yesterday (good timing) and I'm a bit paranoid... I bandaged it and she is up and about, still babying, but up. An improvement, since she hasn't wanted to move all day.
Folate (and B12) to lower your dopamine! Lentils, salad (romaine/spinach), chicken liver... Extra B12 supp...

#390 of 1021 Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
So today I took some NAC, selenium and molybdenim and had a headaches within seconds of so doing...the source is good for us, I use other products just fine, so not xcon related. What is blocked, I wonder?
Have you done any of those before? Do you have sulfur issues? If sulfoxidation has been 'off' for a while, then the Mo might stir some stuff up. Selenium is for glutathione and thyroid and...? NAC increases my keratin, I wonder if that could somehow create a headache? It would also increase sulfite, so if the Mo couldn't keep up... And taurine, and glutathione and probably a bazillion others I'm forgetting...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page