Amazing August Abundant Alternatives Chat - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Yeah, I'm skeptical of all folate/folic acid unless is specifically says 5-MTHF or methyl folate. Folate and folic acid are used interchangeably, it seems, and sometimes folinate is 'active folate,' which it *is,* but it still doesn't bypass MTHFR - it's one of the two forms found in food, and methyl folate is the other.
So.... Metafolin not Metafolinic?
#482 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 03:00 PM

JR - I'm so glad that you heard from your mom.

So we went to see a pediatric allergist this week (Wednesday?). He said that the allergy testing we had done seven months ago (IgG through Biotek) was useless. He said that there has never been a successful double-blind study done on IgG testing. Based on Keagan's reactions the doctor said doing a RAST or blood test for IgE wouldln't make sense, so we are down to an elimination diet. Ugh. I so do not want to do this. Beginning Monday (because that is when I get DS back from my ex) we are doing 5 days of only cod and quinoa. I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this I know that I can but god, 5 days? Really? Then we are to add back in suspect items one at a time every two days. If he reacts (with diarrhea or extremely loose stools) then we are to believe he is allergic to the item and completely keep it out of the rotation. Did I mention I am NOT looking forward to this? I can only imagine the behaviors that will come along with not being able to eat what he wants. I have tried explaining to him what we are going to do and why, but he just doesn't get it (he is 3.5 years old). UGH! This would have been so much easier if we had just started with an elimination diet instead of the stupid testing that isn't even statistically valid. Grrrr.

Oh. And today is my first "un-anniversary". We would have been married 11 years today. R.I.P. true love

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#483 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What peanuts do you use for making peanut butter? We have some roasted, but there's also fresh and boiled ones at the farmers market. They're a pain to shell, though...
Most are GMO-peanuts. Here are some Organic peanuts: http://www.localharvest.org/peanuts.jsp

Pat

I have a blog.
#484 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I have thoughts for you, but I am dealing with severe malabsorption from chronic giardia at this time and my THIRD period this month. I think I am going to die. What are you doing to get rid of blastocystis hominis?
Wow, you sound miserable!!

Here are some links for natural and alternative treatments for giardia.

Are you doing lactobacillus and s. boulardii?

Pat

I have a blog.
#485 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Susannah M,

Pat

I have a blog.
#486 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
So.... Metafolin not Metafolinic?
Had to look those up. Yeah, metafolin looks like the right methyl form. megafolinic is folinic acid. Foods naturally have a combo of the two, so if you're trying to approximate food, you'll want both (thorne does both) but if you're trying to work hard on the methyl cycle, you'll likely want more of the methyl form.

But yeah, I haven't read anything definitive that I trust on the subject. I think a lot of it is just theory at this point. So this is the best of my own guesswork

Organic peanuts. Duly noted.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#487 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post

So we went to see a pediatric allergist this week (Wednesday?). He said that the allergy testing we had done seven months ago (IgG through Biotek) was useless. He said that there has never been a successful double-blind study done on IgG testing. Based on Keagan's reactions the doctor said doing a RAST or blood test for IgE wouldln't make sense, so we are down to an elimination diet. Ugh. I so do not want to do this. Beginning Monday (because that is when I get DS back from my ex) we are doing 5 days of only cod and quinoa. I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this I know that I can but god, 5 days? Really? Then we are to add back in suspect items one at a time every two days. If he reacts (with diarrhea or extremely loose stools) then we are to believe he is allergic to the item and completely keep it out of the rotation. Did I mention I am NOT looking forward to this? I can only imagine the behaviors that will come along with not being able to eat what he wants. I have tried explaining to him what we are going to do and why, but he just doesn't get it (he is 3.5 years old). UGH! This would have been so much easier if we had just started with an elimination diet instead of the stupid testing that isn't even statistically valid. Grrrr.

Oh. And today is my first "un-anniversary". We would have been married 11 years today. R.I.P. true love
Cod and quinoa, are those the only 2 foods you are sure of? Land sakes that sucks!! I thought quinoa was known as being reactive? Your poor little bunny.'

The IgG and intradermal skin testing (which is supposed to be similar) wasn't completely helpful for us. It was discovering reactions to salicylates and gluten. And sugar. Unfortunately those required an elim diet but the rotation diet was very helpful in that we could see reactions there too. And using the right probiotic.

Is your Ex being cooperative? My Soon to Be Ex is not really, he thinks I make most of this up. And for a while I floundered, not really knowing exactly what is going on, but knowing for sure *something* was. I hear a lot about how I was wrong then. Even though DS's skin, behavior, sleeping, pooping, and growing all show how right I am now. Sigh.

I think allergy families do have it very hard in the relationship department.
#488 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think allergy families do have it very hard in the relationship department.
: eta: forgot I wanted to say more on this. It _has_ been hard, the time period when you don't know what's going on, as the primary caregiver knowing that things are wrong, and seeing changes that you are causing, for good or for ill, that the partner can't see so clearly because they aren't in charge of the food/supps/whatever's making the difference. My DH still doesn't get that our daughter got happy in April of last year because I upp'd her modifilan and her vitamin C need started _finally_ coming down. She had significant reductions in tantrums and overreactions and inflexibility within 4 weeks, and it was clear as day to me. I've told him several times, and he knows I'm right, but he doesn't really see it and *really* know what this means for her. We're some of the lucky ones, we are on the road out of the icky-bad place, and we're stronger and more united for it, but it's not been fun. It's one of those things you really don't foresee when you decide to get married. to everyone who's struggling.

Susannah, So sorry, and yeah, I don't know how to do just quinoa and cod. What about fat? I'd _feel_ horrible with so little fat for 5 days, is there anything fatty you are fairly sure of? Or would be willing to swap out for something else fatty if things don't look good after 5 days? And yeah, I wouldn't know how to explain any of it to a 3-year old. And at such a stressful time on top of it.
#489 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I've been using Source Naturals sublingual B-12, 5 MG. That seems like too much for DD. And I'm not sure I can get her to keep it in her mouth until it dissolves. Any suggestions as to dosage for her and does it matter if she just swallows it? Or is there something I can just put in her food?
I used to bite them in half for the kids, but I did it to increase absorption--1,000 mcg in the AM and 1,000 after nap. Absorption decreases as dosage increases (our supp is 2000 mcg). So you don't want your kid grabbing the bottle and taking 2 dozen because they taste like candy :, you'd want to be aware of side effects (maybe hyperactivity?) and they may drink a lot more water and urinate extra : but the amount absorbed isn't linear. And it's okay to do it every other day or twice a week or something like that. The Perque kind just falls apart in the mouth (which means that there's a good bit of powder left on the bottom of the bottle) but they absorb fast.

Hey, from the other page, I mentioned your ferritin, it's low. Mine was 71 and both my HCPs told me to supplement to help with my fatigue. You should strongly consider supplementing.
#490 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 PM

FYI, prothera also uses methyl folate
"Folate (50% as folinic acid (5-formyltetrahydrofolate) and 50% as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate)"
http://www.protherainc.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=MT1

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#491 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Heh. I mixed sodium ascorbate, glycine, 5-mthf, b12, calcium and zinc with crispy rice cereal, shredded coconut, and one tsp of peanut butter. Then I melted a handful of chocolate chips to glue it all together. Its yummy AND she's eating it!!!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#492 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Many goitrogens are generally members of the brassica family.

These include:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Mustard
Kale

Turnips
Rape seed (Canola Oil)

Other goitrogens include:
Soy
Pine nuts
Millet
Peanuts

Quote:
Brassica family vegetables not only inhibit thyroid production, but they also inhibit cancer growth. We know that sulfur, copper, and iron work closely together and that excessive sulfur can deplete copper and/or iron. The following study mentions that excessive kale consumption will cause anemia in cattle. Generally anemia is the result of low iron and/or copper. Also, foods and drugs that cause anemia also reduce cancer growth, indicating that the brassica vegetables might reduce cancer by inducing anemia.
Quote:

Because copper and iron are so important for thyroid function, I don't think that it is advisable to eat plants of the brassica family. We have seen that the primary pre-condition for the production of thyroid disease is the onset of anemia. Brassica vegetables, with their high sulfur content, may be foods which induce anemia and consequently thyroid disease. Don't consider this the final word on these vegetables, but we will continue to look at this possibility.

http://www.ithyroid.com/goitrogens.htm

Pat

I have a blog.
#493 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

HOWEVER,

Human population as well as animal studies consistently show that diets high in cruciferous vegetables, such as kale, are associated with lower incidence of a variety of cancers, including lung, colon, breast and ovarian cancer. Now, research published in the International Journal of Cancer (Zhao H, Lin J) suggests that bladder cancer can join the list.

Crucifers' well known cancer-fighting properties are thought to result from their high levels of active phytochemicals called glucosinolates, which our bodies metabolize into powerful anti-carcinogens called isothiocyanates.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38

Pat

I have a blog.
#494 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post

Have you looked at Biotek's case studies? Do they have any?
ALCAT has clinical trial stuff on their website. That's where we had our IgG testing from. And they were very accurate. Out of the 150 foods tested, there was ONE false negative for DD2 (which just happened to be her worst, but she'd also been off it for a year at that point). And DS had two false negatives (one he'd been on, and one he wasn't, but the one he had been on I think was okay at the beginning, and then got worse: corn). So can't you use the IgG testing as a starting point? I wouldn't say it's totally useless (though I don't know anything about Biotek itself).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#495 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Have you looked at Biotek's case studies? Do they have any?
ALCAT has clinical trial stuff on their website. That's where we had our IgG testing from. And they were very accurate. Out of the 150 foods tested, there was ONE false negative for DD2 (which just happened to be her worst, but she'd also been off it for a year at that point). And DS had two false negatives (one he'd been on, and one he wasn't, but the one he had been on I think was okay at the beginning, and then got worse: corn). So can't you use the IgG testing as a starting point? I wouldn't say it's totally useless (though I don't know anything about Biotek itself).
I went through the same lab (my allergist swears by them). I don't see and haven't seen any kind of case studies on their site.
This is what their site says:
Quote:
With our ELISA testing, US BioTek Laboratories runs each and every serum specimen in complete duplicate as your assurance of a reproducible report. We perform daily in-house reproducibility checks and submit to unknown reproducibility checks through the College of American Pathologists. Our goal is to take every measure to ensure reproducible and reliable results.
My allergist told me that their accuracy was 85%.
I completely agree that the IgG testing is intended to be a starting point.
Susannah

ETA: GAH!! PINE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#496 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Watch max selenium intake.

In light of potential toxicity risks, the National Academy of Sciences (in the year 2000)set a tolerable upper limit (UL) for selenium of 400 micrograms per day for men and women 19 years and older.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=95

Pat
Thanks, Pat. I don't *think* I'm overdoing it...yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Anyone have a favorite coconut oil? I'm almost out and too tired to think it through.
I really like mountain rose herbs and you can buy bulk!!! It's also the best price I've found...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
How do you do with sulfur foods? Eggs, onions/alliums, um, I forgot the others? I'd assume the NAC first off, selenium and molybdenum aren't nearly as likely to have bad effects (though NAC is good for quite a few people, just not universally).
I use tons of onions, garlic, ect. Used to eat eggs by the dozens, but dd is off them, so I am too...too bad te moly and selenium were in the nac supp...I need to trial dd on it again...(just gave it one day).

Quote:
HOWEVER,

Human population as well as animal studies consistently show that diets high in cruciferous vegetables, such as kale, are associated with lower incidence of a variety of cancers, including lung, colon, breast and ovarian cancer. Now, research published in the International Journal of Cancer (Zhao H, Lin J) suggests that bladder cancer can join the list.

Crucifers' well known cancer-fighting properties are thought to result from their high levels of active phytochemicals called glucosinolates, which our bodies metabolize into powerful anti-carcinogens called isothiocyanates.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38

Pat
Sheesh, it's just hard to know, isn't it? I've wondered about my bubbies saurkrout these days.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#497 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Was going to add that dd's arm is NOT broken, tho it took til Friday morning to verify that. I really thought it was as it was SO painful for her and it swelled and bruised bigtime. I've got it balmed and bandaged and she didn't need any pain med last night to sleep, so we're on our way to healing. She fell on it three times yesterday, tho. I'm giving her arnica montana for the swelling bruising...

typos likely

#498 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Jon at ithyroid.com seems to have updated his discussion since I was there. A lot more discussion of amalgam fillings and mercury toxicity, I do not remember that from when I was reading there (which was before I realized my amalgams were a problem). Interesting. The discussion of sulfur was interesting too, since many (not all, but more than half, I think about 2/3) of people with mercury issues benefit from extra sulfur foods. And the iron deficiency discussion (talking about manganese and other deficiencies causing iron deficiencies) was interesting, my ferritin was a bit low last year, and it clearly wasn't intake, I think more likely it was other stresses on my body. Someday I really want some follow-up bloodwork to have something objective to look.

Pat, fwiw, our main ferment in kimchee. Maybe people in more acute times of thyroid problems should avoid more, for us we mix brassicas in with other veggies in what I think are reasonable amounts. Have you had a full thyroid panel anytime recently? How's your energy? And have you had anything like B12 or iron/ferritin checked?
#499 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
FYI, prothera also uses methyl folate
"Folate (50% as folinic acid (5-formyltetrahydrofolate) and 50% as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate)"
http://www.protherainc.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=MT1
Wow a pretty high amount of the toxic vitamin A palmitate though!

Honestly, I don't understand if us mamas can figure some of this out why it's such a secret to the rest of the world who is supposed to be doing this for a living.
#500 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:48 PM

tanya, how do you make kimchee? (Loaned out my NT)...thanks...hungry!:

typos likely

#501 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Canola is a goitrogen too?? There ya go Pat, a new one for me too!

No wonder my thyroid is trashed. Used to eat the crap a lot, you know, b/c it was supposed to be so healthy. Along with my soy too.
#502 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM

I swear the world is conspiring against me having any kind of dairy alternative. No soy- goitregen. Coconut! Nope, DS2's allergic. Nuts! Allergies again.... Pine nuts being the exception, but wait... that's a goitregen. Rice? Arsenic.

Was coming on to say that, speaking of goitregens, I realized that I forgot to refill my Armour Rx so I didn't have my "main" dose of Armour this morning. Luckily (?), I've been "hoarding" my smaller dose whenever I miss it and I had just enough to cover my dose.

Feeling a little frustrated. Dh's out "playing" at his friend's. I never get to go out without everyone b/c I don't drive and don't really have any friends here to go visit, even if I did drive. Must be nice to have a life.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#503 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Pat, fwiw, our main ferment in kimchee. Maybe people in more acute times of thyroid problems should avoid more, for us we mix brassicas in with other veggies in what I think are reasonable amounts. Have you had a full thyroid panel anytime recently? How's your energy? And have you had anything like B12 or iron/ferritin checked?
Nah, I figure I'm doing what I would anyway. I feel fine. We're being evaluated to purchase portable life insurance, so the nurse is coming out to draw a bunch of lab Wednesday. We'll see what "they" think.

I eat liver. Kelp, seafood. And a lot of greens and a bit of Bubbies kraut most days.

Pat

I have a blog.
#504 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Canola is a goitrogen too?? There ya go Pat, a new one for me too!

No wonder my thyroid is trashed. Used to eat the crap a lot, you know, b/c it was supposed to be so healthy. Along with my soy too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I swear the world is conspiring against me having any kind of dairy alternative. No soy- goitregen. Coconut! Nope, DS2's allergic. Nuts! Allergies again.... Pine nuts being the exception, but wait... that's a goitregen. Rice? Arsenic.
Maybe we should start a thread "Everything Bad for You" and see what is left...

rice, nah.

water, nah.

air, nah.

Kefir, YES! :

Pat

I have a blog.
#505 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

Feeling a little frustrated. Dh's out "playing" at his friend's. I never get to go out without everyone b/c I don't drive and don't really have any friends here to go visit, even if I did drive. Must be nice to have a life.
We LOVE YOU! :

:

:

Pat

I have a blog.
#506 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Oh for the love of Pete... what's the deal with arsenic in rice???
#507 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 PM

JR, can you do hemp milk?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#508 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe we should start a thread "Everything Bad for You" and see what is left...

rice, nah.

water, nah.

air, nah.

Kefir, YES! :

Pat
Except me, lol. I can't seem to tolerate it in even minute amounts...(water kefir).

typos likely

#509 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Heh. I mixed sodium ascorbate, glycine, 5-mthf, b12, calcium and zinc with crispy rice cereal, shredded coconut, and one tsp of peanut butter. Then I melted a handful of chocolate chips to glue it all together. Its yummy AND she's eating it!!!
I am sooooo jealous of those of you who can hide vitamins in chocolate. OK, plain jealous of the chocolate too .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#510 of 1021 Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
JR, can you do hemp milk?
We haven't trialled it yet and, at $5/quart, aren't likely to do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page