Amazing August Abundant Alternatives Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Are the beans expensive? I want to make organic vanilla extract. It is $23 for 8 ounces. Can I buy some beans from ya'?

Pat
The beans are roughly a buck a bean. I'm not sure what kind of "medium" you use but I was told 3 beans per 750ml, which I think is 25 oz? So if you buy your average bottle of vodka (not gold plated potato vodka, like I did) you probably can make 25oz for about 20? Sound about right?

You can absolutely have some of my beans. What on earth would I do with 20 vanilla beans?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#62 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
I just went to pick up my Azure coop order. For some reason there was no coconut milk ice cream or yogurt, the big reasons I put in an order. I was counting on them. Now it looks like I didn't order them! I think I'm losing my mind.

The gal that hosts the co-op is an old friend I haven't seen since Oct '06. My first two pick ups she wasn't home. Today she didn't recognize me at first. When I got back I looked in the mirror. I look old. My hair is graying. It is so thin, I got it cut short several months ago. It really has barely grown, and just looks thinner. The baby, age 22 months, barely has peach fuzz on her head for that matter. I feel pretty healthy on this diet. What is wrong with us? I've aged so much in the past 22 months. I'm only 36.

~Tracy

They randomly drop things from my orders, too - I think it's when it's not in stock.

How are your nails? I'd start by checking magnesium, B6 and biotin.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#63 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

They randomly drop things from my orders, too - I think it's when it's not in stock.

How are your nails? I'd start by checking magnesium, B6 and biotin.
My nails are fantastic.

Question about magnesium. When I was taking natural calm I could definitely get to bowel tolerance with a little over a tablespoon. Now that I'm taking pills it seems to have no effect on my bowels. Why is that? Last night I took 1200mg.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#64 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Ho hum, things are cranking along around here. I took care of animals and watered the garden while the fam was still sleeping. Fresh zucchini and eggs and tomatoes for breakfast... Then I cleaned out and organized one chest freezer, brought in some chickens to thaw and can, found some whole salmon that need to be dealt with, and sorted out all the cow milk sundries to be put in the less accessible freezer. Next came the pantry. All the grains went high and into the far corner and reorganized everything else so now there's space! I guess I'll pick things up a bit, and we're headed into the great backyard for berry picking... raspberries, currants, watermelon berries and blueberries today!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#65 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
The beans are roughly a buck a bean. I'm not sure what kind of "medium" you use but I was told 3 beans per 750ml, which I think is 25 oz? So if you buy your average bottle of vodka (not gold plated potato vodka, like I did) you probably can make 25oz for about 20? Sound about right?

You can absolutely have some of my beans. What on earth would I do with 20 vanilla beans?
I think you're off by 10 - 75mL is more like 2.5oz. Are the beans organic? That's an AMAZING price!

#66 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
My nails are fantastic.

Question about magnesium. When I was taking natural calm I could definitely get to bowel tolerance with a little over a tablespoon. Now that I'm taking pills it seems to have no effect on my bowels. Why is that? Last night I took 1200mg.
Then I don't know how to help with your hair except it definitely sounds like *something's* up and it's probably a clue.

Weird about the difference with magnesium - I saw the opposite. Maybe they're not dissolving in your gut? What form of mag are they?

watermelon berries?

#67 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I think you're off by 10 - 75mL is more like 2.5oz. Are the beans organic? That's an AMAZING price!
I'm not following you. 750ml = 25oz. that is what size the vodka you buy to make the vanilla is. I was told to use 3 beans for 750ml. Is that not correct? Seems to taste fine in the batch I already did.

The beans are organic. The vodka I bought isn't. I didn't see any organic vodka although I imagine it must exist.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#68 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not following you. 750ml = 25oz. that is what size the vodka you buy to make the vanilla is. I was told to use 3 beans for 750ml. Is that not correct? Seems to taste fine in the batch I already did.

The beans are organic. The vodka I bought isn't. I didn't see any organic vodka although I imagine it must exist.
Okay, *I'm* off by 10. I was reading 75mL instead of 750mL

So what's your bean source?

#69 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Okay, *I'm* off by 10. I was reading 75mL instead of 750mL

So what's your bean source?
Fronteir Wholesale. I order with friends every couple of months. If we order more than $250 shipping is free. They have lots of spices & health & beauty stuff. No other foods, though.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#70 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM

When I was having trouble with Taslyn's hair, Panserbjorne recommended iodine. We started it and nutrient tea at the same time and its really seems to have made a difference.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#71 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
When I was having trouble with Taslyn's hair, Panserbjorne recommended iodine. We started it and nutrient tea at the same time and its really seems to have made a difference.
This is interesting. I've been thinking of adding iodine, and my hair is very fine and thin (but my nails are strong), and DD has very little hair and it is very fine as well. I can't wait till she has enough hair for pigtails! How are you supplementing iodine? And how do you make your nutrient tea?
#72 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Stop with the technical jargon. Let's get back to simple talk. lol.

So I can either order 2 vanilla beans or 20. I'm tempted to do the 20 b/c they are "bourbon" vanilla beans and I"ve heard good things and they should make good vanilla.

But what else does one do with vanilla beans? I know Kathy mentioned using in creme brule. Would I shave the bean or carve out the inside? Or what?
I got my vanilla beans from www.saffron.com. I use them in ice cream, baking, creme brulee, anywhere I'd use vanilla but want a little more vanilla-y flavor. When I use one, I split it, scrape out the inside and put the inside-goo in whatever I'm making. If it's something that's cooking, like yogurt or ice cream, I stick the whole bean in there, then take it out when it's done cooking. If not, I stick the extra bean (minus the gooey inside) in with the rest of my "extract" jar. Maybe I just bake a lot, but I don't seem to have a problem using them up... I'm a vanilla junkie!! Along with my pine nut habit....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#73 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Hmm.
I wonder how the pine nut ricotta would work as a cream cheese sub, if allowed to drain a little. I still haven't got more pine nuts to try it even but...
Then maybe you could double up your addictions, Kathy, and attempt pine nut "cheese" cake.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#74 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Btw, the article notes: Ulcerative colitis has been reported following administration of vitamin B6, which is metabolized with generation of hydrogen peroxide as a by-product.

And, Ulcerative colitis has been reported following administration of iron as a dietary supplement. Iron catalyzes the conversion of hydrogen peroxide to the more active hydroxyl radical.

Pat
Interesting. My first several months of pregnancy were extremely painful & I ended up being diagnosed with a mild form of colitis. I couldn't really take any medication for it (only safe one for pregnancy didn't work plus I was allergic to it). I started eating yogurt/probiotics every day & mostly felt better. This makes me wonder if it was the prenatal vitamins that made things go crazy. Hmmm.

My DD's rash is back I'm kind of at a loss. Now I'm thinking it could be watermelon - as random as that seems. The 1st time she had it she got a rash & diarrhea, but she was also on amoxicillin at the time & the Dr. thought it was probably that. She has had watermelon multiple times since then and not had any reaction, but she had watermelon & cantaloupe on Sunday & got a rash. Then she had some Monday & got worse rash & diarrhea. I can't think of anything else she had that was semi-unusual for her to eat. Diarrhea means it it is probably something she ate, not a contact thing I'm guessing. How long should I wait before trying it again?
#75 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
Interesting. My first several months of pregnancy were extremely painful & I ended up being diagnosed with a mild form of colitis. I couldn't really take any medication for it (only safe one for pregnancy didn't work plus I was allergic to it). I started eating yogurt/probiotics every day & mostly felt better. This makes me wonder if it was the prenatal vitamins that made things go crazy. Hmmm.

My DD's rash is back I'm kind of at a loss. Now I'm thinking it could be watermelon - as random as that seems. The 1st time she had it she got a rash & diarrhea, but she was also on amoxicillin at the time & the Dr. thought it was probably that. She has had watermelon multiple times since then and not had any reaction, but she had watermelon & cantaloupe on Sunday & got a rash. Then she had some Monday & got worse rash & diarrhea. I can't think of anything else she had that was semi-unusual for her to eat. Diarrhea means it it is probably something she ate, not a contact thing I'm guessing. How long should I wait before trying it again?
Sorry to hear about the rash. Something to think about since you mentioned cantaloupe. I've heard cantaloupe is moldy. We are trying to get the kids on a "yeast" diet and were told not to eat peanuts or cantalope b/c of the mold. Maybe its a mold thing?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#76 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Hmm.
I wonder how the pine nut ricotta would work as a cream cheese sub, if allowed to drain a little. I still haven't got more pine nuts to try it even but...
Then maybe you could double up your addictions, Kathy, and attempt pine nut "cheese" cake.
I was going to make the cashew "cheesecake" for my birthday next week. But DH wants me to make another batch of creme brulee when he gets up here on Friday. So maybe we'll just be all dessert all the time. That's a whole food group, right?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#77 of 1021 Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I was going to make the cashew "cheesecake" for my birthday next week. But DH wants me to make another batch of creme brulee when he gets up here on Friday. So maybe we'll just be all dessert all the time. That's a whole food group, right?
Which day is your birthday? My mom's is on the 15th.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#78 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
As for my gluten trial, it has been 3 days and I can't say I have had any negative effects from it.

In fact, I haven't had any hypoglycemic stuff since then. I also had no bloating for a long time on Sunday, which is rare. For the past few months, I have only occasionally had no bloating for an hour or so, and then it comes back as soon as I eat. But Sunday I was eating without getting bloated.

So, what gives? Any ideas?
And yet, it looks like you *have* had effects. Since you weren't at baseline before, my inclination is to say you're putting another layer on top, rather than peeling down to the root of things. My digestion was great until I cut out gluten. Then it was a wild ride of craziness. Now it's finally settling down again, in a much happier place than before. I say it's like the gluten was a heavy blanket, damping any GI symptoms. Remove the gluten, and suddenly what I eat makes a difference.

Not what you want to hear. Sorry But I'm one of those 'gluten is evil' people, who think it should be avoided if there are *any* unknown variables. I have no problem with eating it again once healed and healthy, but it can just cause too many issues, and be so sneaky about it, too.

#79 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 AM

So, how did my cheese missing, pine nut loving self NOT MAKE THAT RICOTTA before this??????????

Had it on pizza tonight. Holy wow.

In other news, I think we are making some kind of nutrient progress. Corn is passing (basic tortillas, nothing crazy). DS is handling a bit of fruit (moderate sals stuff, not apples and berries, but still!). He at homemade pumpkin pie filling (with all the regular spices), with no problems (previously, both the spices and the squash starch would have been questionable).

And get this. DS is pooping. By himself. Every day for three days now. Some days more than once. With the exception of swine flu induced crazy diarrhea, he has not pooped without enema assistance since March. And besides trialing a bit of corn, we have not done anything new (and I refuse to credit corn with anything good!). I am so freaking happy! I think we are finally getting his zinc levels up, which is helping his stomach acid, which helps everything else in the known universe. Better starch and sugar digestion, and more sals tolerance. No idea why he's suddenly pooping, but I'll take it!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#80 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 AM

who has lysine issues? Canker sores, right?

"At a more acidic pH, the enzyme biotinidase cleaves biocytin to produce biotin and lysine, or..."

"At a more alkaline pH, the enzyme has been shown to become biotinylated while also generating free lysine."

Biotinidase is used for absorbing biotin in the gut. (among other things)

#81 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
So, how did my cheese missing, pine nut loving self NOT MAKE THAT RICOTTA before this??????????

Had it on pizza tonight. Holy wow.

In other news, I think we are making some kind of nutrient progress. Corn is passing (basic tortillas, nothing crazy). DS is handling a bit of fruit (moderate sals stuff, not apples and berries, but still!). He at homemade pumpkin pie filling (with all the regular spices), with no problems (previously, both the spices and the squash starch would have been questionable).

And get this. DS is pooping. By himself. Every day for three days now. Some days more than once. With the exception of swine flu induced crazy diarrhea, he has not pooped without enema assistance since March. And besides trialing a bit of corn, we have not done anything new (and I refuse to credit corn with anything good!). I am so freaking happy! I think we are finally getting his zinc levels up, which is helping his stomach acid, which helps everything else in the known universe. Better starch and sugar digestion, and more sals tolerance. No idea why he's suddenly pooping, but I'll take it!
::

I'm thinking that corn tortillas (likely soaked in lime) are a very different beast than corn on the cob. I can't say there's been a clear pass of corn on the cob, but we were eating tortillas and tamales without major issues. Weird.

Woo hoo on the poop! For us, the key has been magnesium (nowhere near bowel tolerance, just *some*). I think there's also a lot of neuro/hormonal control of everything that gets totally overlooked - serotonin, dopamine, thyroid, etc. If he's absorbing nutrients better, I bet he's making those chemicals better, which would make him poop better. I definitely saw major changes for the better when I first swapped folic acid for folate.

mmm... pumpkin pie...

So all my food preferences have changed, and I'm trying to pick out what it is. I credit the biotin more than being pregnant : but it seems like maybe I'm no longer craving sulfur like mad (biotin's another sulfur supplement), I no longer need an ungodly amount of saturated fat (my cholesterol is suddenly normal), and I no longer crave salt in the slightest (I'm thinking my adrenals are VERY happy with the normal cholesterol). I'm wanting raw foods, fresh veggies, not broccoli. I wonder if I'd finally like cucumber now.

And I forgot to brag! I just got a green star juicer on craigslist for $200 (retails for $400-500). This thing can do ANYthing. And with my new found normal food preferences for fresh stuff, I think I'm going to be going nuts at the farmer's market on thursday... :

#82 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 AM

I have been able to get a *little* mag in him directly, and Epsom salts baths, but if anything, less lately because of the swine flu. The folate is interesting though - I started the Perque vites with folate for me about 4-6 weeks ago I think, before that I was taking a prenatal with folic acid. I'll definitely look at trying to get some folate into him directly, that could be a big factor in the pooping. And yeah, I figure there is some general magic likely if he's getting some decent nutrient absorption starting to happen.

mmm... pumpkin pie...

It is legal breakfast food in this house . I have no qualms about using a little sugar and spice to sell a lot of pumpkin, eggs, and coconut milk! DD eats it by the pie plate full, and I couldn't believe DS ate it too (squishy NEVER works for him).

So all my food preferences have changed, and I'm trying to pick out what it is. I credit the biotin more than being pregnant : but it seems like maybe I'm no longer craving sulfur like mad (biotin's another sulfur supplement), I no longer need an ungodly amount of saturated fat (my cholesterol is suddenly normal), and I no longer crave salt in the slightest (I'm thinking my adrenals are VERY happy with the normal cholesterol). I'm wanting raw foods, fresh veggies, not broccoli. I wonder if I'd finally like cucumber now.

And I forgot to brag! I just got a green star juicer on craigslist for $200 (retails for $400-500). This thing can do ANYthing. And with my new found normal food preferences for fresh stuff, I think I'm going to be going nuts at the farmer's market on thursday... :

LOL - never get between a pg woman and the veggies she *must* have!! Sounds like way healthier cravings than I had . And I'm envious of your juicer...
[/QUOTE]

OK, time for bed!

ETA: OK, totally lost part of what I tried to write here, but I'm too tired to fix it. Night all!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#83 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 AM

flyby question:

are there any B 12 sublingual supps that are corn free, and folic acid free? I want to do a vitacost (or a similar site) order and can't find one.

everyone enjoy your day!

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#84 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Which day is your birthday? My mom's is on the 15th.
Monday. I'm so OLD. The lines around my eyes are spawning more lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
I have no idea!! I've been yapping about it for a month now. It's really good with noodles, sauce, and sausage as a baked ziti too....

#85 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
And yet, it looks like you *have* had effects. Since you weren't at baseline before, my inclination is to say you're putting another layer on top, rather than peeling down to the root of things. My digestion was great until I cut out gluten. Then it was a wild ride of craziness. Now it's finally settling down again, in a much happier place than before. I say it's like the gluten was a heavy blanket, damping any GI symptoms. Remove the gluten, and suddenly what I eat makes a difference.

Not what you want to hear. Sorry But I'm one of those 'gluten is evil' people, who think it should be avoided if there are *any* unknown variables. I have no problem with eating it again once healed and healthy, but it can just cause too many issues, and be so sneaky about it, too.
It IS what I want to hear. Self-denial is who I am. Self-discipline is who I am. I was the 7yo sitting inside at the table doing homework from 3-10pm every day while I could hear all the other kids playing outside and laughing and shrieking with excitement. Self-denial and self-discipline is the only way I know how to live.

But who I am is also a scientist by nature. And I'm not finding evidence to bear out the hypothesis that gluten is my problem. As much as I want to believe your rationalization, to cling to the idea that gluten-free would help, it unfortunately strays too far into the zone of wishful-thinking.

I think the bigger factor, by far, is stress. I've been under tons of stress my whole life. It got much worse after DS was born, which coincides with my symptoms. I think I felt better for those few days after being glutened because of the load it took off me. Not only did I not have to shop/prep/cook/clean for 2 whole meals in a row, which allowed me to actually get out of the house for a change without having to work frantically the day before and after to get caught up, but also because of the load off my mind that comes from knowing that it is an option.

We've done the restricted diet thing for 6 years and change now. DH has completely lost faith in it, I know. We've just booked a vacation for the end of this month. It will be my first ever vacation where I don't have to spend the whole time cooking and cleaning. Before, all we could ever do is go to a cabin in the country so I could prepare all our meals. Not restful for me at all. I was refusing to go on a vacation since DS was born because I didn't see how I was going to do all the cooking and cleaning in a strange place while taking care of DS in a non-baby-proof environment and with the sleep disturbances of DS being in a strange place at night. But now we decided to book 8 nights in a resort and eat whatever at the restaurants. All I will have to do is take care of DS. Let's see how well I feel from that rest. It sounds too good to be true. I can't imagine not doing dishes. The last time I didn't do dishes was the day DS was born, when my mother did them.

I'm theorizing that eating under pressure is a significant portion of my problem. During the fight-or-flight response, digestive enzymes and stomach acid production are put on hold, right? I would probably feel much better if I wasn't always wolfing down food while running around doing things like I have been doing since DS was born (again, the timing coincides with my symptoms). (I know pre-baby I used to get annoyed at DH always getting up every few minutes during dinner. So I tried to anticipate all of his needs and bring everything to the table that he could possibly want.) Anyway, I find I feel better when I eat in front of the TV. Probably because I am sitting still and relaxing.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#86 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 AM

I can't believe it is August already. Time flies when you are having fun. Oh, I mean. . .never mind.

Keagan's doctor turned down my request to re-test his allergies. Said it would all show up negative even if it should be positive since he has not been eating it. The test is a blood test through U.S. Biotek. Ideas? Her idea was to just start adding things back in every week and see what he reacts to. I'd like a better idea of what we are still up against first.

I'm a slacker and haven't read any of the August thread yet and doubt I will. Sorry! I'm so exhausted - it is almost 7am and I can't keep my eyes open. I've got to get more shut eye at night.

to all.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#87 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Susannah, I don't know much about allergies, but just using logic I would think it depends on how long it takes the body to stop making antibodies to something if it hasn't been exposed. Would it be a good idea to add in a food if the body is still on high alert against that food?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#88 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Birthday, Jessica!!! :

Pat

I have a blog.
#89 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
::

Trust me on this, it can't juice a marble. Don't even try. But congratulations!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#90 of 1021 Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Happy Birthday, Jessica!!! :

Pat
Jessica,

Is today really the day? I didn't know you shared a birthday with my sweetest, goodest, son.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page