Amazing August Abundant Alternatives Chat - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 1021 Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Figs are high in calcium. I'm going to have to get some more figs and make the "fig newton" cookies again. I wish I lived closer to my brother. He was trying to figure out how to use all the ones on his tree. And I can get almonds again, at least for me (since DS can't have them). We do use bone broth alot, though we could probably use more. Especially DS (the beef broth just isn't as good as the chicken broth). What else can I do with figs? Can I wrap them in bacon like a date and grill them?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
#182 of 1021 Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Hmmm...again, it doesn't make sense that we 'can't get enough calcium' from whole food. Most adults didn't evolve drinking milk, I imagine. So, they'd get "enough" from other sources, probably raw or cooked plants. I'd always 'heard' that the calcium from plants was more bio-available. I understand that seems opposed to 'calcium binding with oxalates'.


Pat
Yeah, ditto the bones. It's not even that hard to get a bunch of calcium from food sources, you just have to work on it. Kinda like getting 800mcg folate from food. Doable, but you have to pay attention. My rough test of my bone broth was at least 400mg/cup. Soup as an appetizer, or lots of gravy with most meals would easily cover 500mg/meal - which is the max they say you can reasonably absorb from supplements. Times three meals a day = 1500mg. And turnip greens and collards sound a lot more traditional to my southern roots than spinach and chard. BTW, kathy, I think of chard as more of a mag source than calcium. And I have a sneaking suspicion it tops the oxalate list. Okay, not the top of the list, but still up there: http://growingtaste.com/oxalicacid.shtml

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#183 of 1021 Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
BTW, kathy, I think of chard as more of a mag source than calcium. And I have a sneaking suspicion it tops the oxalate list. Okay, not the top of the list, but still up there: http://growingtaste.com/oxalicacid.shtml
Go figure, my body wants more magnesium than calcium... I never even used to like swiss chard. And I've been having it a lot this summer (along with my pine nuts).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
#184 of 1021 Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Go figure, my body wants more magnesium than calcium... I never even used to like swiss chard. And I've been having it a lot this summer (along with my pine nuts).
mmm, chard with pine nuts and dried currants, dressed with oil and vinegar...

You know the funny thing? Those open calcium channels (from not getting enough calcium, there are also a bunch of other things that can open them too) get closed by magnesium.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#185 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 AM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post





:



Pat
TY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Okay, I need a soaked oatmeal recipe that's gluten, casein, egg, soy, treenut, peanut and coconut free which doesn't require water kefir (since I don't have any). Takers?
You can use lemon juice or vinegar as the acid, and add some buckwheat groats/flour - oats don't have much phytase, but buckwheat does, so it helps break down the phytates in the oats. I think that's why people say to add flour to soaking oats (wheat is also high in phytase).

And if that wasn't what you were asking, I take no responsibility for my brain tonight, it is in serious sleep deprivation mode!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#186 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 AM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
You can use lemon juice or vinegar as the acid, and add some buckwheat groats/flour - oats don't have much phytase, but buckwheat does, so it helps break down the phytates in the oats. I think that's why people say to add flour to soaking oats (wheat is also high in phytase).

And if that wasn't what you were asking, I take no responsibility for my brain tonight, it is in serious sleep deprivation mode!
TY!! That's exactly what I was asking. This will be my first foray into soaking grains so I don't want to mess up but I was Googling for instructions earlier (since I still don't have any kind of book which describes it ) and they were all gluten, dairy and egg eating nut freaks. (I mean that in the best possible way, really I do. I'm just jealous. )

Have you tried clove oil for his teeth? I've heard it works wonders. Hoping you get some rest tonight. And believe me, you're not the only one who has come onto this board and only understood something like "I want peanut butter cookies for breakfast." (Speaking of which, what I wouldn't do for peanut butter... *sigh* Too bad that failed... Oh well! Moving on..)
I've been considering trialling DS1 with eggs. It would be his first purposeful food trial since we removed his allergens in April of last year. Dairy's IgE, so that I won't trial, and he's still reacting to vinegar in things so... but I haven't done any real gut-healing measures with him. Hmm. Opinions?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#187 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 03:48 AM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's vacation and I get to sleep in, so it's okay for me to be up insanely late. Or something.

What type of reaction have you seen to eggs?

For us, intolerance reactions go up and down based on detoxification status. Is he taking any supps at all? For us it's not gut-related, at least not much. He's older, so it's hard to know, but how's his poop? in case it is more gut-related for you.
tanyalynn is offline  
#188 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 03:56 AM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
It's vacation and I get to sleep in, so it's okay for me to be up insanely late. Or something.

What type of reaction have you seen to eggs?

For us, intolerance reactions go up and down based on detoxification status. Is he taking any supps at all? For us it's not gut-related, at least not much. He's older, so it's hard to know, but how's his poop? in case it is more gut-related for you.
I have no clue what his reactions to eggs may be, tbh. I had no clue he was reacting to them until we had his blood test done and we just never trialled them, just took them out. Period. He hasn't had any accidental exposures to them either, to my knowledge, in order for me to even hazard a guess. I never knew he was reacting to wheat/gluten either... but he's since had accidental "trials" for me to figure out some of his reactions to that.
The only supps he's on are some cheap gummy vites and vitamin C... He was on D but I've been slacking on everyone else's supps besides my own. As it is, we have to "sneak" the gummy vites to DS1 b/c DS2 can't have them b/c of coconut oil.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#189 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 AM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before I forget, do you have any online place that has your 5-week meal rotation? Or even 1 or 2 weeks' worth? I'm trying to figure out how to make meals more convenient around here, and I think I need to do better with grouping veggies--cut up LOTS of cauliflower, for example, and then have some cut up for the next night, like that. Efficiencies of scale. Any suggestions?

What is the whole list of his allergens? Anything else you cut out with those test results? And how long ago did you take out gluten? To me, DS's list of food sensitivities (all IgG as far as I can tell, nothing looks IgE anyway) is pretty short, just 5 foods. I tend to think his gut is relatively okay, all things considered, and we just need to shore up nutrient stuff and deal with our underlying issues, and then his gut will be good naturally (plus commonsense stuff like kimchee for life). So we see ups and downs based on detoxification.
tanyalynn is offline  
#190 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 AM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Before I forget, do you have any online place that has your 5-week meal rotation? Or even 1 or 2 weeks' worth? I'm trying to figure out how to make meals more convenient around here, and I think I need to do better with grouping veggies--cut up LOTS of cauliflower, for example, and then have some cut up for the next night, like that. Efficiencies of scale. Any suggestions?

What is the whole list of his allergens? Anything else you cut out with those test results? And how long ago did you take out gluten? To me, DS's list of food sensitivities (all IgG as far as I can tell, nothing looks IgE anyway) is pretty short, just 5 foods. I tend to think his gut is relatively okay, all things considered, and we just need to shore up nutrient stuff and deal with our underlying issues, and then his gut will be good naturally (plus commonsense stuff like kimchee for life). So we see ups and downs based on detoxification.
No. I considered putting it online, but I'm honestly embarrassed by the state of our nutrition at present. We are sorely lacking in the area of fresh produce. What started out as something "just to get me through" turned into what I have now, although it honestly looks so much better now than it did to begin. I started making it in November during the height of HG. It's purpose, at the time, was to prevent me from having to think about food for most of the day- which was, of course, to help prevent me from vomiting so much. I guess it worked since I'm assuming I probably would've been hospitalized much sooner than January if I hadn't had it in place and, after I got it implemented, I dropped from vomiting 15+ times per day to only 5 or 6 and I stopped losing weight so quickly.
Besides which, I just managed to get the lunch and breakfast parts put in and they're abominable at present. I have "cereal" and "biscuits" as my morning meal for far too many days. I still haven't managed to wrap my mind around stew for breakfast.
I have no suggestions. I've been trying to figure that out myself, honestly, especially with the new additions to the meal plan. Before this, my poor boys had been subsisting on hot dogs and french fries on a LOT of days. With all of the set-backs in my life in the last few years (deaths of: gran, father, uncle, foster sister and mom, miscarriage, diagnosed with Hashimoto's, birth of DS2, unexpected HG pregnancy, suicide of best friend, just to name the major players), I didn't realize how badly our nutrition had deteriorated until I started thinking about putting it on paper. I went from making fresh, homemade bread every couple of days, cutting up organic chickens myself and tomato sauce from scratch (fresh tomatoes, fresh parsley, fresh oregano and basil, fresh mushrooms... etc) to hot dogs and french fries for lunch. Maybe that explains to some degree why I am so incredibly grateful for the help my remedy has been and why I say it's helping me to start feeling like me again.

DS1's allergens are: IgG: wheat/gluten and eggs and IgE: dairy. Lamb too, but I can't remember what antibodies and we never ate it anyway- although I love lamb. We've kinda sorta removed soy, but not as completely as I'd like to, based on his reactions (and my thyroid issues).
DS2's allergens (not based on tests) are nuts, peanuts, coconut and strawberries.
Gluten has been out since April of last year, same with eggs and dairy. Soy... Um. See above. There are a couple of products I use which contain soy flour, but I tend to use them minimally. DS2's allergens have been out of our diet (for the most part) for... almost 2 years, I guess. Wow.
We also limit brassicas due to their goitregenic nature. Anything on anyone's "list" is avoided by the whole family, for the most part. As I keep telling Kathy, I would lose my mind having to cook different meals for everyone.
Yeah, sorry for the novel...

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#191 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 AM
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are doing a short camping trip this weekend.
Just nearby at a campground that is close to our favorite beach with waves. We are excited, but it's a lot of work prepping for camping.
Also, my youngest has a sore throat. So I'm hoping the remedy I picked for him will work. fingers crossed.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#192 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
 
AnnieMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Africa
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope it is OK to post this here - something I saw on the Mama is... blog http://www.mama-is.com/
a study about how toxins in breastmilk cause autism ...

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
AnnieMarie is offline  
#193 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 AM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieMarie View Post
Hope it is OK to post this here - something I saw on the Mama is... blog http://www.mama-is.com/
a study about how toxins in breastmilk cause autism ...
Unbelievable. First off, isn't autism increasing amongst the formula fed set as well? And doesn't formula have environmental toxins? Not to mention the bottles?

Sometimes I just hate the world we live in.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#194 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Unbelievable. First off, isn't autism increasing amongst the formula fed set as well? And doesn't formula have environmental toxins? Not to mention the bottles?

Sometimes I just hate the world we live in.
While I'm sure all of that is true, you have to take into consideration that humans are the top of the food chain and so we take in not only toxins from the environment but toxins from our food and, being the top of the food chain, we are eating things which have concentrated the environmental toxins by eating other things which have concentrated environmental toxins by eating other things...
Not saying that this makes me reconsider breastfeeding by any stretch of the imagination. I can't remember who it was, but there was a lady some years ago who already did something similar and sent her breastmilk out to be analyzed. From what I recall of that, the recommendation was still the same: breastfeeding is BEST.
Besides which, we're all working on clearing our bodies of toxins, right? So our children will have a small step up in that regard. If anything, this doesn't say "reconsider breastfeeding" but "reconsider your lifestyle choices".
:

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#195 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I've been considering trialling DS1 with eggs. It would be his first purposeful food trial since we removed his allergens in April of last year. Dairy's IgE, so that I won't trial, and he's still reacting to vinegar in things so... but I haven't done any real gut-healing measures with him. Hmm. Opinions?
I'd look at molybdenum first

Have there been any studies about the toxins in cow's milk and formula? Them cows are exposed to the same stuff we are... It's like everyone assumes that they're perfectly clean when the toxins show up in breastmilk.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#196 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I'd look at molybdenum first

Have there been any studies about the toxins in cow's milk and formula? Them cows are exposed to the same stuff we are... It's like everyone assumes that they're perfectly clean when the toxins show up in breastmilk.
It's on my list of things (supps) to ask my ND about. I can't find any in the store and I'm presently looking online. I keep forgetting about it, but it's on my list now.
I don't know what I'd do without you.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#197 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah! Soaked oatmeal!
So, I soaked my oatmeal last night using lemon juice and a couple tablespoons of buckwheat flour (my first time using buckwheat flour too, btw). Cooked it up this morning with a little vanilla in the water. Added a little sugar and I could still taste the lemon too strongly, so I figured I'd add some cinnamon. Tasted it again, but I could still taste the lemon. Added another teaspoon of sugar and tasted it again. Well, then it tasted like apple crisp without the apples (or the fat, which makes it crisp ). So I added a couple tablespoons of apple sauce. Now I just wish I had a good tasting fat to go in it. It's yummy anyway.
Thanks, mamafish!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#198 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Goodness, their understanding of toxic load and immune function is painful, even to me, and I don't know nearly all I want to. The biggest problem, and they totally miss this, every time, is the toxins our kids get in-utero from us. THAT'S what caused my kids' problems. The higher a toxic load mom has, the higher her baby has, and the more at-risk they'll be for all sorts of stuff, like food intolerances, and kids with lower toxic load get less toxins from their nursing mom. Hello, at-risk baby on cow's milk or soymilk formula? At-risk baby putting weird-a$$ stuff into their digestive tract (read: immune system) so it's got the wrong pH and gut dysbiosis starting on day 1? We are not so simple as this, and they gloss over all sorts of stuff (besides what I think is a total lack of data saying long-term nursing is related to an increase in any health issues, ASD-related or not). Argh.

But the toxic load in breastmilk is real and disturbing. While I was nursing my son, and we were both on all our supps, his vitamin C need slowly tapered down to 3 grams per day, and plateaued there for a long time. After I weaned him, it went down to less than 0.5 gram, and it wasn't due to me changing any of his other supplements, it was me. Somewhat depressing, but among the available choices, I still don't see anything better than human milk.
tanyalynn is offline  
#199 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
You know the funny thing? Those open calcium channels (from not getting enough calcium, there are also a bunch of other things that can open them too) get closed by magnesium.
Is his a good thing or a bad thing. I got Mag (citrate) at Vitamin World because I ran out without getting more (glycinate). I says it contains "vegetable magnesium stearate". The lady called while I was in the store and asked, and they said there was no corn in it. But I'm worrying. I've had a headache for the last two days, and my back has been bothering me. Yes I know I was corned on Tuesday but this seems to be lingering (and my T is being obstinate on my keyboard so if any are missing that I didn't catch -- sorry!). So I emailed the company to ask what "vegetable" i is.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
#200 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Is his a good thing or a bad thing. I got Mag (citrate) at Vitamin World because I ran out without getting more (glycinate). I says it contains "vegetable magnesium stearate". The lady called while I was in the store and asked, and they said there was no corn in it. But I'm worrying. I've had a headache for the last two days, and my back has been bothering me. Yes I know I was corned on Tuesday but this seems to be lingering (and my T is being obstinate on my keyboard so if any are missing that I didn't catch -- sorry!). So I emailed the company to ask what "vegetable" i is.
I interpret it as, open calcium ion channels are bad. So if they're going to be open for some reason - low calcium intake, high glutamate, inflammation, whatever - then at least get enough magnesium to patch it up. IOW, open calcium channels increases your need for magnesium. I think. Would you rather create a relative deficiency by not getting it, or go ahead and address that need? And would you rather stick with that increased need, or go looking for the cause?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#201 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I interpret it as, open calcium ion channels are bad. So if they're going to be open for some reason - low calcium intake, high glutamate, inflammation, whatever - then at least get enough magnesium to patch it up. IOW, open calcium channels increases your need for magnesium. I think. Would you rather create a relative deficiency by not getting it, or go ahead and address that need? And would you rather stick with that increased need, or go looking for the cause?
So if I close it by getting enough magnesium, then maybe I'll actually be able to tolerate the calcium better? That would be interesting. All my calcium supplements are at home. Maybe I'll have my DH bring them up tonight... I'll experiment...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
#202 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
TY!! That's exactly what I was asking. This will be my first foray into soaking grains so I don't want to mess up but I was Googling for instructions earlier (since I still don't have any kind of book which describes it ) and they were all gluten, dairy and egg eating nut freaks. (I mean that in the best possible way, really I do. I'm just jealous. )

Have you tried clove oil for his teeth? I've heard it works wonders. Hoping you get some rest tonight. And believe me, you're not the only one who has come onto this board and only understood something like "I want peanut butter cookies for breakfast." (Speaking of which, what I wouldn't do for peanut butter... *sigh* Too bad that failed... Oh well! Moving on..)
Oh, I'm glad the oatmeal thing worked. I hear you on the dairy freaks, LOL - most TF stuff has lots of gluten and dairy, and I'm also jealous! Eggs we can do, so I will not complain.

We've tried EVERYTHING for his teeth (and DDs, I've had 5 years of horrible teething now). I think the biggest improvement has come from Shannon's "balance your EFAs" theory (we haven't increased Omega 3's too much, but we've cut Omega 6's hugely, and I think it's helped all kinds of inflammatory symptoms, including teething pain). However, he's at the cutting through part, and that's always miserable. Only two more teeth after this, however - and then I am having a MAJOR party!!!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#203 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Oh, I'm glad the oatmeal thing worked. I hear you on the dairy freaks, LOL - most TF stuff has lots of gluten and dairy, and I'm also jealous! Eggs we can do, so I will not complain.

We've tried EVERYTHING for his teeth (and DDs, I've had 5 years of horrible teething now). I think the biggest improvement has come from Shannon's "balance your EFAs" theory (we haven't increased Omega 3's too much, but we've cut Omega 6's hugely, and I think it's helped all kinds of inflammatory symptoms, including teething pain). However, he's at the cutting through part, and that's always miserable. Only two more teeth after this, however - and then I am having a MAJOR party!!!
Yay, I'm glad something's working!

In other news, my hair is short! I think it's now all post-allergy diet growth, and what got cut off was a bunch of nasty tangled extra blond stuff. No dye or bleach or anything, just not-so-happy looking hair. So now I'm kind of wondering about hair, and how it relates to health. My mom, dad and sister all have/had heads of black/brown hair, while mine is blond (though it happens to match my grandpa's exactly). I started with jet black hair, then it all fell out and turned red, then white-blond. Dd's has done the exact same thing (minus the red). She's got some nasty blond long bits as well, so much so that I want to hack it all off so that we can end the brushing trauma - but then she'll have straight brownish hair instead of what can pass for blond curls. Isn't biotin (my current deficiency of choice ) important for hair?

I remember other people talking about their eye color changing as they went off allergens and got healthier, and didn't PB say something about brown and blue eyes being the only 'true' eye color in iridology? I just have this weird nagging feeling that somehow I shouldn't have the hair color I have, but that just boggles my mind to think about. So much self image is attached to hair color!

Okay, enough tangent...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#204 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Yay, I'm glad something's working!

In other news, my hair is short! I think it's now all post-allergy diet growth, and what got cut off was a bunch of nasty tangled extra blond stuff. No dye or bleach or anything, just not-so-happy looking hair. So now I'm kind of wondering about hair, and how it relates to health. My mom, dad and sister all have/had heads of black/brown hair, while mine is blond (though it happens to match my grandpa's exactly). I started with jet black hair, then it all fell out and turned red, then white-blond. Dd's has done the exact same thing (minus the red). She's got some nasty blond long bits as well, so much so that I want to hack it all off so that we can end the brushing trauma - but then she'll have straight brownish hair instead of what can pass for blond curls. Isn't biotin (my current deficiency of choice ) important for hair?

I remember other people talking about their eye color changing as they went off allergens and got healthier, and didn't PB say something about brown and blue eyes being the only 'true' eye color in iridology? I just have this weird nagging feeling that somehow I shouldn't have the hair color I have, but that just boggles my mind to think about. So much self image is attached to hair color!

Okay, enough tangent...
nak
i read something once about iron being linked with hair color... the more excess iron available, the darker the hair supposedly

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#205 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
nak
i read something once about iron being linked with hair color... the more excess iron available, the darker the hair supposedly
: Adding ferritin to my next set of labs... I'm definitely a low iron person, or at least was pre-elimination. I'm not convinced the rest of the family is/was high iron, though...

eta: I swear the computer keeps adding icons to my messages...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#206 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
: Adding ferritin to my next set of labs... I'm definitely a low iron person, or at least was pre-elimination. I'm not convinced the rest of the family is/was high iron, though...

eta: I swear the computer keeps adding icons to my messages...
Do I have you on fb? You should see my family. I'm pretty sure i've mentioned that I'm Native, right? Yeah. I'm blonde. And white. With blue/green eyes. My family is NOT. So I hear you.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#207 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Do I have you on fb? You should see my family. I'm pretty sure i've mentioned that I'm Native, right? Yeah. I'm blonde. And white. With blue/green eyes. My family is NOT. So I hear you.
Yeah, I looked through some pics. Isn't Marius blond too? Got any theories for your family? Even though my hair matches my grandpa's, that's more of my grown up, not-too-blond hair. I have no clue what his was like as a kid...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#208 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my theory is that i inherited crazy from both sides.
Seriously, though, my affi (Icelandic for grandpa- mom's dad) was very blonde, from what i understand, and killed himself the month before my mom was born. My grandma, who had hypoT, was also blonde and was committed to an asylum for a "nervous breakdown" for a month when my dad was little.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#209 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We met counting rules... Seeing all those results far off the charts made me feel a little woozy. But I understand that its all because of deranged mineral transport caused by the mercury and that each results may or may not be important. Here we go...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#210 of 1021 Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MtnMama, wow, I'm sorry, and yet it's a concrete thing to work on. But wishing you didn't have to anyway.
tanyalynn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off