Amazing August Abundant Alternatives Chat - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Good idea mamafish. I'll ask for add ons to test for antimony, platinum and tin.

I have a milk thistle glycerite from mountain rose herbs that I've been trying to get T used to. Sometimes she'll take it and mostly not. So I bought a bunch of seeds and I'm going to find a way to get those into her.

I started modiflan here a few weeks ago. I haven't opened a capsule to taste it though. I'll do that today and see if I can get it into her too.
I'd love to know how the seeds taste (especially ground up as a powder, or I don't think DS would digest them), and the modiflan. It's nice to have someone else to ask .

Waluso, I missed your original post, but I just read your SN post. One thing I would say is that girls on the spectrum are often affected differently than boys - it's FAR more subtle, and they are often more social. I think the most important factor at this point is your gut instinct, not the external signs. Also, my son is more distant/out of it/non-responsive to his name when he's food reacting, or in teething pain, and I think it's likely the metals are playing a role as well. In other words, for some two kids who both show early signs of possible autism, I think that for some kids, they truly have the brain differences that put them on the spectrum, and for other kids, food/chemicals/metals/immune or sensory issues produce the same symptoms. Definitely do the hair test if you can - it takes surprisingly little hair, and lots of good information.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#242 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 03:11 PM

I think we either need to get BW Pete over here for start a thread called "Ask a Buckwheat Pete expert" where we can aask Kathy everything we need to about BW Pete's recipes.
I made the BW Pete bagels with rice flour this morning. They turned out okay, but sort of... spongy? More the texture I'd expect for an English muffin. And they were still a little doughy. Even though I baked them for as long as it says to in the ebook and prodded them with no stickiness or anything. I wonder if cooking them longer would fix the problem or make it worse... Again, DS1 says "They're AWESOME! I love them!" but sometimes I think he's just a carb junkie and anything with carbs is great to him. Or maybe I just expect too much.

ETA: Oh yeah, and did I mention we have FLEAS now? Stupid BIL's cat. She keeps coming in our house (kids let her in) and I'll find her sleeping on the couch. *sigh*

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#243 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I think we either need to get BW Pete over here for start a thread called "Ask a Buckwheat Pete expert" where we can ask Kathy everything we need to about BW Pete's recipes.
I made the BW Pete bagels with rice flour this morning. They turned out okay, but sort of... spongy? More the texture I'd expect for an English muffin. And they were still a little doughy. Even though I baked them for as long as it says to in the ebook and prodded them with no stickiness or anything. I wonder if cooking them longer would fix the problem or make it worse... Again, DS1 says "They're AWESOME! I love them!" but sometimes I think he's just a carb junkie and anything with carbs is great to him. Or maybe I just expect too much.
I haven't made the bagels yet... My head hurts so much that I don't even want to cook...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#244 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I haven't made the bagels yet... My head hurts so much that I don't even want to cook...
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Is this still in response to the corn?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#245 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I am becoming concerned about DD's mental development. I started a thread in Special Needs: http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1121441. I think it's borderline whether there is a problem or not, based on my research and limited knowledge. I am starting to wonder if maybe we have metals issues, with the digestive issues and possible development delays. I'm thinking of finally ordering a metals test for both of us. This won't be easy because DD has little hair but I'm starting to think it could be key to figuring out what's going on with DD. Thoughts?
You know how you were saying dd is a lot lighter than she looks? That's been nagging at me... I wonder if she's got that 'puffiness' we were talking about here months ago. Were you around for those discussions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Question - how are you getting milk thistle into Taslyn? I'd really like to do some liver support for DS - I got milk thistle tincture, but it tastes AWFUL, there's no way I want to try to get that into him... (I'm trying very hard to find forms of supps that aren't offensive).
The seeds, ground, are easy. They're big hard seeds, so they definitely need to be ground up, and the outside can be hard to get really fine. But it hides in all sorts of stuff. I put a bunch (several tablespoons) in oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and couldn't tell it was there. I've also put it in pancakes, risotto (leftovers not so great), and anything baked, pretty much. It worked especially well in the oatmeal cookies because the texture just blended in with the oats. It also mixes into juice alright - probably more for an adult though. Smoothie, maybe?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#246 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
You know how you were saying dd is a lot lighter than she looks? That's been nagging at me... I wonder if she's got that 'puffiness' we were talking about here months ago. Were you around for those discussions?
I was around for those discussions but it never occurred to me that could be DD. She doesn't look "puffy" to me but she also doesn't look at the low end of the charts for weight, but that's where she is. Wow, I definitely need to get the test. I would just shave her head but don't want to deal with all the questions and looks I would get! Funny thing is her hair is very fine and fuzzy in the back and I asked the ped yesterday what I could do about it and she said to cut it short (or shave her head) and would grow back stronger. Maybe I should just do that ...
#247 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Taslyn's hair is kind of thin. It was about 1 1/4 inches long in back when we cut it. I didn't shave it but cut it off with scissors about 1/4 inch long. I had to cut up to the level of her ears in back, and I left the rest longer, like a bob. I'm glad we didn't have to take more, but I would have. I'd take as much as necessary.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#248 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Is this still in response to the corn?
Well I used to get period headaches that were close to what I would think of as a migraine (wicked pain, light makes it worse, noise makes it worse, almost nauseous because of it, nothing helps it). Well when I went off the dairy, gluten, soy last summer, my period headaches went away. I've had a regular headache for 2 days, wasn't sure if it was related to the corn in the soda I had (by accident) on Tuesday. Then I woke up with a much worse headache this morning and I had my period 3 days early (so 25 days from the beginning of my last one; remember, I had 45-55 day cycles my whole life until about 2.5 years ago, then went to this 28-day cycle with the sputtering off and on). So I'm not sure if it's just because of the corn that I got the headache or what. I was congested too this morning. So I ended up taking some aspirin and a benadryl and it's dulled down so it's not so bad. We're having a dock christening tonight with the neighborhood at our house (the neighbors helped us take down/replace the dock that was causing multiple kid injuries over the last few years), so I wasn't looking forward to entertaining 30 people with a wicked headache. Oh wait, I'm still not looking forward to entertaining 30 people!!

It's potluck. I'm making marinated chicken on skewers (used to do teriyaki; made up a marinade so we'll see how it goes), roasted potatoes, and roasted mixed veggies (onion, garlic, zucchini, broccoli). Still have to make something that DS can eat. We probably won't be able to have anyone else's contributions.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#249 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM

Good luck tonite Kathy!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#250 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Odd. I used to have period headaches too, Kathy. Mine stopped after I had ds1... i'm sure you've been told but a bunch of ladies on the AF thread have sputtering periods.

nice n ew sig lisa.. when'dwe get that smilie?

#251 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Hmmm. If this information is accurate, then T didn't get her 87x the reference range of cadmium during gestation. I wonder if its traveling through breastmilk from my old exposures or if we have something acute and current going on.

Quote:
Cadmium levels in humans tend to increase with age (probably because of chronic subtle exposure), usually peaking at around age 50 and then levelling off. No cadmium is present in newborns. Interestingly, cadmium does not cross the placenta-fetal barrier nor the blood-brain barrier as lead and mercury do, so it is not toxic to fetuses, nor does it cause the mental and brain symptoms of lead and mercury.
from http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=2049.

ETA: Oh. It goes on to say it doesn't travel in breastmilk. What is going on?!

Quote:
During the growth of grains such as wheat and rice, cadmium (from the soil) is concentrated in the core of the kernel, while zinc is found mostly in the germ and bran coverings. With refinement, zinc is lost, increasing the cadmium ratio. Refined flours, rice, and sugar all have relatively higher ratios of cadmium to zinc than do the whole foods.

#252 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Cripes. This site says the opposite.
Quote:
Cadmium passes easily through the placenta in utero and enters developing fetuses. This is why many children are born with behavioral or developmental disorders today. Cadmium is thus transmitted from generation to generation unless it is destroyed by several fascinating methods. These include cancer and a related method, the normal decomposition of a human body.
I'm going for a walk.

#253 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s/viewpost.gif
Does that fit into PB's mention of chlorophyll in the thread you just bumped in Dental? I wonder if that's why the smoothie seemed to make me feel bad--which I find a pathetic commentary on my health--I haven't done it again to verify cause/effect, so maybe I'm wrong about the whole thing. But maybe that could mobilize and make things look higher than they really are?
I literally lost sleep pondering and ruminating about this last night.

Pat

I have a blog.
#254 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

#255 of 1021 Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Can someone help me to understand if phytic acid is a good thing?!?!?!
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_53929992/
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/11/3778S
http://www.naturalnews.com/025975_IP...cer_cells.html

I soak beans and whole grains to ELIMINATE phytic acid. :

Pat

I have a blog.
#256 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
The seeds, ground, are easy. They're big hard seeds, so they definitely need to be ground up, and the outside can be hard to get really fine. But it hides in all sorts of stuff. I put a bunch (several tablespoons) in oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and couldn't tell it was there. I've also put it in pancakes, risotto (leftovers not so great), and anything baked, pretty much. It worked especially well in the oatmeal cookies because the texture just blended in with the oats. It also mixes into juice alright - probably more for an adult though. Smoothie, maybe?
Cool - not bitter that way? And cooking them doesn't damage their goodness? If I can cook them into things, that's easy. I see lots of places sell powder (probably my local HFS too) - maybe I'll try that first. I don't have a grinding implement that works on little seeds. Juice and smoothies are out, DS doesn't drink anything but bm and kefir. And juices (especially ones with strong flavors that would hide stuff) are all high sals.

Quote:
Hmmm. If this information is accurate, then T didn't get her 87x the reference range of cadmium during gestation. I wonder if its traveling through breastmilk from my old exposures or if we have something acute and current going on.
Quote:
Cripes. This site says the opposite.

I'm going for a walk.
Yeah, it sucks trying to get accurate info on this, doesn't it. You have my sympathies, it's hell to figure out! Cadmium can be in ceramic dishes, especially older ones, and in water. Do you have any galvanized metal parts your water would interact with? (Cadmium can be one of the products when galvanized metal corrodes).

I'm wondering if I should test DD too, just to have more data points to figure this out...

#257 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Can someone help me to understand if phytic acid is a good thing?!?!?!
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_53929992/
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/11/3778S
http://www.naturalnews.com/025975_IP...cer_cells.html

Pat
There's a thread I haven't read in TF:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?t=1085817
and an old one by PB I also haven't read:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=195601

happy reading! let us know what you find out

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#258 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Pat
The short form answer I have in my head after all the reading I did goes something like this. Phytic acid has some good effects, particularly long term. Too much phytic acid blocks other nutrients from getting absorbed. So it's all about balance.

Soaking and souring get rid of a lot of phytic acid, but not all (I read some of this in GaleForce's phytic acid e-course - soaking gets rid of 60% of phytic acid in beans, stuff like that, don't quote me on the exact numbers). And we don't soak and sour EVERYTHING. So I think of it a bit like Omega 3's and 6's - balance is important, and phytic acid is like Omega 6 - easy to come by in most people's diets these days. We do the work of soaking and souring to get rid of SOME of the phytic acid so that we can pull the other valuable nutrients from beans and grains. But we still get plenty of phytic acid to experience its health benefits as well.

ETA: Eep!!! Just reading up on milk thistle (trying to figure out if I can pass it to DS through bm). Apparently it increases milk supply. No wonder I have big boobs today.

#259 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
ETA: Eep!!! Just reading up on milk thistle (trying to figure out if I can pass it to DS through bm). Apparently it increases milk supply. No wonder I have big boobs today.
I forgot about that effect. I should get some milk thistle. Marius is going through a growth spurt, I think, wanting to nurse *constantly*.

#260 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Comprehensive list (and descriptions/sources) of phytochemicals: http://www.phytochemicals.info/phytochemicals.php

Pat

I have a blog.
#261 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamafish and whoMe. I won't fret about soaking or not soaking whole grains.

Pat

I have a blog.
#262 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

This is interesting about Inositol (part of the vitamin B family and is found in phytic acid) relieving OCD. And depression by regulating the action of serotonin.
http://www.epigee.org/mental_health/ocdtreatment.html
http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T46953.html

Inositol can naturally be found in nuts, seeds, whole grains and citrus fruits.

(also lowers blood sugar, by slowing digestion of carbs)

Pat

I have a blog.
#263 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Milk thistle and milk supply? Maybe I shouldn't take it. I'm trying to wean DS. I've noticed that the time of the month that my supply lowers, he takes 2 or 3 sucks and goes to play. So he doesn't nurse much. But if I say no to nursing, he gets upset. So, causing my milk supply to drop would be the no-tears method of weaning. (And less discomfort for me too, I guess.)

Quote:
Pat
I read somewhere it is an antioxidant. But I have to wonder if just being officially an antioxidant makes something worth ingesting. Is it just one of these fads where we are all indoctrinated to think antioxidants are the miracles that will save us, and then we cling to them whether or not they are good?

No time to follow all the links about phytic acid now and read them. Maybe another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Yay for zinc being nasty! I've read that that's the response people are supposed to have, but it was better than local tapwater to me when I did it a couple years ago. Though you're saying that the regular zinc sulfate (which brand?) you've got doesn't agree with the 8-mineral kit? That is confusing and concerning.
The kit has very diluted solutions. That is why the scale for rating doesn't have one rating that says "OMG this is the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth!" They just want you to be able to tell if it tastes pleasant or unpleasant, and to what degree.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#264 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Okay, having had chicken kebabs on the menu for yesterday's lunch, I now have to ask...
Does anyone have any tips for how to get them on the skewers faster? I gave up after 4 of them and just threw it all in the oven in a pan. The kids (and DH) ate it just the same but I'd prefer them to be broiled on skewers rather than baked.

#265 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
mtn.mama - I'm so sorry about the metals but glad you have a plan and direction!

I am becoming concerned about DD's mental development. I started a thread in Special Needs: http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1121441. I think it's borderline whether there is a problem or not, based on my research and limited knowledge. I am starting to wonder if maybe we have metals issues, with the digestive issues and possible development delays. I'm thinking of finally ordering a metals test for both of us. This won't be easy because DD has little hair but I'm starting to think it could be key to figuring out what's going on with DD. Thoughts?
Given that your daughter has other health problems, I definitely think it's worth looking into. Thing is, you're a lawyer, I'm guessing you're fairly intelligent, and I'm not saying high intelligence kids are always on the fast end of all the developmental markers, I don't think that, but they're more likely to be, and it's harder to see subtle delays because going from faster-than-typical to a bit slow can be missed. This is the reason I'm grateful I got sick (or started healing, as someone else pointed out), because things are off with my kids, but I'm not sure they would've been off enough to say "Hey, something's wrong, pay attention."

And I'm just now running into this for DS--the range for "typical" is pretty wide. DS is 3y3m and has a good vocabulary and good grammer, I think towards the advanced end for his age, but his articulation is not good, hopefully we'll get the speech therapist report tomorrow. But their plan (speech therapy for 6 months) may bring him into the typical range, but that's still quite a gap between his articulation and all his other verbal skills. So I'm not thrilled with their solution.
#266 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Okay, having had chicken kebabs on the menu for yesterday's lunch, I now have to ask...
Does anyone have any tips for how to get them on the skewers faster? I gave up after 4 of them and just threw it all in the oven in a pan. The kids (and DH) ate it just the same but I'd prefer them to be broiled on skewers rather than baked.
I did skewers last night. If they were already cut into chunks, it shouldn't have taken that long. Though I usually poke myself while I'm doing it, so maybe I go too fast! The recipe I made last night tasted like teriyaki but without soy. Of course, I didn't measure anything and added a little of this and a little of that, so I'll never be able to duplicate it....

#267 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I did skewers last night. If they were already cut into chunks, it shouldn't have taken that long. Though I usually poke myself while I'm doing it, so maybe I go too fast! The recipe I made last night tasted like teriyaki but without soy. Of course, I didn't measure anything and added a little of this and a little of that, so I'll never be able to duplicate it....
Ooooh. I"d love a teryaki without soy tasting thing. Yum! Get duplicating.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#268 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 08:18 PM

Me too! Soy free soy. Woohoo!

#269 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM

It was 1/4 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. molasses, 2 cloves garlic, sliced. Then it gets fuzzy. A couple of shakes of ginger powder, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a splash of sherry, and enough orange juice to make it 1 c. Then I diced the chicken into 1.5" squares, and put them all in a bag with the marinade, and put it in the fridge for 2-3 hours. It tasted very teriyaki-ish. I'll have to make it again and measure. I must have put some salt in there too (for soy sauce replacement).

#270 of 1021 Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Yum. I'm going to cut/paste that into my meal-ideas document to make sure I don't lose it and try it soon. I am shaking us out of our food rut.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page