Amazing August Abundant Alternatives Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going to all send healing vibes for allowing abundant (food) alternatives for our allergy associated aggravations. (how is that for alliteration)

Join us if you are new in the Allergy forum. Here we just talk about all things allergies and MORE. Everyone welcome to chime in, ponder, whine or chat. (this is the catchall thread for the mamas supporting each other through their allergy journey)

What is on your mind?

Here are some old threads to chew on (allergen free). But, they might make you crazy-(ier).

We started off with:
whoMe's MTHFR, salicylates and adrenals
and then it started taking over.
We have:
changing seasons' "I'm done with food trials"
whoMe's methyl-what now? huh?
whoMe's detox guinea pig
Tanya's avoidance vs not discussion
whoMe's histamine and dopamine
whoMe's Detox while breastfeeding
Tanya's clay and allergies and gut health
my Detox, HTG, HCl and candida
neveryoumindthere's Do this, do that thread
Changing Season's Nancy Drew thread

Don't know where your question or Ah-ha! will fit, it'll fit here! Celebrations welcome too!! :

And the most exciting development of the month: prenatal allergy prevention, nutrition-style.

Pat

I have a blog.
#2 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Good morning, Pat!

I'm not noticing any change from having been glutened yesterday.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#3 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are we doing monthly chats now, instead of weekly? The only thing is (for search purposes) that all the other ones actually had chat in the title.... not a complaint, just an observation... (since I'm always having to search old chat threads to remember things).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I wanted to ask too... How does that FitDay thing you were talking about work, Kathy? I was thinking about going over there to check it out before I start planning snacks into our meal plan so I could use the snacks to potentially "shore up" anything (nutrients) we may be missing.
You put in the foods you eat each day (you could probably track each person in your family; right now, I'm just tracking me). Then at the bottom of the page, you can look at a pie chart that tells you fat, protein, carbs, alcohol, or you can look at the RDA chart to see what you're missing (green: you have enough; red: you're deficient), but so far I haven't figured out a way to put supplements in there to track those too, but maybe I just have to do that as a customized food... yeah, I'll do that. I have found that I eat a lot of fat (good fats like pine nuts and coconut milk) which must be keeping me from losing any weight (my weight is very stable) even on this restricted diet.

Oh, and I told SIL about the beet test because we were talking about her reflux (which still hasn't gone away after the doctor told her to avoid dairy, which I think is a gluten thing, but she won't listen to me; she had avoided gluten for 2 weeks in the fall, then ate it abundantly and went into a deep depression and ended up checking herself in as suicidal around Christmas time; and she originally thought that gluten was a problem, but her naturopath said it wasn't -- hello? reactions trump results?). And I mentioned the red pee being a sign of low stomach acid, and she said "Well the doctor said that my stomach acid test was inconclusive" like that made more sense than the beet test even though she's got reflux. Argh. And little miss "healthy" had Manwiches last night with white bread rolls and canned manwich (with my TOUGH swiss chard and my scalloped poatoes that "didn't taste au gratin" (I told them that it was scalloped not au gratin but do they listen). They're leaving today... Sorry about the rant, but I can't rant out loud here!!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Yeah, it's really annoying when people know just enough to think they're on top of things cause they're totally wrong and won't listen to you at all...

Anyone know what causes muscle twitches? Like the little ones that look like a monster trying to break free of your elbow?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#6 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Okay, so I believe I've mentioned my extensive meal planning before. I finally got a full 5 week meal plan for breakfast, lunch and supper. Breakfast and lunch have a lot of repeats and stuff, so I'm still not done on that front but I feel a lot better about it. However, now I'm reorganizing how I'm doing my plan. Instead of keeping it in my 3-ring binder, I'm going to hang it on my cupboard door. It's just so hard to always be going in a binder. I did this with my "chore list" a long time ago and it's what has kept our house from looking like a tornado came through (some of the time anyway ). I'm going to put each week on a separate sheet of paper and then just change it out every week. I'm working on a "Master shopping list" for each week, as well as a "Pantry stocking list" (items we buy at Costco or other stores in the city- dry goods). Ultimately, I see this saving me a whole lot of time.
You are my hero. I've been meaning to make a chore list for a while now... for one, to help me get stuff done and not keep getting so behind, and two- so that DP can see exactly how much I'm doing around the house and how little he's doing.

But a menu plan too? Wow. I'm light-years away from that... Although that really would help us get back onto some sort of rotation. hmmm...

Shannon- wouldn't muscle twitches be a mag thing?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Serial posting... forgot to ask-

Does the FitDay thing track just basic stuff (protein, carbs, etc.) or does it track nutrients too? I've used CalorieKing software for a few years now- it does the basics, but I'd love to get something that really tracks all the nutrients. Of course if I would get myself into a nutrition program, I'm sure I would get to use cool software like that.

I think next spring, when DP is done with school, I will start. We may start TTC around that time too!!

#8 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Shannon- wouldn't muscle twitches be a mag thing?
I think I'm up on mag... I'm wondering about some electrolyte thing though, like some combo of cal/mag/sodium/potassium/water... Too much? Too little?

#9 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Back in my synchronized swimming days, muscle twitches like that were low potassium...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#10 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Anyone know what causes muscle twitches? Like the little ones that look like a monster trying to break free of your elbow?
I thought mag too. But potassium makes sense as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Serial posting... forgot to ask-

Does the FitDay thing track just basic stuff (protein, carbs, etc.) or does it track nutrients too? I've used CalorieKing software for a few years now- it does the basics, but I'd love to get something that really tracks all the nutrients. Of course if I would get myself into a nutrition program, I'm sure I would get to use cool software like that.
The FitDay does RDA of nutrients (shows you the percentage of RDA and the numbers are either red - deficient or green-over 100%). I haven't played around with it too much to see if you can track it over time too. And what I use is the free version. They have more options if you pay for it. I am just having trouble remembering to stick my food in there. Then it'll be a couple days later and I can't remember what I ate.

Oh AND something else funny... when she said that she might go off soy to see if it was that, she was lamenting all the processed foods she couldn't eat and my brother was saying "Twinkies" like what a shame it would be to give up Twinkies. I said that I made something similar. And he said, "Yeah, but do yours stay good for 100 years?" like that was a GOOD thing.

It's drizzly and chilly. I'm thinking of baking... maybe some creme brulee. But I really want a cookie. Why do I always want cookies.... mmmm... pignoli cookies... why do I always want pine nuts? I need to de-stress-ify in the kitchen today.

#11 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Bah. I've been working on it for years. The beginning of this current manifestation (hah) started about 2 years ago when I was dx'd with Hashi's and decided to "pare down" on what I did until I got to feeling better. I'm still working on that last part. I have several "chore lists": daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal. My daily list is kept in a plastic sleeve and I stroke things off on it with a dry erase marker and add things to the bottom which need to be done that day from the other lists. I don't often get past my weekly chores lately. Not sure why.
I started the menu plan as a way to get more time out of my day. I hate having to sit there and figure out "What am I doing for supper today?" and then realizing that whatever I was going to do can't be done for some reason and having to figure something else out. I was wasting literally hours out of my day doing this (I don't multi-task nearly so well as I did prior to my thyroid tanking- I cannot do one thing and think about something else). I suppose that might not be as much of an issue for you, with such limited choices though.
Anyway, speaking of chores... I need to get back to work.

And thanks for the explanation of FitDay, Kathy. I think I'll go check it out this evening.

And thanks for the new chat, Pat! : I was thinking about doing one yesterday but got sidetracked.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#12 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Back in my synchronized swimming days, muscle twitches like that were low potassium...
By the way, I always thought that was one of the coolest Olympic sports. I remember my brother and I trying to do it when we were teenagers. I'm sure it was comical to watch us since neither of us were very good swimmers and both of us plugged our noses when we went under water! Got any helpful hints? Maybe I can get my kids to start practicing....

#13 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

What is the link to Kathy's recipes?

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

This is an informative article about MTHFR and folate and moods. http://wholelifenutrition.net/id2.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#15 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
What is the link to Kathy's recipes?

Thanks, Pat
me?
www.kathysrecipebox.com

And for those egg people that are non-dairy, non-soy, non-corn, etc., the coconut creme brulee turned out fantastic! Just ate my second bowl. My niece, who is staying with us for the week, thought it was fab, and dd1 begrudgingly said it was "okay", and dd2 scarfed her's down in a hurry. And using my kitchen torch again was FUN. I'll try to get it on my website tonight... though the picture might not get there yet.

The pignoli cookie dough is in the fridge chilling. Have I had enough sugar yet?

#16 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
me?
www.kathysrecipebox.com

And for those egg people that are non-dairy, non-soy, non-corn, etc., the coconut creme brulee turned out fantastic! Just ate my second bowl. My niece, who is staying with us for the week, thought it was fab, and dd1 begrudgingly said it was "okay", and dd2 scarfed her's down in a hurry. And using my kitchen torch again was FUN. I'll try to get it on my website tonight... though the picture might not get there yet.

The pignoli cookie dough is in the fridge chilling. Have I had enough sugar yet?
Ooooh. That sounds divine. How about chocolate brownies & creme brulee for Adam's birthday treats?

Still trying to find a cake recipe.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#17 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, clever name. I've seen it 100 times and hadn't bookmarked it.

Pat

I have a blog.
#18 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
By the way, I always thought that was one of the coolest Olympic sports. I remember my brother and I trying to do it when we were teenagers. I'm sure it was comical to watch us since neither of us were very good swimmers and both of us plugged our noses when we went under water! Got any helpful hints? Maybe I can get my kids to start practicing....
LOL - I didn't start until college, although I competed on my college team with an ex-Olympian. She was a lot better than I was . You need noseplugs, however - it is just insane to be upside down in water without them.

Pat, that linkie you posted reminded me about my folate question. Anyone have a source of folate that is easy to get into a small child (without juice/drinking it)? Does it pass through bm? I'm taking the Perque multi, which has folate, and juicing/eating lots of greens... We have no obvious MTHFR symptoms, but it seems like folate is a no-brainer for an ASD kid, rather than hoping their body has all the pieces to convert folic acid.

On the no MTHFR symptoms thing - very little seems to match, except one thing that struck me reading the old MTHFR and sals thread. Basically, I think I would never have had babies without the miracle of baby aspirin. We TTCed before DD for a long time, until I tried baby aspirin (a friend's IVF doc recommended it for all women with infertility struggles, and I was pretty ready to try anything). I got pg the first month I took it - it gave a MASSIVE energy boost to my ovulating (feel eggs exploding out kind of energy). We didn't do anything to prevent another child, and didn't get pg for 2.5 years, although I was bfing most of that time. Took baby aspirin again, got pg the first month I took it, same turbo-charged ovulation. Does that sound MTHFR related? Or are there other causes of high homocysteine? (That seems to me like a thought thread worth pursuing, given DS' issues).

And I think we are seeing progress on digestion issues - CORN tortilla seems to be fine. (A couple of months ago, corn caused screaming within the hour). I'm not going to jump on the corn bandwagon or anything, and it was homemade, GMO free organic corn tortilla, but that's progress. I think it might be that we are getting his zinc levels up from the practically zero that his hair test showed. Maybe time to do the beet test again...

#19 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Pat, that linkie you posted reminded me about my folate question. Anyone have a source of folate that is easy to get into a small child (without juice/drinking it)? Does it pass through bm? I'm taking the Perque multi, which has folate, and juicing/eating lots of greens... We have no obvious MTHFR symptoms, but it seems like folate is a no-brainer for an ASD kid, rather than hoping their body has all the pieces to convert folic acid.

On the no MTHFR symptoms thing - very little seems to match, except one thing that struck me reading the old MTHFR and sals thread. Basically, I think I would never have had babies without the miracle of baby aspirin. We TTCed before DD for a long time, until I tried baby aspirin (a friend's IVF doc recommended it for all women with infertility struggles, and I was pretty ready to try anything). I got pg the first month I took it - it gave a MASSIVE energy boost to my ovulating (feel eggs exploding out kind of energy). We didn't do anything to prevent another child, and didn't get pg for 2.5 years, although I was bfing most of that time. Took baby aspirin again, got pg the first month I took it, same turbo-charged ovulation. Does that sound MTHFR related? Or are there other causes of high homocysteine? (That seems to me like a thought thread worth pursuing, given DS' issues).

And I think we are seeing progress on digestion issues - CORN tortilla seems to be fine. (A couple of months ago, corn caused screaming within the hour). I'm not going to jump on the corn bandwagon or anything, and it was homemade, GMO free organic corn tortilla, but that's progress. I think it might be that we are getting his zinc levels up from the practically zero that his hair test showed. Maybe time to do the beet test again...
Folate *definitely* goes through milk, ime. The thorne 5-mthf is powder in capsules that's pretty much tasteless.

Other causes of high homocysteine could be low B12 (due to low hcl/zinc?).

Yay on corn! We actually bought some more corn on the cob for dinner :

#20 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM

totally OT - we just ordered new hardwood flooring and it's going to be here on TUESDAY! And we're installing it ourselves! And we've never done anything of the sort before!

I'm excited

#21 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Another OT- I'm probably about to get banned (and even if I don't I probably won't be back because I am pretty f-ing sick of being censored for silly shit... on top of this signature thing really irking me), so you guys can find me on FB. JR, Kathy, Pat, Carren, and Margo have me on their friends list, so they can help you find me if you want. (Or if there's any newbies that you think I should chat with.) Or you guys can email me at *****. (will be back later to delete if I'm not banned first.)

#22 of 1021 Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 PM

i'm with ya, jessica.

ILs are gone, but we're dealing with the dog and now we suddenly have to move 4hrs south for 4m so dave can take a class and actually finish his degree (suprise, the class we were told would transfer didn't. so he didn't graduate. we thought he graduated nearly TWO YEARS ago.)

as much as i love all of you, i cannot devote as much time to this board as i have in the past. i will keep up on FB for sure, though.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#23 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 AM

I'm frustrated and sad to be losing part of this community. TTUFFB. (Thank the Universe for Facebook.) Love you guys!!!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#24 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Folate *definitely* goes through milk, ime. The thorne 5-mthf is powder in capsules that's pretty much tasteless.

Other causes of high homocysteine could be low B12 (due to low hcl/zinc?).

Yay on corn! We actually bought some more corn on the cob for dinner :
Yes, you inspired me to try corn, your tamales just sounded so darned good! And thanks for the thorne powder, tasteless is good, I can hide powder in his yogurt if it doesn't taste. I also have a sublingual methyl B12 on the way - I think I'm OK, but I assume DS is low, and I figure it can't hurt to try it for both of us. Now that zinc/hcl is maybe working better, if I can get his deficiencies patched a little, maybe he can keep them filled!

Quote:
totally OT - we just ordered new hardwood flooring and it's going to be here on TUESDAY! And we're installing it ourselves! And we've never done anything of the sort before!

I'm excited
Just did that 3 months ago. My back still aches, LOL. It's awesome to look at your new floors every day, you'll love it. What kind of wood did you get?

, CS.

#25 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 02:09 AM

I think our corn reaction might be to skip the usual 6:30/7pm bedtime, and end up with a tantrum building until she crashes. Tonight we let it loose and she was out by 9. Last night we tried to keep her happy and it didn't work and she was up until 10. I have such a hard time convincing dh that reactions like this are real. He's more inclined to blame the drop in milk supply. Even though that happened like 3 weeks ago... Or 'normal, well adjusted terrible twos.' Sigh.

#26 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 AM

It always makes me so sad to see people go.

I just learned something cool from FitDay that had never occurred to me before. If you use the aluminum free baking powder, it contains monocalcium phosphate. MonoCALCIUM. It never occurred to me before as a source of calcium. Duh.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#27 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Hi everyone,
we were away for an extended weekend and I am still trying to catch-up here. I don't know how you ladies keep up with FB, I get totally lost everytime I go there .

Were were doing so well being wheat free and corn free, until MIL cooked this weekend. She not only put wheat-flour in the stew to thicken it, but also totally artificial stock-cubes. Not sure how that constitutes additive / wheat / corn free. DS2 has been miserable all day, just wanting to nurse and having one tantrum after another : Well at least now I am sure wheat is a no-no.

Has anyone tried sprouted wheat (Essene) bread? Aparently sprouting the wheat kernels breaks down the gluten, making the bread easier to degest even for gluten intollerant people.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#28 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 PM

I think Essene flour is a lovely idea, but should probably be reserved until healing is complete.

I stink. I've been stinking for at least a month now. I *know* this is detox. What exact nasties I'm eliminating I know not. If it were going into my breastmilk, Taslyn would show it, right? But she's in a good patch...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#29 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
I think Essene flour is a lovely idea, but should probably be reserved until healing is complete.

I stink. I've been stinking for at least a month now. I *know* this is detox. What exact nasties I'm eliminating I know not. If it were going into my breastmilk, Taslyn would show it, right? But she's in a good patch...
Get this. I stink but only my left armpit. What is up with THAT?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#30 of 1021 Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Get this. I stink but only my left armpit. What is up with THAT?

OK, sometimes this place just cracks me up.

Shannon, sorry about the corn reaction . Behavioral stuff sucks. My DH gets it for gluten and casein (both of which cause "autism" behaviors to get stronger), but things like sals making him head butt me more are harder to convince him of ("maybe it's his teeth/lack of nap/had a long day/too much TV").

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page