Hiding supplements and dense nutrition in foods - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 156 Old 09-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if you know, but cinnamon is on the top 100 foods on WHFoods... 2 teaspoons provides something like 38% DV manganese, 8% DV iron and 2% DV calcium...
Any chance your iron's low?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#62 of 156 Old 09-05-2009, 06:19 PM

I have been craving cinnamon like crazy lately. I wonder if it is because I am low in iron. I lost alot of blood during my labor. I have been craving almonds too, but that mat be because I got 20 lbs for $3 lb. Raw almond butter and cinnamon in smoothies is my staple lately. My dd will devour it too.
#63 of 156 Old 09-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I made these today and they were so goood!!!!
I ground up sunflower seeds, and mixed it with nutritional yeast, dulse flakes, and braggs liquid aminos, and made a weak paste with water and tossed the kale, dehydrated, and we cant stop eating them.
Thanks whoMe for the idea.
My 2 yr ld loved them and so did Dh (that is quite a shocker to me, he never eats greens.) Dh actually said he would like more to take to work with him.

Next time I am going to try adding miso for the cultures.
That will be tomorrow when I buy out the famers market for kale.
Can either you or WhoMe be a little more specific about how you made the paste & adhered it to the kale? Did you just toss the kale in it? Did you use olive oil?

How long did it take to dehydrate and what temp did you use?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#64 of 156 Old 09-05-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I have been craving cinnamon like crazy lately. I wonder if it is because I am low in iron. I lost alot of blood during my labor. I have been craving almonds too, but that mat be because I got 20 lbs for $3 lb. Raw almond butter and cinnamon in smoothies is my staple lately. My dd will devour it too.
Where did you get 20 lbs of almonds for $3/lb? Were they really raw? Not pasturized?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#65 of 156 Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Can either you or WhoMe be a little more specific about how you made the paste & adhered it to the kale? Did you just toss the kale in it? Did you use olive oil?

: Thx for asking, Chlobo, I forgot.
#66 of 156 Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I just mixed it up to a 'gloppy' consistency. Kinda like a thick creamy salad dressing, no oil, then tossed it all together in a big mixing bowl. Don't skimp on the sauce - it's the best part when they're done. I had no trouble getting it to stick at all. I started with dry curly leaf kale, and there are LOTS of pockets for it to hide in. I used a dehydrator that gets a bit warmer than official 'raw' temperatures, and the bottom layers were done in 3-4 hours but it took another 2-3+ for the rest. Definitely go till they're all the way crispy with no hint of chewy/toughness. I've heard of people doing them in the oven, too, in which case they'll be done a lot faster and you have to watch for burning.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#67 of 156 Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Ditto everthing whoMe said, except I can control the temp and I let mine get around 120+ degrees. Still it crisped very fast. I made a full dehydrator full yesterday, and my 2 yr old was sneeking to it drying and kept eating the "chips" she called them.
And to say too, don't go easy on the paste mixture. I used so many ground sunflower seeds and it was so worth it.
#68 of 156 Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Where did you get 20 lbs of almonds for $3/lb? Were they really raw? Not pasturized?
Yes they were REALLY raw, I contacted the grower/seller and they are also low spray too. Pm'ing ya!
And free shipping too!
#69 of 156 Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yes they were REALLY raw, I contacted the grower/seller and they are also low spray too. Pm'ing ya!
And free shipping too!
please share the info with me too.

but also how do you make almond butter from raw almonds? i've tried in the past and it never seems quite right...

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#70 of 156 Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Please don't feel like you aren't special chlobo, but I am posting the email I sent you since others may be interested:

Here is the info for the raw almonds. I bought them on ebay. There was another seller for a few bucks cheaper, but I was a little uncertian about them. They said they were raw, but their responce seemed so imersonal in a strage way that I would rather spend 3 bucks more and feel better that they are probly what the seller says. Who knows, the other ones could be from china. but they may be fine. Here is the one I got and trust:
http://shop.ebay.com/wildbg73/m.html...1&_from=&_ipg=

And to make almond butter, I run them through my Chamoion Juicer with the blank plate on. Works great.
#71 of 156 Old 09-06-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Please don't feel like you aren't special chlobo, but I am posting the email I sent you since others may be interested:

Here is the info for the raw almonds. I bought them on ebay. There was another seller for a few bucks cheaper, but I was a little uncertian about them. They said they were raw, but their responce seemed so imersonal in a strage way that I would rather spend 3 bucks more and feel better that they are probly what the seller says. Who knows, the other ones could be from china. but they may be fine. Here is the one I got and trust:
http://shop.ebay.com/wildbg73/m.html...1&_from=&_ipg=

And to make almond butter, I run them through my Chamoion Juicer with the blank plate on. Works great.
Great thread! Can't believe I missed it! Great ideas mammas I've been struggling with trying to hide stuff in DD food/drink.
Whome-Tried the "hot lemonade" for DD today and she loved it

Bluebirdmama-Wow that's a great deal on almonds!!! You seem very confident of the source. In the post provided is it any of the ones on the page to buy from?
#72 of 156 Old 09-07-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Great thread! Can't believe I missed it! Great ideas mammas I've been struggling with trying to hide stuff in DD food/drink.
Whome-Tried the "hot lemonade" for DD today and she loved it

Bluebirdmama-Wow that's a great deal on almonds!!! You seem very confident of the source. In the post provided is it any of the ones on the page to buy from?
I just got the 20 lbs for 60 bucks - the cheapest. (the carmel variety)
#73 of 156 Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 AM

Lots of interesting ideas around here! I have been meaning to make kale chips FOREVER- - that would be great to get in the nut yeast and seaweek flakes as well- and I already have that stuff on hand!

I am thinking of making some homemade chocolate syrup to hide a calcium powder to- not original at all= but I know the kids love chocolate milk and they never get it. "Milk" is only ever used in things not as a beverage.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#74 of 156 Old 09-07-2009, 05:33 PM

Discoveries of today:

Thorne folate pretty much vanishes without a trace when you sprinkle it over puffed rice, then toss it together.

A decent milk for putting over cereal (puffed rice):
coconut milk
molasses
sweetener (honey/sucanat/whatever)
brewer's yeast (~1tsp/1 can milk)
calcium powder
salt
water to dilute to decent consistency

And I'm sure it'd be easy to mix in other bland supps (biotin, folate, etc), but since I'm the only one drinking it, I didn't bother. It passed the dh test, though I bet it might also be a good base for chocolate milk? And an egg yolk or two would probably work well for the extra vites/protein.

#75 of 156 Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Yesterday I tried this pate recipe, and I must say, it lived up to it's reputation. And dd likes it, sandwiched between rice crackers! I think I'm going to make a point of *always* having some on hand (it freezes well) so that when there's nothing to eat and dd's asking for sugar in one form or another, I can whip it out. Protein, vit A and folate for me, B vites and actual food rather than fruit and candy for her. I could think about spiking it, but there's something wrong with the world when you have to hide extra vitamins in liver pate. It just seems wrong.

#76 of 156 Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
but there's something wrong with the world when you have to hide extra vitamins in liver pate. It just seems wrong.

Most of the world would say there's something wrong either with feeding your 2-year old pate, or with her enjoying it!

The next time we go to the farmer's market, I'm going to see if the farm with the amazing eggs has any chicken liver. I've been considering it for a while, now's the time.
#77 of 156 Old 09-12-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post

Most of the world would say there's something wrong either with feeding your 2-year old pate, or with her enjoying it!
Yeah... She's been loving pate (and raising eyebrows) for well over a year now too. At least I've graduated from the sodium nitrate pork liver pate to homemade chicken liver pate with no preservatives! We just found some safe salami, so we've been having it a bunch. First time she saw it? "I want some pate!"

It's just so hard to keep up with her good-for-you cravings!

#78 of 156 Old 09-12-2009, 12:48 AM

i used to spread pate on (unsweetened) nut butter pancakes. but ds is a fussy preschooler now and doesn't want to have anything to do with pate (or pesto) anymore.

#79 of 156 Old 09-12-2009, 04:03 AM

Another plan, to work on calcium:
One of the mexican restaurants here serves everyone a cup of broth as an appetizer. It's basically chicken broth with a tiny bit of chopped tomato, onion, and lemon juice. We choose that place over the others, just for the soup. We have good chickens available now at the farmer's market, and we've been getting one each week (beef broth was our mainstay before). I'm going to turn the chicken broth into that soup, then try and serve it as an appetizer with dinner everyday, and have it available for snacks.

Must. Get. On. Top. Of. The. Foods.

She's refusing supplements more and more, everyday. Except for the B12, which now I don't want her taking

#80 of 156 Old 09-12-2009, 04:16 AM

As another calcium choice, are there any downsides to nettles infusions? You've done those before, have you decided they don't work anymore? My kids will drink them whenever I offer, DD has always enjoyed them but DS has been drinking more and more. Don't know how to quantify the minerals, but it's better than plain water.

From the other thread, do you filter your water? ... going to ask over there.
#81 of 156 Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
As another calcium choice, are there any downsides to nettles infusions? You've done those before, have you decided they don't work anymore? My kids will drink them whenever I offer, DD has always enjoyed them but DS has been drinking more and more. Don't know how to quantify the minerals, but it's better than plain water.
when I was drinking them, dd was intreguied and tasted some once or twice, but never wanted any herself. I haven't been making them because after my biotin taste preference flip flop, they haven't sounded yummy. Things are settling down now, I should try again and see if either one of us is more intrested now.

The only drawback I can think of is unknown oxalates content.

#82 of 156 Old 09-13-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yesterday I tried this pate recipe, and I must say, it lived up to it's reputation. And dd likes it, sandwiched between rice crackers! I think I'm going to make a point of *always* having some on hand (it freezes well) so that when there's nothing to eat and dd's asking for sugar in one form or another, I can whip it out. Protein, vit A and folate for me, B vites and actual food rather than fruit and candy for her. I could think about spiking it, but there's something wrong with the world when you have to hide extra vitamins in liver pate. It just seems wrong.
Wow Whome perfect timing! I've been looking for a pate recipe. I hate cow liver so I'm hoping I can tolerate chicken liver.
I've never cooked it before so recipe says pink on the inside about how long would that be? 5 minutes?
#83 of 156 Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Not crazy about liver either and when I was pregnant I wanted nothing to do with it. I just made these so I thought I would share on this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1135877
#84 of 156 Old 09-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
What can I do if I don't have the wine for the recipe?
#85 of 156 Old 09-13-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm trying a gf beer today with the recipe.
I've made pate before without any alcohol. and it was fine, but I think the wine adds an addition of flavor.

eta: made it with the beer. yum!

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#86 of 156 Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 AM

quick, before I forget...

Dd's go to snack is applesauce. She loves the little cups. I don't love the high sugar, lack of protein or fat or nutrition (though it's easy to hide stuff if she's not looking). I'm looking for another go to snack to have in the car, and I was realizing today that we have a pressure cooker - we can can our own stuff, which widens the possibilities considerably! Any ideas for a more nutritious snack to have on hand in the car? I'm thinking custard or something, but a savory option would be awesome. I just can't think of what would be good plain and not be too messy to eat in a carseat.

#87 of 156 Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
quick, before I forget...

Dd's go to snack is applesauce. She loves the little cups. I don't love the high sugar, lack of protein or fat or nutrition (though it's easy to hide stuff if she's not looking). I'm looking for another go to snack to have in the car, and I was realizing today that we have a pressure cooker - we can can our own stuff, which widens the possibilities considerably! Any ideas for a more nutritious snack to have on hand in the car? I'm thinking custard or something, but a savory option would be awesome. I just can't think of what would be good plain and not be too messy to eat in a carseat.
you could make your own version of larabars - date paste, nuts, sneak in a little something extra...

jerky is our favorite though sometimes we do trail mix. "Rainbow Green" has a lot of recipes for (raw) trail mixes.

when ds wants fruit for the car, i'll whip up apple + nut butter "Sandwiches" (basically sliced apple with nut butter in between). he's got a "snack box" for the car so it contains it really well.

#88 of 156 Old 09-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
you could make your own version of larabars - date paste, nuts, sneak in a little something extra...

jerky is our favorite though sometimes we do trail mix. "Rainbow Green" has a lot of recipes for (raw) trail mixes.

when ds wants fruit for the car, i'll whip up apple + nut butter "Sandwiches" (basically sliced apple with nut butter in between). he's got a "snack box" for the car so it contains it really well.
Good ideas, but I don't think they'll work well for us - I try to avoid dried fruit type stuff because of the gaping holes in dd's teeth and we don't do that well with too many nuts - I think it's the PUFAs? Dh suggested jerky too, but anything that's too chewy just gets chewed for a while and spit out. Apples and peanut butter is already our go to snack at home. I guess it could do alright in the car, but then we'd need something better at home.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I just really have no ideas!

#89 of 156 Old 09-14-2009, 04:10 PM

cold sausages or pepperoni sticks? cold cuts? i'm a huge fan of cold meat (cooked chicken, cold roast beef, etc) as a snack (if i must snack), so that's my bias.

in a little travel cup... could you do a pesto of some sort, with crackers or veggies to dip in? hummus or any other kind of bean dip? tuna salad or chicken salad or egg salad?

nori wrapped around any sort of filling. (ds used to just like eating plain ol' nori with the filling on the side) but i think this would not work so well on the road.

bake cookies/muffins that meet your food requirements and use that in the car. coconut flour muffins work really well for us in this regard - savory with bacon or sweet with banana.

i just find that car + goopy snack = big mess = too much work for me. there's no way i want ds to have something messy like applesauce in the truck, so we go with really portable things in the car and save the not so portable things for home. if it must be messy, we save those for long trips and eat them when we pull over at a rest area.

#90 of 156 Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM

oh, i happened on a really awesome way to do chicken livers. if you're baking a chicken anyway, take the liver (and some extras) and put them in the cavity along with any other organs. you won't be able to do too many but what you will be able to cook will come out very lovely. even tastier if you add a cut up onion, garlic, and fresh herbs (like sage!).

it was nice and brownish pink, even after the chicken had been grilled for 2 hours (big chicken, low grill temp). it smelled good, but then the texture hit my tongue and i had to choke it down. that texture gets me every time. however, you could get around the ick texture by scoping out the contents of the cavity and then pureeing it.

actually, this would probably work really well with turkey - its cavity would be able to hold so much more than a chicken cavity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page