Hiding supplements and dense nutrition in foods - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 156 Old 11-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds like a homemade "bone broth supplement"! Very mineral-dense.

Pat

I have a blog.
#122 of 156 Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM

We are absolutely loving this seaweed product.
My 3 year old has always enjoyed Japanese Nori. This Korean Nori is out of this world. It is much thinner than Japanese and is seasoned with salt and sesame oil. They totally melt in your mouth. I just ordered a case from Amazon. My goal is to eventually make our own because eat package disappeared quickly, but until then, these will do.

http://www.amazon.com/Seas-Gift-Seaw...pr_product_top

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#123 of 156 Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
I read (maybe on this thread??? ) about boiling bone broth down so it's really concentrated, then putting it into ice cube trays and just throwing one in w/ various meals, casseroles, sauces, etc., to get a lot more broth without having to *drink* it all...

Just a thought! I'm doing it! (Ds isn't as much into soup and gravy atm, although he loves this BBQ sauce recipe, which has a broth base--you can use honey in place of the stevia if you'd rather--to taste--)
oh yes! i do this all the time though not quite into ice cube trays. i add broth to as much stuff as possible - bean-less chili, cooking water for beans (on those rare occasions we eat them), pasta sauce, cooking water for mashed potatoes, sauteed greens, stir-fries...

i also usually forget about it on the stove so it does end up being reduced to half the original volume. ds went through a phase as a toddler when he loved broth, then he hated it for a while (in fact, didn't want anything "saucy"), but now he loves his broth again.

oh yeah, a local farmer CANS her broth! of course, she told me that she needed the freezer space and she was dealing with 47 QUARTS of broth. *boggle*

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#124 of 156 Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 PM

I just opened up a capsule and tasted the zinc bisglycinate I've had for forever. Tastes pretty much like slightly sweet nothing. So I sprinkled some on dd's egg fried rice for lunch, and she spit it out, saying it tasted too sweet. Oops. We were doing so well, cutting back on the sugar treats. Any non-sugar ideas for hiding a slightly sweet powder?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#125 of 156 Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I just opened up a capsule and tasted the zinc bisglycinate I've had for forever. Tastes pretty much like slightly sweet nothing. So I sprinkled some on dd's egg fried rice for lunch, and she spit it out, saying it tasted too sweet. Oops. We were doing so well, cutting back on the sugar treats. Any non-sugar ideas for hiding a slightly sweet powder?
What about a teriyaki style sauce? I know it would have some sugar but...
Chili?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#126 of 156 Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM

Yeah... right after I wrote that, dd discovered the sucanat jar, and wanted to just eat that straight for a while.

And I just made some cranberry sauce, which she is also eating straight.

At least it's not candy?

#127 of 156 Old 01-02-2010, 03:40 PM

Probiotic Apple Pie Jello:

unflavored gelatin, water, coconut milk, kefir'ed apple cider, fresh apple cider (just a bit to sweeten), cinnamon.

I softened the gelatin in water, added boiling water to dissolve, then a can of coconut milk/cinnamon to cool it off, and finally the cider.

eta: any other gelatin ides that won't cause a massive sugar rush? Or just fun ones?

#128 of 156 Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:

eta: any other gelatin ides that won't cause a massive sugar rush? Or just fun ones?
I don't have the recipe anymore because i Returned it to the library but it was from the Garden of Eating cookbook. (Tanya has it )

It is similar to a smoothie but you add it softened gelatin and we also add egg yolk. The mixture ends up being fluffy. Kind of like old fashioned jello whip. We called it ice cream here. I sometimes add a nut butter and it is yummy.

hmmm. I wouldn't mind having the recipe again. anyone willing to post??

#129 of 156 Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Can you fry brewer's yeast? I am making chicken fingers and added nutritional yeast and brewer's yeast to the breading.

#130 of 156 Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I don't have the recipe anymore because i Returned it to the library but it was from the Garden of Eating cookbook. (Tanya has it )

It is similar to a smoothie but you add it softened gelatin and we also add egg yolk. The mixture ends up being fluffy. Kind of like old fashioned jello whip. We called it ice cream here. I sometimes add a nut butter and it is yummy.

hmmm. I wouldn't mind having the recipe again. anyone willing to post??
Was it this? Rachel's Smoothie Base?

1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
5 scoops vanilla or chocolate egg white protein or 1 2/3 cups dried, powdered egg white (yuck)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Stevia if egg white protein is unsweetened
2 teaspoons nonalcoholic vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon alcoholic vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla egg white protein)
1 tsp dried ginger or 1 tablespoon peeled, sliced or grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup ice water

1. Slowly sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup cool or cold water in saucepan. Warm over low heat, without boiling or stirring until gelatin melts and dissolved completely. Cover and let stand 2 min, then puree in a blender for 30 seconds, until frothy

2. Add remaining ingredients & blend until smooth

3. Divide mixture between 7 wide-mouth (16 oz) containers with tight lids. Keeps up to 6 days or freeze for longer storage.

4. To serve, add 1 Smoothie Base portion to a blender. Add fruit.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#131 of 156 Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 AM

hmm I think that was one option. The one I used was specifically for fruit. I think a few pages after that.

But this one might do for helping with portions.

Thanks!

Yeah the powdered egg white - yuck

#132 of 156 Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM

I think this was the "base" and everything else was just an add on.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#133 of 156 Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
5 scoops vanilla or chocolate egg white protein or 1 2/3 cups dried, powdered egg white (yuck)

I emailed her about that - that egg white powder is yuck, specifically - and she said that neither she nor Don use it anymore. but she didn't say what she replaced it with.

#134 of 156 Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
I emailed her about that - that egg white powder is yuck, specifically - and she said that neither she nor Don use it anymore. but she didn't say what she replaced it with.
how about an egg?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#135 of 156 Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM

chocolate strawberry mousse hides a lot - smoothie with cocoa powder, kefir, coconut milk, frozen strawberries, raw honey, supps, then blend in dissolved gelatin at the end. Got her to eat folate, calcium and biotin, plus gelatin and probiotics - all with lots of good fats, not too much sugar, and bifido-producing sugar (honey) at that!

I WILL get this girl healthy. I WILL get this girl healthy.

#136 of 156 Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 PM

We've been making crepes for breakfast. Filled with some jam and rolled up, they do a great job of hiding the bland powders - folate, biotin, zinc, and I can get a bit of calcium and some konjac into the batter. Breakfast of champions

#137 of 156 Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Konjac?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#138 of 156 Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Konjac?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1186269&page=4

#139 of 156 Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 AM

Nasty tasting B6 tablet in applesauce - I broke a tiny bit off my 50mg tablet, maybe 5mg? Crushed it ever so slightly, then mixed into homemade chunky applesauce with skins. I was going for small/soft enough to not affect texture too much, and still intact enough to not mess with the flavor too much.

#140 of 156 Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 PM

subbing

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#141 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 AM

Help?

How can I get mag into dd? I've got natural calm, and possibly mag citrate powder.

Today she ate (fairly typically):
dutch babies/maple syrup
chicken leg
mashed sweet potatoes
orange wedges
broccoli
meatballs
ketchup
apple

and refused my fallbacks:
apple juice
lemonade
applesauce
epsom salt bath (not that I've seen the mag from that affect her...)

any ideas? (this list is just to show the sorts of things she eats)

#142 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 AM

<kitten capsules>

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#143 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
<kitten capsules>
Did you see the title of the thread? Seriously, if you can figure out a way to get dd to happily swallow pills... She does NOT like the idea of eating non-food (capsules, emergenC, etc), and is suspicious of anything 'vitamin.' Knows the words (and talks about) magnesium and molybdenum. Has a fit if I so much as suggest that there's anything wrong with her body (not processing things right or whatever) and is scarred for several months to years by a single bad experience. Especially when low on vitamins.

I think I missed my window with the kitten caps. If I'd started them before she was so aware, it'd be a whole different story.

#144 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Did you see the title of the thread?
I dip them in maple syrup, does that count?

I've passed on kitten capsules to 11 different kids between 18 mo and 7 years here, and they all swallowed them, and in all but one case, are still swallowing those or larger capsules. I'm not saying it will work for everyone - but I don't think it's as impossible as it seems to sound, either .

If she wants "real food", heck, put broccoli inside the capsules . Could you get something like mega food magnesium (their zinc and B's crush easily into powder, so guessing the mag would as well). Show her the ingredients - all real food, they just turned it into powder. The B's actually don't taste too bad, maybe the mag wouldn't either?

I'm thinking that my daughter at that age (another easily scarred kid), didn't like to think anything was wrong with her - but she did like to be able to take control of what she put inside herself. Could you maybe put different things in capsules (or not, use the natural calm) and show her how to "crystal test" herself to decide what her body wants today?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#145 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
I dip them in maple syrup, does that count?

I've passed on kitten capsules to 11 different kids between 18 mo and 7 years here, and they all swallowed them, and in all but one case, are still swallowing those or larger capsules. I'm not saying it will work for everyone - but I don't think it's as impossible as it seems to sound, either .

If she wants "real food", heck, put broccoli inside the capsules . Could you get something like mega food magnesium (their zinc and B's crush easily into powder, so guessing the mag would as well). Show her the ingredients - all real food, they just turned it into powder. The B's actually don't taste too bad, maybe the mag wouldn't either?

I'm thinking that my daughter at that age (another easily scarred kid), didn't like to think anything was wrong with her - but she did like to be able to take control of what she put inside herself. Could you maybe put different things in capsules (or not, use the natural calm) and show her how to "crystal test" herself to decide what her body wants today?
It's a psychological thing. She's opposed to the concept of pills. She's the complete opposite of my in the logical department - NOT logical, and trying to reason my way in would just set up her guard. I'd be stunned if reading ingredients worked. And putting broccoli in - that's just

On the flip side, she doesn't object at all to me putting a capsule of calcium into the big batch of pancake batter or anything like that, doesn't even care what it is.

Dh would totally flip out if I tried to teach her crystal testing - it's a 'religious thing' to him. He chooses science, and would feel betrayed if I tried to get her on something like that (and stuff like homeopathy - I can try and use it on her if I really want, but he really doesn't want her *believing* in it).

Yeah, I got a fun hand, here.

#146 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Where did you order form again? I must try it for DS.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#147 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Dh would totally flip out if I tried to teach her crystal testing - it's a 'religious thing' to him. He chooses science, and would feel betrayed if I tried to get her on something like that (and stuff like homeopathy - I can try and use it on her if I really want, but he really doesn't want her *believing* in it).

Yeah, I got a fun hand, here.
would it help to know there's an expensive peer-reviewed Springer-Verlag book by a bunch of physicists and chemists on the topic of ultra-high dilutions, with homeopathy as only one such application?

#148 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
would it help to know there's an expensive peer-reviewed Springer-Verlag book by a bunch of physicists and chemists on the topic of ultra-high dilutions, with homeopathy as only one such application?
It would definitely be interesting, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Got a link?

#149 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM

http://books.google.com/books?id=XA4...age&q=&f=false

here's one link - but i swear the one i was thinking about was a wiley/springer book because i thought i took advantage of our library's agreement and downloaded the whole shebang. of course, it's buried somewhere on my hard drive.

there's another one with "homeopathy" in the book title that pops but i was looking for something less obviously... homeopathic.

#150 of 156 Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM

ah-ha! found it!
http://springerlink.metapress.com/co...9f8dfd7d1&pi=0

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page