Allergic reaction to curry - feel like a terrible mother! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-01-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11 month old DD has a horrible rash all over her little face from an allergic reaction to curry. My husband has severe allergies, and I have been super diligent about delaying solids, delaying high allergen foods, and following a 3-5 day rule. All my reading indicated that my DD was definitely old enough to try curry and that in other cultures children eat curry at a very early age.

I gave it to her last night, and she was fine. This morning she had it again and has a rash all over her face. She has a rash on her arm where she touched it with her food. I don't detect any sign of an anaphylactic reaction. I usually make my own curry, but I gave her a pre-blended curry powder and didn't even read all the ingredients. There are 9 new ingredients that she has never had before!!!

I am really upset with myself over this! After being so careful, I gave her 9 new ingredients at once! Have any of you had any experience with allergic reactions to curry? Was this an obviously stupid move on my part or a fluke?

Mommy to my Lamb, born 9/22/2008 and my Penguin, born 2/21/2011
: HypnoBirthing Mama

#2 of 9 Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Don't beat yourself up over it. She is close to a year, and my kids were both eating a lot of the same table foods as the rest of us by then. At least like you said it is a rash and not anaphylactic, and something now that you know to watch for. A good friend of mine has a DD that is allergic to soy in the same way and found out at about that age when she had something that had soy in it. Now she knows and just avoids soy. You sound like a caring, watchful mama, and I know your little one is lucky to have you.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#3 of 9 Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

My DD gets a rash from cinnamon, which is one of the more allergenic spices and a common curry ingredient. I'd also suspect cayenne pepper or whatever other spicy pepper the curry has.

An easy way to find the culprit in the curry is to put a tiny dab of the suspect ingredients on her cheeks. The skin on baby cheeks is quite sensitive and can quickly turn red when allergens are applied. I actually had to do that to identify cinnamon because after being careful for two years (DD has allergies) I let her eat a couple of bites of my food that had two new ingredients in it. Then I noticed that everywhere the food touched her skin was turning bright red and her lips were getting puffy. Oops!
#4 of 9 Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM

It wasn't a stupid move, you're human. My DD2 is allergic to green beans. Seriously? I would have never guessed. Oh! And blueberries. Seems like with food allergies you can do everything right and something just slips itself in there.
#5 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 AM

I can't even tell you how many foods my 4 yr old has tried, only to discover a complete body rash the next morning

my husband also has a slew of allergies so we've been extremely careful with intoducing new things but there have been times that one ingredient or another has slipped by- and we all have to pay.. It does get easier as they grow, and you *know* the offending foods, but I'm sure you'll be surprised on occasion..

many hugs.. your daughter's lucky to have such a loving mama!

mischievous.gif
#6 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 AM

You know, the research on allergies is actually pretty conflicted. Some research indicates that delaying exposure and doing things little by little is helpful. Other research actually indicates that early exposure is protective against allergies.

I don't think you were foolish in any way. My kids at 11 or 12 months were eating a well-balanced diet of all our normal foods...an intentional choice after much research.

The hardest thing now is that you don't know what exactly she was reacting to. Was it the curry, or was it in fact a specific ingrediant in that particular jar of curry? But you know it was one of the nine ingrediants, so that's a start. Meanwhile, I am sure curry is off your food list for now.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#7 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Moving to allergies.
#8 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn2 View Post
My DD gets a rash from cinnamon, which is one of the more allergenic spices and a common curry ingredient. I'd also suspect cayenne pepper or whatever other spicy pepper the curry has.
The cinnamon was my first thought as well. My DD2 used to get a contact rash from it.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#9 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies! I don't feel so horrible now, and I am so happy to discover this forum. I did not realize there was an allergies forum. I am sure I will be using it a lot over the years.

I have given her cinnamon plenty of times with no problems. In fact, the reason I wanted to introduce curry is because I didn't want to season all her foods with the same spices. I usually use cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg on her sweet potatoes, but I love curry on mine and thought I would give it a try. I also use those spices on spaghetti squash and apples. I have used garlic and black pepper on her chicken and dill on her carrots.

Yes, curry is off my list. I will try each of the nine ingredients individually at some point, but for now I will just stick to what we know is okay.

I have not had anything with peanuts in it since the day I found out I was pregnant, though, as Sierra mentioned, I may be doing the exact opposite of what I should do to help avoid allergies. I guess we just do what we can and hope for the best.

Mommy to my Lamb, born 9/22/2008 and my Penguin, born 2/21/2011
: HypnoBirthing Mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page