September Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I'd start with sulfate/sulfoxidation - it's needed for connective tissue. I'm blanking on anything else, though. Fits in nicely with the sals, no?
Yup, and not clearing metals well too. I think that's where his central issues are, and why sulphate supps work well for my family members. I need to learn more about what chews up zinc, though...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Dear Goddess Kathy,
How do you maintain your sanity cooking 15 meals a day?! I am barely holding it together just cooking 3.
: Where do I go to worship at your altar?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Dear Goddess Kathy,
How do you maintain your sanity cooking 15 meals a day?! I am barely holding it together just cooking 3.
I know. She's amazing.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Dear Goddess Kathy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I know. She's amazing.
Cut it out, you two.
You guys should know that I'm not sane! ::
Plus I've found out that I like cooking, especially creating new stuff, that was like the old stuff before we had to take out half the ingredients. I guess I just look at it that if I can make my kids feel like they're NOT really missing out on that much (because I'm making treats that they can have) then I'm doing something.

And a lot of my stuff isn't labor intensive. Chop and dice, stick it in a crockpot and cook all day. If I do a labor-intensive main dish, I'll do easy sides (rice in the rice cooker, and steamed broccoli). If it's an easy main dish (baked ham), I'll do something more labor intensive for a side (scalloped potatoes). And some nights, we just do hot dogs and hamburgers.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 AM

And you guys were all supposed to look at my duh moment on my All About Me thread to see what a flake I am.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 AM

What's in mango? Dd has a SERIOUS, ongoing mango addiction, and it's not jiving so well with my local food addiction.

And how in the world can I get this little girl to sleep? I don't know if it's a reaction, or me messing with naps, or a developmental thing, but she's been up till 10 or 11 for the past week, with or without a nap. I need more sleep. Dh needs more project time. We're falling apart over here. What gives?

And speaking of neighbors, who wants to move to sunny California? Or just come for a vacation? I could do with fewer funny looks and more playdates!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
And speaking of neighbors, who wants to move to sunny California? Or just come for a vacation? I could do with fewer funny looks and more playdates!
One of these days (or years), we're going to go out to visit my brother in Palo Alto. Are you anywhere close?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
One of these days (or years), we're going to go out to visit my brother in Palo Alto. Are you anywhere close?
Seriously!? Yeah, I'm about a 3 minute walk from Palo Alto! That's where I grew up! Come visit!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:30 AM

Mango increases dopamine, iirc.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Pat
okay, I'm way too tired to make sense of this, but mango skin? Seed? Fruit? Has anti-tyrosinase and that's somehow related to dopamine and melanin and chelating copper. My head is spinning. To bed with me, and in the morning I'm creating a raw food feast with my mom and finally starting my classes, which means making up the last week that I couldn't access them... So I probably won't get a chance to research further. Thanks for the lead, though!
http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/14/1/257/pdf

night!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Pat
Huh.
I keep forgetting if I have high or low dopamine (by symptoms).
I'm going to guess low, assuming the above is true.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Huh.
I keep forgetting if I have high or low dopamine (by symptoms).
I'm going to guess low, assuming the above is true.
High - OCD/paranoia (with low serotonin)
Low - aspie kid who can't talk about anything but (nutrition biochem)

really going to bed now

Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Wanna meet in the redwoods??

Quote:
Low - aspie kid who can't talk about anything but (nutrition biochem)

really going to bed now
:

ETA: DS is TALKING. He used 3 different words today. And a two word phrase. He only had two words before this, and didn't use them much. He's still hyper (backing off more B vitamins, I think I'm taking too much B6 for him). But he's TALKING. He might not tomorrow. But today he did. I have no idea what that means. And life is weird indeed when I am sharing that in the allergy forum rather than special needs, but whatever :P.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Can I join in? I'm new to this world of allergies (and, well, starving to death!) for a brief intro: ds (3.5 months) has had severe yeast most his life. Its covering him head to toe. He has horrendous cradle cap, and some eczema. I've tried pretty much everything to get rid of the yeast with no luck, and finally today went to the ped and got him on diflucan On my own I eliminated dairy, soy, and gluten. And of course, after a while starting thinking I was absolutely nuts. Yeast is a fungus, not an allergic reaction. And cradle cap is common in babies. And the eczema, meh, its really not that noticable.. why am I acting like he's allergic to these things when I don't KNOW he is? I think, really, that I just was desensitized to how his skin looked. It was too normalized to me. On a visit to my midwife, she saw him and was sooo shocked at how he looked. Then he started having open sores in his diaper area and I was SO upset.. ugh.. looking at him without a diaper on was literally making me choke up. So, to the ped we went. It was a validating visit. Turns out I WAS helping the yeast go away, (well, make no mistake, he's still pretty yeasty) but it was simply replacing itself with more of an "allergic reaction" rash! (currently accusing the charlie's soap the diapers were washed in) and she definitely thinks he is reacting to something in my milk, and agrees with my eliminating dairy/soy/gluten and suggested I add nuts as well. And the cradle cap.. is definitely beyond the "normal baby" cradle cap. Whew. I am not crazy.

Soo.. I guess thats where we are! I gotta say though, reading about what some of you have to eliminate is really giving me the jitters That just seems.. so, SO hard! (every post makes me paranoid that I'll have to eliminate that, too!) I don't know if I could do it if I had to eliminate much more! But.. I never thought I'd be able to eliminate dairy, or gluten. And here I am. I suppose I'm willing to do whatever it takes to see my baby healthy. Oh.. and I think I may have royally screwed up the whole dairy elimination thing. I've been giving him a probiotic thats in a lactose base every day :/ Might be why I haven't noticed a difference yet, crap!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
okay, I'm way too tired to make sense of this, but mango skin? Seed? Fruit? Has anti-tyrosinase and that's somehow related to dopamine and melanin and chelating copper. My head is spinning. To bed with me, and in the morning I'm creating a raw food feast with my mom and finally starting my classes, which means making up the last week that I couldn't access them... So I probably won't get a chance to research further. Thanks for the lead, though!
http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/14/1/257/pdf

night!
Mangos chelate copper? Interesting. I always think that mangos taste really gross, very sharp. What else is a copper chelator? I'm wondering if my body needs the copper for some reason so I don't want the things that'll reduce it. That would be weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
ETA: DS is TALKING. He used 3 different words today. And a two word phrase. He only had two words before this, and didn't use them much. He's still hyper (backing off more B vitamins, I think I'm taking too much B6 for him). But he's TALKING. He might not tomorrow. But today he did. I have no idea what that means. And life is weird indeed when I am sharing that in the allergy forum rather than special needs, but whatever :P.
That's awesome mamafish9!

Welcome LilStar. Yes, the probiotic may not be helping, with the lactose. If you DO have to eliminate any more, corn and egg are BIG eczema triggers. I would eliminate corn before eliminating eggs. You could also do a RAST test to see if any of them are IgE allergies. If you have to eliminate more foods, you will. I think most of the women here are stronger than they thought they were. It's amazing the lengths some will go to to get their kids healthy.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:

That's totally awesome.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mamafish, wow! :

LilStar--you're reading words from each of us NOW, after we've learned that we can do far more than we ever conceived of. I was panicked at the idea of removing gluten and dairy from our diets, I felt desperate, and it took quite a while to feel fairly comfortable with it. And now I realize I can deal with almost anything. But I didn't feel like this at the start, I lurked for a long time and felt like I think you feel.

I'd say replace that probiotic with a hypoallergenic one, I think there may be threads with links in the Resources sticky, and as Kathy said, consider corn or eggs. Eggs are definitely easier to take out, but corn's fairly problematic too (I think more people are egg-free than corn-free here, am I mistaken in this?). And eventually get around to some of the nutrients threads, you'll want to, at a minimum, keep up with some of the B vits and such that can get low depending on what you're eating. I like a hypoallergenic multivit for this, but I'm more comfortable popping lots of pills than many here. And welcome.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Anyone know of a soy, dairy, and gluten free chocolate bar? Dd had a reaction to a Tropical Source chocolate bar, it must have been the soy as that would be the most direct exposure to soy she's ever had. Now I have to wait for the rash to go away before I can trial the goat milk kefir I am getting today.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Wanna meet in the redwoods??
yeah! We're talking about another camping trip before it starts raining, or we could find a cabin to rent in the snow. I love the mountains, and wish we could get out there more...

Quote:
wow! Yay! Could it be that the craziness was him detoxing and now his load is a little lighter? Go mamafish's ds!

Lilstar, just take it one day at a time, know that there are physiological reasons why gluten and dairy are HARD to eliminate for some, and keep up the good work. A lot of us are finding nutrient deficiencies are what is causing us to be so reactive. I personally find it a lot easier to add vitamins than to take away foods. We're still not a success story, but I've been trying to organize my nutrition notes at eatingcultures.com and detoxpuzzle.com. If you want to try that route, start yourself a thread, and we'll try to help you brainstorm.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Anyone know of a soy, dairy, and gluten free chocolate bar? Dd had a reaction to a Tropical Source chocolate bar, it must have been the soy as that would be the most direct exposure to soy she's ever had. Now I have to wait for the rash to go away before I can trial the goat milk kefir I am getting today.
Enjoy life makes one. They also make soy, dairy & gluten free chocolate chips. I'm ashamed to say I'm addicted to them.

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_fo...late_bars.html

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 09-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Can I join in?
Yes! Please jump right in! I'm glad you're joining us, though I'm sad you have cause to do.
Quote:
I'm new to this world of allergies (and, well, starving to death!) for a brief intro: ds (3.5 months) has had severe yeast most his life. Its covering him head to toe. He has horrendous cradle cap, and some eczema. I've tried pretty much everything to get rid of the yeast with no luck, and finally today went to the ped and got him on diflucan On my own I eliminated dairy, soy, and gluten. And of course, after a while starting thinking I was absolutely nuts. Yeast is a fungus, not an allergic reaction. And cradle cap is common in babies. And the eczema, meh, its really not that noticable.. why am I acting like he's allergic to these things when I don't KNOW he is? I think, really, that I just was desensitized to how his skin looked. It was too normalized to me.
Does this sound like WugMama when she first came here? I seem to remember her saying something similar but I could be tripping...
Quote:
On a visit to my midwife, she saw him and was sooo shocked at how he looked. Then he started having open sores in his diaper area and I was SO upset.. ugh.. looking at him without a diaper on was literally making me choke up. So, to the ped we went. It was a validating visit. Turns out I WAS helping the yeast go away, (well, make no mistake, he's still pretty yeasty) but it was simply replacing itself with more of an "allergic reaction" rash! (currently accusing the charlie's soap the diapers were washed in) and she definitely thinks he is reacting to something in my milk, and agrees with my eliminating dairy/soy/gluten and suggested I add nuts as well. And the cradle cap.. is definitely beyond the "normal baby" cradle cap. Whew. I am not crazy.
I'm sorry it's been so difficult.
Quote:
Soo.. I guess thats where we are! I gotta say though, reading about what some of you have to eliminate is really giving me the jitters That just seems.. so, SO hard! (every post makes me paranoid that I'll have to eliminate that, too!) I don't know if I could do it if I had to eliminate much more! But.. I never thought I'd be able to eliminate dairy, or gluten. And here I am. I suppose I'm willing to do whatever it takes to see my baby healthy. Oh.. and I think I may have royally screwed up the whole dairy elimination thing. I've been giving him a probiotic thats in a lactose base every day :/ Might be why I haven't noticed a difference yet, crap!
I still feel that way some days! Particularly with the new LO. I don't think that any foods are bothering him, but it's constantly at the back of my mind, niggling, that I should be food journaling "just in case", if for no other reason.

Deb!! So exciting!! : I hope he keeps talking! What wonderful progress, even if it's just one day though! I remember how excited I was when DS1 finally started getting words after I removed food coloring and whey from his diet (his speech was delayed and my doctor was on the verge of dx'ing him with autism for a LOT of behaviour, all of which changed when I removed food coloring and whey). : and :

Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM

mamafish!!!! HE'S TALKING!!!!!! I'm so happy for your family to have this glimpse of progress... keep up the good work. Go minerals! Go zeolites! Wow!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 09-04-2009, 03:15 PM

(Taslyn is seriously in love with her new flower essence remedy for helping her release metals naturally at her own pace... I love how happy and excited she is about her remedy. AND the Brainchild minerals arrived yesterday but she doesn't like the flavor... I'm going to try to disguise them in honey. AND zeolites are on sale $36 a bottle, so we're going to give them a whirl too.)

Re: the cast iron and steel cookware discussion. I met with my old lovely kinesiologist/chiro yesterday, the one who taught me to crystal test. Man, it was so good to see him again. Anyhoo, we of course discussed metals and he offered me some black supplement which didn't pass the crystal test, and then we talked about cookware and testing. His recommendation is to boil water with baking soda in the cookware in question and see if it tastes like baking soda or metals... so I guess we'll give that a whirl.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 09-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Aww, thanks everyone . I have no idea if zeolite made this difference, pulling metals. I think he was still reacting to B vites I was taking (I stopped my Perque multi yesterday and he finally had a good night's sleep and is MUCH calmer today). But in along with that have been some small improvements. Talking is HUGE though. I read that lots of autism kids start talking after a couple of rounds of chelation, but I surely didn't expect that in my non-verbal 2.5 year old, especially since I'm still not sure exactly what the zeolite did to him. I know it depleted his zinc and mag (we're getting signs of deficiency for both), but I don't know whether it just pulled minerals, or it pulled metals and stretched his detox pathways (and used up more zinc/mag). Whatever! And you'll laugh, almost all his words were about getting outside - his two words were "outside dada". Needless to say, he got to go out .

LilStar, I so get how that feels - I thought I would starve when we we started this a few months ago! It won't take long to get a lot more comfortable though. We're "only" gluten, dairy, corn, and most fruits free now, and that feels like an expansive diet . I definitely second Kathy's suggestion to try pulling corn. It's tricky (basically cook everything from scratch, there's corn in everything storebought), but I know lots of people have eczema issues with corn. And I second watching your nutrients too - I didn't do enough of that, and I think I created some additional deficiencies for us in the early days.

Oh, and we went to a playdate for the new kindergarten kids the other day, and met a really nice family who had just moved into the neighborhood. We talked for a long time, exchanged contact info, and later I emailed and invited them for a BBQ Monday. I get back this "so sorry to be a pain, but [DH] has celiac - we can just bring his food, or we could get together not around food" email. Hee hee. It was so nice to be able to reply with "no worries, we're GF too, and I'll totally watch x-con while I make dinner. Can he do BRM GF oats in burgers, I know some celiacs can't. And not a pain at all - wait until I bring my GFDF corn free mostly fruit free 2yo to your house ". Seriously - possible new friends who are really cool AND get food intolerances????

ETA: Shannon - yeah, we'd totally meet you for camping/cabining! We need to work around school schedules now, but that would be so much fun - in 1.5 years of living here, we haven't made it to the redwoods yet, and they're only 4.5 hours away, so we've been itching to go.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
where is there zeolite for $36? My mom's a distributor and I get it from her at cost for around $42.

Corn... : I just finished off a turkey avocado wrap in a corn tortilla. Closest thing to a sandwich I can get!

Hey, is crystal testing using a crystal as a pendulum and asking it questions? My mom taught me to do that with a washer. I just use my wedding ring because..like I have washers sitting around my house, ha.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, and we went to a playdate for the new kindergarten kids the other day, and met a really nice family who had just moved into the neighborhood. We talked for a long time, exchanged contact info, and later I emailed and invited them for a BBQ Monday. I get back this "so sorry to be a pain, but [DH] has celiac - we can just bring his food, or we could get together not around food" email. Hee hee. It was so nice to be able to reply with "no worries, we're GF too, and I'll totally watch x-con while I make dinner. Can he do BRM GF oats in burgers, I know some celiacs can't. And not a pain at all - wait until I bring my GFDF corn free mostly fruit free 2yo to your house ". Seriously - possible new friends who are really cool AND get food intolerances????

ETA: Shannon - yeah, we'd totally meet you for camping/cabining! We need to work around school schedules now, but that would be so much fun - in 1.5 years of living here, we haven't made it to the redwoods yet, and they're only 4.5 hours away, so we've been itching to go.
Yay for new friends who get food intolerances! :
I've never been to the Redwoods and I've been here for alomst 5 years.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
where is there zeolite for $36? My mom's a distributor and I get it from her at cost for around $42.

Corn... : I just finished off a turkey avocado wrap in a corn tortilla. Closest thing to a sandwich I can get!

Hey, is crystal testing using a crystal as a pendulum and asking it questions? My mom taught me to do that with a washer. I just use my wedding ring because..like I have washers sitting around my house ha.
Three words for you: brown rice tortilla. There's a recipe in the sticky. Although you'd need to replace xanthan with guar and corn starch with tapioca or potato starch if you were corn free.
No washers? Really? DH isn't a handyman in the least (one friend asked "Can he even SWING a hammer?" when we were renovating the first house) and we have washers all over the place. Not sure what that's about..

ETA: D'oh. It's not a sticky anymore. I keep forgetting.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM

http://www.zeolite.org/

Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Okay. Who wants to tell me what gives?
I think I mentioned before my near total lack of loss of weight since having Marius... However, in the last 2 weeks, I've suddenly lost enough weight/girth to fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans.... As in, 2 weeks ago I couldn't get them over my thighs and now suddenly they fit properly.
So, somehow, eating more (including more fat) and/or dropping a bunch of supplements has me losing weight.
Not complaining... I'm going to go back to eating the bacon that's supposed to be for lunch now.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:52 PM

Redwoods here are easy to come by - just turning my head and looking out windows, I can see 3 of them so what redwoods are you thinking? It's about a two hour drive up to davis/sacramento, but I haven't been much further north than that. Tahoe/Yosemite is probably too far for you? What sort of school schedule are you working with? It'd be a lot easier for us if it can happen before, say, January, and it'll be getting pretty cold/wet by the end of october. Anyone else want to come? JR... You know you want to drive long distances with 3 kids... Waluso? You around?

eta: speaking of weight loss, my slow nursing gain has finally stopped! I'm now holding steady where I was when dd was born. But the belly's getting bigger. (the ILs all guessed but didn't say anything. I was 10 weeks when they were here!) Now I'm losing the weight on my face. woo hoo! Now if only I can manage to gain overall... I didn't gain anything third trimester last time.

User Tag List