September Chat - Page 33 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#961 of 985 Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JR - I'm thinking of you and your son, for a good surgery and a fast recovery.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 of 985 Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 PM

JR, hugs & prayers for your family.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#963 of 985 Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 PM

I finally get time to myself to do my homework, and what do I discover? My tooth is crumbling, painlessly. Advice anyone?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#964 of 985 Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 PM

I have no idea, Shannon, sorry.

Just got an update. DS1 just came out of surgery. The appendix was perforated and there's a small abscess which was drained. He should be out of the hospital Monday, though the doctor said it *could* be as soon as tomorrow (but most likely Monday).
I feel so incredibly wiped out. DS2's going to be up late too bc he went for a nap and DS3 was awake so I couldn't take the same opportunity. Oh well. The life of a mom, right?
Found some safe bouillon cubes I bought some time ago so I sent those to the hospital with DH until I can scrape a few other things together.
I am so getting DS3 to sleep in the bed with DS2 and I tonight. And I'm going to bed early.
DH's coming to get me. We're dropping DS2 and DS3 off at SIL's so I can be there when DS1 wakes up.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#965 of 985 Old 10-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I have no idea, Shannon, sorry.

Just got an update. DS1 just came out of surgery. The appendix was perforated and there's a small abscess which was drained. He should be out of the hospital Monday, though the doctor said it *could* be as soon as tomorrow (but most likely Monday).
I feel so incredibly wiped out. DS2's going to be up late too bc he went for a nap and DS3 was awake so I couldn't take the same opportunity. Oh well. The life of a mom, right?
Found some safe bouillon cubes I bought some time ago so I sent those to the hospital with DH until I can scrape a few other things together.
I am so getting DS3 to sleep in the bed with DS2 and I tonight. And I'm going to bed early.
DH's coming to get me. We're dropping DS2 and DS3 off at SIL's so I can be there when DS1 wakes up.
Sounds like it went well. Glad to hear it. wonderful that they feel he can come home soon. Certainly less stress for you.

Take care of yourself!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#966 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 01:43 AM

JR, I'm glad everything seems to have gone OK. Hugs to you - I hope the next two days go as easily as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I finally get time to myself to do my homework, and what do I discover? My tooth is crumbling, painlessly. Advice anyone?
Oh no, blug! Personally, I'd consider having it pulled with just local anesthesia. Second trimester is the easiest time to have the work done (less risky than first trimester, and it's really hard to lie on your back for long in the third). Bad teeth can cause systemic infection issues that can cause early labor, and I'd be worried about it abscessing or something later in your pregnancy. But that's just me - and my teeth always head for the worst case scenario...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#967 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 03:06 AM

gotta tell ya.. creeped out to be home alone, no transportation, 2 kids, on the highway at night in a house with a past suicide so close to a full moon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#968 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
gotta tell ya.. creeped out to be home alone, no transportation, 2 kids, on the highway at night in a house with a past suicide so close to a full moon.
You will be FINE. And so will your son.

Thinking of you both. And headed to bed.

(DS' allergy bucket filled up last night, and we were sleeping with an eggbeater again. I should catch up on my sleep while I can.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#969 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I've been avoiding posting because I've been bad

At River's last wbv, about 2 weeks ago, the ped kept saying "his skin looks great!" said his cradle cap was "healing" (I had picked it off a week ago and it was coming BACK! I told her this, but she said it was healing. Whatever.) and she didn't think he was allergic to anything. She didn't seem to remember how not 2 weeks before that appt when we went in, she agreed with me and said that even though she doesn't like to have breastfeeding moms restrict their diets, she thought it was necessary in my case. So I was looking over him later.. and thinking... hey, he doesn't really look like he has eczema. Maybe just one little patch.. but he's fine.. I'm being ridiculous starving myself like this.. and the next day I went to burgerville (local fast food chain, its SOOO GOOOD!! Doesn't even deserve to be called fast food, totally different league) and had a CHEESEburger with a very gluten filled bun, and a nice big chocolate shake *licks lips*. I kept saying I was just going to "try" it and see if there's a reaction. Well, 2 weeks later I'm still "trying" things.

The ridiculous thing is, when I was looking him over thinking "he doesn't look so bad after all" it didn't even occur to me that, the elimination diet WORKED. Needless to say, his eczema is back. The spit up never went away though not one little bit.

Last night, and its happened before but I can't remember if it was while I was eliminating or not, no idea when it was, but he was kinda mucousy in the middle of the night. A stuffy nose, not stuffy enough to make it difficult for him to nurse, just enough to get him good and annoyed and prevent him from sleeping restfully. In the morning when he spit up it was pretty mucousy. He doesn't have a cold at all, and hasn't been snotty during the day. Could that be because I've been naughty with the dairy?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#970 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LilStar: Yes, it could be the dairy and whatever else you're having. The spit up could be from another food. All foods don't cause the same symptoms in the same child. Ask me how I know.... At least you can see it and you're not oblivious (and you had 2 weeks of real food).

Jacqueline: My thoughts are with you. Glad to hear he got out of surgery okay. Have a little Mg to help your anxiety (or eat a handful of pine nuts, my personal solution). I hope he's home soon. Get some rest when you can.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#971 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I've been avoiding posting because I've been bad

At River's last wbv, about 2 weeks ago, the ped kept saying "his skin looks great!" said his cradle cap was "healing" (I had picked it off a week ago and it was coming BACK! I told her this, but she said it was healing. Whatever.) and she didn't think he was allergic to anything. She didn't seem to remember how not 2 weeks before that appt when we went in, she agreed with me and said that even though she doesn't like to have breastfeeding moms restrict their diets, she thought it was necessary in my case. So I was looking over him later.. and thinking... hey, he doesn't really look like he has eczema. Maybe just one little patch.. but he's fine.. I'm being ridiculous starving myself like this.. and the next day I went to burgerville (local fast food chain, its SOOO GOOOD!! Doesn't even deserve to be called fast food, totally different league) and had a CHEESEburger with a very gluten filled bun, and a nice big chocolate shake *licks lips*. I kept saying I was just going to "try" it and see if there's a reaction. Well, 2 weeks later I'm still "trying" things.

The ridiculous thing is, when I was looking him over thinking "he doesn't look so bad after all" it didn't even occur to me that, the elimination diet WORKED. Needless to say, his eczema is back. The spit up never went away though not one little bit.

Last night, and its happened before but I can't remember if it was while I was eliminating or not, no idea when it was, but he was kinda mucousy in the middle of the night. A stuffy nose, not stuffy enough to make it difficult for him to nurse, just enough to get him good and annoyed and prevent him from sleeping restfully. In the morning when he spit up it was pretty mucousy. He doesn't have a cold at all, and hasn't been snotty during the day. Could that be because I've been naughty with the dairy?
You might have a great teaching moment on your hands - go back to the doc, and say, "I followed your advice, and stopped the diet, and now the eczema is back. What should I do?" and hopefully she'll make the connection. And then if it's going well, you could say how it's going to be so much harder to go back to it now, and you wish you hadn't tested it in the first place...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#972 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I have been using Custom Probiotics for myself and DD (www.customprobiotics.com). I have been using the blend of six strains for myself and the infant formula for DD. I believe PB originally recommended it. It has no dairy, gluten, corn, etc., and also no FOS. It is concentrated so you may have to start with less at first or you may react. They were also very responsive and helpful when I called and asked questions.

Thanks for the link, waluso. These are a bit out of my price range though... I may have to keep searching. If I don't find anything, maybe I could swing it once and take them every other day... I read the list of exclusions and it didn't mention corn. Are you sure there is no corn?

And for JR - speedy recovery wishes for your DS.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#973 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 01:09 PM

my manners totally abandon me sometimes. thanks for the well wishes everyone.

#974 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 03:14 PM

Just ordered some probiotics from Gipro. I searched the forums and found a post recommending GIpro (thanks kjbrown)...

It is very difficult to find dairy, corn, soy, gluten, wheat free probiotics, and even though these are not completely dairy free, the poster said her dairy sensitive children do fine with it... so I will try it. It should be here in 3 days!

In the meantime, DS and I will be eating LOTS of coconut milk yogurt!

By the way... I gave DS lots of mag yesterday (directly).. NO TWIDDLING -
AT ALL - last night! (thought you would like to know that, Whome). If this continues, I am going to be one happy mama!

#975 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
Just ordered some probiotics from Gipro. I searched the forums and found a post recommending GIpro (thanks kjbrown)...

It is very difficult to find dairy, corn, soy, gluten, wheat free probiotics, and even though these are not completely dairy free, the poster said her dairy sensitive children do fine with it... so I will try it. It should be here in 3 days!

In the meantime, DS and I will be eating LOTS of coconut milk yogurt!

AT ALL - last night! (thought you would like to know that, Whome). If this continues, I am going to be one happy mama!
How did you get the mag into him. Thats where I'm stuck.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#976 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Woo hoo!! Nice to see such a fast result, that will keep you motivated to get mag into him daily (I know it's a pain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
We use 4 different things:

1) magnesium oil (you spray it on).
2) Epsom salts baths.
3) Kirkman mag glycinate powder - tastes vaguely fruity, and I've figured out enough ways to hide it to get a decent amount in him. It would likely hide fine in juice. I use bacon, ground beef/lamb, peanut butter, and blackstrap molasses cookies.
4) brainchild mag liquid - about 1/2 tsp at a time in his coconut yogurt, 2-3x a day.

Oh, and working to get the antimony and arsenic out of him so that I don't have to get so much mag into him!!!

#977 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 PM

nak (as always)
where are you getting your beef from Deb? the one place i called (last autumn) said i had to call during calfing season to get one reserved... so now i'm waiting for like... feb/march to roll around again so i can order one

#978 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM

mamafish- I'm ready for kefir grains... on the far north west coast...

peeking in here from the library as one of my bad bad goat kids chewed the cable that hooks up to the internet. miss you guys. i had more amalgams removed yesterday and the crystal says my breastmilk is safe, though ben is entertaining taslyn away from me as much as possible. lots of interesting things happening... i'll catch us up next week when we get internet back at home. (hint: i believe that taslyn is no longer reacting to corn, not that we've done a big trial or anything.) anyhoo, i'm outta time. see ya soon.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#979 of 985 Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link, waluso. These are a bit out of my price range though... I may have to keep searching. If I don't find anything, maybe I could swing it once and take them every other day... I read the list of exclusions and it didn't mention corn. Are you sure there is no corn?
I asked them about corn and they said there was no corn. But that was probably a year ago.

JR - I'm glad DS1 is okay and sending you wishes for a speedy recovery! I had my appendix out a few months ago and was surprised at how quickly I healed (they took it out laparascopicly). Hopefully he will recover quickly also!

Shannon - So sorry about the tooth. Can you go to a more holistic dentist for a second opinion? I believe there are a few in our area but I haven't been to any of them.

Had a dr appt last week with a more holistic dr with lots of experience with allergies. This was our second visit and I wasn't thrilled with him the first time, but this time was better. DD had a stool test done and showed lots of gut inflamation. The dr said he has seen good results with kids with intolerances after taking CLO or fish oil (for the omega 3s) and probiotics. For DD (16 mos, 20 lbs), he recommended double the recommended dose of CLO/fish oil (I haven't been able to get her to take liquid CLO so we are trying Nordic Naturals DHA capsules) and 25 billion CFUs of probiotics a day. We will redo the stool test in a few months and see if it is better.

Also, he says there is no reason DD needs breastmilk during the day at this point. He was not suggesting I wean but that I didn't need to pump and have her fed breastmilk while I am at work. What are your thoughts on that? It actually would take a lot of pressure off me because I am always stressing about pumping enough milk but I'm not entirely convinced it doesn't add much nutritional value. I will still have to pump to keep up supply but perhaps I can cut back on how often I pump. Do you think once a day (in 9-10 hours) would be sufficient?
#980 of 985 Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
nak (as always)
where are you getting your beef from Deb? the one place i called (last autumn) said i had to call during calfing season to get one reserved... so now i'm waiting for like... feb/march to roll around again so i can order one
A place called polyrock ranch south of town - it's beefalo, actually (buffalo/beef cross) - it's where i'm getting my raw milk too. She has a couple of quarters left for the nov 17 date, $2/lb hanging weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
mamafish- I'm ready for kefir grains... on the far north west coast...
PM me your addy, and I'll send you some. I'll trade for some advice on how to make cheddar cheese from raw milk.

#981 of 985 Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 AM

even better!
can you pm me w/ her info? dh's w/ ds1 @ the hospital so can't talk to him about it just now but i am interested

#982 of 985 Old 10-04-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
even better!
can you pm me w/ her info? dh's w/ ds1 @ the hospital so can't talk to him about it just now but i am interested
Here's a link to a page with their contact info and location. They have eggs too, not sure how often you get to town, but they're yummy.

#983 of 985 Old 10-04-2009, 02:13 AM

link?

i'm craving chocolate. all i have in the house is baking chocolate- unsweetened... so i'm eating it with honey.

#984 of 985 Old 10-04-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
- pumpkin seeds
- epsom salt mixed with water
- coconut milk (which is fortified with lots of mag)
- epsom salt bath

I have a hard time finding supplements that don't bother us... so I try to get as much "food" nutrients into him as possible. I noticed a BIG difference especially at bedtime. Of course, that was only yesterday... Today, he wasn't so excited about eating tons of pumpkin seeds and coconut milk.

Bedtime tonight wasnt great, but still no twiddling, headbutting, or kicking. Tomorrow, I will try some other foods and maybe look into a mag supplement for him.

#985 of 985 Old 10-04-2009, 02:26 PM

New chat thread.
Welcome to October, ladies!

User Tag List