Forum Jump: 

#121 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
that's just mean.
I wasn't trying to be mean. I know her back hurts when she has even tiny amounts of chocolate... (Remember when she licked one of her DC's spoons on the way from serving it to taking it to them and her back hurt just from that?) I also realized she currently has a UTI after I posted that though.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#122 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
And from the other page, Kathy, I'm so sorry about the place that made your pork products burning down, that's horrible! I mean, yes, obviously horrible for the employees and owners, but adding that on top of everything else for you,
:
And if I don't communicate very clearly today, my apologies. As I said, the nurslings kept me up most of the night... Not entirely sure what was up with them.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#123 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JR on the lack of sleep, that's hard. And I hate it when I can't figure out why the kids (usually DS) has poor sleep. It periodically just happens. Any chance for a nap for you today?
#124 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Kathy, have some maple walnut ice cream for me. That, butter pecan and mint chocolate chip are my favourite flavours. Guess which one I could eat, even if I could do dairy/soy/coconut? That's right. None. I miss ice cream. Rice cream sucks donkey hooves.
Got 2 hours of sleep between the 2 nurslings last night. I am so getting coffee this morning with DH- albeit "decaf".
I never liked the rice dream or any rice milk ice cream. I feel so sorry for you Jacqueline!

Quote:
Did you taste the chocolate, Kathy?
Quote:
that's just mean.
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be mean. I know her back hurts when she has even tiny amounts of chocolate... (Remember when she licked one of her DC's spoons on the way from serving it to taking it to them and her back hurt just from that?) I also realized she currently has a UTI after I posted that though.
My back hurts different from the UTI side pain. God, I'm such a mess! (is there a bigger exclamation point on this keyboard?) No, I didn't taste the chocolate ice cream (I thought of you guys all cyber-yelling at me and I resisted). I started to do the maple, but it didn't taste like much, so I made it chocolate (especially because DS has been really wanting chocolate ice cream). I figure I can have my key lime bars. And Jacqueline, I did do the starch instead of the gelatin (used sweet potato starch since I didn't have any tapioca). It tasted good. It's chilling for dinner. The dough for the crusty part tasted good too.

My back has been hurting for 3-4 days. Though I had a pillow on my chair outside today and one of the neighbors asked me if my back was bothering me. I said yes, and she asked what I'd done. Duh. So I said Thursday I cleaned the nursery school (2.5 hours intensive cleaning of bathrooms, windows, stapling, moving furniture) and was in the kitchen about 3 hours cooking for DH and yesterday I vacuumed out the car, then packed it, vacuumed and mopped the whole first floor, and ironed all of DH's shirts, cleaned the whole kitchen, then sat in the car for 3.5 hours. So maybe it's not food. Maybe I just need to chill out for a couple days.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#125 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Kathy, I think any of those activities alone would make my back hurt, but all together?!? I hope you feel better soon!
#126 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Kathy, I think any of those activities alone would make my back hurt, but all together?!? I hope you feel better soon!
: Tanya is saying everything I want to today. Sometimes I wonder if she's not my second self.

Just got back from the farmer's market. Lots of yummy fruit: pears, apples, plums, and peaches. Got chard, tomatoes, onions, squash and peppers.

Had to run to the store for fish. Today is fish day- one of our 2 on the menu. I think I need to rearrange things so that fish day is the day after market day, or as close as the rotation allows so I don't have to go to market mid-week. I prefer only 1 shopping trip per week. I know I could freeze it but... Really? I live beside the ocean and I'm eating frozen fish? C'mon now.
Got the fish home and now I'm worrying again... I forgot to ask if they spray their fish with milk. Please send goodvibes this way that DS1 doesn't react.
Also, got some ideas for another seafood day while standing waiting for service at the fish market. Crab cakes and shrimp stir fry. I know, how very inspired right? But the only fish I'd ever eaten prior to this was pan fried, usually caught the same day or in a box.

#127 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Interesting. We seem to have more OCD/ASD behaviors on high vit A, I've observed. Could be a different variable. But, if ds drinks a lot of foods which have vit A retinal (rice milk, Emerg-C), there is increased loudness/noise generation and bouncing/jumping in circles-hyper type behavior. The only variable I could discern on 3 separate occasions was increased vit A, synthetic, not just palmitate.

He does react to high sals similarly.

Pat
Hmm, interesting. That's the kind of thing I wanted to know. I think I will try more A, but VERY slowly. Lots of supps seem to cause the loud-bouncing-hyper reaction for DS, so I want to be careful.

Quote:
http://www.vitacost.com/InterPlexus-Vitamin-A-Nutrisorb

I like the ingredients in this vitA supp better.

Why? (Sorry, I'm an idiot on different vitA forms, I know Cutler recommends anything in retinyl form).

I'm assuming your DS won't do cod liver oil?

Not enough. He eats lots of salmon, and I do CLO. I liked the idea of a single drop form of VitA, call me lazy, but I spend the whole day trying to get supps into the poor kid. Also, he doesn't get over viral bugs very fast, and I've read that vitA mega doses can be really useful for that.

I'm considering buying this Nutrisorb vitA so that I've got something on-hand for dosing during bad illnesses. If we ever get a rash illness, I'd like to have something around, and PB mentioned recently that supp-ing vitA during pertussis was very helpful, which I found fascinating, it never occurred to me as a pertussis concern. And I figure we're likely to get WC before we get anything else I'd need to really pay attention to. It's synthetic and I haven't really looked into that yet and gotten comfortable with it, or decided it's not worth it.

It never occurred to me to read about Cutler and vitamin A, could you share a few links? A few of the WAPF articles on vitamin A are interesting, and how A, D, and K interact.

There are tons of posts by him on high dose Vit A in the autism mercury group (it's easier to find them searching onibasu). He suggests 500-1000IU/pound of kid as a maintenance dose, and 10x that as a loading dose. Lots of parents have found it very helpful. What I can't find is where he first explains the *why* of his high dose vit A for autistic kids. Here's one link that pulls a bunch of his stuff on vit A together, I just found it and haven't read through yet. I know vit A is often used for measles in the gut of kids on the spectrum, but he associates it with wider gut immune health, and better cognition/sociability/language.

I gave the kids 10,000 IU/day via CLO for more than a year, maybe a year and a half? Based on seeing DS get sick due to vitA deficiency (I treated him with a high dose of vitA and he got better, two separate times), and because it fit with the Price ideas. Downsides to me: that much vitA would require quite a bit of D to balance it, they use each other as they do their good stuff, and most people are lower in D than A. Even if you don't start out that way, ongoing higher-dose supplementation could draw down your D, we use a supp at this point (which has its own issues, I need to not go too high, I see hyperactivity, I think it's a calcium regulation issue, magnesium improves that--it's a vicious cycle, isn't it?). And vitamin A will use up some of your vitamin K. Most people shouldn't see issues from that, DS got nosebleeds, but that's our quirk. I supp K2. But the pros are I think it's important for a lot of health things and I think the kids are low, it just needed some managing.

Thanks, that's the kind of interaction issues I figured someone here would know about!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#128 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Attempt #3 was still not quite successful. I am ending up with what is best described as fried fudge. Still much better than the soggy mess I got with attempt #1.
I will make good brownies. This I swear. (imagine me shaking my fist to the heavens here )

#129 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Attempt #3 was still not quite successful. I am ending up with what is best described as fried fudge. Still much better than the soggy mess I got with attempt #1.
I will make good brownies. This I swear.
Ice cream was great according to DS and DD2. Cocoa, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, karaya gum.

The Key Lime Squares - the crust is good, and the taste is great, but they needed to be a little firmer. I'm still thinking maybe they need a little gelatin in there. Jacqueline: When you did your lemon pudding, what was your ratio of starch to liquid? I used 3 c. coconut milk and 1/2 c. sweet potato starch (because I didn't have any tapioca starch). It's very creamy, like pudding. I just wanted it to "set" a little more, like traditional lemon squares, which are a little gel-ier.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#130 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Ice cream was great according to DS and DD2. Cocoa, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, karaya gum.

The Key Lime Squares - the crust is good, and the taste is great, but they needed to be a little firmer. I'm still thinking maybe they need a little gelatin in there. Jacqueline: When you did your lemon pudding, what was your ratio of starch to liquid? I used 3 c. coconut milk and 1/2 c. sweet potato starch (because I didn't have any tapioca starch). It's very creamy, like pudding. I just wanted it to "set" a little more, like traditional lemon squares, which are a little gel-ier.
The first time, when I got a nice texture (imo), I used 7 tablespoons cornstarch to 1 1/2c liquid. The second attempt, which I thought had the texture of snot (sorry to be gross but...), I used 1/4c tapioca starch to 1 1/2c liquid.
So, for my preferred texture for 3cups of liquid, you'd need 7/8cup of starch... Assuming all starches work the same. I have some sweet potato starch I don't use downstairs. (Gluten free flours anonymous: Hi. I'm Jacqueline. I'm an addict. ) I'd say I'd try the lemon pudding again with it to check it out but! I've actually blown through 2 and a half-1.5 quart bottles of lemon juice since our city trip what? 2 weeks ago? Oops. Now I'm conserving what I have left for "necessities".

#131 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 PM

OK, anyone who hasn't read the pumpkin seed flour thread might want to. I just made the cookies - they are ridiculously good. Which is not what I expected to say about a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips .

And by my count, DS has just consumed his DV of manganese, magnesium, and phosporus, and a good chunk of zinc and vit K :. I wonder if you can get diarrhea from too many cookies ?

#132 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
OK, anyone who hasn't read the pumpkin seed flour thread might want to. I just made the cookies - they are ridiculously good. Which is not what I expected to say about a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips .

And by my count, DS has just consumed his DV of manganese, magnesium, and phosporus, and a good chunk of zinc and vit K :. I wonder if you can get diarrhea from too many cookies ?
Darn you, you temptress. Now I'm gonna have to try that recipe.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#133 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
She got me over there too. I'm drooling.
#134 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
She got me over there too. I'm drooling.
You're welcome . I figured not everyone might know the treasures in that thread based on the title.

Trust me. DH is not fond of my GF baking, and he told me to hide the ones I wanted to save for tomorrow and not tell him where I put them. Seriously, these rival pine nut ricotta (and are also high in manganese, hmmmm ).

I now know how my dehydrator will be earning it's keep . I thought I would just "hide" the pumpkin seed flour in things for nutrition, but trust me, it doesn't need hiding. And my feeble blender made perfectly respectable flour out of the nuts, no grinder or anything (I've tried that with other nuts before with no success, so pumpkin seeds must not be very tough).

#135 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Dang. That all sounds good, except that the crystal won't pass pumpkin seeds for us. Yet.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#136 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
Thai food also almost always contains shellfish/ shrimp paste (my personal reason for avoiding its deliciousness ). Was it coconut milk in something you made at home or Thai food out?
It was just coconut oil. Oh well...

Quote:
Two words, LilStar: Coconut Bliss. They're a fairly small company based in Eugene, Oregon and still do the Country Fair here every year. Soy, dairy and gluten free. If I could have coconut, that would be my choice by a mile.
Are you in Eugene? I lived there for two years while my husband went to grad school. Now I'm trying to figure out if I ever met you- since we're Canadians and met several fellow Canadians while we were there (usually by being approached by strangers who recognized our MEC raingear).

When my midwife with Nora found out that I had lived in Eugene, the first thing she asked was if I knew of anywhere to get coconut bliss in Canada. Apparently she sometimes drives across the border for a fix...

We're having a crazy day, and I'm currently in denial about how bad it might actually be. My oldest woke me up at 4 with a fever asking for "less sweaty" pajamas, I accidentally woke up the baby and basically none of us ever managed to get back to sleep. We were supposed to be out of the house between 10 and 1 because our landlord had an "eco" pest control coming to look at our silverfish problem. We live in the same house as our landlord and he has kids too, so I trusted that he would make a decent decision about how to handle the problem that wouldn't be totally toxic for our families. We dragged the tired kids to the aquarium for a few hours and came home to a fume-filled house with WET PESTICIDE on parts of the floor and an e-mail from the landlord asking us not to mop or vacuum around the edges of the room for two weeks. I opened all of the windows to vent the house, called the landlord, he talked to the pest control company and we came to the decision that we needed to clean the chemicals off the floor. So we spent the rest of the afternoon mopping, re-mopping and drying the floor, ventilating the house, vacuuming dead silverfish and trying not to freak out. I'm staying away from google right now, because I can't really face to know what is/was in my house.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#137 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
(Taslyn is seriously in love with her new flower essence remedy for helping her release metals naturally at her own pace... I love how happy and excited she is about her remedy. AND the Brainchild minerals arrived yesterday but she doesn't like the flavor... I'm going to try to disguise them in honey. AND zeolites are on sale $36 a bottle, so we're going to give them a whirl too.)

Re: the cast iron and steel cookware discussion. I met with my old lovely kinesiologist/chiro yesterday, the one who taught me to crystal test. Man, it was so good to see him again. Anyhoo, we of course discussed metals and he offered me some black supplement which didn't pass the crystal test, and then we talked about cookware and testing. His recommendation is to boil water with baking soda in the cookware in question and see if it tastes like baking soda or metals... so I guess we'll give that a whirl.
Has anyone heard of Saladmaster ccokware? Surgical grade Stainless...I want it, but man, the price!!! (They do the taste test, MM, and it is amazing how what I thought were decent pots tasted...someday, these are what I want.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Redwoods here are easy to come by - just turning my head and looking out windows, I can see 3 of them so what redwoods are you thinking? It's about a two hour drive up to davis/sacramento, but I haven't been much further north than that. Tahoe/Yosemite is probably too far for you? What sort of school schedule are you working with? It'd be a lot easier for us if it can happen before, say, January, and it'll be getting pretty cold/wet by the end of october. Anyone else want to come? JR... You know you want to drive long distances with 3 kids... Waluso? You around?

eta: speaking of weight loss, my slow nursing gain has finally stopped! I'm now holding steady where I was when dd was born. But the belly's getting bigger. (the ILs all guessed but didn't say anything. I was 10 weeks when they were here!) Now I'm losing the weight on my face. woo hoo! Now if only I can manage to gain overall... I didn't gain anything third trimester last time.
Sheesh--lose weight? While pregnant? I know in theory this is probably not good, but for someone who gains 60 ish pounds, losing sounds attractive! (I do have bog babes, tho.) The weight does eventually all come off, but still! I guess we all have our challenges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I've been trying to post this for hours, but keep getting interrupted.

LilStar, as hard as eliminating so much may seem, we have had amazing results with Nora. I keep these photos just to remind myself:

Before (off dairy and wheat already- at one month old)

After (At 9 weeks, off more than I care to list right now...)

On days when I feel really discouraged, I flip through our photo album
Mel, those photos are amazing! Great inspiration...
Quote:
I'm making brownies. I thought that was obvious.
I'll post it to my blog, if it works, along with "my" gluten free mix ratio.
JR, that's what all the gf brownie mixes do for me without eggs...did I mention we trialled eggs and dd FILPPED out that day and the next? Major behavorial...I just cried. She really wants pumpkin pie...how do I make egg free PP? She RAN AWAY after I got her out of the bath and while I was getting dd2 out of the bath. She was naked. And out of control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
It was just coconut oil. Oh well...

Are you in Eugene? I lived there for two years while my husband went to grad school. Now I'm trying to figure out if I ever met you- since we're Canadians and met several fellow Canadians while we were there (usually by being approached by strangers who recognized our MEC raingear).

When my midwife with Nora found out that I had lived in Eugene, the first thing she asked was if I knew of anywhere to get coconut bliss in Canada. Apparently she sometimes drives across the border for a fix...

We're having a crazy day, and I'm currently in denial about how bad it might actually be. My oldest woke me up at 4 with a fever asking for "less sweaty" pajamas, I accidentally woke up the baby and basically none of us ever managed to get back to sleep. We were supposed to be out of the house between 10 and 1 because our landlord had an "eco" pest control coming to look at our silverfish problem. We live in the same house as our landlord and he has kids too, so I trusted that he would make a decent decision about how to handle the problem that wouldn't be totally toxic for our families. We dragged the tired kids to the aquarium for a few hours and came home to a fume-filled house with WET PESTICIDE on parts of the floor and an e-mail from the landlord asking us not to mop or vacuum around the edges of the room for two weeks. I opened all of the windows to vent the house, called the landlord, he talked to the pest control company and we came to the decision that we needed to clean the chemicals off the floor. So we spent the rest of the afternoon mopping, re-mopping and drying the floor, ventilating the house, vacuuming dead silverfish and trying not to freak out. I'm staying away from google right now, because I can't really face to know what is/was in my house.
WOW. Just wow. I am so sorry. DH used to exterminate...(He quit because he couldn't take spraying in children's and nursery rooms.) Keep those windows open...

Today has been a good day. We grilled steak (thin breakfast steaks) for breakfast, along with hash browns...I made enough for tomorrow too. Did I mention breakfast is my tough meal?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#138 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Sheesh--lose weight? While pregnant? I know in theory this is probably not good, but for someone who gains 60 ish pounds, losing sounds attractive! (I do have bog babes, tho.) The weight does eventually all come off, but still! I guess we all have our challenges.
Yeah... Last time I went from almost 140 to 158. I'm 5'9" and dd was 10lbs. Not good. And I had hardly any aversions or morning sickness and I never threw up. So no good excuse. After this last weigh-in, I'm going to make an effort to really stuff myself at all opportunities. The bonus is that makes me much happier/not sick in the morning
Quote:
JR, that's what all the gf brownie mixes do for me without eggs...did I mention we trialled eggs and dd FILPPED out that day and the next? Major behavorial...I just cried. She really wants pumpkin pie...how do I make egg free PP? She RAN AWAY after I got her out of the bath and while I was getting dd2 out of the bath. She was naked. And out of control.
Are you using flax goo? Are you looking at molybdenum? Have you tried pumpkin pie with gelatin?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#139 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Flax goo? And, no, I haven't tried to make one, I've just been stuck lately. I can't seem to wrap my brain around the info I know would be pertinent to her...(metabolic dysfunction, ect.) I am meaning to try MO...she just started swallowing pills!!! YAY! for that!!!

Wow on the preg. weight. I'm 5'4" and gain 60#, lol. I have a short torso and a big baby has nowhere to go but out--dd2 was 9#... Any ideas on how to not gain the weight? (Besides laying off chocolate and exercising, lol.) Really, tho, I don't do much of anything different, I just gain it.

typos likely

#140 of 985 Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Oh, WhoMe, and CONGRATS!!! on getting in!!!! I am so excited for you!! (and can't wait for the day when I can say the same!)

typos likely

#141 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Flax goo? And, no, I haven't tried to make one, I've just been stuck lately. I can't seem to wrap my brain around the info I know would be pertinent to her...(metabolic dysfunction, ect.) I am meaning to try MO...she just started swallowing pills!!! YAY! for that!!!

Wow on the preg. weight. I'm 5'4" and gain 60#, lol. I have a short torso and a big baby has nowhere to go but out--dd2 was 9#... Any ideas on how to not gain the weight? (Besides laying off chocolate and exercising, lol.) Really, tho, I don't do much of anything different, I just gain it.
flax goo is when you soak (usually ground) flax seeds in water (cold overnight, or boiling for 2-3 minutes) and it turns into goo that's good at binding things together and makes a pretty good egg replacer. I forget the ratios though...

For weight gain, I'd start by looking at hormones and trying to get those optimized. For me, the lack of is due to eating not being comfortable and it being easier to be (barely) hungry than overstuffed. The reflux third trimester was no fun. I'm hoping my iodine will take care of it this time - so far it's working first trimester. I only get reflux in the days after I forget to take it, and it's accompanied by mind numbing fatigue. I'm loving my (small dose of) iodine lately!
Quote:
Oh, WhoMe, and CONGRATS!!! on getting in!!!! I am so excited for you!! (and can't wait for the day when I can say the same!)
Thanks. I should be working on homework now...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#142 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Have you ever done Feingold? Or do you usually consume real foods that are, by their nature, Feingold-compliant? I hear vitamin A fortified foods are _not_ Feingold compliant, it's something with how that fortified nutrient is made.

Does he take CLO?
We basically do Feingold, not perfectly compliant on ds and dh's part. And we do fermented CLO. I didn't know that about vit A supps, other than the palmitate.

Pat

I have a blog.
#143 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Dang. That all sounds good, except that the crystal won't pass pumpkin seeds for us. Yet.
The original recipe was with almond flour - it would probably be really good with any freshly ground nut flour. Tell your crystal not to be so picky .

Quote:
That was me with DD, and then with DS I had to struggle to gain weight. So maybe it will be different for you next time around .

And so sorry eggs failed, that truly sucks.

Flax good - 3tbsp water + 1tbsp flax meal, microwave on high for a minute. I don't think it would hold pumpkin pie together though, too many eggs to replace. Gelatin might be better to experiment with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
We basically do Feingold, not perfectly compliant on ds and dh's part. And we do fermented CLO. I didn't know that about vit A supps, other than the palmitate.

Pat
Pat, how does the fermented CLO taste? I actually tried again on CLO with DS today - I put some of the Carlson's lemon stuff in his coconut yogurt (which has lemon flavored minerals in it, so it seemed to work fine). I've heard the fermented stuff is pretty bleck? I'd like the less process stuff, but I figure the Carlson's is better than nothing...

What I'm thinking is that we may be VitA deficient, so I want to try loading us up a little while we still have access to the sun and lots of VitD, and then use the CLO and diet to maintain over the winter.

I've done some reading now on high dose VitA, and while it might work in the short term, I don't see how it doesn't whack the balance of A-D-K eventually and cause issues. Ah, the clarity that comes from pumpkin seed flour cookies .

#144 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
<snip>Sheesh--lose weight? While pregnant? I know in theory this is probably not good, but for someone who gains 60 ish pounds, losing sounds attractive! (I do have bog babes, tho.) The weight does eventually all come off, but still! I guess we all have our challenges.
<snip>

Today has been a good day. We grilled steak (thin breakfast steaks) for breakfast, along with hash browns...I made enough for tomorrow too. Did I mention breakfast is my tough meal?
Yeah. Losing during pregnancy = bad. I lost 30 lbs with DS2, due to mild untreated HG. I only lost 20 lbs with DS3 because I was aware of the problem and more capable (financially) of dealing with it (read: I drove DH crazy buying me different food every day, or at one point buying me Subway every day for a month) then ballooned when homeopathy stopped it because I stuffed my face with everything in sight for 2 months.

Thanks for a hint on the puzzle that is brownies.
Karina has a vegan, crustless pumpkin pie on her blog. Maybe a jumping off point?

I hate breakfast too. My kids (and I) eat Van's or TJ's waffles and cold cereal far too often.

Quote:
Wow on the preg. weight. I'm 5'4" and gain 60#, lol. I have a short torso and a big baby has nowhere to go but out--dd2 was 9#...Any ideas on how to not gain the weight? (Besides laying off chocolate and exercising, lol.) Really, tho, I don't do much of anything different, I just gain it.
Puke 10 or more times a day?
Quote:
That was me with DD, and then with DS I had to struggle to gain weight. So maybe it will be different for you next time around .

Flax good - 3tbsp water + 1tbsp flax meal, microwave on high for a minute. I don't think it would hold pumpkin pie together though, too many eggs to replace. Gelatin might be better to experiment with.
Totally hacked your quote to pieces, Deb. Sorry.
I gained 90 lbs with DS1 because I was eating every 2 hours to keep myself from fainting and/or puking.
Flax goo: you can just use hot water with the ground flax, rather than microwaving or boiling on the stove. My favorite egg sub for thickening right now is the 2T starch + 2 T water plus 1T oil. Then adding an extra 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder if the recipe also needs the leavening of eggs. Works best, ime, with another egg replacer used for binding properties. I was using gelatin, but I switched because I found I could taste it (even subbing for only 1 egg).
The other flax goo "recipe" is 4teaspoons flax seeds soaked for one hour (or longer) in 1 c water, then simmered for 20 minutes, cooled and strained. A scant 1/4c of the resulting "gloop" is equal to 1 egg. Useful where you don't want the graininess of the ground flax.

#145 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
argh.. incident today.. i'm so annoyed. we were at the state fair today, and before we left, I went through the petting zoo one more time to give the wallaby one last scratch on the head. She wasn't in there anymore, so I went straight toward the exit, without so much as brushing up against any of the animals. I stepped over a rope to avoid being coralled through a hand washing trailer because its annoying to wash hands while holding a baby and I hadn't touched animals anyway. I got told off for it and forced to go through it. I figured I'd just humor them with an obligatory swish of the hands under the faucet. Whatever. Well they were doing some thing where they put something on your hands to simulate germs and you wash your hands, stick 'em under a black light to see what "germs" got missed. Before I knew what they were doing, they wiped a cloth filled with the stuff on River's hand! : I asked what it was, and the guy put his hand under the black light to show me. And I'm thinking.. wtf kind of chemical is in there? So now I'm rinsing his hand under the running water, no way am I going to use anything antibacterial on his skin when he's being eaten alive by yeast. Then I go to the guy like, look! he has sensitive skin! I don't know what that stuff is but he is allergic to...who knows what. The guy was Deaf. I have no idea how well he reads lips. I lifted up his shirt to show him how rashy he is. I don't have any idea how much he understood, and both of the guys working there were Deaf and my ASL vocab is signing time level at best. And the point of the stuff is that its hard to wash off? He's a baby, he sucks his hands like crazy. I looked it up to see what it is. Seems to be some kind of zinc product. But I DID find this: http://www.globright.com/germjuice.html
Quote:
To be used under adult supervision only! Above products are very safe and non toxic, but safety while using these products should be followed. Never allow students to use if they have cuts, sores, skin conditions, dry skin, or prone to allergies or various allergic reactions. Keep away from mouth and eyes. Avoid getting on clothing, can cause permanent staining. For best results always shake well.
Obtain permission from parents when training children.
I think I have an email to write...

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#146 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 AM

I will survive these last two teeth coming in, I will survive these last two teeth coming in....

I hate night waking with a crying boy who is clearly in pain. And I hate dosing him with Motrin (the only thing that works when we get to this stage).

But these are the LAST TWO. I have almost survived two incredibly hard teethers (and DS has gotten a LOT better since we reduced our omega 6s). When these two teeth are in, I'm having A. BIG. PARTY.

#147 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Pat, how does the fermented CLO taste? I
The fCLO is horrible. Bleck doesn't cover it. However, it is only 1/4 teaspoon dose. Nothing will disguise it. I agree with do what works. Carlson's is better than none, imo. And maybe add a drop of the fCLO each day for a week or so. Then gradually increase the number of drops of the fCLO over a period of time. The bottle has a little drip spout (essentially). I just drip out about 8 drops onto a spoon.

I don't much think ANY CLO is palatable. But, we just take it straight from a spoon. Ds has never minded the flavor. (He is NOT keen on black seed oil however--- worse than fCLO. )

Pat

I have a blog.
#148 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I will survive these last two teeth coming in, I will survive these last two teeth coming in....
Have you tried homeopathic pellets? Ds lived on chamomilla teething tablets until about age 2.

Pat

I have a blog.
#149 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
argh.. incident today.. i'm so annoyed. we were at the state fair today, and before we left, I went through the petting zoo one more time to give the wallaby one last scratch on the head. She wasn't in there anymore, so I went straight toward the exit, without so much as brushing up against any of the animals. I stepped over a rope to avoid being coralled through a hand washing trailer because its annoying to wash hands while holding a baby and I hadn't touched animals anyway. I got told off for it and forced to go through it. I figured I'd just humor them with an obligatory swish of the hands under the faucet. Whatever. Well they were doing some thing where they put something on your hands to simulate germs and you wash your hands, stick 'em under a black light to see what "germs" got missed. Before I knew what they were doing, they wiped a cloth filled with the stuff on River's hand! : I asked what it was, and the guy put his hand under the black light to show me. And I'm thinking.. wtf kind of chemical is in there? So now I'm rinsing his hand under the running water, no way am I going to use anything antibacterial on his skin when he's being eaten alive by yeast. Then I go to the guy like, look! he has sensitive skin! I don't know what that stuff is but he is allergic to...who knows what. The guy was Deaf. I have no idea how well he reads lips. I lifted up his shirt to show him how rashy he is. I don't have any idea how much he understood, and both of the guys working there were Deaf and my ASL vocab is signing time level at best. And the point of the stuff is that its hard to wash off? He's a baby, he sucks his hands like crazy. I looked it up to see what it is. Seems to be some kind of zinc product. But I DID find this: http://www.globright.com/germjuice.html

I think I have an email to write...
How annoying. My DD2 reacts to triclosan in antibacterial soaps so I would have done the same thing, though I wouldn't have stepped over the rope because I'm anal about following the rules. I would have just said no. When we go to public bathrooms, if I can't read the ingredients, I don't let her use the soap. She gets a rashy/hivey thing everywhere.

I had last night's dessert for breakfast.... see how easy breakfast is?

#150 of 985 Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM

LilStar and Deb
It has taken me 1 1/2 hours to make muffins from a mix I made up a few days ago all b/c ds2 was awake. :
And I wonder why getting anything done w/ all THREE awake takes forever?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page