September Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 985 Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Q. What is Chat?

A. A place for people with allergies (any sort of food or environmental reaction that's problematic) to chit-chat about how this affects our lives, to support each other and commiserate through the lows and celebrate the highs that most people just wouldn't understand.

Q. Can I join?

A. It's for everyone! Get to know some new folks, share a funny or a helpful tip, all are welcome.

Q. What the heck is all this detoxification discussion doing in the Allergies forum?

A. A number of people here have found that their body's innate detoxification systems (or their childrens') are very important to their food intolerances. By detoxification systems, I mean how our livers work to excrete chemicals and substances that our bodies either never wanted (pesticides in foods) or stuff we're done with (estrogen, other hormones, stuff like that). My son's food reactions go up and down based on how backed up his detoxification is, and it's worthwhile to read to learn about cool nutrients like folate and magnesium.

first, an easy-to-read URL with short, simple explanations
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/

And then the detoxification threads....
MTHFR, salicylates and adrenals
methyl-what now?
Salicylate, amine and Histamine Sensitive Tribe
Hiding supplements and dense nutrition in foods
Ammonia and BH4
histamine and dopamine
depression as a food reaction
prenatal allergy prevention, nutrition-style
#2 of 985 Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm a little biased here but if anyone would like to see something insanely cute, click here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=MVI_1456.flv

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#3 of 985 Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM

Yay! Thanks Tanya!!!

Chlobo, OMG, that is CUTE!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#4 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 AM

Hey, I want to share our soup broth recipe tonight. Its so delish, I could drink it all myself and neglect my family. Anyhoo, its simple. 2 pounds of sheep meat, slow cooked all day with 4 small onions and 8 small tomatoes and 4 medium carrots all chunked. Then I added about a teaspoon of sea salt and 2 tablespoons blackstrap, about 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard seed. I might have added more salt, I can't remember. There's about 3 quarts of water, or there was when it started. It is so so good. I'm serving it with roasted butternut squash and maybe some walnuts.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#5 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 AM

Shannon,
I was wondering if you were put on any anti-clotting meds or advised to wean bc of your pregnancy (wean bc of increased folic acid need)? Someone in the Women with blood clotting disorders thread just posted that they were... I hadn't even realized that might be an issue with MTHFR mutations...

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#6 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 AM

Okay seriously...
I was sitting in my bath, contemplating my up and coming 504 plan meeting with DS1's school, and envisioning what I will say to them about his lunches and how I will address the school nurse's concerns about his nutrition (expressed at his last 504 meeting)... The response I came up with was:
We have a 5 week rotational menu which I have balanced using nutritional data software which uses the USDA nutritional database for complete nutrient information which is presently available.

Does it occur to anyone else how incredibly obsessive and anal this would seem outside of our small circle?

ETA: My response is only partially true... I only have the first week analyzed so far.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 AM

Clobo, totally cute!

mtnmama, yumm....

And JR, yup, probably not what they normally hear, LOL!

Sigh, up at 2:30am is not cool. The zeolite REALLY messed up DS' sleep. It's been better the last two nights since I stopped the zeolite for a few days, but up at 2:30am is not exactly excellent sleep. Hopefully we'll be back to more normal sleep soon.

ETA: From the August thread, OMG on groceries. I just pulled down our credit card and bank account data since January, and looked at what we are spending on food + supps. Jan-Mar were "pre special diets", and they're on track with our average food budget last year. Since then (and why I've been afraid to look) - it's DOUBLED. Some of that is supps, but a lot of it is food. That's just nuts.

We're foodies, and we actively choose to spend lots of money on our food - local, pastured meat and eggs, local organic milk, farmer's market and CSA produce, $4 a loaf bread from the wood fired bakery down the street. So our grocery bill wasn't cheap before all this. But DOUBLED???? I buy nothing prepackaged any more. I know we eat more meat, and less grains, which are cheap. Hemp milk is outrageously expensive. But still. Phew.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#8 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Shannon,
I was wondering if you were put on any anti-clotting meds or advised to wean bc of your pregnancy (wean bc of increased folic acid need)? Someone in the Women with blood clotting disorders thread just posted that they were... I hadn't even realized that might be an issue with MTHFR mutations...
Not me, but I don't exactly know anyone here who even knows what mthfr is, so that's no surprise. I think a big part of the issue is high homocysteine, and mine's normal... I did meet someone who was put on aspirin (I think) due to mthfr, normal homocysteine, and infertility. The explanation was teeny tiny blood clots causing issues with implantation. She also said her first dd has a complete (to the tip) tongue tie, but that she thinks she can still touch the roof of her mouth with her mouth wide open. I forget if the new baby had any tie, but she was there because of the baby's food sensitivities...

I'm getting sick of the insomnia. It's getting worse, not better. I don't know why - whether it's emotional, nutritional or continued trigger exposure, but I do know that something needs to happen because the low serotonin that goes with it makes for a lonely mommy :

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#9 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Ugh Shannon, I wasn't looking for company up at this hour, sorry you can't sleep .

So, I'm researching replacements for our non-stick frying pans and crepe pan. I'd like to try cast iron, and amazon.com has a by 3 get one free deal on Lodge brand preseasoned cast iron stuff, including what I think would make a good crepe pan. Anyone have experience with this brand? Anything I should know about cast iron?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#10 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

JR, your nurse is seriously concerned, nutritionally, that DS1 can't have dairy? Really? Is there more to it than that? Because I'd be tempted to point out that that's just silly. But clearly you want the nurse on your side.

Mamafish--I deliberately didn't look at our grocery bills for a LONG time. It's only very recently that I've been able to think about the topic, let alone try to make changes to make it actually fit into our monthly budget. Just with the changes and newness, our spending spiked for a long time.

whoMe--sorry you're not sleeping well, I did that in my pregnancy with DS and wow, so not fun. I have no good ideas, I was just miserable and whiny. I guess short-term, food journal? It was hard. Is it worse now that you're pregnant, vs same foods before you were pregnant? Maybe a bit of guess-and-check with the related nutrients, assume that you have less leeway now that little one is growing so quickly, and you've been making all that placenta and such?
#11 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Ugh Shannon, I wasn't looking for company up at this hour, sorry you can't sleep .

So, I'm researching replacements for our non-stick frying pans and crepe pan. I'd like to try cast iron, and amazon.com has a by 3 get one free deal on Lodge brand preseasoned cast iron stuff, including what I think would make a good crepe pan. Anyone have experience with this brand? Anything I should know about cast iron?
We have this brand and it has worked well for us. We purchased another brand before it & didn't like it so we bought the preseasoned stuff.

Just remember not to use soap when cleaning as it will break down the seasoning.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#12 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
JR, your nurse is seriously concerned, nutritionally, that DS1 can't have dairy? Really? Is there more to it than that? Because I'd be tempted to point out that that's just silly. But clearly you want the nurse on your side.
So does she also take aside all the parents who feed their kids processed crap and tell them it has no nutritional value?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#13 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
ETA: From the August thread, OMG on groceries. I just pulled down our credit card and bank account data since January, and looked at what we are spending on food + supps. Jan-Mar were "pre special diets", and they're on track with our average food budget last year. Since then (and why I've been afraid to look) - it's DOUBLED. Some of that is supps, but a lot of it is food. That's just nuts.
I know what we spend on food is nuts. It was $600 before food intolerances, and DH wants me to bring it back to that (if not reduce it further). For a family of 5, whose DS is a bottomless pit. And DH is 6'5", 200 lbs. It's not like he's a slouch in the eating dept. either. But I experiment all the time. That's probably the problem. I should do a meal plan like Jacqueline and see if I can do more stuff with the cheaper ingredients. I hate to resort to frozen veggies and all that though. Isn't fresh worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Not me, but I don't exactly know anyone here who even knows what mthfr is, so that's no surprise. I think a big part of the issue is high homocysteine, and mine's normal... I did meet someone who was put on aspirin (I think) due to mthfr, normal homocysteine, and infertility. The explanation was teeny tiny blood clots causing issues with implantation. She also said her first dd has a complete (to the tip) tongue tie, but that she thinks she can still touch the roof of her mouth with her mouth wide open. I forget if the new baby had any tie, but she was there because of the baby's food sensitivities...
The person that I know that I just found out has the MTHFR gene had to go on blood thinners to get pregnant, and she said it was a clotting issue. Hmmm.... didn't know that connection. Does it matter which MTHFR gene it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Okay seriously...
I was sitting in my bath, contemplating my up and coming 504 plan meeting with DS1's school, and envisioning what I will say to them about his lunches and how I will address the school nurse's concerns about his nutrition (expressed at his last 504 meeting)... The response I came up with was:
We have a 5 week rotational menu which I have balanced using nutritional data software which uses the USDA nutritional database for complete nutrient information which is presently available.

Does it occur to anyone else how incredibly obsessive and anal this would seem outside of our small circle?
I am so glad that I've been lucky so far with the school. I haven't talked to DS's new teacher yet (DD1 had her a few years ago and she's nice). But the first day of school, a letter came home from the nurse that asked that birthday parties and celebrations revolve around activities and crafts, and not food. There's a nut/fish allergy in the class (I knew there was a tree nut one, because he's been in DS's class since preschool, but not sure if it's someone else with a fish allergy, or if that kid turned out allergic to fish as well), a diabetic, and "a child with many food intolerances". So without even having to fill out any paperwork again, the nurse must have noted his sensitivities without having me have to explain everything again. We'll see how the year unfolds since this school system does seem to be food-based (pizza parties and make your own sundae parties as "prizes").

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#14 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Isn't fresh worth it?

If you can afford it, its absolutely worth it, in my opinion. And think about the money you save by not eating out.

I am so glad that I've been lucky so far with the school. I haven't talked to DS's new teacher yet (DD1 had her a few years ago and she's nice). But the first day of school, a letter came home from the nurse that asked that birthday parties and celebrations revolve around activities and crafts, and not food. There's a nut/fish allergy in the class (I knew there was a tree nut one, because he's been in DS's class since preschool, but not sure if it's someone else with a fish allergy, or if that kid turned out allergic to fish as well), a diabetic, and "a child with many food intolerances". So without even having to fill out any paperwork again, the nurse must have noted his sensitivities without having me have to explain everything again. We'll see how the year unfolds since this school system does seem to be food-based (pizza parties and make your own sundae parties as "prizes").
I lucked out somewhat in the school department in that there are a couple of mom's with kids with severe peanut allergies who came before me. They advocated doing away with food based birthdays & other celebrations and have been quite successful.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#15 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Yes, the nurse was seriously concerned. Her question was worded as, "You're losing basically two whole food groups. How are you going to make up for that nutritionally?" And, no, I'm assuming she doesn't pull aside other parents who feed their kids processed junk- particularly taking into consideration the school cafeteria menu. Pizza four times a month, hot dogs another four times... etc and so forth. Other favorites are tacos, hamburgers, mac and cheese (only mac and cheese, although it does come with a side order of peas)...
My response at the time was "Firstly, I'm losing ONE "food group". Celiac disease has been around for a long time and I assure you there are plenty of grains for them to eat. So the only food group we're losing is dairy and I'm assuming your concern there is calcium? There are plenty of foods which contain calcium and we will be using those in our diet to make up for the lack... There are also non-dairy milks which are enriched with calcium. " Luckily, I'm also familiar with the school counselor and she also "stood up for me", saying that DS1 has one of the best diets out of all the kids in the school, he's not one of the kids bringing in "Lunchables" every day. So obviously processed foods are a concern to her, but probably a little more difficult to attack head on since most of those parents probably aren't making 504 plans regarding, basically, their child's diet..

Quote:
Food spending: I'm guesstimating that we spend about $800 per month right now. I have no real idea as, despite my attempts to have it happen otherwise, the cashiers tend to give DH the receipts which he then pockets and, when I ask about them, "I don't know where it is. I probably threw it out."
Last year, parents were asked not to bring any kind of birthday celebration to school bc there is only one janitor (as compared to 3 the year before). I'm assuming it will be the same this year. We lost our music teacher, a gym teacher, one of our librarians, 2 office staff of which I know. And that's just the elementary school...
We have a very food based school too, Kathy. Same deals: pizzas for reading and make your own sundaes; (microwave) popcorn and soda during special movie times, etc and so forth. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to send DH to the store for stuff because the school had a "surprise" for the kids which involved food.

#16 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Anyone ever cook a whole pollock fish? Would wrapping it in tinfoil & cooking on the grill work?

we're getting it from our CSF. We can always pan fry but I was thinking of trying something different.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#17 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM

So I have a baggie holding my unopened bottle as well as my opened bottle of allergen free yogurt starter. The whole thing got left out all night on the counter. Should I bother to try making yogurt w/it just in case, or chuck it?

Thanks,
Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#18 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Carren, I've always wanted to make one of those salt shells over a whole fish and bake it that way. But I haven't done it, we just watch a lot of Good Eats on food network.
#19 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm subbing. I haven't been able to get on here these days...I've been sick with a nasty cold and energy has been low. I can't believe it's September! DH and I celebrate our anniversary next week. (And both our birthdays later in the month--guess who's older?)

JR glad you're feeling better--maybe I caught a cyber bug from you, lol!

Trialling eggs with DD1--wish us luck!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#20 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM

wanted to add that I posted a question in the vax forum and would love your input...look for "possibly urgent question".

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#21 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM

mamafish, we use ALOT of cast iron over here. Lodge is a good enough brand, but I've been REALLY happy with the Cabin brand. Do not buy an off or no name brand, and second hand stuff isn't safe. Too much of it has been made in Taiwan with pot metals, plus used cast iron can hold food contaminants since its porous.

#22 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM

I'm honestly still not 100%... Still nauseated and having GI issues but I'm functional. It was the head and body aches which were killing me.
Finally getting to try my bean pie today. Hoping the pie crust I've devised turns out well.

#23 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
So I have a baggie holding my unopened bottle as well as my opened bottle of allergen free yogurt starter. The whole thing got left out all night on the counter. Should I bother to try making yogurt w/it just in case, or chuck it?

Thanks,
Tracy
I'd try it to see if it worked before throwing it out. That stuff is expensive!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#24 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Okay, well the pie was a flop (imo). DS1 says it's good but.. :
My crust wasn't flaky at all and was hard. Tastes okay but not great.
The filling, I think, was too reliant on butter and eggs for flavour so making it free of both made it um.. gross? Yeah. Gross.
So much for that. Oh well.

#25 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:17 PM

JR - sucks about the pie. Hope the pies & you get better soon.

So, do I order bulk grains or should I go grain free?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#26 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM

I was hoping for a good crust recipe. I want to make key lime pie. I know, I tried it last year and it was disgusting, but that was before I found pork gelatin. So I'm trying to figure out a graham crackery type crust (maybe millet or sorghum mixed with ... something). What did you try so that maybe I can work off that?

Ever since being home I've been... blah. I took my last abx on Saturday night, and got a UTI on Monday morning. So I know I'm sick so I have a right to be blah. But I just don't want to get into the school mode. I have a list of making bread, yogurt, roasted chickpeas, etc. but I'm soooo unmotivated. DH wants to do things like weed the garden and organize the house, and I want to do... nothing. Just sit. It's pathetic. Somebody give me a kick.

#27 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I was hoping for a good crust recipe. I want to make key lime pie. I know, I tried it last year and it was disgusting, but that was before I found pork gelatin. So I'm trying to figure out a graham crackery type crust (maybe millet or sorghum mixed with ... something). What did you try so that maybe I can work off that?

Ever since being home I've been... blah. I took my last abx on Saturday night, and got a UTI on Monday morning. So I know I'm sick so I have a right to be blah. But I just don't want to get into the school mode. I have a list of making bread, yogurt, roasted chickpeas, etc. but I'm soooo unmotivated. DH wants to do things like weed the garden and organize the house, and I want to do... nothing. Just sit. It's pathetic. Somebody give me a kick.
Say, cut yourself some slack. You just spent the whole summer providing your kids with the ultimate summer experience. That was work! You deserve a few days of blah. And I hear you on the "things to do". I have no idea what Isabella will have for snack or lunch at school. She's in the allergy "aware" room so no nuts. Damn.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#28 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Say, cut yourself some slack. You just spent the whole summer providing your kids with the ultimate summer experience. That was work! You deserve a few days of blah. And I hear you on the "things to do". I have no idea what Isabella will have for snack or lunch at school. She's in the allergy "aware" room so no nuts. Damn.
My DS can't have nuts for snack because it's in the room (with a nut allergy kid) but he can have nuts at lunch (there's a peanut free table for those kids, and anyone who has peanuts has to wash their hands upon exiting the cafeteria). He's been doing good with the Thermos lunches. We had cauliflower with meatsauce 1 day, sweet potato-beef stew 1 day, and I obviously have a failing memory since it's only been three days and I can't remember what he had on Monday...

The lake isn't work. I mean, there's always work to do (gardening, painting, the usual cooking 18 meals a day) but the atmosphere is so wonderful. Neighbors that all just come over to visit. Friendly people. In this town, I've never even met the neighbors (who have lived there for about 8 years I think). I guess I'm just in a funk.

#29 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
My DS can't have nuts for snack because it's in the room (with a nut allergy kid) but he can have nuts at lunch (there's a peanut free table for those kids, and anyone who has peanuts has to wash their hands upon exiting the cafeteria). He's been doing good with the Thermos lunches. We had cauliflower with meatsauce 1 day, sweet potato-beef stew 1 day, and I obviously have a failing memory since it's only been three days and I can't remember what he had on Monday...

The lake isn't work. I mean, there's always work to do (gardening, painting, the usual cooking 18 meals a day) but the atmosphere is so wonderful. Neighbors that all just come over to visit. Friendly people. In this town, I've never even met the neighbors (who have lived there for about 8 years I think). I guess I'm just in a funk.
Wish I lived in your neighborhood.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#30 of 985 Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Wish I lived in your neighborhood.
The neighborhood at the lake where everyone is friendly (and one of the neighbors stocks rice milk so that DD2 has something to drink there if she gets thirsty) and people just drop by to visit, and we actually go around the neighborhood borrowing "a cup of sugar" or any other ingredient we need.

Or the neighborhood here where I haven't even met my neighbors? (We have met the two neighbors on the street with kids and we all wave at each other).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page