Pumpkin Seed Flour Anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I *think* this is pretty new to the market somehow I ended up on a gf recipe blog and they were talking about grainfree recipes using pumpkin seed flour- iirc pumpkin seeds are supposed to be very nutritious so I am way intrigued. Anyone used this yet?

http://www.wholelifenutrition.net/si...nseedflour.pdf for a price list apparently it is real new I seen it linked on this site:

http://www.nourishingmeals.com/search/label/grain-free

which I am totally loving by the way!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

according to the profile it is 61% protein and contains all 18 amino acids in good amounts- I am sooooo tempted- I wonder what the sals content of it is- I would think it would make an appropriate substitute for almond flour!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#3 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Oooh, thanks. Pumpkin seeds are way lower sals than almonds, and high in zinc - I'll definitely check this out.

ETA: Not sure I'm thrilled with the omega nutrition flour though - they're also selling it as a protein powder, and say it's "partially defatted". So maybe overprocessed for my liking. I wonder if pumpkin seeds could be dehydrated enough to go through my new flour mil....

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#4 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the sals info- I knew they must be lower as I cannot find them listed on high sals list, but cannot find anything specific.

I just called and talked to their customer service. Shipping is a $10 flat fee- OUCH! Putting it at $6.28 per pound, which is kinda steep. Man- I wish I knew someone IRL who was interested in getting some of this!!! I hate to order 10 lbs without even trying it first- although it is supposed to be a almond flour substitute, so that would be good depending on if we like the flavor and can be used for a protein powder.

#5 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even notice the defatted- that explains why the fat content is so low.

Man- I need a stinking grain grinder so bad!!! No way- my wee food processer which is currently going out as it is would handle that.

#6 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

Man- I need a stinking grain grinder so bad!!! No way- my wee food processer which is currently going out as it is would handle that.
Yeah, the "defatted" part doesn't fit with their "gently processed to preserved all the nutrients" description, but most people who want protein don't want all the fat along with it.

I'm still waiting for DH to attach my grain grinder to the wall so I can use it, I think that's our weekend project. I want to try sprouted grains too...

#7 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've ground pumpkin seeds at home in a food processor, the texture turned out very similar to almond flour, and I use them interchangeably. Do you need it really powdery? It wasn't smooth enough to add oil and make something the same consistency as creamy peanut butter, but what I ended up with worked out well in pumpkin muffins (canned pumpkin + ground pumpkin seeds as one of several GF "flours"), I've used it various places (that are totally eluding me right now).
#8 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just responding so I can find this later and bookmark that site on my home computer.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#9 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM

I've made it myself too. I think it's easier than making almond "flour' (mine was never very floury) because they are not nearly as hard.

It has a very pleasant, nutty taste that's fairly neutral. I've made good cupcakes with them when it was the only flour we could use.

<>< Alison
#10 of 75 Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 PM

WOW! For those of you who have made it at home, did you use a coffee grinder? Did you dehydrate them first or leave them raw? I ground walnuts (I think) to make a walnut 'flour' in my coffee grinder and there was too much moisture--it got thick and kind of gummy...but, thinking about it, I *did* have the walnuts in the fridge so maybe there was condensation involved?

I'd love to hear if this works in place of almond flour--I'm dying to try some Elana's pantry recipes (most w/ almond flour) but almonds give ds a rash. Pumpkin seeds work fine though...

Must try this!!! So glad I saw this post!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#11 of 75 Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 PM

So, last night I made my own pumpkin seed flour by throwing a bunch of pumpkin seeds into the food processor (to create a coarse meal), then I tossed them into the coffee grinder and ground them into a finer flour. (Just fyi, as soon as the flour seemed to be moving a little less in my coffee grinder, I stopped it and dumped it out--the flour was fine enough for me and if I left it in too long it would get a little gummy.)

Today I used one of elana's pantry recipes for chocolate chip cookies, replacing the almond flour w/ my pumpkin seed flour, and replacing the grapeseed oil w/ coconut oil, and the agave w/ honey. (Just fyi! I also used enjoy life choc. chips.)

Of course, I worried they wouldn't work (I get nervous when baking gf w/ no guar gum--I've had some seriously runny dissapointments in the past!) so I added an egg which led to me adding more pumpkin seed flour, more baking soda, a bit more honey, yadda yadda yadda, so I can't say for certain that the recipe would have been perfect and amazing as written b/c I didn't try it that way, BUT, these cookies were SOOOOOO yummy! I think, waaayyy better than the bean based cookies I've been making, which I like as well. (My dh who can be picky when it comes to my cooking really liked them as well.) And it got my ds eating pumpkin seeds for the first time in any quantity! Woo hoo--all that zinc!

I could totally taste the pumpkin seed flavor, but they were really delicious cookies! I'm so glad this flour was mentioned here!!!! I totally plan on making more things using this, and I will absolutely forward recipes here if/when they work w/ it.

I'm really excited about this!!!! :

I traditional foods
#12 of 75 Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Cool Fairy Rae- I have soooo got to get a little grinder of some kind!! I have made that recipe of Elana's w/ almond flour it is soooooo delicious! Of course I am going to have to order some bulk pumpkin seeds first they are outrageious around here!

#13 of 75 Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Don't worry about modifying Elana's recipes they always seem to come out good for me and as you said w/ no gums in there that is a win, win! And w/ the pumpkin seed flour very low allergen- heck you could do some ginger chunks in there and spice it like a snickerdoodle if chocolate is a problem- so many ways to modify that. I bet one made w/ a sesame seed flour would be good in a lemon variety---mmm- add some lemon zest and essence of lemon-mmmm!

#14 of 75 Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 PM

I always soak and dehydrate them before grinding. We still have GI problems and every little bit helps.

<>< Alison
#15 of 75 Old 09-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
I always soak and dehydrate them before grinding. We still have GI problems and every little bit helps.
Great to know--I ate LOTS of the batch last night and was my tummy hurting! (That happens to me when I eat a lot of nuts/seeds raw.) I usually soak/dehydrate them b/4 eating, but didn't w/ these since I was cooking them--I'm totally going to do it next time!

I traditional foods
#16 of 75 Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 PM

OK, these are ridiculously good. I made them with raw soaked, dehydrated seeds (bought some, I will make my own next time!). Made them into flour in my cheap blender. I used sugar instead of honey (honey is high sals, so I didn't want to do that first time around), used coconut oil, left out the chocolate chips (DS reacts), and added an egg (made up for the lack of moisture from sugar instead of honey). And they are VANISHING.

So, because I am a geek, and trying to push nutrients into DS and DD, here's what I figured out from whfoods numbers for nutrition per cookie (I got 42 cookies out of a batch with 2.5c pumpkin seed flour - and this is just nutrition from the pumpkin seeds, not anything else):

62 mg mag
135 mg phosphorus
5-6 mcg vit K
5-6 mg zinc

That is by FAR the most nutritious cookie I've ever made . And it doesn't taste like a "good for you" cookie.

#17 of 75 Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 PM

So, to clarify... the 73% dark chocolate is a cocoa powder?

Wow, those look really yummy, and would make us so happy. I want to try two versions, a chocolate version and a snickerdoodle-type like crunchy mama talked about. I think I have some soaked, baked (no dehydrator here) pumpkin seeds in my freezer, and this seems like a great use of them.
#18 of 75 Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
So, to clarify... the 73% dark chocolate is a cocoa powder?

Wow, those look really yummy, and would make us so happy. I want to try two versions, a chocolate version and a snickerdoodle-type like crunchy mama talked about. I think I have some soaked, baked (no dehydrator here) pumpkin seeds in my freezer, and this seems like a great use of them.
I thought the dark chocolate was the chips. The cookies don't look "chocolaty". Just the chips.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#19 of 75 Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I thought the dark chocolate was the chips. The cookies don't look "chocolaty". Just the chips.
I SAW the picture, I really did, but somehow my brain went away when I read the recipe.

Okay, so basically throw in some chopped up crystallized ginger and some cinnamon/allspice/cloves-type of seasoning? (I really need to go look up a snickerdoodle recipe, it's been ages since I've had a snickerdoodle).
#20 of 75 Old 09-05-2009, 11:16 PM

I added totally nothing, and they were yummy that way too. I had a few chopped up pumpkin seeds in them too, and that was nice, I might do a few more next time (DS is less likely to digest those, but I liked them!).

#21 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:

I bought a coffee grinder soley for nuts/seeds and it does p seeds just fine. (A cheaper alternative to a grain grinder). My grain grinder won't grind seeds--gums it up...HTH.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#22 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
That is by FAR the most nutritious cookie I've ever made . And it doesn't taste like a "good for you" cookie.
I totally agree--and I think they are really the very BEST allergen-free cookies that I've made yet!!!! YUM! :

I traditional foods
#23 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I am so excited reading all of this! Too many good ideas ladies! now we have to be searching for the best bulk price of pumpkin seeds!

I will be checking into a little coffee grinder as well, thanks dannic! I don't think those are too expensive!

Ok- some googling here:
http://www.redflowerltd.com/bulk-pumpkin-seeds.html

5lb Bags:
$3.19/lb- w/ shipping = $5.54 lb
10 lbs: $3.19 lb w/ shipping= $4.47 lb
15 lbs: $3.19 lb- w/ shipping = $4.12 lb

$4.49/lb raw organic-

nutsoline.com
5 lbs $3.87 lb= $6.22/lb w/ shipping
10 lbs $3.79 lb =$5.13 lb w/ shipping
15 lbs + $3.59 lb= $4.52/lb w/ shipping
27.5 lb- $2.60 lb= $3.30/lb w/ shipping

they have pumpkin seed powder as well- which just seems to be ground pumpkin seeds for $5.99 lb- BUT it is currently out of stock
http://www.nutsonline.com/snacks/pum...ds/powder.html

Man, I wish I knew someone here local to split this kind of stuff with- that would really help. Dh already thinks I am nuts enough after wrangling a 5 gal tub of grassfed tallow into the freezer! It is literally packed full right now and deer season is coming up in a few months!

#24 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Alright- does anyone live near a TJ's and is going soon? If so could you pretty, pretty, pretty please check the price when you are going in there of raw pumpkin seeds for me!!

The nearest one is 2- 2.5 hrs away so I don't get there often, but don't want to spend a bunch getting them online when I can get them for cheaper from there the next time I go in there!

It seems for me that the best bet would be the 15 lb quantity as I don't use a ton of flour and that brings the price point to be comparable to almond flour- which is $4/lb at TJs- plus tax in our state it would make the pumpkin seed flour a hair cheaper- of course then you have to grind it yourself.

searching amazon this seems to be the best deal for little grinders- it has the best rating w/ the largest number of reviews and a 3 oz capacity- what do you guys think:
http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-T...2243240&sr=8-1

#25 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 12:16 PM

I wish we could start a thread somewhere just talking about economical ways to do grain-free. I really don't want my food budget to skyrocket, we're at the point of actually staying within our food budget line item, and I don't want to break that, yk?

No TJ's in my area, I need to check my Whole Foods and see what I should be comparing to. I don't remember from the last time I bought pumpkin seeds.

Crunchymama--any possibility of a garage freezer or frig? eta: we got ours used, fairly inexpensively, from craigs's list.

Oh, and I've been unclear on this for a long time. I've stored tallow at room temp, it's so saturated, I haven't been clear on why I should refrigerate/freeze. Should it really be refrigerated or frozen? I guess in my mind it seemed comparable to coconut oil which I store at room temp.

I think I have that Krups grinder.
#26 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I wish we could start a thread somewhere just talking about economical ways to do grain-free. I really don't want my food budget to skyrocket, we're at the point of actually staying within our food budget line item, and I don't want to break that, yk?

No TJ's in my area, I need to check my Whole Foods and see what I should be comparing to. I don't remember from the last time I bought pumpkin seeds.

Crunchymama--any possibility of a garage freezer or frig? eta: we got ours used, fairly inexpensively, from craigs's list.

Oh, and I've been unclear on this for a long time. I've stored tallow at room temp, it's so saturated, I haven't been clear on why I should refrigerate/freeze. Should it really be refrigerated or frozen? I guess in my mind it seemed comparable to coconut oil which I store at room temp.

I think I have that Krups grinder.
My budget has been cut drastically lately- $300 for this month- that includes a years supply of maple syrup $64 and $54 for 2.5 gallons of tallow- splitting w/ a friend. We are not eating as much organics for sure and very basic and cheap veggies at that. For me #1 health priority is meat- most of which is grassfed chicken that I bought in bulk this summer and am hoping we have a good deer season to round everything out. We do have good coconut oil that has been bought in bulk before. So- where i think it is most important is our meat and fats and those are still top notch quality. I have homegrown pears and keep my fruits and veggies off of the naughty lists. I have been eating a small amt of grain, but recently got more meat-so I think I should be able to cut that back out.

I am not sure on the tallow- my friend who raises grass-fed cows as well thought it needed to be refrigerated or frozen as well. I don't really know myself!

On the freezer as it is I have a large upright- it is currently full of my years worth of grassfed chickens- blueberries for the year that I picked at the u-pick farm and the tallow(my friend will be taking half of that though- and beef soup and neck bones for broth- that is it- I gotta lotta chickens in there. The frig freezer is full of all the meals that I froze for after the baby about 35 and dh has 1 drawer for snacks. I need to look for a good used freezer as well- for the basement- but currently I don't have the funds for one

#27 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Alright- does anyone live near a TJ's and is going soon? If so could you pretty, pretty, pretty please check the price when you are going in there of raw pumpkin seeds for me!!

The nearest one is 2- 2.5 hrs away so I don't get there often, but don't want to spend a bunch getting them online when I can get them for cheaper from there the next time I go in there!

It seems for me that the best bet would be the 15 lb quantity as I don't use a ton of flour and that brings the price point to be comparable to almond flour- which is $4/lb at TJs- plus tax in our state it would make the pumpkin seed flour a hair cheaper- of course then you have to grind it yourself.

searching amazon this seems to be the best deal for little grinders- it has the best rating w/ the largest number of reviews and a 3 oz capacity- what do you guys think:
http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-T...2243240&sr=8-1
I just bought a 10oz container of organic raw pepitas at whole foods for $3.39, which works out to $5.42/lb.

Your TJs sells almond flour for $4/lb?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#28 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 03:24 PM

I can get bulk organic raw pumpkin seeds locally for $2.94/lb, but I live in a really, really good area for that kind of stuff. Do you have a HFS or anything like that locally you can ask to order them in for you?

Or does anyone have an Azure account to check their prices?

#29 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

mamafish - man you are LUCKY! Our 1 hfs is teeny tiny and doesn't have bulk bins. They sell 1 # bags of raw pumpkin seeds at $5 lb- that's it. I did think about asking her if they could get some in at a discounted rate, but considering the rate at which they mark things up- I am soooooo doubting it.

My friend does participate in a coop(none here local to me) I will have to ask her about that.

Oh and chlobo- the nearest TJs is St. Louis and when I was last there in April they had Almond Meal(which is in the bulk nuts and seeds aisle) for $4 lb. That is what it had been previous visits as well.

Oh, and for anyone else interested I made Elana's Pantry flapjacks today- but made them as waffles- just adjusted the water level until the consistency was right but left everything else the same. I used half pumpkin seeds(I didn't have that much in the house and wanted to save the rest for some cookies )- these are made in the blender so I just added the seeds and water first to get them pureed. They were just as delicious as always!

http://www.elanaspantry.com/flapjacks/

#30 of 75 Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Azure price for organic pumpkin seeds is $3.25/lb, $14.25 for 5 lbs, $58.70 for 25 lbs.

ETA: the 5 pound price works out to $2.85/#, and the 25 pound price is $2.35/#.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page