calcium supplement - corn free, dairy free, soy free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-10-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to start giving my 15 mth old dd a liquid calcium supplement to be on the safe side. Or possibly even a multi. I need a corn free, dairy free due to her allergies and I'd like to keep it gluten and soy free if possible. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use bluebonnet. They are totally dairy, soy, gluten and corn free. In my experience, many supplements "say" they are corn free, but use ingredients derived from corn (which Me and DS react to). Bluebonnet uses no derivatives of corn and I use many of the other supplements made by them and have no reaction. I have only tried the v-caps and Im not sure they make a liquid.

Are you sure you want to supplement your child? Are you sure she needs calcium? Why not supplement yourself and let her get it from the breastmilk. Also, if you can read some of Whome's posts about taking too much calcium it would help you decide if you really want to supplement your child.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#3 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Good idea on supplementing myself and letting her get it that way. I will check out the posts you recommend before giving her anything. I'll have to look into the bluebonnet line - corn is such a hard thing to fully avoid - it's in EVERYTHING!!! But, now that I have been really careful about hidden corn, my dd has made major improvements so I know it's worth the effort
#4 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Totally. It amazed me the day I cut corn out of my diet how different DS was.

I recently found out that most corn sits around and gathers mold before they use it to make whatever they are going to make with it. So when an ingredient is made or derived from corn, most likely it has trace amounts of mold in it.

In me and DS's case, our systems are already so overloaded with mold that even trace amounts can cause a big reaction.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I didn't know that about corn. I find it so amazing that even trace amounts can make such a difference. I've been mainly corn free for almost a year but wasn't worried about the derivatives. Once I started getting picky about those, her demeanor was noticeably different.
#6 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
Good idea on supplementing myself and letting her get it that way. I will check out the posts you recommend before giving her anything. I'll have to look into the bluebonnet line - corn is such a hard thing to fully avoid - it's in EVERYTHING!!! But, now that I have been really careful about hidden corn, my dd has made major improvements so I know it's worth the effort
Most minerals are held quite steady in breastmilk unless mom is very, very deficient. Calcium falls into that category, so unless you're WAY low, the amount in your milk won't change appreciably if at all.

We use a multi-mineral supp from Perque, Perque Bone Guard Forte 20. It's got equal amounts of cal and mag since most people are more magnesium deficient than calcium deficient, and it has a wide range of other minerals (some iodine, boron, I think 20 minerals in total). Plus a bit of D, K1 and K2. It's a tablet, I grind it in a coffeebean grinder into a fine powder and mix it in with a small amount of liquid (I use juice, you could hide it between layers of applesauce in one small spoonful of apple/pear sauce if you like). I give the kids 1/2 tablet per day (35 and 45 lbs). Perque products are corn-free in addition to being without all the usual allergens.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page