Breakfast ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need breakfast ideas for gluten/wheat (and all other common allergens, currently) free. We did let DS have a few white potatoes last night so that MAY be allowed. He ate carrots and quinoa with no issues and I think peas may be fine too. So many of the things I thought were causing a problem may not be (we were eating a lot of wheat/gluten.) I'm pretty sure eggs ARE on the list as well as dairy and soy, but I'm not sure about corn, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, etc. Hopefully the intolerance test will help confirm some of this.

Dinners are easiest, lunch is a little hard, but breakfast is difficult. We often ate pancakes, oatmeal, cereal, hashbrowns/turkey, muffins...

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#2 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 04:25 PM

In trying to move to paleo, I have just started usually having meat (sausage links, patties, bacon, or ham) and veggie stirfrys. Today I used 1 large grated golden beet, 1 red pepper, 1 bunch of greens, and some onion and garlic. I also sliced up a huge tomato. Dd loves sweet potato fries.
I love custard for breakfast, too (confused eggs are on the list of tolerated or intolerant? - I hope the test helps you out).

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
(confused eggs are on the list of tolerated or intolerant? - I hope the test helps you out).
I'm pretty sure eggs are on intolerant list. As I suspected, the enterolab stool test for milk and soy showed some antibodies. >10 was normal and his was 20 and 19 respectively. (Levels could be as high as 350, though the test results said higher numbers did not necessarily correlate to higher reactivity/intolerance due to immune system differences.)

#4 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
In trying to move to paleo, I have just started usually having meat (sausage links, patties, bacon, or ham) and veggie stirfrys. Today I used 1 large grated golden beet, 1 red pepper, 1 bunch of greens, and some onion and garlic. I also sliced up a huge tomato. Dd loves sweet potato fries.
I love custard for breakfast, too (confused eggs are on the list of tolerated or intolerant? - I hope the test helps you out).
I LOVE veggie stir-fries! I like to grate a potato w/ some onion and beets!MMMM! Or for a long time I just did traditional stirfry veggies and some meat of some kind.

There are always smoothies- safe milk/yogurt- fruits- nuts/seeds for protein- add in some extra oil for good fat- like coconut oil

We do waffles/pancakes made w/ nut , seed or coconut flour, there are other gf/df options though depending on tastes- preferences and intolerances.

I try to keep it pretty simple here you don't have something different for b-fast everyday:

Monday and Thursday- eggs w/ homemade sausage- veggie hash and fresh fruit(currently pears from the in-laws)

Tuesday and Friday- hot cereal- there are many varieties- rice, buckwheat as pp said, Bob's Red MIll has a brand as well- and other grains like quinoa- millet or amaranth- I put a good amount of coconut oil in there, some cinnamon, nuts/seeds and some raw honey for sweetness

Wednesday- Coconut Flour Muffin Day!

Saturday- Mom's Day Off- Safe Cereal (Although today I did make a late b-fast w/ eggs- homemade sausage and coconut flour biscuits)

Sunday- Waffles/Pancakes- Made w/ Nut or Seed Flour or Apples(grated apples- w/ juiced squeezed out and eggs and cinnamon added)

That is what I make the kids anyway- I am pregnant w/ a few food aversions going on right now. I usually do TONS of smoothies and love green juice but since I have been pregnant(going on 32 weeks now) I cannot tolerate it for some reason. I am hoping that at least goes away by the time the baby comes as I LOVED starting the day w/ some greens- it always gave me tons of energy.

I don't like the fact that we are eating hot cereal 2 days a week, but I needed to simplify for myself, cut the budget and deal w/ the aversions- so I added that in- I don't always eat them myself though, but at least then I don't have to worry about what to feed them- I can go on autopilot.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. Today we had turkey sausage patties (just plain turkey with a little ginger fried in patty shape), a millet/pear muffin with some pears on the side. One day down. Six to go. We have always avoided bacon, ham, etc because of preservatives, etc. So all these restrictions on top of our existing ones... ugh!

ETA:
I can't seem to make a GF pancake that isn't totally WET in the center. It is pretty yucky. We don't have a waffle maker cause we tossed the teflon and I'm not sure how to prepare/care for cast iron. What I really want is a pancake type bar I could bake but that is going to take some figuring out! We had one we used before that was really good but it just doesn't seem to work with rice milk.

#6 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What about a simple fruit and nut bar?

Just mix some fruit, nuts and a little sweetener (whatever safe) and form into bars.

Here's a quick recipe I found with a google search http://millermemoir.blogspot.com/200...-nut-bars.html

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#7 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I've looked at some recipes like these but we haven't introduced tree nuts or berries yet; dried apples and raisins both cause a reaction in DS. He does eat sunflower seed butter though. As for the dried apples, I think there must have been something in the bits (citric acid, sulfites?) even though not listed on the label. They were made by a mainstream company (Gerber) so it is likely. The raisins, I think were due to the acidity. The rash seemed different than the intolerance allergy related rashes.

#8 of 17 Old 09-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried buckwheat pancakes? I always make a big batch and then freeze some to reheat in the toaster at another time. We do Bob's Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat cereal (with maple syrup and cinnamon) or Cream of Rice cereal. I also made a granola (that's more like Grape Nuts in texture) that uses the Creamy Buckwheat cereal and the Cream of Rice cereal. My kids also do spicy chickpeas for breakfast (chickpeas, curry powder, sauteed in a little olive oil). I also make bread and we serve it toasted with peanut butter and honey. We do sausage (Jones) and bacon (local smokehouse). Sweet potato bacon hash. Zucchini or cauliflower fritters (made with chickpea flour). Recipes for most of those are on my website/blog.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#9 of 17 Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 PM

sue gregg blender pancakes ftw

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#10 of 17 Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 PM

Coconut cream "rice pudding" with quinoa. Mmmmmmmmmmmm... You can do this so many ways, with apples and cinnamon, with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices, with peaches... yummy!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#11 of 17 Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 AM

We love Namaste pancake & waffle mix, with maple syrup...mmm! Namaste also makes a great Blondie mix; I use 1 bag of mix with 2 mashed overripe bananas & 3 eggs to make banana muffins...you can also throw in carob or cocoa powder, or whatever dried fruits & nuts you like.

Instead of oatmeal, we do hot rice cereal - Arrowhead Mills Rice & Shine is a good one. For cold cereal, our favorites are Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat, Erewhon Rice Twice, and EnviroKids Koala Crisp, with rice milk.

Home-fried potatoes are great - I make extra baked potatoes with dinner, and cut up the cold spuds in the morning...fry 'em with a little safflower oil, some onions, salt & pepper, and throw in any other meats and/or veggies you like.

Hope this helps!
#12 of 17 Old 09-27-2009, 01:17 AM

subbing--we need ideas. it's hard to be without eggs.

thusfar--we have:
sprouted buckwheat pancakes
attempting other kinds--but none that are great yet.
Millet muffins w/jam
GF oatmeal w/fruit
cold cereal- chex?! (when daddy is up with them)
chicken maple sausage
turkey or normal bacon.
#13 of 17 Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymommy View Post
We love Namaste pancake & waffle mix, with maple syrup...mmm! Namaste also makes a great Blondie mix; I use 1 bag of mix with 2 mashed overripe bananas & 3 eggs to make banana muffins...you can also throw in carob or cocoa powder, or whatever dried fruits & nuts you like.

Instead of oatmeal, we do hot rice cereal - Arrowhead Mills Rice & Shine is a good one. For cold cereal, our favorites are Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat, Erewhon Rice Twice, and EnviroKids Koala Crisp, with rice milk.

Home-fried potatoes are great - I make extra baked potatoes with dinner, and cut up the cold spuds in the morning...fry 'em with a little safflower oil, some onions, salt & pepper, and throw in any other meats and/or veggies you like.

Hope this helps!
Unfortunately DS reacted to potatoes. GF oats *may* be ok. We can't do eggs. Bananas are on our 'to try' list in a couple of weeks along with cocoa.

#14 of 17 Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
subbing--we need ideas. it's hard to be without eggs.

thusfar--we have:
sprouted buckwheat pancakes
attempting other kinds--but none that are great yet.
Millet muffins w/jam
GF oatmeal w/fruit
cold cereal- chex?! (when daddy is up with them)
chicken maple sausage
turkey or normal bacon.
How do you make the chicken maple sausage? What kind of turkey bacon do you buy? We need a "clean" one to try.

#15 of 17 Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM

we have bought the applegate turkey bacon as well as the applegate chicken maple sausage--however I came across this recipe and want to make it homeade soon--since i'd save a LOT of moolah:

Chicken or Turkey sausage—apple sage (maple) homemade-yum!
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...e-sausage.html
#16 of 17 Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM

thanks for the sausage recipe we will have to try that! I make a very basic sausage-

1 lb ground pork- could be other meat I just like pork and can get local pork
1.5 t salt
2 t. sage
1/2 t pepper
1/4-1/2 t. crushed red pepper
a dash of cloves

That is just a basic recipe I came up with and we really like it a lot. I had tried a few on all recipes but neither one was just right for our tastes.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#17 of 17 Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 AM

THIS is awesome, thank you from me too!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I LOVE veggie stir-fries! I like to grate a potato w/ some onion and beets!MMMM! Or for a long time I just did traditional stirfry veggies and some meat of some kind.

There are always smoothies- safe milk/yogurt- fruits- nuts/seeds for protein- add in some extra oil for good fat- like coconut oil

We do waffles/pancakes made w/ nut , seed or coconut flour, there are other gf/df options though depending on tastes- preferences and intolerances.

I try to keep it pretty simple here you don't have something different for b-fast everyday:

Monday and Thursday- eggs w/ homemade sausage- veggie hash and fresh fruit(currently pears from the in-laws)

Tuesday and Friday- hot cereal- there are many varieties- rice, buckwheat as pp said, Bob's Red MIll has a brand as well- and other grains like quinoa- millet or amaranth- I put a good amount of coconut oil in there, some cinnamon, nuts/seeds and some raw honey for sweetness

Wednesday- Coconut Flour Muffin Day!

Saturday- Mom's Day Off- Safe Cereal (Although today I did make a late b-fast w/ eggs- homemade sausage and coconut flour biscuits)

Sunday- Waffles/Pancakes- Made w/ Nut or Seed Flour or Apples(grated apples- w/ juiced squeezed out and eggs and cinnamon added)

That is what I make the kids anyway- I am pregnant w/ a few food aversions going on right now. I usually do TONS of smoothies and love green juice but since I have been pregnant(going on 32 weeks now) I cannot tolerate it for some reason. I am hoping that at least goes away by the time the baby comes as I LOVED starting the day w/ some greens- it always gave me tons of energy.

I don't like the fact that we are eating hot cereal 2 days a week, but I needed to simplify for myself, cut the budget and deal w/ the aversions- so I added that in- I don't always eat them myself though, but at least then I don't have to worry about what to feed them- I can go on autopilot.

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page