Coconut Allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if you can be allergic to coconut. I know it's usually ok for people, my DS is allergic to dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, pet dander and tested allergic to peanuts and walnuts. Because of the 2 nuts, we just don't do any nuts but tonight I gave him a few bites of coconut yogurt and he got 3 hives around his mouth and big red patches on the side of his face and his ezcema patches flared up bright red w/in a few minutes of the hives.

The only thing I can think of that was out of the ordinary in his food today was the coconut. It was dairy/soy free stuff. He's had coconut in rice before-granted I could have missed a reaction because he was eating other things he was allergic to and we had dogs so he was frequently covered in eczema and strange rashes while we tried to figure this out.

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 PM

My dd is allergic to coconut. She was ok with it topically at first but once she ingested it (and got hives around her mouth) she can no longer handle it topically either.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ANY food can cause ANY reaction.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 AM

My youngest has a strong reaction to coconut.
I think there are quite a few families here who have problems with coconut.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 PM

DS2 reacts to coconut

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-27-2009, 03:25 PM

we're pretty sure we've got one here too.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 PM

Yes it is very possible to have a coconut allergy! I have a severe one that results almost always to hospitalization when exposed. However when I was a kid it was just hives from soaps and I did't know why. It can get worse with repeated consumtion or use like many allergies!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 AM

Just wanted to pass this along. My GMIL, MIL, DH and BIL are allergic to all tree nuts (some more than others). They started out as children with little to no reaction and then it increased with age and # of exposures. GMIL has severe reactions to coconut. Please research and consider that he might be allergic to ALL tree nuts. 

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings1 View Post GMIL has severe reactions to coconut. Please research and consider that he might be allergic to ALL tree nuts. 

First off, this is a pretty old thread so I am not sure this person is around anymore.  I do want to point out that while the FDA has lumped coconut into the "tree nut" warning, it isn't a tree nut and there is no evidence that a person with a tree nut allergy is any more likely to have a coconut allergy than any other person.  A coconut allergy is actually really rare. 

Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 AM

Yes, we have an allergy to coconut. Rash, congestion, and horrible GI upset for several days after exposure... So far it seems to be DD's most uncomfortable allergy (we also are off dairy, eggs, gluten, soy, some berries, and some nuts)... I'd say coconut allergy is definitely possible.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 PM

Rare does not mean that it does not exist! My son just tested positive. MIL and GMIL are allergic to many tree byproducts, syrups, you name it. 

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Has he show an actual reaction?  A + test is a 50/50 of actually having an allergy.

As I said, rare. We have one here but they are very rare.

User Tag List