Allergies and REALLY stuffy, congested nose - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. My son 4 1/2 has recently started to get a really stuffy nose; worse at night for sure. So bad that sometimes he wakes at night crying b/c he can't breathe. We live in AZ, so I am not quite sure exactly when the allergy seasons are here, I suspect this is a combination of environmental allergies (hay fever, I have it bad) and food. As well I do recall this same thing happened last year similar time.

And, Yes, he eats dairy, and Yes, I am taking him off it completely for an entire week as a test. Am hoping that this will do it, but in the mean time what the heck can I do to alleviate the nose.

I have tried Olbas Oil Inhaler (he claims it burns his nose), homeopathic nose drops, Netti pot (as best I can with a squirmy 4 year old) and am trying so hard to avoid the OTC meds.

Any suggestions in addition to any known foods outside dairy that tend to cause nasal issues?

Thanks

Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-03-2009, 01:53 AM

That was our primary symptom for salicylates sensitivity. Switching to low sals foods cleared up the stuffy nose in about a week. NOTHING helped, it really sucked while it lasted (we were nursing, and he couldn't nurse he was so stuffy, it was a mess - lots of night waking, ugh)...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 5 Old 10-03-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg1022 View Post
Netti pot (as best I can with a squirmy 4 year old) and am trying so hard to avoid the OTC meds.
Try the Afrin Pure Sea saline stuff... it basically works the same as a neti pot, but the method might be a bit easier to use with a squirmy kid than a neti pot.

I've got terrible seasonal allergies myself, and short of taking allergy meds and/or decongestants, saline works best for me... or occasionally a dab of wasabi on my tongue, but I wouldn't recommend that for a kiddo.
#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2009, 05:15 AM

It's good that you're considering eliminating the dairy. You'd be surprised at how many people never do this, despite symptoms! I have a dairy allergy, and beyond the rash, congestion is the other symptom. As soon as I went dairy free - all my problems were gone. Good luck with that - I hope you figure it out.

You could also try an air purifier in his room. Those work wonders for me when I visit my mom.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#5 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 PM

I second the suggestion for saline spray. It may help some. And for DD, apples cause her to get really congested. I just retried them last week (last time was in January) and same reaction - very congested and up all night because she couldn't breath. Other foods cause different reactions. So you may have to look beyond dairy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page