October Allergy Observations (Chat thread) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M2S- sounds like you have been a busy beaver! Meatballs sound so good, I haven't made those in forever!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 AM

JR, wow, I'm impressed with your freezer stash!

Whome, with my oldest at that age we flip flopped alot and then I finally couldn't handle it anymore. So I helped her stay awake until 7pm and then she would crash. It took alot of energy to keep both of us from going crazy in the afternoon/evening, but the not sleeping eventually pushed me over the edge. It got to the point where I was willing to do anything except things like CIO so I sucked it up. Lavender eo helps her to fall and stay asleep better. Good luck, that sucks!

:::
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Shannon, hydrate, kefir and vit C.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 AM

There you are WuWei! I was just wondering where you've been! Did you get to go to that Dr Weil presentation?

whoMe,
I had mastitis once with each child, like high fever and the whole bit. I got through it with mega doses of C and a homeopathic remedy. I think I also took something called ProBoost the second time, it's a calf thymus protein supp. Also lots and lots of moist heat and massage. I would start that now if you think you have a plugged duct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Went to the osteopath today for DS. Of course he came home and had to poop. I swear that CST gets things moving for him! But the doctor ordered a stool test from Genova that tests for like everything: pH, occult blood, bacteriology, yeast, bile acid, pancreatic elastase, Calprotectin, Eosinophil Protein X, parasites, E. coli, Helicobacter pylori, clostridium difficile EIA, chymotrypsin, fecal fats, SCFA Distribution. I don't know what most of those mean, so after the kids go to sleep, I'm going to have to start looking things up. And he's also sending him for a Vitamin D check before I start supplementing him with the Carlson drops I got (because I asked how much I should be giving him).

This is the test I was going to do for DS1 also, but our doc suggested one by DiagnosTechs instead, saying it was just as good but cheaper. But I have wondered if the one by Genova might not be better, just because I hear so much about that one. Please let us know what comes of that. I have the kit right now for the DiagnosTechs one, but haven't done it yet.

How are you checking the D, with a blood draw? I'm still waffling on testing the kids for D. I bought the Vitamin D Council fingerprick tests but I am too chicken to do it to my kids. I have already just started giving them 2,000 per day, DS2 more right now because he is exercising his immune system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
We got a chest freezer two weeks ago. Last weekend I got 20 lbs of ground pork, 25 pounds of ground turkey and a crazy amount of chicken bits for broth making (all at really great prices). And lots of pork for making bacon.

I am soooooo sick of ground meat right now. I processed the majority of the ground meat into breakfast and italian bulk sausage, mini meatballs and meatloaves. now all I can think is ick. hopefully it will be appealing soon, since we have so much of it.

All of my H1N1 symptoms seem to be gone, but my appetite hasn't come back and starting Sunday I have felt progressively ickier in the stomach. I'm not sure what to do about that except for sipping my broth.

My oldest's homeschooling center's teacher has pink eye along with a couple of her kids. I kind of feel like a chicken keeping him home tomorrow, I just don't want to deal with all of the hygiene necessary for getting rid of pink eye.

My oldest is having a lot of pain in his teeth again. There is not decay. I believe that it is from overcrowding. His nine year molars are developing (he's six), and I think one of them is pushing on his back molar. I need to get him into CST. I think this will be the final push for me. It is just so expensive. I called insurance and explained the situation, but no-go. It is just so stupid. I think CST would really help and will prevent future problems, but insurance doesn't think preventatively.

Glad you are feeling better! How did you know you had H1N1? Or rather, what made you decide to get tested for this? Just being curious.

Was the meat fresh? Our meat is always already frozen when we get it, but I love the idea of making a bunch of meatballs/loaves to have in the freezer.

I agree about the insurance thing. TBH I have no idea why we have insurance. We are paying out the wazoo for it and I never use it. I always go to the out-of-pocket providers anyway!

JR, you are an amazing mama, get some rest girl!

Tanya, did you soak your almonds in plain water, or did you add something to the water?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Whome, with my oldest at that age we flip flopped alot and then I finally couldn't handle it anymore. So I helped her stay awake until 7pm and then she would crash. It took alot of energy to keep both of us from going crazy in the afternoon/evening, but the not sleeping eventually pushed me over the edge. It got to the point where I was willing to do anything except things like CIO so I sucked it up. Lavender eo helps her to fall and stay asleep better. Good luck, that sucks!
We've been doing no naps for pretty much the whole summer, but now she's making it clear that she *needs* a nap, and 2-6pm has been somewhat miserable every day, plus the hour after she wakes up. Today, dh chose to wake her up so she only got like an hour and a half (she was refusing to wake up after an hour) but she's been SO MUCH FUN all evening, and in the best mood she's been in in ages. I'm thinking about implementing forced naps for a while just to see what happens...

Re: insurance - if there's one thing I've been doing, it's been getting my money's worth out of our insurance - with all the random tests I'm asking for, our last 'we just paid...' statement was $1500+ I keep waiting for them to refuse to pay, but it hasn't happened yet... (knock on wood)

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
dd fell asleep at 4:30. I think she could be out for the night, but she's going to get hungry and want to get up around 3 or so... What do you DO with an exhausted toddler who can't fall asleep for a nap until it's too late cause her body chemistry is off? Keep her up and grumpy? Let her fall asleep of her own accord, in hopes that she'll start doing it earlier and earlier and eventually at a reasonable time? And just let dh deal with the nightwakings?
The only way I survive this is by having a "drop dead" nap time - if DS hasn't napped by 2pm, it doesn't get to happen. I also found that waking him up by 7:30am every morning helped (it gets easy to have them up late, then sleep late, then late nap, vicious cycle).

However, this was only a temporary fix, the real solution has been to ditch the nap (he wasn't quite ready for it six months ago, so then we were in the same nasty cycle you're in now). Sorry, I'm sure that truly sucks when you're pg .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
M2S, probiotics?
Yup, definitely - when I had swine flu this summer, I was miserable until I drank a couple of cups of water kefir a day for about a week.

I need a freezer...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 AM

This is not particularly allergy-related, but I wanted to post some success with getting DS to sleep tonight. My sister had come out for a visit and observed our bedtime routine and DS's "I will do anything to stay awake" craziness. She does ABA with children with autism, and she developed a behavioral plan based on what she observed at bedtime.

Background - when I put DS to bed, after his routine (bath, teeth, lotion, jammies, book), he nurses to sleep. If he doesn't nurse to sleep, it can take forever for me to get him to sleep, and he gets all crazy. Or DH steps in, and is better able to ignore the crazy behavior (via listening to his ipod). DS starts the night on a futon in his room. He transitions to our bed about 1am when DH goes to bed.

The plan was based on non-contingent reinforcement. If he doesn't nurse to sleep, then I stand and hold/sway/sing for 7 minutes. (This number was derived because when sis put him to bed, it never took longer than 7 minutes for DS to fall asleep in her arms.) If he's not asleep after 7 minutes, then put him on the bed and pat his back for 3 minutes, then leave the room for 2 minutes. Then cycle back to his room for another 7 minutes of hold and sing, etc.

It worked during the third cycle. A little over 30 minutes, which is loads better than the 45 minutes, hour, sometimes 2 hours or call in DH to take over that a typical night is like.

The idea is that he is still getting the attention he needs/wants from me, but it is not contingent on him doing anything. No matter what HE does, I will hold him, pat his back, and give him the opportunity to go to sleep. And the first 7 minutes, he bucked like a bronco in my arms. Previously, I would have put him down. But, I kept holding him. And he didn't want to lie down for back-patting, either. But I patted and soothed, and then got up to leave the room. He came out twice during the 2 minutes I left him alone. I led him back to bed and left the room again, and at the 2 minute mark, I picked him up and started the whole cycle again.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.

Hey - I figured out how to work it in, topically. During tonight's attempted nurse-to-sleep, he was VERY wiggly. I thought it might be a magnesium effect, because he hadn't had Epsom salts for a few days and I tossed a few liberal handfuls in his bath tonight. I even wanted to attribute the bucking bronco effect during holding/singing to mag effects. But, during the third round of holding, he just went limp.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
JR, wow, I'm impressed with your freezer stash!

Don't be. It's the result of 5 weeks of double, triple and quadruple batch cooking. It'll take a while to get back once it's gone, but apparently some part of me knew I would need it NOW. It's part of the reason I've been complaining the last few weeks about nearly killing myself with the menu. I think I'm going to scale back when I'm restocking but I guess there was a reason for it, though I didn't know it at the time.
Quote:
We've been doing no naps for pretty much the whole summer, but now she's making it clear that she *needs* a nap, and 2-6pm has been somewhat miserable every day, plus the hour after she wakes up. Today, dh chose to wake her up so she only got like an hour and a half (she was refusing to wake up after an hour) but she's been SO MUCH FUN all evening, and in the best mood she's been in in ages. I'm thinking about implementing forced naps for a while just to see what happens...

Re: insurance - if there's one thing I've been doing, it's been getting my money's worth out of our insurance - with all the random tests I'm asking for, our last 'we just paid...' statement was $1500+ I keep waiting for them to refuse to pay, but it hasn't happened yet... (knock on wood)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
The only way I survive this is by having a "drop dead" nap time - if DS hasn't napped by 2pm, it doesn't get to happen. I also found that waking him up by 7:30am every morning helped (it gets easy to have them up late, then sleep late, then late nap, vicious cycle).

However, this was only a temporary fix, the real solution has been to ditch the nap (he wasn't quite ready for it six months ago, so then we were in the same nasty cycle you're in now). Sorry, I'm sure that truly sucks when you're pg .

Yup, definitely - when I had swine flu this summer, I was miserable until I drank a couple of cups of water kefir a day for about a week.

I need a freezer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
This is not particularly allergy-related, but I wanted to post some success with getting DS to sleep tonight. My sister had come out for a visit and observed our bedtime routine and DS's "I will do anything to stay awake" craziness. She does ABA with children with autism, and she developed a behavioral plan based on what she observed at bedtime.

Background - when I put DS to bed, after his routine (bath, teeth, lotion, jammies, book), he nurses to sleep. If he doesn't nurse to sleep, it can take forever for me to get him to sleep, and he gets all crazy. Or DH steps in, and is better able to ignore the crazy behavior (via listening to his ipod). DS starts the night on a futon in his room. He transitions to our bed about 1am when DH goes to bed.

The plan was based on non-contingent reinforcement. If he doesn't nurse to sleep, then I stand and hold/sway/sing for 7 minutes. (This number was derived because when sis put him to bed, it never took longer than 7 minutes for DS to fall asleep in her arms.) If he's not asleep after 7 minutes, then put him on the bed and pat his back for 3 minutes, then leave the room for 2 minutes. Then cycle back to his room for another 7 minutes of hold and sing, etc.

It worked during the third cycle. A little over 30 minutes, which is loads better than the 45 minutes, hour, sometimes 2 hours or call in DH to take over that a typical night is like.

The idea is that he is still getting the attention he needs/wants from me, but it is not contingent on him doing anything. No matter what HE does, I will hold him, pat his back, and give him the opportunity to go to sleep. And the first 7 minutes, he bucked like a bronco in my arms. Previously, I would have put him down. But, I kept holding him. And he didn't want to lie down for back-patting, either. But I patted and soothed, and then got up to leave the room. He came out twice during the 2 minutes I left him alone. I led him back to bed and left the room again, and at the 2 minute mark, I picked him up and started the whole cycle again.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.

Hey - I figured out how to work it in, topically. During tonight's attempted nurse-to-sleep, he was VERY wiggly. I thought it might be a magnesium effect, because he hadn't had Epsom salts for a few days and I tossed a few liberal handfuls in his bath tonight. I even wanted to attribute the bucking bronco effect during holding/singing to mag effects. But, during the third round of holding, he just went limp.
Nap stuff... I actually did something similar with DS1 when he was little ASusan. This was pre-allergies dx.
We have a drop dead nap time too, Deb... Interestingly enough it's 2pm here as well. I sometimes break it... Generally only during periods of time where everything is crazy and I'm just *too* tired... Like the last week or so. It gives me a chance to "sleep in" or to catch a nap, or both, depending on which suits/fits in with the day. Sometimes neither will but hey. You do what you gotta..
Where are you storing your cow with no freezer? I noticed Polyrock sells by quarters you said. I wonder if she'd be willing to sell a full side. We have a hunter's (aka gardener's) freezer... You know, the kind that you can fit a full grown moose and a couple of deer in. (That may be a slight exaggeration. I think it's 19 cu ft) It's not used to it's best efficiency, to say the least... I bought it specifically so we could buy a side of beef, a side of pork, some fresh chickens and to store produce when we finally get our garden going.
DS1 and 2 are asleep in their (our) respective beds. DS3 is passed out in his bouncy chair. DH is sleeping on the couch. I'm going to send DH to bed, try to move DS3 to his crib and go to bed myself.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Carren - I go to two places in Quincy. I'm embarrased to say that it was factory farmed meat - 99 cents a pound for ground turkey, 79 cents a pound for chicken breasts, 1.79 a pound for watch-them-grind-it pork. My ideas is the savings I make here will allow best quality eggs and other meats.
Gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm so impressed that you prepared so much of it already. I so can't cook ahead like that.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
DS1 and 2 are asleep in their (our) respective beds. DS3 is passed out in his bouncy chair. DH is sleeping on the couch. I'm going to send DH to bed, try to move DS3 to his crib and go to bed myself.
Wow. Must be quiet. Hope you rested well.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM

DS2 was exercising his immune system this week, but is moving through it well. I have been doing: extra C (every hour or 2), extra Vit A, extra Vit D, Bioplasma cell salts, warming wet sock treatment at bedtime, and an appropriately prescribed homeopathic remedy. The remedy made a big difference, brought the fever down some, lessened cough (to where there was pretty much no cough the next day), and improved the clinginess/irritability. Using homeopathy acutely lately has really been amazing me. All the things have helped. This is the first time I have used extra Vit A for a short time.

I usually also use herbs to get through stuff like this, but haven't this time, and this has been really working.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
This is the test I was going to do for DS1 also, but our doc suggested one by DiagnosTechs instead, saying it was just as good but cheaper. But I have wondered if the one by Genova might not be better, just because I hear so much about that one. Please let us know what comes of that. I have the kit right now for the DiagnosTechs one, but haven't done it yet.

How are you checking the D, with a blood draw? I'm still waffling on testing the kids for D. I bought the Vitamin D Council fingerprick tests but I am too chicken to do it to my kids. I have already just started giving them 2,000 per day, DS2 more right now because he is exercising his immune system.
Vitamin D is a blood draw (I'm bribing him with Legos). I wanted to just give him 1000iu/day but the doctor said we should get a baseline check first because if he happens to be a good converter, then you don't want to overdose him. Makes sense, but I can't believe at this latitude that everyone doesn't need at least 1000 a day.

This Genova test is normally like $800 or something like that but I did this PayAssured program, and the most I'll have to pay is $149. If my insurance pays more, then I could get some of that back. Since they're testing for yeast AND parasites AND inflammatory markers AND a bunch of other stuff, the osteopath thinks it'll tell us a lot about his digestion. When the regular doctor wanted to test him last year it was just for parasites (it was when he was having a lot of diarrhea) and it had to be diarrhea, and I took corn/carrots/green beans/almonds out, and he stopped having the diarrhea so (1) I couldn't test the regular poop and (2) I didn't need to because I found the cause of the diarrhea.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 10-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
ETA: I'm just grateful that we've taught DS1 to refuse food so well that he remembers even while under the influence of morphine.

OMG.

I just got off the phone from speaking to a nurse at the hospital. Now bear in mind before I start that his allergy bracelet says DAIRY ALLERGY. The conversation went something like this:.........
JR, oh my gawd! You should be so proud of that boy for being so smart and strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
JR, I wouldn't drop it. That is totally asinine. I mean they guy didn't know and he was a medical professional? Hellooooooo? Definitely let someone know. Just using the word lawsuit in a sentence will certainly make them listen a little harder.
I agree, letter to the nurse manager would be my course of action. Change only happens unfortunately when something bad enough happens to get people's attention

Quote:
sorry

In short, sulfite sensitivity is a common cause of asthma, and salicylate sensitivity is as well. Molybdenum is a mineral that you need in order to process sulfites (toxic) into sulfate (important for detoxing salicylates among other things). So if you were low in molybdenum, you could easily end up with a buildup of both sulfites AND salicylates, and so you're dramatically increasing your chances of asthma. Beans and lentils are both good, cheap food sources, so they might be really helpful additions to your diet.
Would this be a reason why, despite killing candida, detoxing, sleeping well, etc, that I still have racoon eyes with sul/sal sensitivities? I do the beans a few times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Did I mention that I'm entering in some of my garden stuff? Queensland Blue and Musquee de Provence pumpkins, sibley banana squash, baby butternut, mixed greens and some watermelons as well...could be fun! (None of that stuff takes much more work...they're already growing--it's all the artsy things I've got to get started on with the kids!)
Ooooh thats great. I hope you get a blue ribbon

Quote:
And totally off topic for this forum, but I'm so sad and frustrated. We've been paying for private therapy for DS, with a therapist who works with us long distance ....
I am so sorry about the therapist, I hope you can come to some resolution with her and continue with her.

Quote:
We'll see tomorrow if my burning CLO fixes anything and if I'm even right And yeah, I'm thinking it's an age thing. In any case, it was burning my throat AND my EARS for a long time afterwards - my throat still burns. Yuck. I never want to even risk experiencing something like that again. I was practically in tears. No more CLO in this house. Dh is THRILLED .
Oh my yuck! I was just contemplating adding fCLO to the rotation and now you have me scared!

Quote:
just made a chocolate shake/mousse.
changes to the recipe were:
1 c unsoaked () sunflower seeds
2 avocadoes instead of strawberries
7 ounces rice milk plus 2 ounces evoo instead of coconut milk (and to make up missing moisture from berries)
extra honey- about 3 tablespoons?
cocoa powder- about 1/4 cup

was a little grainy but that could probably be changed by soaking the seeds

ETA: I'd be happier if it was strawberry. I miss berries!
Uh, JR, YUM!!! I will get some seeds this weekend and try this, sounds delish

I saw a program on the Green Earth channel the other day about off the grid living in Alaska and thought of you and your family. It was soooo cool to watch.

Quote:
...or my midwife found what felt like a plugged duct - so potentially the beginning of mastitis. ...Did I mention that I'm EXHAUSTED?
okay, pity party over. sigh.
I am so sorry about the potential mastitis. I know gross, but DH giving mine a good suck got the plug moving. Don't know if you can exactly do that when PG without risking something funky happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Then I topped it with some farm fresh eggs and put it on top of some homemade nut crackers- made w/ a blend of brazils- almonds-sunflowers and pecans- with some rosemary and chopped figs.
Share the recipe for the crackers please, those sound yummo

Quote:
Went to the osteopath today for DS. Of course he came home and had to poop. I swear that CST gets things moving for him! But the doctor ordered a stool test from Genova that tests for like everything...
We had DS's stool test done with Genova, it was very helpful and insightful. Unfortunately a lot of the supps needed to kill off what he was infected with, he refused to take based on taste. We ended up with a sulohur based compounded antibiotic that made DS wheeze and put him in the ER and he now has an EPI jr.

Quote:
OK, we're a week into our raw cow dairy trial (right now, DS is drinking raw cow kefir mixed 1/2 with straight raw milk, and I'm still dairy free). We saw symptoms by this point last trial, so I'm getting cautiously hopeful. I'll run it another few days as is, then I'll try drinking kefir and see what happens.
I hope the trial is still successful for you!

Quote:
We got a chest freezer two weeks ago. Last weekend I got 20 lbs of ground pork, 25 pounds of ground turkey and a crazy amount of chicken bits for broth making (all at really great prices). And lots of pork for making bacon.

I am soooooo sick of ground meat right now. I processed the majority of the ground meat into breakfast and italian bulk sausage, mini meatballs and meatloaves. now all I can think is ick. hopefully it will be appealing soon, since we have so much of it.

All of my H1N1 symptoms seem to be gone, but my appetite hasn't come back and starting Sunday I have felt progressively ickier in the stomach. I'm not sure what to do about that except for sipping my broth.
M2s, where do you get your skins to do sausage? I have the big kitchen aid mixer, and I think i'd like to try this. I hid liver in meatloaf last night. Think of all the other good stuff I could hide in sausage! And how was getting through H1n1? what was your worst days like?

Quote:
Carren - I go to two places in Quincy...
can you share where? I'd be willing to mae a drive for those prices

Quote:
Do you have a list of all the tests you asked for? I remember a few from before I disappeared. My annual is coming up and I am asking my doc for a lot, want to compare my list to yours to see if I am missing anythign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
This is not particularly allergy-related, but I wanted to post some success with getting DS to sleep tonight.
How did he do last night? I hope even better!

So yeah I apologize for dropping off the face of the planet. Things got very hard at home with DS, and our marriage took a really bad turn. So much of our stress was food allergy related, not being on the same page, etc, not seeing much improvement, going broke maxing out credit cards trying to figure it out. We just got in one of those bad ruts and took out our frustrations on each other. And in the midst of all this, my 20yr old bio 1/2 sis had a breakdown, lost her job, ended up hospitalized for 2mo and then was going to be homeless in UT. We brought her here, got her into treatment, and are helping her get back on her feet. And with all that, my boss got on me about not having my head in the game. MDC had to take a backseat for a while.

I am happy to report that marriage counseling is working wonders, DS is much better on elecare (weaning timed perfectly with a huge supply loss with AF, and he never went back for the boobies), sleeping is so much better, and we are adding some food back now. Guess who likes bubbies kraut? We got his Genova results back, CITROBACTER but no yeast, but the remedies for the bacteria ended up with an allergic reaction, ER, EPI pen now. I am in week 2 of a major detox for myself. Lemon water, Kombucha, clay, Coco oil, steam, lots of NT foods, probiotics, and JUICING!!! Bought a breville juicer and an Oster steamer, might just be my two new best friends. DS is drinking green juice too with no reactions. Hubby and I also started doing couch to 5k, we are just trying to get life on track and everything seems to be falling into place.

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
This Genova test is normally like $800 or something like that but I did this PayAssured program, and the most I'll have to pay is $149. If my insurance pays more, then I could get some of that back. Since they're testing for yeast AND parasites AND inflammatory markers AND a bunch of other stuff, the osteopath thinks it'll tell us a lot about his digestion. When the regular doctor wanted to test him last year it was just for parasites (it was when he was having a lot of diarrhea) and it had to be diarrhea, and I took corn/carrots/green beans/almonds out, and he stopped having the diarrhea so (1) I couldn't test the regular poop and (2) I didn't need to because I found the cause of the diarrhea.
Oh that's right, I did call about the Genova one and they told me about that. Did they (Genova) give you that quote up front, that would be the price? Or did your doc know that?

I wonder if I should go back and get that one instead, because that one would be even cheaper.

Is the one he is doing the Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 with parasitology?

http://www.genovadiagnostics.com/ind...task=view&id=4

There is the CDSA 2.0 or not 2.0, and one with or without parasitology, but I just want to do whichever one gets the most info.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry to hear things were so hard, Beantown Baby. I'm glad they seem to be straightening out now.
I don't live in Alaska, but I'd like to. Lisa and her family do though.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Oh that's right, I did call about the Genova one and they told me about that. Did they (Genova) give you that quote up front, that would be the price? Or did your doc know that?

I wonder if I should go back and get that one instead, because that one would be even cheaper.

Is the one he is doing the Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 with parasitology?

http://www.genovadiagnostics.com/ind...task=view&id=4

There is the CDSA 2.0 or not 2.0, and one with or without parasitology, but I just want to do whichever one gets the most info.
This one is called "CDSA 2.0 Random" The doctor told me about the PayAssured Insurance Billing thing. I have to fill out a bunch of forms but if it's affordable that way, I'll do it.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM

BeantownBaby- Here is the cracker recipe- mine weren't nearly that pretty and perfect as I didn't have parchment paper, but still tasty!
http://www.elanaspantry.com/rosemary-fig-crackers/

- holy toledo you sound like you have been busy, but what a positive upswing on all fronts! I love juicing as well, I think it helps me mentally so much not to mention the great physical benefits.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post

I am happy to report that marriage counseling is working wonders, DS is much better on elecare (weaning timed perfectly with a huge supply loss with AF, and he never went back for the boobies), sleeping is so much better, and we are adding some food back now. Guess who likes bubbies kraut? .
Hey beantownbaby. Are you saying that your ds started doing better with allergies after weaning? If so, thats the second time I've heard that (first time was in this very thread). Whats elecare?

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Old 10-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post
Would this be a reason why, despite killing candida, detoxing, sleeping well, etc, that I still have racoon eyes with sul/sal sensitivities? I do the beans a few times a week.
I don't know much about racoon eyes. But anyone with sals sensitivity, I'm curious if molybdenum would help. Beans/lentils are the best food source, but to correct a deficiency (as opposed to just maintenance), my bet is that they'd need to be a daily staple.

Quote:
I am so sorry about the potential mastitis. I know gross, but DH giving mine a good suck got the plug moving. Don't know if you can exactly do that when PG without risking something funky happening
I can't even feel anything or find it myself, so I don't much know what to do with it. I'm taking it easy, and last night my temp was down. I also seem to be having tummy trouble. I think my body is just trying to really mess with my head...
Quote:
Do you have a list of all the tests you asked for? I remember a few from before I disappeared. My annual is coming up and I am asking my doc for a lot, want to compare my list to yours to see if I am missing anythign
not exactly. I mean, I could try to put a list together, but it's basically just, I read about a test, think it might be relevant, and ask for it. Not all of them turn out to be useful at all - last time we ended up ordering *me* a newborn heel stick for PKU We didn't exactly follow through with that one...

Glad things are turning around for you!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 PM

JR - your story was transferred to my dreams last night.

I went to my hometown for a reunion, accompanied by DS. We went to the credit union, where local high schoolers on the track team were having a breakfast. They wanted to ooh and ahh over DS. I told them that he needed to eat, but could not do dairy, egg, wheat or peanut - even in my dreams, I know the big ones he needs to avoid. The first one offered him some egg. "No egg!" I snatched DS back to me. The second offered him a grilled cheese sandwich (2 forms of dairy - cheese inside and butter outside, and wheat in the bread). Trying to be gentle, but with my heart racing, I said, "I know you guys are still in high school, but don't you know that bread is made of wheat flour and milk and butter are made from dairy?" We left the credit union still hungry.

BeantownBaby - I'm so glad you were able to get counselling and that it is helpful to you. Sometimes I think that DH and I could easily be headed down a very bad road (and he's not been entirely open to the idea of counseling in the past.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Where are you storing your cow with no freezer? I noticed Polyrock sells by quarters you said. I wonder if she'd be willing to sell a full side. We have a hunter's (aka gardener's) freezer... You know, the kind that you can fit a full grown moose and a couple of deer in. (That may be a slight exaggeration. I think it's 19 cu ft) It's not used to it's best efficiency, to say the least... I bought it specifically so we could buy a side of beef, a side of pork, some fresh chickens and to store produce when we finally get our garden going.
We're getting our first cow on Nov 17, and I have a freezer on order (just a small one, 7cu ft). I think she'd be happy to sell a full side, I think she just does the quarters because that is easier to handle for most people. We did some canning this year, and I want to do more, but I think it's primarily going to be meat storage. I need a good local source for bulk pastured chickens, buying them one at a time is insanely expensive.

I'm having a ton of trouble balancing DS' B6 intake these days. Too much and he gets hyper, too little and he gets stimmy (he eats a lot of protein, so gets ammonia buildup if he runs short of B6). Right now he gets his B6 from me, and the dairy trial is decreasing his nursing, so he's not getting as much - but it's a fine balance. I got a Thorne B complex I'm going to put in my "kitten" capsules and see if he'll take them, I think it's time he gets his own B6. In case anyone is curious, 1 Thorne B capsule fits into 6 of the kitten capsules. So you really can get a pretty significant amount of B in these tiny capsules (especially if you give them 2-3 times a day, but I think even one would be great for a lot of our kids - DS needs more B than most kids).

And I drank my first cow kefir this morning (yumm!!) - I think DS is fine with cow kefir, but me drinking it is a whole different issue (since he'll likely get the cow protein but not the enzymes to help process it).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM

I'll have to check out the kitten capsules since dd can't do the bigger ones yet and the supp has to taste perfect to her! Interesting on the B6. DD is taking Super Nuthera which has TONS of B6 and she is kind of hyper. It's been ok so far, but like you or someone else said upthread I think it'd be good if she gets a little more mag.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We're getting our first cow on Nov 17, and I have a freezer on order (just a small one, 7cu ft). I think she'd be happy to sell a full side, I think she just does the quarters because that is easier to handle for most people. We did some canning this year, and I want to do more, but I think it's primarily going to be meat storage. I need a good local source for bulk pastured chickens, buying them one at a time is insanely expensive.

I'm having a ton of trouble balancing DS' B6 intake these days. Too much and he gets hyper, too little and he gets stimmy (he eats a lot of protein, so gets ammonia buildup if he runs short of B6). Right now he gets his B6 from me, and the dairy trial is decreasing his nursing, so he's not getting as much - but it's a fine balance. I got a Thorne B complex I'm going to put in my "kitten" capsules and see if he'll take them, I think it's time he gets his own B6. In case anyone is curious, 1 Thorne B capsule fits into 6 of the kitten capsules. So you really can get a pretty significant amount of B in these tiny capsules (especially if you give them 2-3 times a day, but I think even one would be great for a lot of our kids - DS needs more B than most kids).

And I drank my first cow kefir this morning (yumm!!) - I think DS is fine with cow kefir, but me drinking it is a whole different issue (since he'll likely get the cow protein but not the enzymes to help process it).
I need a good source for bulk pastured anything, so I'm grateful for the Polyrock info. If I were in Manitoba, I could call my cousins or get stuff from my brothers' sources and in Ontario, one of my good friends gets everything from the same farm and has barter partnerships with some hunters.. but I'm clueless here. I've heard rumors of pastured pigs in Noti though... I need to follow up on that

: and on the kefir!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Just made the liverwurst pate for lunch and it was pretty good!

And at dd's request, we just made apple fries. Definitely a keeper! We dipped in peanut butter mixed with melted CO and maple syrup

Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 PM

JR, do you know about www.eatwild.com?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Just made the liverwurst pate for lunch and it was pretty good!

And at dd's request, we just made apple fries. Definitely a keeper! We dipped in peanut butter mixed with melted CO and maple syrup
Awesome! Liver is so good especially for us pregos! The apple fries sound scrumptious!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Mm, apple fries!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Just had to tell you... the oven part came today and DH installed it before he went in for night shift. So I turned the oven on and made sweet potato fries (for DS), roasted potatoes (for me), garlic bread (for DD1), meatsauce on the cooktop (for DS and DD1, in case you think we didn't get any protein), and peach crisp (for everyone but only DS and I had it). I am soooooo excited to have a working oven again.

And the coconut milk ice cream was on sale for 2/$8 at Whole Foods yesterday. I should go back and stock up.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just had to tell you... the oven part came today and DH installed it before he went in for night shift. So I turned the oven on and made sweet potato fries (for DS), roasted potatoes (for me), garlic bread (for DD1), meatsauce on the cooktop (for DS and DD1, in case you think we didn't get any protein), and peach crisp (for everyone but only DS and I had it). I am soooooo excited to have a working oven again.

And the coconut milk ice cream was on sale for 2/$8 at Whole Foods yesterday. I should go back and stock up.

That's where I found out about the pastured pigs, Shannon, thanks... I think the cattle farm in Noti is the one which requires spring orders.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 PM

And I know this has nothing to do with anything, but when I tucked DD1 in tonight (she's 12yo), she asked me point blank if I was Santa Claus. I couldn't lie to her and DH has been telling me for the last 3-4 years that I should be telling her so she hears it from us and not mean kids on the bus. But she looked so bereft when I said yes, with a tear rolling slowly down her cheek, and then she said "I still love you, Mom." She's too cute. I hate those parenting moments though. I just feel like I let her down.

Back to the regularly scheduled program, what should I bake tomorrow now that my oven is working?

User Tag List