October Allergy Observations (Chat thread) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're a little late, but it's here and we can't ignore it any longer.
Last chat thread is here.

Welcome to those just joining us. Feel free to jump in with both feet. We'll do our best to help.

I'm tired today and probably will forget to update or I would say I would. DS1 *may* be getting released from the hospital today (appendectomy for those who don't know) and I have 2 sick LOs besides. I'm thinking we're going to have to take a break from our menu plan bc we haven't managed to get to the store for groceries and I'll have to rely on our freezer stash of foods for a couple of days at least. I'm not looking forward to the aftermath of this round of illness.
I'm presently trying to psych myself up for TED recipe testing. Might as well do it when I don't have to so it's fun, right? Besides, I'm still not entirely convinced DS3 is totally allergen free. There are some things that have me suspicious- like the little patch of dry skin behind his ear that comes and goes and his spitting up.
Anyway, have fun!
Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians in the crowd and Happy Halloween to any who celebrate that holiday!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-04-2009, 02:41 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JR,

Sorry to hear everyone is sick.

I'm totally convinced we're all still suffering from "something" food related but I have no idea how to figure it out. It's subtle. Except for Adam's roving around the bed last night that kept me up all night.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for the new chat thread. I was going to ask, but didn't want the job of putting it together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
JR,

Sorry to hear everyone is sick.

I'm totally convinced we're all still suffering from "something" food related but I have no idea how to figure it out. It's subtle. Except for Adam's roving around the bed last night that kept me up all night.
to everything she said. But sub Adam with dd. She wasn't exactly roving, but let's just say I've been awake since an hour before dawn, and she was up till crazy hours last night. On top of the mysterious "something" reaction, I'm starting to wonder if she reacts to going to the toddler amusement park that we have season passes for... We only ate our own food, and she doesn't usually react to traces (that I can tell). Maybe it's just overstimulation? She would NOT go to bed last night... You'd think she'd be completely exhausted after a day of fun!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 02:55 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JR, here's the linky I managed to screw up posting earlier, for the beefalo.

And LOL on the toddler mysterious food reactions... I blame everything on teething and zeolite, but who knows if it is true!

I am overwhelmed by my cow's milk kefir. I make about a quart a day, and my tsp of kefir grains turned into 1/4 CUP overnight. It's completely out of control. And DS won't drink it by the afternoon because it's so grainy/thick.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
JR, here's the linky I managed to screw up posting earlier, for the beefalo.

And LOL on the toddler mysterious food reactions... I blame everything on teething and zeolite, but who knows if it is true!

I am overwhelmed by my cow's milk kefir. I make about a quart a day, and my tsp of kefir grains turned into 1/4 CUP overnight. It's completely out of control. And DS won't drink it by the afternoon because it's so grainy/thick.
thanks!
if i ever had any hope of getting dairy back, you KNOW i'd be beating down your door for grains. i say take them to saturday market and give them away to the whomever wants them.. there's also a kefir grains recipes thread that was started by menomena i think and whoMe participated in..

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
JR, here's the linky I managed to screw up posting earlier, for the beefalo.

And LOL on the toddler mysterious food reactions... I blame everything on teething and zeolite, but who knows if it is true!

I am overwhelmed by my cow's milk kefir. I make about a quart a day, and my tsp of kefir grains turned into 1/4 CUP overnight. It's completely out of control. And DS won't drink it by the afternoon because it's so grainy/thick.
You've tried taking the grains out in the morning and refrigerating the kefir till afternoon? Does it still get thicker? (I don't exactly have real milk kefir experience )

The biggest thing that has me concerned about dd is the random mild pimply rash that's been hanging around for almost a week now... Plus crazy (not) sleeping. And she has all her teeth. I guess I just assume everything is a nutrient deficiency. I want my hair and arsenic test results back! Oh but I got my midwife panel back, and my vit D is 49. After a summer of medium sun, and a partial small bottle of D3. Woo hoo, I don't have weird vit D issues!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG.

I just got off the phone from speaking to a nurse at the hospital. Now bear in mind before I start that his allergy bracelet says DAIRY ALLERGY. The conversation went something like this:

<DH gives the phone to the nurse after about 5 minutes of trying to play telephone on the telephone>
Nurse: Hello?
Me (already so ticked that I was yelling into the phone trying to get the guy to hear me while DH was on the phone): Hi.
Nurse: I want to give him Pediatric Ensure.
Me: And I said no.
Nurse: it's lactose free.
Me: he can't have it.
Nurse: It only contains the milk proteins.
Me: He's allergic to dairy.
Nurse: It doesn't contain lactose.
Me: He's not lactose intolerant. He's dairy allergic.
Nurse (begins to speak very slowly and clearly- the way you speak when you think someone is truly an idiot): ... it says it only contains milk proteins.
Me (I return the favor of speaking very slowly and clearly): Yes. Milk proteins. You're a medical professional, right? Can you tell me what the milk proteins ARE? I can tell you, if you like. Casein and whey. You know how I know that? He is ALLERGIC to milk PROTEINS.
Nurse (sounding stunned): Oh... Okay.

Something like that. Except it took a few goes around of me telling him that DS1 is allergic to milk proteins not "just" lactose intolerant before he actually got it. Really. It's THAT hard to get?!

eta: during one of the go rounds, I said "he's allergic to milk. Not lactose. Milk." which I think is how we got onto the emphasizing of the word proteins.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah and did I mention that they were trying to give him the broth from beef BARLEY soup last night?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we change the world, one of the highest priority things will be to get decent nutrition and awareness into hospitals. Wow. I hear it's hard for a diagnosed celiac to get safe food (and medicine) at a hospital. Seriously, what's with the disconnect? Isn't this basic, basic stuff?
I was afraid at first that you were going to say they gave it to him, then asked. At least you caught it in time!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
When we change the world, one of the highest priority things will be to get decent nutrition and awareness into hospitals. Wow. I hear it's hard for a diagnosed celiac to get safe food (and medicine) at a hospital. Seriously, what's with the disconnect? Isn't this basic, basic stuff?
I was afraid at first that you were going to say they gave it to him, then asked. At least you caught it in time!
In a way, they did- or tried to. DH came home for a shower and they took it to ds1. He told them he couldn't have it and mom was sending food from home. They told him it was ok, he said he'd wait for the ok from mom or dad.
eta: and argued w/ dh after he got there for about 10 minutes before he called me too.

ETA: I'm just grateful that we've taught DS1 to refuse food so well that he remembers even while under the influence of morphine.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 06:01 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JR, I'm stunned. At some point, I think writing to them, just to let them know of the HUGE legal liability they're setting themselves up for. Not that the legal liability is the important part of course, but I bet if you send a few copies, including one to their legal department, that may drive change more than just saying hey, you almost caused anaphalaxis in my son. Seriously, what's the point of the bracelet?!?

I am so sorry you had to do that fight. That's just wrong. I'm really impressed with your son, sounds like a good kid all-around (between that and some of the other stuff you've said about him).

Around here it's raining. I guess I forgot how much it rains in the fall/winter here in Houston, or maybe last year was unusually dry. But we are doing the big garage clean-up anyway, we're getting rid of cubic yards of stuff. It's stunning. But the garage will look nice and be more functional, and making some more progress on the house too. Got lots done in the spring, the summer was just hot and sticky and yuck, and now that it's cooling down, we're getting going again.

And DH is feeling motivated to make changes. I am thrilled. For several years now, he's felt out of control of his life, things just happen and he has to deal with it. Feeling like I have the ability to affect change in our lives has been a huge help in coping with all this, and he hasn't had that. But I think he's getting it, and I think it's a really good sign.
tanyalynn is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
In a way, they did- or tried to. DH came home for a shower and they took it to ds1. He told them he couldn't have it and mom was sending food from home. They told him it was ok, he said he'd wait for the ok from mom or dad.
eta: and argued w/ dh after he got there for about 10 minutes before he called me too.

ETA: I'm just grateful that we've taught DS1 to refuse food so well that he remembers even while under the influence of morphine.
Yikes! You've got a great kid there. Good job!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, he is a great kid.
DH thinks I should just drop it. I think not. How do we expect people to be educated about a medical condition sa allergies if even the HOSPITALS are clueless?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JR, I wouldn't drop it. That is totally asinine. I mean they guy didn't know and he was a medical professional? Hellooooooo? Definitely let someone know. Just using the word lawsuit in a sentence will certainly make them listen a little harder.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. A pox on whoever posted the links to the donuts. Now I want to make them. But, I can't find a mini donut pan that doesn't have non stick coatings.

Any ideas?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ok. A pox on whoever posted the links to the donuts. Now I want to make them. But, I can't find a mini donut pan that doesn't have non stick coatings.

Any ideas?
Donuts? What? Where?
I've been trying to figure that out for a while... I figure a muffin tin but what from there?

ETA: Oh yeah, and DH's excuse for the idiocy this morning is that "lots of people say they're allergic to dairy when they really just mean they're lactose intolerant".

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
OMG.
Something like that. Except it took a few goes around of me telling him that DS1 is allergic to milk proteins not "just" lactose intolerant before he actually got it. Really. It's THAT hard to get?!

eta: during one of the go rounds, I said "he's allergic to milk. Not lactose. Milk." which I think is how we got onto the emphasizing of the word proteins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Oh yeah and did I mention that they were trying to give him the broth from beef BARLEY soup last night?
What a bunch of morons!! I was telling DH last night. I said can you imagine if this was some little old lady with no family to bring her food and yet the hospital can give her food that makes her sick? How horrible is that?! Ugh. I was so glad at the Children's Hospital when I took DD2 for her toe infection. They wouldn't even give her the acetominophin suppository because it had soy in it and they weren't sure if it would cause a reaction "that direction" as it would going through the mouth. I mean the kid is already sick, and they want to feed him what he's allergic to? I swear, the world is filled with idiots.

Whenever someone says they're allergic to something, I ask them to clarify. I say allergy or intolerance? And if they say allergy, I ask if it's contact, ingested and/or anaphylaxis?

My back has been hurting since last Monday (fair) and DD2 hasn't slept since then. I thought she slept on the 4th night, but she really just slept with DS in his loft bed (that she's fallen off of before). She's a crab and a half, and so am I. I woke up at 3am to ice my back last night. It was horrible. I can't believe it's all from some iodized salt. I'm wondering if it's something new....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh and can you put the word CHAT somewhere in the title because when I do a search and I know it's in a chat thread, but I don't remember when, I do a search with chat to find them all.... I know, picky, picky.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Donuts? What? Where?
I've been trying to figure that out for a while... I figure a muffin tin but what from there?

ETA: Oh yeah, and DH's excuse for the idiocy this morning is that "lots of people say they're allergic to dairy when they really just mean they're lactose intolerant".
Must have been posted in another thread. Here it is:

http://www.heiressintraining.com/200...ughnut-recipe/

Did you remind DH that one does not get a medical alert bracelet for lactose intolerance?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been living on leftovers but now they're all gone. So I'm making hot dogs with canned beans and fries for supper bc I don't want meatloaf or chili and don't have buns for sloppy joes. I guess I could make dirty rice... Oh wait. Nope can't. I used all my beef broth for soup for ds1.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Must have been posted in another thread. Here it is:

http://www.heiressintraining.com/200...ughnut-recipe/

Did you remind DH that one does not get a medical alert bracelet for lactose intolerance?
It's not a medical alert bracelet... Well, it is but it's the red paper and plastic bracelet from the hospital. And I feel it's necessary to remind everyone that his allergy, though IgE, hasn't shown ana tendencies. However, I think that dh may have said it was an intolerance bc he doesn't listen to a word I say on the subject so I don't think he realizes that dairy is a true allergy not "just" an intolerance. And bc it's not a life threatening allergy, he seems to think it's no big deal. He'll still occasionally say "I'll deal with his behavior (from eating whatever), I want to go eat <whatever>." So, to him it's just how we eat so DS1's behavior is "better" and I can practically see the switch on his listening turn to "off" if I start trying to tell him how it effects him in other ways.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JR- that is absolutely INSANE about the hospital food! I expect regular people to be ignorant about that, but to be a so called medical professional arguing with you about your own kid, seriously is crazy!

I have made those donuts before you can just fry them up, actually I like them fried better- you know in palm or coconut oil or whatever.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
JR- that is absolutely INSANE about the hospital food! I expect regular people to be ignorant about that, but to be a so called medical professional arguing with you about your own kid, seriously is crazy!

I have made those donuts before you can just fry them up, actually I like them fried better- you know in palm or coconut oil or whatever.
Did you use a donut dropper or just put blobs of batter in the pan? I don't know how thick the batter is..

ETA: Guess if I actually read the post, I'd know. A donut dropper should work with them..

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 AM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have a donut dropper and I have made a few different recipes, so cannot remember the exact consistency of that dough. I cannot remember if I had to pour it or if it would form.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 AM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
whoMe, got an adrenal fatigue question for you.

Did you get tested to figure out what stage you were in, back when you started all this? What stage was that?

I was just working my way backward through the 7 stages, and a) I think I've moved from stage 5 to stage 4, which is good, but then I looked at stage 3.

The description on this page...
http://www.chronicfatigue.org/ASI%203.html

talks about a feeling of anxiety, even almost panic attacks, because cortisol is so elevated. That doesn't sound fun, it sounds seriously like a bummer. I had a phase like that, but it was during a high-stress phase when I was going downhill rapidly, just before I quit working, so I don't think it was quite the same, but it was still not fun.

So I wanted to ask, did you notice stuff like that? I'm thinking the usual deal of frequent, small, protein-containing snacks is part of levelling that out? Any tips? Or maybe you didn't get it, which would be a spark of hope.
tanyalynn is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 AM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
whoMe, got an adrenal fatigue question for you.

Did you get tested to figure out what stage you were in, back when you started all this? What stage was that?

I was just working my way backward through the 7 stages, and a) I think I've moved from stage 5 to stage 4, which is good, but then I looked at stage 3.

The description on this page...
http://www.chronicfatigue.org/ASI%203.html

talks about a feeling of anxiety, even almost panic attacks, because cortisol is so elevated. That doesn't sound fun, it sounds seriously like a bummer. I had a phase like that, but it was during a high-stress phase when I was going downhill rapidly, just before I quit working, so I don't think it was quite the same, but it was still not fun.

So I wanted to ask, did you notice stuff like that? I'm thinking the usual deal of frequent, small, protein-containing snacks is part of levelling that out? Any tips? Or maybe you didn't get it, which would be a spark of hope.
My test was through a different lab that doesn't do stages like that. I remember looking at the graphs and not really fitting with them - I had high morning cortisol, then low/normal noon, low afternoon, low/normal nighttime. Later, looking at some of the abstracts from that psychoneuroendocrinology conference I didn't make it to Someone had done a study comparing postpartum cortisol patterns of people with or without childhood trauma. I fit the definition of a traumatic childhood, since my dad died when I was 8, and the pattern they found was one that exactly matched my results In terms of healing, it was like switches for me - the right vitamins (b5/b6 etc) and irritability and insomnia vanished, then the high biotin and I think that fixed my cholesterol, and vanquished the adrenal fatigue along with it. Did I mention that I've flat out skipped my mag and B5 (the two biggest players for me) several times a week, and not paid the adrenal price? It seems like the opposite would be true at this point in pregnancy, if anything...

So yeah. No anxiety/panic attacks. The time that I'm guessing my cortisol was the highest was just a happy energy high, no bad stuff along with it, and the year after when I think I crashed hard (possibly my low point?) was just depression. Never had a panic attack to go with it, and depending how you define anxiety, I've either *always* had it (shyness, easy to cry, sensitive kid) or else not until the past year or so (unreasonably worried about stuff).

Time for bed. My mom's ordering enterolab testing, and my hair test should be in tomorrow

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 AM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I don't have a donut dropper and I have made a few different recipes, so cannot remember the exact consistency of that dough. I cannot remember if I had to pour it or if it would form.
Ohh, sorry now I remember. The batter is kind of like cake batter. I put them in a baggie and cut a whole out the corner and squeezed it out. If I would have had like an icing squeezer that would have worked well- with a big whole of course. So, if that is what the donut dropper does that will work wonders.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
 
linguistmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Happy Valley
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JR, that's insane! When my diabetic SIL was in the hospital last the nurses kept offering her Oreos .

Mm, donuts So far our rotation is going well. We're only on day five, but we stuck to it even when we were all sick

:::
linguistmama is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Ohh, sorry now I remember. The batter is kind of like cake batter. I put them in a baggie and cut a whole out the corner and squeezed it out. If I would have had like an icing squeezer that would have worked well- with a big whole of course. So, if that is what the donut dropper does that will work wonders.
I tried a different recipe which I fried. Tasted like fried dough. Yum. But I thought I'd be good and try a baked version.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 AM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I consider it being good to fry (well assuming you are using a good oil!) I think high fat diets are good for us I think the fat is the healthiest part of the donut

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off