Mucus in EBF baby Poop= Allergies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is about 11 weeks old, EBF. She's had mucus in her poop off and on since she was 5-6 weeks old. She has been to the doctor for it once. The doctor did a stool culture to check for a virus or bacteria, but it came back normal. The doctor also gave us some probiotics to give her, and they seemed to help a little, but the mucus never completely went away. I haven't seen a completely normal poop in a long time (though they are yellow/brown, just with mucus. I see a greenish one maybe twice a week).

As far as I know she is still gaining pretty well (7 lbs even at birth to 11.5 lbs at 11 weeks...we weighed her at the doctor on Friday). It seems like her weight gain has slowed down a little bit, but it isn't too concerning. At her 2 mo. appt. she was 50th %ile for both weight and height.

The past few weeks it seems like her poop is getting slimier. I decided to go on the TED (found on Dr. Sears' site) diet on Friday and have been doing it for four days. I haven't noticed an improvement, and to be honest, it almost seems a little worse. She had two big gross slimy poops today. They were yellow/brown.

I am taking her back in to the doctor tomorrow because I am starting to worry about her. She seems fussier lately. That and the mucus in her poop are the main symptoms I've noticed, but she doesn't have eczema, and sleeps really well at night. She goes to sleep usually around 11pm and doesn't wake up until 9am. I nurse her and change her diaper in her sleep! She just stirs a little to let me know she needs something and never fully wakes up. I'm not sure if this means her allergies (if she has them) are not that bad, but I still don't like the fact that she has mucus in her poop.

What do you guys think? Honestly, I'm terrified of the ped. telling me to put my daughter on formula. I don't think it is incredibly likely, since she is a pro-BF ped, but I am still really, really scared. Of course I'll do whatever I can to help my daughter be able to digest properly, but if we have to do formula I will totally feel like a failure as a mother.

I guess I just need some encouragement.

ETA: She doesn't spit up that often either...maybe 3-4 times a week if that.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#2 of 15 Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM

It can take 2 weeks for dairy proteins to leave your system, and potentially another 2-3 weeks to leave baby's system, so don't give up hope yet! Are you reading labels and checking for "hidden" dairy? I can't even have traces of dairy or DD becomes symptomatic again, as well as with any soy.

Hang in there, it often gets worse before it gets better as the allergens leave the system.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 15 Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention: I have been dairy-free for a long time. I have been lactose intolerant for most of my life that I can remember, mainly reacting to straight milk and stuff like soft cheeses and ice cream. I usually could tolerate yogurt and some hard cheeses, but then I got pregnant and that ended! I tried some cheese a couple of times since I gave birth, but with the same reaction...major tummy upset. I'm honestly not sure if I have lactose intolerance or an intolerance to cow milk protein, because I have tried lactaid milk (while pregnant) with the same result. Anyway, so I haven't had dairy in probably 2 months or more.

I could have had some dairy accidentally if it were an additive, but definitely not within the last four days.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#4 of 15 Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post
The past few weeks it seems like her poop is getting slimier. I decided to go on the TED (found on Dr. Sears' site) diet on Friday and have been doing it for four days. I haven't noticed an improvement, and to be honest, it almost seems a little worse. She had two big gross slimy poops today. They were yellow/brown.
Keep a food journal whatever you do. 4 days isn't enough to get the previous stuff out of your system. If however, it does get worse, it can be (1) getting worse before it gets better [note: this has never happened to us, but has happened to other people here] or (2) and I think more likely, the baby is sensitive to something in the TED (for instance my DS can't have turkey or rice, so it wouldn't have worked well for him). I'm not a fan of the TED for nursing mothers. I think it's easier and less stressful to just go off the big 4 (dairy, gluten, soy, corn). It cuts out almost all processed foods, but since you'll have more foods available you're less likely to eat the same thing every day, so you'll be able to see the other foods that s/he may be sensitive to that much easier. There's no blood in the poop right (they tested for that?)? That she's a happy sleeping baby is wonderful!!

No skin issues?
No congestion issues?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 15 Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if they tested for blood or not, the nurse just called and said the results were "normal." In addition, the doctor looked at her poop under a microscope and when I asked about the possibility of allergies causing the mucus, she said "I don't think so, not with the type of cells I'm seeing."

I'm not sure I believe her, because I have noticed a difference in her poops depending on what I eat. I got green poops to go away almost completely by not eating corn, the one time I forgot and ate popcorn, the next night she had a nasty green poop snot-like thing, the grossest thing I've seen come out of her so far.

I've been off dairy, soy, and corn for at least 2 weeks prior to this, the only new one to be eliminated of the "big 4" that is within the past 4 days is gluten.

She has no skin issues, aside from minor irritation around her anus occasionally. She has had congestion issues in the past but those have gotten WAY better since I eliminated soy and corn. The nasal aspirator used to be my best friend, but I stopped using that as much a few weeks ago. I haven't touched it today, for example.

#6 of 15 Old 10-12-2009, 11:27 PM

My Baby Boy is approaching six months and he had mucus starting at around 6 weeks and was a very fussy nurser. He responded really well when I cut out Dairy, soy, wheat, and gluten and has gotten even better since I cut out nuts and eggs. I'm still eating corn products and he's fine. It's so nice to see him be able to nurse peacefully. I hope this helps.
#7 of 15 Old 10-13-2009, 12:13 AM

i saw this on kelly's mom regarding mucus in the stool
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

i also see an naturopathic doctor who specializes in children and mothers, in addition to my pediatrician.
#8 of 15 Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 AM

IMO, formula would be a terrible recommendation. I hope she doesn't make it. Even if it takes a few weeks to work out your diet, it will be worth it. Four days is nowhere near long enough to see a difference. I'd give it *at least* 3-4 weeks, especially since it is really hard to follow an elimination diet accurately (there is so much hidden stuff out there).

I just posted study (link came from kellymom) in another recent thread about an 'allergy to breastmilk' that showed that if nursing mothers took enzymes it could quickly resolve outstanding issues (like blood in stool) in breastfeeding babies. The OP saw improvement in her DD while taking enzymes and was in a similar situation as you.

BTW, there is no way on earth a doctor could look at a stool sample and know it wasn't allergy related (what "cells"?!) I get a little ticked when I hear that a doctor said something like this.

But yes -- keep a highly detailed food journal, every morsel. It will become your best (and worst!) friend.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#9 of 15 Old 10-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Our doctor said my DD2's "folliculitis" wasn't caused by food either. Corn.
Are you sure you're watching for all the "hidden" ingredients that you're already taking out. Corn hides behind soooo many different names and they put it in things you just don't think of (like salt, that always throws people for a loop). Also, have you checked any meds/supplements for ingredients?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the visit to the doctor didn't go as badly as I was fearing.

Basically she just took a dirty diaper to look at under the microscope, and said she found a few "suspect cells" and that they would test it for rotavirus. DD has not had the vaccine yet (we delay some vaxes), so hopefully that will come back negative.

Then we talked briefly about my diet. I told her that I don't eat dairy, and she said that some babies could react to stuff like broccoli, beans, or acidic things, but I don't eat a lot of that stuff. She suggested that I try to get more complete proteins (protein source plus a grain, I'm sure you guys know).

Then she said that as long as the mucus doesn't get worse (i.e. I don't see blood in there, it doesn't become worse as far as mucus goes) then she said not to worry as long as Lily seems fine otherwise and is still gaining well, etc. She made sure I was on a calcium supplement. So I'm not to come back for mucus unless it gets worse somehow.

I think I am going to try the pancreatic enzyme suggestion that serenitii made. I picked some up at Whole Foods today but accidentally got a kind that has stuff like ginger and triphala in it...I've taken triphala before but I am not sure if it is safe for nursing so I think I'm going to go back and get one that is just the enzymes before I start taking it.

Also, I've learned a lot about food additives today! I had been eating a natural brand of potato chips, thinking they were safe, but here I found out that maltodextrin is made from corn!! It is crazy the stuff that is in our food. I will say that I've felt really good the past few days that I've been on the TED diet. The first day I experienced some withdrawal symptoms (massive migraine) but I've just been feeling better and better.

I also wanted to ask--the turkey I'm eating is the store brand ground turkey, which is turkey and "natural flavor." I'm scared that this "flavor" might contain corn or soy or something. How would I even find that out? Any suggestions for a better turkey product? All of the cold cuts I could find had other stuff in them like corn syrup or corn starch...yuck.

I don't think my salt has corn in it...it is natural sea salt w/o iodine or anything. I need to check my prenatal vitamin (rainbow light)....ok I just looked it up and it contains "soy lecithin" as a coating. Any suggestions for an allergen-free prenatal? I should also check my cal/mag supplement but I don't feel like getting up right now!

Thanks for your help everyone. I will keep updating as things progress. It is almost impossible to find stuff on mucus/allergies online so I know the more other people have to read, the better.

#11 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Well, the visit to the doctor didn't go as badly as I was fearing.

Also, I've learned a lot about food additives today! I had been eating a natural brand of potato chips, thinking they were safe, but here I found out that maltodextrin is made from corn!! It is crazy the stuff that is in our food. I will say that I've felt really good the past few days that I've been on the TED diet. The first day I experienced some withdrawal symptoms (massive migraine) but I've just been feeling better and better.

I also wanted to ask--the turkey I'm eating is the store brand ground turkey, which is turkey and "natural flavor." I'm scared that this "flavor" might contain corn or soy or something. How would I even find that out? Any suggestions for a better turkey product? All of the cold cuts I could find had other stuff in them like corn syrup or corn starch...yuck.
That's great that the doctor's visit went better than expected.

Corn is hidden under a ton of names. Dextrose, citric acid, maltodextrin, etc.

We use the Perdue turkey burgers which contain natural flavorings. My dd2 is a big corn intolerance and she does fine with them. She's also got a soy intolerance, though that's milder, but she hasn't reacted to the turkey burgers. If in doubt, call or email the company (I've made a lot of those calls!).

#12 of 15 Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Is it Jennie-O? I called and their ground turkey "natural flavoring" is rosemary. I would call the number on the back of the package to double check.

Quote:
I don't think my salt has corn in it...it is natural sea salt w/o iodine or anything. I need to check my prenatal vitamin (rainbow light)....ok I just looked it up and it contains "soy lecithin" as a coating. Any suggestions for an allergen-free prenatal? I should also check my cal/mag supplement but I don't feel like getting up right now!
Soy lecithin may be ok. Some soy sensitive babies react to that and some don't. I personally didn't do supplements during the TED because of the risk of ingredient reactions, and instead just really concentrated on eating healthy whole foods (and lots of them), then I reintroduced my supplements and watched for reactions, just like I would a food.

My baby's main symptom was mucus in the poop as well. He never had normal EBF poop. Mucus means that something is very irritated in his digestive track, whether from a virus or allergies/sensitivities. Once that irritant is gone, it can still take a long time to see the bowel heal. Your breastmilk has many things in it that help that process. My doc recommended formula when my baby didn't improve on a milk-free diet after 5 days and that was when I too posted here. I was freaking out as I had never bottle-fed before and I didn't want to. The ladies here helped me see that I didn't have to do that, the doctor was misinformed, that I could take steps to make my breastmilk more hypoallergenic and better for my baby than any formula, BUT it would take some time and effort to do so. That is what I have done, and we've had our ups and downs and learning experiences, but we are still breastfeeding and I am so glad! My doctor is shocked that I have stuck to this diet (we are dairy and gluten free) for almost a year. He says most moms won't even do the dairy thing for more than a few months. I think that is why docs just go right to a recommendation of formula w/ allergy babies because not many moms are willing to maintain an ED very long. For me its a no-brainer, I saw my baby sick when I ate this or that, and healthier when I didn't. I had no desire to eat it once I saw the connection. I too felt better on the TED, and its a gift my child has given me to better understand my own body.

I think that kjbrown had a really good idea of starting with eliminating the big 4 (dairy, gluten, soy, and corn) rather than the TED as a nursing mom. The TED isn't too hard IMO, but it can take forever introducing foods and I think I would have got to the bottom of our issues faster with just taking out those 4 for a long time and letting the bowels heal, and then writing down everything else and seeing if there are connections w/ any other foods. If there is just not enough improvement with that, I would take out the other big 4 (eggs, nuts, peanuts, and fish). Whatever you do, make sure you get enough fat! That was essential for me keeping up my strength on a restricted diet. I cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and Spectra Palm Shortening. I eat avocados and olives, and I chose fattier meats, chicken w/ skin, the "lean" ground turkey vs the extra lean, etc. It really helps and I think its essential for milk production as breastmilk is 50% fat and much of that saturated fat. So don't forget the fats.

Good luck - your baby is lucky to have such a great mama!

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#13 of 15 Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 AM

I know no one has posted to this thread in a couple of weeks and I am new to posting at all but I am so frustrated with trying to figure out what is causing mucousy stools in my little 8 week old.

Did cutting out the "big 4" help? My daughter is otherwise happy and a good sleeper as well, but seems very uncomforitable when having a BM and the mucous seems to be getting worse. I am lactose intolerant and have been eating a fairly bland diet mainly with rice and chicken but I have a hard time sticking to anything, not knowing what is making her better or worse. I have a hard time digesting calcium supplements, so cutting out all dairy is difficult. If the lag time can be up to 2 weeks, it seems hard to pin point anything. Also, trying to keep up my own energy is hard when on any elimination diet. I feel like a reasonable, varied diet should be OK.

My doctor suggested 3 days of formula only. This seems like a terrible idea and could only make things worse. I do currently supplement with 2-3 oz of formula/day and am thinking that could actually be causing the problems.

Any thoughts?
#14 of 15 Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Mwebb I am no expert but the formula seems like a bad idea to me. I feel like my poor baby is having problems and at least I can make my milk healthy by being vigilant to help her get the best nutrients.

My background...baby has mucus too and has since around 5-6 weeks. We had her tested and she has quite a few IgG responses. I cut them out about 2 weeks ago but have still been making a few mistakes. I ate some lemon rind over the weekend and she had a huge reaction starting last night.

I am just so sad. Lemon was not 'officially' on her list, it tested .005 less then an official reaction. But I guess .005 is close enough to count for her. I never eat lemon either. I tried a new recipe.

I just came here to vent and saw this thread and needed to post. Thanks for listening.
#15 of 15 Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Kraysmommy- that's too bad about the lemon. Hopefully the symptoms don't last long since it was a small amount. I am assuming that before the lemon you had good results from cutting out certain foods. Also, hopefully the diet you are on isn't too restrictive, I know how hard that can be.

Is IgG testing done by your allergist or is it done through a nutritionist? I think that I considered a similar test for myself since I have food sensitivities but it's expensive and not covered under insurance. Am I thinking about the same test?

I cut out formula supplements for now and she seems better except every once and a while which I am attributing to cheese and chocolate. I have an appointment with an allergist tomorrow. Hoping to have some clarity soon.

I feel your pain!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page