Eczema - eliminate corn? Rice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little back ground info first...
DS is 9 months old. He is BF and has had some fruits/veggies but no grains currently. He has a dairy and soy intolerance. According to skin and RAST tests he is allergic to eggs, peanuts, cats, and dogs. He also had skin and stool reactions when I fed him banana and avocado.

I did an elimination diet (no dairy, soy, gluten, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, chocolate, legumes, tomatoes) and VERY slowly reintroduced possible culprits. I am currently dairy, soy, peanut, egg, and fish free. His stools have been much clearer but he still has patches of eczema.

We confined our cats to one area of our home for 3 months. His skin cleared up except for patches of eczema on his cheeks (it had previously been all over his body). We decided to find new homes for our cats b/c I feared their presence was causing his eczema and I worried that keeping them could cause long term effects, such as asthma.

It's been one month since the cats left and his eczema isn't getting any better. It is bumpy, oozing, and itchy unless I put hydrocortizone and Aquaphor on it every night. I want to stop medicating and figure out the cause.

Two of the things I never fully eliminated were rice and corn. I ate a lot of rice products while on my elimination diet. I feared he had been sensitized to rice. I stopped all rice products for the past two weeks and still the eczema hasn't changed.

My thoughts are that the eczema is from residual cat dander or something in my diet. Thoughts on that? Have I eliminated rice long enough to see change? I think I'll eliminate corn to see if that helps. Any tips on eliminating corn? I hear it's a tough one to eliminate. Any other thoughts? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd guess corn before rice because it's definitely a more common eczema tigger.

On the cats, it usually takes AT LEAST 3 months for all the dander to go away. When my brother moved into his house, the previous owner had cats. They'd been gone for 4 months, and my DH had to go get an inhaler after he'd been there for a half hour.

The corn things off the top of my head: maltodextrin, citric acid, dextrose, I'm having a brain freeze... it's in iodized salt, it's in most confectioners sugar (Trader Joes brand is corn free), it's in baking powder. Make sure to check toothpastes and supplements and meds as well. Somebody must have a link to a list...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 4 Old 10-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My daughter reacts really badly to corn, rice doesn't seem to bother her. I think salicylic acid is the culprit in our case. Her poop will literally burn her skin and it will be melting off of her.
#4 of 4 Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It could still be the cats (it takes a while to get all the cat dander out of a house), or your child could have a bacterial or fungal infection in those stubborn patches of eczema.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page