Sorghum allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9.5 month old is sensitive to wheat, dairy, soy, oats and corn, and I've been trying to add foods back in to my diet (because she is mostly BF), but I'm a bit stumped at the moment. I added in dairy, and she seemed fine for about a week, when she started having horrible diarrhea and waking up in the middle of the night crying for usually about 1 hour. It seems strange that the dairy would take that long to upset her. I tried wheat on the same day that she started getting the diarrhea (before she had it), so it could be the wheat, but I haven't had that in a week now and she still has diarrhea. Now I'm realizing that I have been eating cookies with sorghum in them (I didn't know it was in them) and I had thought before (when we originally did the elimination diet) that sorghum might be a problem, but it seemed so strange to me as I'd never heard of anyone being allergic to sorghum (and it is in fact often used as a substitute for gluten allergies!) Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm really frustrated because now it means that I have to wait for her to get better and start all over again with adding foods back in to my diet, after I thought I was in the clear with dairy! Argh!
#2 of 4 Old 10-31-2009, 07:03 AM

Technically anyone can be sensitive to any food. I do think that Sorghum is in the same family as corn, though that may or may not mean anything. It does take allergens a while (maybe 2-3 weeks) to get completely out of your system though, especially dairy.

What else are in the cookies? Any other foods you're eating that could be upsetting? Nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, etc.), onions, garlic, spicy stuff, cruciferous veggies? I'm finding out my DS is sensitive to things I never suspected now that we finally have enough of the things out of his diet that was bothering him.

I empathize... it is super hard to figure it out. Are you keeping a detailed food journal with every food you eat, ingredients and her symptoms? That will probably be the key to figuring it all out... for DS the reactions sometimes don't start until 2-4 days after he has eaten the food. Basically, whenever the poop comes out is when we see the reaction (his are mostly rash oriented.) The delay makes it even more difficult!

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#3 of 4 Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Please go to the web to: www.naet.com
Read about that and find practice near you. Your life will be changed completey
#4 of 4 Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM

I found for DD1 that certain things she would tolerate at first and after a couple days she would begin reacting to them.  Also, my allergists told me that the window for reaction is 4 days!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page