Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1157 Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
That totally sucks?

And I agree about the flu vaccine. I have a friend whose dd is ana to eggs & she has to get the shot in the allergist's office. The first time she got it they had to break it into several smaller shots to mitigate the reaction. Huh?
Yeah. That totally blew my mind. I'm like REALLY? You would risk an ana reaction in your kid to save yourself the inconvenience of your family feeling like crap for a few days? Now I can understand that some people have a harder decision irt vaccines- for kiddos with immune disorders and such... but seriously. I even posted the "kids with asthma who recieved the flu shot are 3 times more likely to be hospitalized" medical press release that Pat posted a while back, and everyone completely ignored me. They posted about how one hospital had shots available this morning, and everyone should hurry and get there before 8:00am, because it was first come, first serve. Then a later update that unfortunately they didn't have any of the preservative-free shots (which I guess makes them the shots that have 25,000 times the amount of "safe" mercury), but they got them anyway.

It makes me so sad. Why can't people see what we are doing to our children's immune systems?! One person even commented that this flu wasn't really affecting the elderly because they had exposure to the 1918 version. REALLY. Well wtf do you think is going to happen when the next, MORE deadly version of the flu rolls through and NOBODY has natural immunity to it?!?

Sorry... flu vaccine rant over.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#302 of 1157 Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 PM

CS - I am so very, very sorry about you losing sunflower seeds, and that your allergist won't test for them. We no longer do sunflower seeds, either, and that "and/or" statement on the ingredient lists is such a pisser (can I say that here?).
And, uurgh about the vaccine issue. DS is IgE to egg, and when I looked into the protocol (because DH is pro-vaccine and pro-Western med), my stomach just lurched. Like who decides how much is a "little" reaction and how do we know it isn't much bigger on the inside!?! And, if they fail THAT, they can still desensitize them to the vaccine. If desensitization worked so well, why aren't the allergists desensitizing our children to the peanuts, eggs, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and all the other d@mn foods they can't eat. Desensitize for a d@mn vaccine, but not for anything nutritious and life-giving. rrrrugh.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#303 of 1157 Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well... . Apparently sunflower is now IgE for us as well. Which, just like the coconut, we had been eating for months and months. I stopped the sunflower/pumpkin seeds a few weeks back when I suspected they were causing blood in the stool, and the blood stopped immediately. And then stupidly, I bought some Kettle chips, forgetting that we were no longer doing sunflower (they have safflower and/or sunflower oil) and we've been munching on them over the past few days. Opened a new bag today, and just ate a big handful (ok... DD had a handful. I had about 8 handfuls. ) And, within minutes, full blown hives on her face.
Does that mean pumpkin seeds might still be safe? Sorry about the sunflower, that really sucks I wish so badly I could figure some (key) part of it out for you

chlobo, working on an answer to the intermittent anxiety, but i think it'll have to wait till after dinner/bedtime

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#304 of 1157 Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Does that mean pumpkin seeds might still be safe? Sorry about the sunflower, that really sucks I wish so badly I could figure some (key) part of it out for you
I wish you could too! jk- you have enough on your own plate right now!

Not sure about the pumpkin seeds... haven't been brave enough to try them. Although after 3-4 days into our winter squash trial, DD went from loving them to not eating them at all (including the pumpkin), so I have a feeling those are probably out too.

#305 of 1157 Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 PM

haven't seen MY cat again yet. left some food for her in the outside room though and some is gone today... she'll come back and still be the happy, lovey kitty she was.
did groceries and pretty much nothing else... we were supposed to go to the city but apparently my list of things wasn't big enough or something bc dh decided "its not worth it".

eta and i FINALLY have palm shortening

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#306 of 1157 Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
haven't seen MY cat again yet. left some food for her in the outside room though and some is gone today... she'll come back and still be the happy, lovey kitty she was.
did groceries and pretty much nothing else... we were supposed to go to the city but apparently my list of things wasn't big enough or something bc dh decided "its not worth it".

eta and i FINALLY have palm shortening
Jr, you better watch out b/c I have a feeling your MDC girls are gonna kick your DH's tail when they get there. Not worth it my foot.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#307 of 1157 Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Ok ladies- tell me what you think:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2#post14641162

#308 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
What would cause intermittent weird symptoms? I def. don't feel like this all the time. And I'd really like to never feel like this
What I'm trying to do (for me) is figure out what the triggers are, then see what they could be depleting. For example, methyl groups (folate) are used to fight viruses, mag is depleted with stress, etc. I'm reading about the wonders of niacin right now, and how it's used to process folate (so do I need extra with my extra folate?) and the requirement is significantly higher (1.5-2x) while pg, AND how it's used to recharge antioxidants, which I'm guessing are at the root of my low serotonin issues - draining melatonin.

What other clues do you have to work with? Does insomnia go along with it? Paranoia? Is it mostly triggered by fighting a bug? GI disturbances? Is there anything that's pretty much guaranteed to trigger it?

#309 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 AM

Ok... not the sunflower. Now I'm thinking potato. (Although it could easily by the sunflower AND the potato.)

All rash was gone by dinner... we sat down, DD dug into her bowl of mashed potatoes (leftovers- this is the 3rd day we've been eating this same batch), and the blotches start to reappear on her face. Within 15 minutes, the hives are back, and she starts scratching her legs. More apis, more clay, more C. Epsom salt bath.... all the hives are running together and she's scratching madly. (Although the bath did help some of them fade a bit. If it hadn't, next step would have been benadryl...) I am seriously about to lose my shit over here. So now I'm still suspecting the Natural Calm, because those screamy symptoms started the day after NC and day before the potatoes... but now I'm also suspecting sunflower AND potato are IgE. WhoTF is IgE to potato?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

eta: HOW, after TWO YEARS of playing Nancy Drew, do I still not have a CLUE what DD is allergic to?!

#310 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Ok... not the sunflower. Now I'm thinking potato. (Although it could easily by the sunflower AND the potato.)

eta: HOW, after TWO YEARS of playing Nancy Drew, do I still not have a CLUE what DD is allergic to?!
and more
That seriously sucks

Off to read up on the conditions necessary to form IgE antibodies

#311 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 01:42 AM

CS

I just caught my cat eating in the outside room but she heard me going down the outside stairs, so she peeked out and took off when she saw me. I refilled her bowl and put it back. Still hoping she'll eventually warm up and come "home" properly.
I know I said she was a stupid fleabag but I do care about her, regardless of how flea-ey she is. Come home, Qwerty.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#312 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 AM

CS, do you happen to have any tests of things like total IgE or interferon gamma or other random immune system numbers?

ETA: and how's your/her vit D?

JR, sending friendly cat vibes

#313 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 02:05 AM

Hey CS. I've been reading about histamines (raw milk has histamines, and DS needed some different supps to help him handle the milk histamines). Anyhow, ran across this link:

"Examples of food with little histamine, but with the ability of stimulating the body’s release of histamine: Cocoa / chocolate, tomatoes, strawberries, citrus fruits, pineapple, kiwi, mango, buckwheat, crabs and shellfish, nuts, sunflower seeds, vinegar, and mustard.

The symptoms of histamine intolerance can be: Stomach pain, diarrhoea or constipation, intestinal gas, headache / migraine, runny nose, itchy eyes, various rashes, itchiness, tiredness, nausea, dizziness, concentration problems, and low blood pressure. They can start after a few minutes or after a few hours and there can come in varying degrees. Their frequency and severity varies from day to day, from person to person."

So... your total frustration at not being able to figure out what she's reacting to after two years really spoke to me. I'm wondering if that means it's not the foods themselves (at least in every case), so much as reacting to the underlying food chemicals (and the stupidly hard to predict bucket type reactions they trigger)? It sounds like histamines can cause what might look like an IgE reaction (rash within a few minutes), but is really just an attack of histamines? (I know IgE reactions release histamines too, but it's antibodies to the food triggering the histamines, rather than the food high in histamines or triggering histamine release directly).

I even found an abstract here that suggests potato lectins are another food that can cause cells to release histamines (even though potato isn't high in histamines). Also suggests that potato can make other food reactions worse? (I know nothing about lectins...).

Not sure how you'd test this - have you ever tried giving her methyl b12 when she gets a rash? I know that really helps with histamine overload, but probably wouldn't do much for a *true* IgE reaction... (guessing here!!!). Are any of the foods on the list above safe for your DD? (Off to go see if you have an about me thread where I can get more backstory...).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#314 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 AM

mamafish- I wish that it were only histamine reactions. But each of these reactions fits her IgE reaction type. And after the last big hive reaction (to coconut) we did IgE testing, and it did come back positive. Which is still perplexing, after eating it for so long... That's why I'm nervous about new foods now. She obviously can tolerate even her IgE foods (well, some of them) up to a certain amount before she reacts. So I'm afraid that I'm actually feeding her more IgE allergens without knowing it. if that made any sense... my brain has completely shut down this evening.

Quote:
CS, do you happen to have any tests of things like total IgE or interferon gamma or other random immune system numbers?

ETA: and how's your/her vit D?

JR, sending friendly cat vibes
Nope. Just CBC stuff, and her eos are always high (not surprising), and this time also her monocytes. Our blood draw is Monday- what should I ask for?

Her vitamin D is just over 30, which isn't great... but considering that she was at 11 last test (6 months ago?), we're doing pretty good.

#315 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
I even found an abstract here that suggests potato lectins are another food that can cause cells to release histamines (even though potato isn't high in histamines). Also suggests that potato can make other food reactions worse? (I know nothing about lectins...).
Ok- definitely going to come back and read this tomorrow. Brain is mush right now.

#316 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
mamafish- I wish that it were only histamine reactions. But each of these reactions fits her IgE reaction type. And after the last big hive reaction (to coconut) we did IgE testing, and it did come back positive. Which is still perplexing, after eating it for so long... That's why I'm nervous about new foods now. She obviously can tolerate even her IgE foods (well, some of them) up to a certain amount before she reacts. So I'm afraid that I'm actually feeding her more IgE allergens without knowing it. if that made any sense... my brain has completely shut down this evening.
RAST test for the IgE? (Following a train of thought, I'll let you know if it goes anywhere!!!).

#317 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
RAST test for the IgE? (Following a train of thought, I'll let you know if it goes anywhere!!!).
Yep.

#318 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CS

Got an odd question, maybe not helpful. Is your lamb from New Zealand? Or is it raised in the US? Y'all couldn't be low on selenium, could you? Or getting low, over time? Any in any supps? The Pacific NW is low IIRC (lost all my bookmarks, need to see if I can find the selenium soil map), but New Zealand is low too.

Found it!
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/a...thwestern.html

I take it back, the newer map shows nice levels in all the counties near the coast (not so much for eastern Washington though).

ETA: Holy shi!t! If you click on a county (how did I NEVER do this before when I first saw this map???), it brings you to a page with LOTS of minerals listed, for example:

Average concentrations of elements in King County, Washington
(Calculated from cells in the geochemical grid plotting in this area.)
Element Symbol Mean Std. dev. Minimum Maximum
AluminumAl (wt%)7.8170.7176.66710.360
ArsenicAs (ppm)32.78237.8034.369180.289
CalciumCa (wt%)1.7650.4000.7962.917
CopperCu (ppm)41.61518.86917.222126.688
IronFe (wt%)3.7440.7162.4236.220
MercuryHg (ppm)0.2740.3560.0202.899
MagnesiumMg (wt%)1.1110.4930.5144.965
ManganeseMn (ppm)831.430163.822450.4721594.750
SodiumNa (wt%)1.8330.2341.2022.434
PhosphorusP (wt%)0.1030.0400.0310.221
LeadPb (ppm)13.9636.0532.00034.590
SeleniumSe (ppm)0.3850.2290.1001.211
TitaniumTi (wt%)0.4400.0690.2520.872
ZincZn (ppm)84.97617.73150.144167.821

Probably doesn't help the immediate problem, but it's cool.
#319 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Hi mamas, I havn't been around the allergy thread in a while, was lurking a bit
We are still dealing with some allergies with ds (now 6) but he is definately doing so much better. He is also eating more and a little less picky.

This thread is great!!!!
#320 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 02:34 PM

DH gave me a 'new" computer last night bc the one I had doesn't play the game with play together properly. Trying to figure out how to move all my bookmarks.
Saw my cat again. She was sitting on the doorstep to the outside room, cleaning her paws. She stayed there while I was calling her and talking and went down the stairs. She ran away as soon as I took a step closer to her though. Duh. Stop trying to move closer. Let her come to you, JR. I have to refill her food again. I am *certain* it's her now.

#321 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
CS

Got an odd question, maybe not helpful. Is your lamb from New Zealand? Or is it raised in the US? Y'all couldn't be low on selenium, could you? Or getting low, over time? Any in any supps? The Pacific NW is low IIRC (lost all my bookmarks, need to see if I can find the selenium soil map), but New Zealand is low too.
Nope- it's local (well, OR.) No clue about the selenium... I'm sure it's possible.

I am starting to get a little stressed here. I have no idea what to cook for breakfast. I just attempted to make waffles with rice flour instead of buckwheat... and the battle and waffle were the most disgusting things I've ever seen. We'll call that a waffle FAIL. So I'm hungry, and can't think of a thing to make. We ran out of ground lamb, so I can't even fall back on having a burger. DD is munching on the one piece of waffle that actually made it out of the waffle iron, but it's not going to hold her for long.

HELP!!

#322 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I am starting to get a little stressed here. I have no idea what to cook for breakfast. I just attempted to make waffles with rice flour instead of buckwheat... and the battle and waffle were the most disgusting things I've ever seen. We'll call that a waffle FAIL. So I'm hungry, and can't think of a thing to make. We ran out of ground lamb, so I can't even fall back on having a burger. DD is munching on the one piece of waffle that actually made it out of the waffle iron, but it's not going to hold her for long.

HELP!!
What do you have in the house to work with? Can you make rice pudding of sorts? Any dinner leftovers?

Sounds like you're making progress with the cat, JR!

#323 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
What do you have in the house to work with? Can you make rice pudding of sorts? Any dinner leftovers?

Sounds like you're making progress with the cat, JR!
No leftovers... we're kind of short on everything atm. Going to the farmer's market today to pick up some produce.

How do you make rice pudding? Off to google...

#324 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM

So... my rice pudding would be pretty much rice, water, sugar. Doesn't sound very tasty to me.

I cannot take these reaction days. DD is SCREAMING at me, throwing her toys, being a monster. And I am stressed the F out because I have no idea what to feed us anymore, so I especially can't deal with her tantrums.

#325 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM

What about cream of rice, CS? Just break up some rice in your blender then cook it on the stove, whisking. I believe the broken rice : water ratio is 1:4... 1/2 cup needs 2 cups water

#326 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM

I wonder how blender batter would work out with just rice and no acid medium.
Also, zucchini patties may be a breakfast option?

#327 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM

And... a new hive on DD's stomach after eating the piece of rice waffle.

How do I make zucchini patties?

#328 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Nope- it's local (well, OR.) No clue about the selenium... I'm sure it's possible.

HELP!!
Awww

OR is very low in selenium - my raw milk source supp selenium in their cows because otherwise they miscarry, the grass around here is so low in selenium. So Tanya might be on to something there...

#329 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 04:01 PM

You posted that right after I was thinking "Maybe it is the rice." CS
Shred zucchini, add a little minced garlic, some salt and pepper. Use a little tapioca to help it hold together as it cooks. Maybe throw in a shredded carrot if you want. Fry in a little oil. I made them the other day, using sweet rice flour and some onions.

#330 of 1157 Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
You posted that right after I was thinking "Maybe it is the rice." CS
Shred zucchini, add a little minced garlic, some salt and pepper. Use a little tapioca to help it hold together as it cooks. Maybe throw in a shredded carrot if you want. Fry in a little oil. I made them the other day, using sweet rice flour and some onions.
Huh. Sounds pretty tasty. Why am I so completely un-creative in the kitchen?

We didn't have any rice yesterday, so it definitely wasn't the cause of the hives last night.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page