Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
That's wicked cool.

Can someone please cattle prod me into making my ROLFING appointment? Not sure what's holding me up.
DO IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Sorry, but I have to tell you...
My first experience with ROLF was the game DH and I play together. The creator/coder is named Rolf... Since then, I've seen wallets with the name Rolf on them and now ROLFing has shown up here. Maybe that's what I need. I need me some ROLF in my life, that's why it's showing up everywhere.

ETA: Not to mention my uncle who passed most recently was named Ralph and DH thought his name was Rolf...
That's funny. Whenever I see ROLFing, I think of FOLFing. Definitely not the same kind of fun.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#422 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
DO IT.

That's funny. Whenever I see ROLFing, I think of FOLFing. Definitely not the same kind of fun.
frisbee golf?
the apartment block i lived in when ds1 was ds2's age, where the 85 year old landlord's mom grew a garden and everyone participated and benefited from it, was about 5 blocks from a folf course.

eta: I told you, I don't need anything!
I'm supposed to be cleaning today, instead I'm going through my blog posts and fixing labels on them. So if my house is a mess when you guys get here... it's ENTIRELY my fault.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#423 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think I've learned a new tidbit. DS had a stomach bug a couple days ago (Saturday? brain mush) and vomited 3 times in the morning, and then just seemed a bit sickly but not too bad for the rest of the day. Since then, I've been seeing calcium regulation/low mag symptoms, which I haven't seen in ages. He's been clenching his fists and yesterday he had a nosebleed in the middle of the day, which is very atypical. So extra mag and K2, skip the calcium for a couple days. Don't know if this is just him, but for sensitive kiddos, consider extra mag after a stomach bug.

In other news, I've been drinking WAY too much soda (my caffeine kick for my adrenals) but I've been trending toward happier and more energetic and interactive with the kids. I've been wanting a bit of a break from pills/chelating for myself for a few weeks, to just focus on and enjoy our life, and I think it's working. Be nice to get everything right all at once--happy with life, content, eating better (too many brownie/sweets cravings lately), no more soda--but if I have to choose, I think this is the right choice for now. It'll pass soon enough.
#424 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Carren... just do it. And may your practitioner be as awesome as mine. He's taken me in such a good direction... I wish I could send my DH and FIL and Dad to him- but I'll just have to settle for my Mom in the Spring. He's changing my body and the way I feel inside it. It's cool stuff.

Taslyn has been spending Mondays with MIL so I can rolf, etc. And she's come home with low grade rashes/hives everytime. Well this mornings rash is pretty extensive and more medium grade. I'm annoyed because I pack food/drinks but MIL feeds her other stuff.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#425 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
In other news, I've been drinking WAY too much soda (my caffeine kick for my adrenals) but I've been trending toward happier and more energetic and interactive with the kids. I've been wanting a bit of a break from pills/chelating for myself for a few weeks, to just focus on and enjoy our life, and I think it's working. Be nice to get everything right all at once--happy with life, content, eating better (too many brownie/sweets cravings lately), no more soda--but if I have to choose, I think this is the right choice for now. It'll pass soon enough.
yeah, I'm just coming out of something like that... or trying to... i've (mostly) kicked the caffeine back to the curb again but still struggling with sweets. my gran always said i inherited my affi's icelandic sweet tooth (the old timers drank their coffee through sugar cubes and replaced the cube as soon as it was gone- usually going through 5-6 cubes for 1 cup of coffee) but sheesh.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#426 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Carren... just do it. And may your practitioner be as awesome as mine. He's taken me in such a good direction... I wish I could send my DH and FIL and Dad to him- but I'll just have to settle for my Mom in the Spring. He's changing my body and the way I feel inside it. It's cool stuff.

Taslyn has been spending Mondays with MIL so I can rolf, etc. And she's come home with low grade rashes/hives everytime. Well this mornings rash is pretty extensive and more medium grade. I'm annoyed because I pack food/drinks but MIL feeds her other stuff.
not cool.
sorry Lisa.

#427 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
At what point can you (me, someone, anyone) say that it's not food that their kid is reacting to, and start to look elsewhere? What does it take to get to that point? When can you say food is a variable but not the major variable? How do you figure out if minute cc is a big issue? And how do you do it and still stay sane?
I keep thinking about this. I know there's something more. Or else why would DS seemingly "outgrow" the intolerance for about a year, and then start reacting again. I thought maybe it was because each time I just took out the food, but never did anything about the healing. And now that we're doing different supplements, and bone broth, and probiotics, and CST, I feel like we're making progress. But then I wonder, if he does get the foods back, how long will it last? There's something else at work here, but darned if I can figure it out (and I know none of the doctors can). And I'm not sane. Obviously.

Quote:
Do I detect essence of biochemical explanation? Dd majorly overreacts, but I've always linked it to her being abused by the dentist. I wonder if there's something more going on that's keeping her from 'getting over it' - it's been a LONG time since she's been in a remotely similar situation, but she still freaks at the nurses at the doctor's office. She's never even had a scary experience at the doctor's. Kathy and JR, any obvious triggering events for your boys?
I was thinking about this because a couple years DS went to the environmental medicine guy and was pricked every 2 weeks, 30 times (10 foods, 3x) each visit) and he was fine with it. He was fine getting shots and stuff. Until the last year mostly. Because he was fine both blood draws for the ALCAT test. That was right before we pulled out tons of food (at the time he was off dairy, soy, potato, green beans, peas). But DD2 has no such problems. She doesn't cry when she gets a shot. We had to go to two labs for the ALCAT blood draw, and many sticks before they got blood out of her, and not a tear the whole time. They tried both arms a bunch of times, and finally got it out of the back of her hand. So though they both have food intolerances, there's obviously something issue for one and not the other.

DD1 just got 2 fillings, no novacaine, and not a peep out of her today. The dentist was amazed at the difference between the kids.

Since the 2x/day Mg isn't helping the poop issue of DS, think I should up him to 3x/day? He still only goes about once every 4 days. The osteo thought the TruFlora was going to help that but it hasn't so far.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#428 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I keep thinking about this. I know there's something more. Or else why would DS seemingly "outgrow" the intolerance for about a year, and then start reacting again. I thought maybe it was because each time I just took out the food, but never did anything about the healing. And now that we're doing different supplements, and bone broth, and probiotics, and CST, I feel like we're making progress. But then I wonder, if he does get the foods back, how long will it last? There's something else at work here, but darned if I can figure it out (and I know none of the doctors can). And I'm not sane. Obviously.

Heavy metals like lead do weird, weird things in people.

Since the 2x/day Mg isn't helping the poop issue of DS, think I should up him to 3x/day? He still only goes about once every 4 days. The osteo thought the TruFlora was going to help that but it hasn't so far.
I'd try 3x/day. We're still (slowly) experimenting with DH with the mag and blood pressure, but 2x/day helped when 1x/day did absolutely nothing. Just starting 3x/day, want to stick with it for a full week before deciding if it's doing anything.
#429 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 PM

If we list all the different facets of the allergy picture...

specific foods
neurotransmitter imbalances
hormonal imbalances
toxic accumulation
detox pathways

toxic exposures
nutrient deficiencies
genetic variation
gut bacteria

And obviously they all affect each other in a giant tangled web. What we're trying to do (me at least, if not you ) is identify any issue and use it as a clue to figure out the whole picture. Some of those are easier to see than others. We have various tests for foods, for toxins, for gut bacteria, for genetics. We can figure out detox pathways based on symptoms. That leaves neurotransmitter and hormonal stuff. Are there any good comprehensive tests or lists of tests for those?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#430 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
appointment with counsellor tomorrow.
nervous.
will be thinking about you
sending feel brave vibes

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#431 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 PM

another company with gf chickpea miso

#432 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:

specific foods
hormonal imbalances
toxic accumulation
detox pathways

toxic exposures
nutrient deficiencies
genetic variation
gut bacteria

And obviously they all affect each other in a giant tangled web. What we're trying to do (me at least, if not you ) is identify any issue and use it as a clue to figure out the whole picture. Some of those are easier to see than others. We have various tests for foods, for toxins, for gut bacteria, for genetics. We can figure out detox pathways based on symptoms. That leaves neurotransmitter and hormonal stuff. Are there any good comprehensive tests or lists of tests for those?
I would love to know. I'm fairly certain that I'm dealing with serious hormonal imbalances since pregnancy... if only I knew how to figure out what they were and how to fix them.

#433 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Dammit! That was my sneaky way of finding out before I bought you a subscription. Now I have to think of something else fun to bring you.

Yeah- we'll definitely travel by Saturday, but I'm still hoping for Friday.
too cute - that's what i thought you were doing.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#434 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
too cute - that's what i thought you were doing.
hehe- I must be losing my sneaky touch.

Hey- I just saw your post on the iodine thread- that is AMAZING!!!

#435 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Lost my multi-quotes.

Good luck to JR for tomorrow.

Kathy, definitely up the mag - and back on B6 if you haven't - with his high antimony, he needs b6 to get into the cells where it can help him poop (my theory with pooping and mag for high antimony kids is that the intestinal cells don't have enough mag to contract properly - so it's not a bowel tolerance thing with the mag, it's getting enough mag into the cells so they can contract/relax properly).

As we've added back in dairy, it's been fascinating to watch DS' supps needs change quite dramatically. I'm feeling pretty good dairy's flying (we're past 6 weeks now with no ongoing symptoms), but we've changed up his mag, B6, b12, and C to rebalance what he seems to need now (partly because he's getting tons more calcium than he was, and that's shifting lots of other stuff around). So for me, I figure it's going to be detective work longterm to figure out what he needs to stay in balance. We're getting lots of practice with the chelation rounds, but I think any sickness, teething, new foods, diet shifts, etc also impact what is needed. And as his total metals load drops, that will impact as well.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#436 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
hehe- I must be losing my sneaky touch.

FWIW, I was clueless.

ITA.

#437 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post

I have two people to choose from. As usual, I can't decide. Is there a supplement for that?

A pox on your MIL. Maybe take pictures of the aftermath and show her? Think that might stop her?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#438 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Holy posts, Batman! We're hopping today!

#439 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I think I've learned a new tidbit. DS had a stomach bug a couple days ago (Saturday? brain mush) and vomited 3 times in the morning, and then just seemed a bit sickly but not too bad for the rest of the day. Since then, I've been seeing calcium regulation/low mag symptoms, which I haven't seen in ages. He's been clenching his fists and yesterday he had a nosebleed in the middle of the day, which is very atypical. So extra mag and K2, skip the calcium for a couple days. Don't know if this is just him, but for sensitive kiddos, consider extra mag after a stomach bug.

My DD clenches her teeth. Is there a supplement for that? Wonder if its related to fist clenching. She says she likes to do it. huh?

Stick with the break but cut out the soda. It's crappy for you.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#440 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
My DD clenches her teeth. Is there a supplement for that? Wonder if its related to fist clenching. She says she likes to do it. huh?
Mag. And B6 for high antimony folks to help mag get used.

:nana

Sorry, couldn't resist singing my theme song, but it also happens to be true .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#441 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

specific foods
hormonal imbalances
toxic accumulation
detox pathways

toxic exposures
nutrient deficiencies
genetic variation
gut bacteria

I had the one by NeuroScience (spit and urine test). That's what showed my high progesteron, low cortisol, low epinephrine, low seratonin, and high GABA. BUT I was on Lyrica at least at the time (that might have been when the doctor was trying me on an anti-depressant for the pain as well). So not sure how accurate it is. My kids have not had that test, just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Kathy, definitely up the mag - and back on B6 if you haven't - with his high antimony, he needs b6 to get into the cells where it can help him poop (my theory with pooping and mag for high antimony kids is that the intestinal cells don't have enough mag to contract properly - so it's not a bowel tolerance thing with the mag, it's getting enough mag into the cells so they can contract/relax properly).
You're so funny. I just gave him a B6 about a half hour ago. We must be on the same wavelength.

I am going to order a B-complex though instead of just the B6, if I can find one he can have. And I'm going to see if I can find Molybdenum. Good idea? Anything else when I do my order?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#442 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
Waluso, do you have mold in your house?
I don't think so. Our house was completely gutted and renovated 3-4 years ago so I would think they would have found mold if there was a problem (unless it started after the renovations). I think I will try upping folate and see if that helps.

Quote:
appointment with counsellor tomorrow.
nervous.
Remember that it can take some time to see results. DH was disappointed when he realized everything wasn't going to be fixed in a few months. We have been going for 10 months and still have a lot of work to do, but we have been together a long time and developed some really bad communication habits (or lack thereof).

Quote:
I just read this too (congrats M2M!) and have a question about B12. My dr says the body can only absorb so much B12 (I think she said no more than 1mg). She said everything above that is just excreted and why put something in your body you can't use. I take it others disagree. So is there no upper limit? I tested low for B12 so I am supping (a shot every month from my dr, plus 5mg pill daily) but wondering if I should up it significantly.

DD is not having a good day. After falling this morning and hitting her head, her nanny shut her finger in a door. She's ok except a big cut on her finger. She took a 3 hour nap and woke up crying and wouldn't stop. So I broke down and gave her tylenol. I was afraid her head or finger hurt and the crying was just making it worse. I feel so guilty for the tylenol - I know it's not good for her - but I hate seeing her in pain. It does seem to have helped.
#443 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 PM

supper prep time.

#444 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM

I get our Mo from Kirkmans. They've got a bunch of b's as well.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#445 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I get our Mo from Kirkmans. They've got a bunch of b's as well.
Are they everything free?

#446 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM

BodyBio makes a Mo that's Molybdenum 75 mcg
Vital Nutrients makes a B-complex with High B-6:
1 Capsule contains
Thiamine HCL (B1) 50 mg
Riboflavin (B2) 20 mg
Riboflavin 5 Phosphate 5 mg,
Niacinamide (B3) 100 mg
Pyridoxide HCL (B6) 250 mg
Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate 15 mg
Folic Acid 400 mcg
Hydroxycobalamin 200 mcg
Biotin 200 mcg
Calcium Pantothenate (B5) 75 mg
OTHER: Silica
What do you think of that one? The other Biotin I found had potato starch in it, so I've taken it but not him.

#447 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Posting from my bb, can't quote.
Most of kirkmans stuff is hypoallergenic. You'll have to see exactly what is in what. I'm pretty sure it is on their site. Spectrum supplements sells kirkman stuff (but not all). They have better shipping imo.

Anyone have a good cod free fish oil you recomend?

our family is <>< and :
#448 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM

Oh and we use carlson's biotin. 1000mcg pills. They are tiny. I crush them with a pill crusher.

our family is <>< and :
#449 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Posting from my bb, can't quote.
Most of kirkmans stuff is hypoallergenic. You'll have to see exactly what is in what. I'm pretty sure it is on their site. Spectrum supplements sells kirkman stuff (but not all). They have better shipping imo.

Anyone have a good cod free fish oil you recomend?
I looked at it. I wonder what the plant cellulose is... any chance it's corn?

#450 of 1157 Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:

specific foods
hormonal imbalances
toxic accumulation
detox pathways

toxic exposures
nutrient deficiencies
genetic variation
gut bacteria

This is the place I am at. I want to know WTH is going on. Is it a metabolic disorder, nutrient deficiencies, methyl cycle defects, yeast, bad bacteria, come on! I need to know what is going on. An OAT seems to be the way I am leaning, although I don't know that it has any info on hormones. What would the neurotransmitter info give you to work with? I am all for the props, used 5-htp and stuff but where can you go with info to fix that that doesn't come back to everything else?
I know what foods dd reacts to (gluten, dairy, soy, processed corn, and eggs). I know her thyroid is working better. I think DH may have celiac (rash that looks like DH, waiting on enterolab results). I know I have always had anxiety/depression issues. My mom's side of the family all have sacral dimples. I know I have mercury (my amalgams, my mom's amalgams, eating tons of Great Lakes' fish growing up), lead (growing up in old houses w/remodeling going on), and high pesticide/fertilizer exposure (owned a landscape business for years). But really, I need a clue here. I am sick of looking at the bags under my and dd's eyes. We spend wayyyy too much $ on food to look like this

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page