November Chat! (no, I'm not creative) - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I know I have always had anxiety/depression issues. My mom's side of the family all have sacral dimples. I know I have mercury (my amalgams, my mom's amalgams, eating tons of Great Lakes' fish growing up), lead (growing up in old houses w/remodeling going on), and high pesticide/fertilizer exposure (owned a landscape business for years). But really, I need a clue here. I am sick of looking at the bags under my and dd's eyes. We spend wayyyy too much $ on food to look like this
Food folate. Or 5-MTHF.

Pat

I have a blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Holy posts, Batman! We're hopping today!
No joke! I'm pages behind this morning (in addition to getting pages behind yesterday too). Yikes!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
That's awesome. I can remember doind stuff like that as a family growing up. One yr a fam we knew had a fire and we all picked some of our gifts to give. Other years, we all pulled from our savings to buy gifts for families. Such good memories. (so glad my parents did stuff like that!)
I think it's good for my kids, especially when they want to be focused on "I want, I want" to think about what someone else might want. One of the kids is the same age as G, so she had fun picking out things for the other child. Sometimes we go to the mall and pick the ornaments from the tree, that have a name and a list, but since joining the Jr. Women's Club, we have a needy family right in town, so it sort of makes it more tangible for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ok, who here is Erin. 'fess up.

I don't want to hear about anyone with their Christmas shopping done already. You guys suck. I was really proud of myself because I actually bought some Christmas cards the other day. Last year I didn't even get them sent out... But we haven't even begun thinking about Christmas over here, except that DP and I want to buy ourselves (each other?) a Wii.
I haven't figured out cards yet. Last year I made them... can't figure out whether to make or buy this year. PM me with your addresses, and I'll send you cards. Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza/etc. We should all do it!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Let's see. Dd's can be a meat-a-holic too. Her favorite is fat bites and anything on the bone Extra protein goes down the ammonia pathway, which can cause stimming if it's not detoxed well. Also, some gut bacteria can increase ammonia dramatically. We were eating a TON of meat and my ammonia levels were normal, so there's not necessarily an issue with lots of meat. Detoxing ammonia uses up BH4, so might also result in low serotonin/dopamine (aspie-like obsessions with one topic, and no way to distract me with anything else is how that showed up with me).

She could be needing the amino acids, or the B6, or the B12, or the iron, or... Does she like it rare?
She doesn't seem to be picky about it. We usually have ground lamb for lunch, and a steak (or leg in the crockpot) for dinner. She loves burgers, but she also LOVES chewing on the bones. The marrow is her absolute favorite part, and she loves the fat too. I just when I watch DP giving her these huge chunks of fat and marrow. bleck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Dunno, but DS horks lamb. Any meat, really. My parents fed him crab. He ate like $10 worth. I can't afford to feed him crab, LOL!

I think he's a guy who does really well on a high protein diet (totally opposite of me, it makes me feel totally sluggish). But, also, when his digestion was at its worst, ground lamb seemed to be the thing he digested best. I'm wondering if it was just the most easily accessible nutrients his body had - ground, so pretty broken down already, lots of fat, and it was pastured lamb, so lots of nutrients that he couldn't get from any other food (he wasn't doing well with carbs, sugars, or sals, at that point). He was really low in zinc too, and lamb is a good source of zinc. Something like that maybe going on with your DD, CS? DS still likes it, but he doesn't eat as much at a time any more - he used to kind of desperation eat it.

And I think it's time to move DS off brainchild stuff to Thorne minerals. So anyone want bottles of brainchild mag, zinc, minerals, or intestimend? PM me your addy if you do. I bought a lot right before he suddenly started swallowing capsules .
I would love to try any of the brainchild stuff for DD if you want to bring it along this weekend!

Yeah- maybe it's just the nutrients that she's needing- it's 100% grassfed lamb, so it's definitely got a lot of good stuff in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie-fleur View Post
Something I've been wondering about??

Magnesium/Chocolate/Epsom salts...

DS1 HATES chocolate. It is his LEAST favorite food! (I don't fight him too much, lol it just makes me laugh). Also, while he loves Epsom salt baths, they make him very hyper (instead of calm) and I believe they cause stimmy behaviors (and he isn't usually stimmy).

Is this a mag thing or a sulfur thing?
DD always get really hyper after baths too. But I've never figured out if it the epsom salt or the bath itself, since DP often forgets to put the salts in. I will have to pay more attention...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
She doesn't seem to be picky about it. We usually have ground lamb for lunch, and a steak (or leg in the crockpot) for dinner. She loves burgers, but she also LOVES chewing on the bones. The marrow is her absolute favorite part, and she loves the fat too. I just when I watch DP giving her these huge chunks of fat and marrow. bleck.
I had to laugh at this. I don't know if you remember that I'm a marrow lover (and now that I'm older, I like fat too) but when I was little, you couldn't get me to eat fat for love nor money. My oldest brother wouldn't eat marrow but he LOVED fat. So whenever there was something with fat on it, my brother got my fat and whenever there was something with marrow, he gave it to me.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I had to laugh at this. I don't know if you remember that I'm a marrow lover (and now that I'm older, I like fat too) but when I was little, you couldn't get me to eat fat for love nor money. My oldest brother wouldn't eat marrow but he LOVED fat. So whenever there was something with fat on it, my brother got my fat and whenever there was something with marrow, he gave it to me.
Aww- that's sweet. Worked out pretty well! Works out well here too... DD get all the fat and marrow. Unless DP is eating with us.. then he eats some too. But if we splurge and get rib chops (not very often since they're like $13/lb.), then the fat is all mine- mwahahaha. Lamb rib fat is delicious!!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
We got some grassfed beef bones from the farm share this weekend & DH was making bone broth. It said to roast the bones in Joy so that's what he did. They smelled so good & I just sucked the marrow out of a couple before he made the stock. mmm.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
I mix in lovely stuff like milk thistle, so mine are just various shades of pukey . And I only mix up a two day supply at a time, because I have a lot of stuff mixed together (b complex, active b6, ascorbate and ascorbic acid forms of c, two forms of mag, and milk thistle). I assume some of it would destabilize over time mixed together - any idea on that?
I figure there are b complexes that are pretty stable, and i'm doing layers so they're actually pretty separate. I make 24 days worth at a time, so it's not like they're sitting around that long...
Quote:
About B12...

Someone upthread mentioned anxiety. Just throwing this out there. I "decided" that B12 must be a good supp. to take (after buying for DH and deciding that since many are deficient I should give it a shot...) and I started taking B12 sublingual. I had anxiety issues where I had none previously! I don't know if that is common but I remember clearly that my mood and feeling of well being were linked to taking B12. I stopped supplementing and good moods returned. Must be related somehow to serotonin. I'm sure you guys know the science behind it.
I wonder if the B12 is 'stealing' folate for the methyl cycle so it's not available for the serotonin/purine job? Or maybe you're stirring up some junk with the methyl cycle and so using up other nutrients (I think my low serotonin symptoms have to do with high oxidative stress using up melatonin)
Quote:

DS1 HATES chocolate. It is his LEAST favorite food! (I don't fight him too much, lol it just makes me laugh). Also, while he loves Epsom salt baths, they make him very hyper (instead of calm) and I believe they cause stimmy behaviors (and he isn't usually stimmy).

When I was little, I did NOT like chocolate. You could convince me to eat milk chocolate, maybe. Before dd was born, I was still wanting to only use half the chips for a batch of cookies. Now, the flavor of chocolate changes for me, depending at least in part on my magnesium status, and if I dissolve mag citrate (not natural calm) in water and let it sit, the sour goes away, and it tastes like essence of chocolate to me. Magnesium as a supp made zero difference to me until I started addressing some other deficiencies. I *think* folate was one of the big ones, but now mag is a major supp for me.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
We got some grassfed beef bones from the farm share this weekend & DH was making bone broth. It said to roast the bones in Joy so that's what he did. They smelled so good & I just sucked the marrow out of a couple before he made the stock. mmm.

roast the bones in Joy? like.. dish soap??

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I totally read it that way too. I'm assuming you mean the emotion, not the dish soap, right chlobo?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 PM

totally waiting for the Joy clarification over here...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Joy of Cooking said to roast the bones before doing the broth.

ETA: However, I did eat the bones with "joy" (the emotion) before making the broth. Marrow was yummy.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I assumed the Joy of Cooking.

I am SO behind, the only thing I remember, waluso, you mentioned 5mg of B12, that's 5,000 mcg of B12. I'm only taking 2,000. You're getting a lot--if you're improving with shots and sublingual, I'd keep doing that (and hand-slap to me if someone already answered, the thread's just moving so fast!). Yikes.

eta: cross-post with chlobo (will email back, email is swamped, argh).
Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
About B12...

Someone upthread mentioned anxiety. Just throwing this out there. I "decided" that B12 must be a good supp. to take (after buying for DH and deciding that since many are deficient I should give it a shot...) and I started taking B12 sublingual. I had anxiety issues where I had none previously! I don't know if that is common but I remember clearly that my mood and feeling of well being were linked to taking B12. I stopped supplementing and good moods returned. Must be related somehow to serotonin. I'm sure you guys know the science behind it.

DS1 does NOT like meat. I struggle to get him to eat protein of any source. As a toddler it was easier because we used soy milk (which he drank like a fish before we knew better! ) Now he doesn't like eggs, fish, chicken, beans, lentils and rice milk doesn't really help us out! He likes beef and that's about it but it is tough to do steak all day long, lol. Otherwise, Mamafish9, DS1 sounds like how you've describe your little guy--he has issues with metals and sals.
Was it methyl b12 you were taking? It makes DH anxious - he's an overmethylator, and pretty sensitive to methylating supps, they mess him up fast.

My DD doesn't like meat at all either. I get protein into her via things like pumpkin pie filling (made with eggs and safe milk - can you do hemp, it's higher in protein, or coconut milk for the good fats). She loves beans though, and she can do dairy, so it's a lot easier.

Quote:

Dunno. DS has never been able to tolerate ANY chocolate, even me eating it. I always figured it was the caffeine - he does fine with sulfur foods.

Quote:
I would love to try any of the brainchild stuff for DD if you want to bring it along this weekend!
OK, I'll bring it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
totally waiting for the Joy clarification over here...
Yeah, no kidding... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I am SO behind, the only thing I remember, waluso, you mentioned 5mg of B12, that's 5,000 mcg of B12. I'm only taking 2,000. You're getting a lot--if you're improving with shots and sublingual, I'd keep doing that (and hand-slap to me if someone already answered, the thread's just moving so fast!). Yikes.
Speed reading practice ... I cut my teeth in MDC on the Portland mamas thread in FYT, so this is nothing!! Helps that I work at my computer and seek frequent distraction, however.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Joy of Cooking said to roast the bones before doing the broth.

ETA: However, I did eat the bones with "joy" (the emotion) before making the broth. Marrow was yummy.

thank you

Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Whenever we have pork, DD2 wants the fat that I've cut off the other kids' pork chops. Then she'll say, "more fat please!" The rest of us all cringe. Ick.

Quote:
I thought Joy soap too! That's too funny.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 PM

No time to post comments. Sorry you are chatty!

But I have a question. My 5 year old had an allergic reaction to something this morning. Bright red cheeks. I checked her torso and didn't see anything but then I noticed that her knees were red. I asked them if they itched and she said yes. Also her elbows (inside and outside) and wrists and the palms of her hands. She hasn't had a reaction like this that I noticed (it is rather subtle) in quite a while but for a time got it all the time. Any ideas for the cause? This was an hour or so after breakfast and the red cheeks came on fairly suddenly while we were laying on her bed talking quietly (not exertion).

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 11-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Thought I'd pop in. Food allergy newbie, well that is not true. More of ... being real with myself and learning to eat better for my poor body (got my allergy labs back yesterday).

I did really well going dairy-free for 8 months after we found out DS' failure to thrive was the casein coming through my breastmilk. So the little booger grew out of the allergy, but my sensitivity has gotten worse. And now I get to add a wheat allergy too.

So doing research, stockpiling recipes and rethinking favorite snacks and convenience meals. Thankfully we already do the meal plan thing and the pantry is on the bare side... so eating that down while I "make" a plan will be easy. Since I am wheat & dairy free so will the rest them (at least at home).

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
No time to post comments. Sorry you are chatty!

But I have a question. My 5 year old had an allergic reaction to something this morning. Bright red cheeks. I checked her torso and didn't see anything but then I noticed that her knees were red. I asked them if they itched and she said yes. Also her elbows (inside and outside) and wrists and the palms of her hands. She hasn't had a reaction like this that I noticed (it is rather subtle) in quite a while but for a time got it all the time. Any ideas for the cause? This was an hour or so after breakfast and the red cheeks came on fairly suddenly while we were laying on her bed talking quietly (not exertion).
Sals or histamines (both bucket reactions)? What did you have for breakfast (most likely culprit, but what either of you ate yesterday might have filled up her bucket to close to full).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 PM

phew, this thread moves fast.....

Ithink someone mentioned something about a connection between metals and yeast somewhere back on the thread..I would love it if someone could explain this to me.

my 7 yr old ds also got hives yesterday and today on his hands and feet and his eyelids are a little swollen and I ma trying to figure it out. both times he had been outside and came running inside itching so my first thought is fire ant bites , although I couldn't see any and usually you would be able to see the bite. It has rained and while they are out playing and bike riding etc; they might take their crocs off or get in puddles and crocs don't offer protection so if a neighbor had sprayed their lawn and it rained maybe that could be it......I just don't think of food right now since as far as I know he hasn't eaten anything new yesterday and today and while he had corn and soy allergy and is gluten intolerent he has never reacted this bad to anything except pinapple and I find it strange the hives on hands and feet...
any ideas mamas?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Who knows what it was. For breakfast she had cereal (rice, brown rice syrup, salt), goat milk, turkey sausage (sheltons), goat kefir.

BUT she has been sick and eating just blueberries and yogurs/kefir for the past 5 days. Generally she doesn't get nearly that much dairy. She also hasn't been having any of her supplements and just restarted them last night. SO it could be one of them I guess.

SO if her bucket got full and that caused a histamine reaction will b-12 help with that? What else? Querticin? She's seeming to have seasonal allergies this fall too for the first time. I have some methyl b-12. How can I tell what kind of methelator she is?

I think my younger dd has slow phase 1 and phase 2 liver detox. I give them both liver life (supposed to support both phase 1 and 2).

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post
Thought I'd pop in. Food allergy newbie, well that is not true. More of ... being real with myself and learning to eat better for my poor body (got my allergy labs back yesterday).

I did really well going dairy-free for 8 months after we found out DS' failure to thrive was the casein coming through my breastmilk. So the little booger grew out of the allergy, but my sensitivity has gotten worse. And now I get to add a wheat allergy too.

So doing research, stockpiling recipes and rethinking favorite snacks and convenience meals. Thankfully we already do the meal plan thing and the pantry is on the bare side... so eating that down while I "make" a plan will be easy. Since I am wheat & dairy free so will the rest them (at least at home).
Are they allergies or intolerances?
Where in Southeastern CT are you? There's only a couple of us CT people that I know of.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Just getting ready for double-date night here. Had to let you all know, our first counseling session went okay. We go to see her again next Thursday.
Looking forward to Friday.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Just getting ready for double-date night here. Had to let you all know, our first counseling session went okay. We go to see her again next Thursday.
Looking forward to Friday.

I'm about to attempt making some lamb jerky. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:11 PM

I've been trying to figure out a recipe so that I could use my water chestnut flour (I was thinking it was chestnut flour when I bought it; oops). Finally made fried chicken tonight. It was sooooooo good. I like that crispy crust. My spearmint leaves candy is ... interesting... taste right, texture... not sure. I didn't want it to gummy like a gummy worm, so I used half gelatin and half tapioca starch. And no food coloring, so a weird color. Maybe it'll set up better by tomorrow....

Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
My spearmint leaves candy is ... interesting... taste right, texture... not sure. I didn't want it to gummy like a gummy worm, so I used half gelatin and half tapioca starch. And no food coloring, so a weird color. Maybe it'll set up better by tomorrow....
If you try again, I'd go for all gelatin, but less of it. Just increase the liquid:gelatin ratio a bit.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post

I think someone mentioned something about a connection between metals and yeast somewhere back on the thread..I would love it if someone could explain this to me.
Candida binds mercury to keep it from poisoning us. Killing off candida releases mercury into our blood circulation to be redeposited into our brain and other organs.

I'll bet the hives are from run-off from the adjacent lawns. Try some Apis homeopathic and vit C.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out a recipe so that I could use my water chestnut flour (I was thinking it was chestnut flour when I bought it; oops). Finally made fried chicken tonight. It was sooooooo good. I like that crispy crust. My spearmint leaves candy is ... interesting... taste right, texture... not sure. I didn't want it to gummy like a gummy worm, so I used half gelatin and half tapioca starch. And no food coloring, so a weird color. Maybe it'll set up better by tomorrow....
Quote:
If you try again, I'd go for all gelatin, but less of it. Just increase the liquid:gelatin ratio a bit.
The real ones have starch, not gelatin, that's why I wanted to do half and half. Actually after sitting in the fridge for a few hours, it's perfect. I cut it, then put all the sides in crystalized sugar. I just need someone else who has had real Spearmint Leaves test them to see if they're close. The taste is exactly right. I wanted DD2 to try it but she doesn't like them to begin with... where are some guinea pigs....

Old 11-12-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
The real ones have starch, not gelatin, that's why I wanted to do half and half. Actually after sitting in the fridge for a few hours, it's perfect. I cut it, then put all the sides in crystalized sugar. I just need someone else who has had real Spearmint Leaves test them to see if they're close. The taste is exactly right. I wanted DD2 to try it but she doesn't like them to begin with... where are some guinea pigs....
Cool! I guess I don't really know what spearmint leaves are Once they're good, I'd recommend putting them in an airtight container - the gummies definitely got dried out/gummier (in a good way) the longer they were exposed to air.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
B12 is ideally absorbed using intrinsic factor (which is activated by HCl). If there's no intrinsic factor, then you can get a tiny percentage by passive diffusion. And if you're doing sublinguals, then you get some in your mouth first (it diffuses better straight into the bloodstream than through the gut wall), then some if you have intrinsic factor floating around (like right after a meal) and then if you're taking a high enough dose (1mg or more, I think) you'll get a fair bit by diffusion. I don't know how that plays into actual absorption numbers, but it seems like you'd need to take a LOT to absorb 1mg. In my thinking lately, what's the harm in taking more if you're not absorbing it anyway? So spreading it out helps absorb more sublingually, high doses help absorb more in the gut, and taking with/after a meal helps absorb more the 'right' way.

I hope dd feels better, ouch!

The OAT is primarily metabolic stuff, yeah? I should add metabolic issues to my list.

Any thoughts on why? Cause b12 is seriously like a sugar pill for me, even when I was taking it everyday and my levels were outside the range high.

I've got a capsule stuffer for me that I've been using to make custom b complexes. It involves splitting capsules of some B's, biting others in half (too many crumbs wasted from cutting) and then topping off with acerola. They come out looking like tiny cigarettes with the color stripes Dd LOVES to help!

A shot of half natural calm half juice has been working beautifully to get mag into dd lately. If the water's not hot enough, it doesn't dissolve as well and is still fizzy and yucky-sour.

I didn't get all my biotin in yesterday (my adrenal supp of choice right now) and today I've been getting what's likely the start of braxton hicks like I had the entire third trimester with dd. I'm not even 22 weeks yet. I'm wondering/hoping if this is my new early adrenal warning symptom? I haven't been getting other adrenal stuff, but BH cxns can be related to stress...
b12! That's what I've been missing--ran out and forgot!

DD actually reacts to natural calm, at least, she did. And biotin=adrenals. No wonder I feel so great today. My sis and I got our kids pics taken today and they are amazing! BUT! The field we shot o few in was in grass and it wasn't till I picked and smelled it that I realized it is wheat! AACK.
WhoMe, I've been acting dyslexic lately--what do I take for that? I'm making lots of inverted typos...just hopped on after checking my book order--it'll be here Thurs!!! Fast!
I have to tell you, tho, that I was at DH's office last night to surf mdc and it was late when I left, and dark. I walked quickly to my car and as I turned to open the door, a male voice said something behind me! I jumped back and screamed a very ungraceful scream and ran back to the office door. I heard someone laugh and say, "I think I scared her hahaha" as two guys walked by on the sidewalk. He was talking to the other guy, not attacking me, lol. But still! I had such an adrenaline surge that I couldn't sleep til midnight!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

User Tag List