November Chat! (no, I'm not creative) - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Shannon, DS has quite different sals reactions depending on whether it's b6 or mag that got low - the kind you're getting now is more mag related (happens when we're on zeolite now), the red cheeks kind (which we haven't seen in quite a while) was low b6. I'd just take it easy on sals for a few days and see if she rebalances? (The chewing could be from the low mag too, if that's what is going on).
Very interesting. One of my theories was that the multivite was throwing something out of balance. The part that doesn't fit is that she's had low mag symptoms forever, and this isn't what they usually look like. Especially since we've been more reliable about getting mag into her lately than ever before. She has the random peeing like this sporadically, it's not completely unusual for her at all. I've been supping (myself) with B6 for a year and a half now, and that's one that can actually store in the body. I almost wonder if this is low *B6* for us, and the multi was just not balanced for her so it burned through the B6 fastest? Just throwing ideas around...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#242 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jacqueline: I'm sorry you have to deal with all that.
Shannon: Have grapes been fine before? That's the reaction my DD2 has with apple juice (and apples, but more so with the juice). She'd pee all the time (day and night) and wanted to drink all the time (day and night).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#243 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Shannon: Have grapes been fine before? That's the reaction my DD2 has with apple juice (and apples, but more so with the juice). She'd pee all the time (day and night) and wanted to drink all the time (day and night).
Grapes are pretty much fine. There's no change in peeing frequency/amount, just the location/warning. The confusing factor is that we've moo'd and moo'd, and still nothing. never had a decent baseline, so I can't say for certain one way or another about *anything* really. We just gave her extra mag. She's still going strong.

(The red text is courtesy of dh. It had me so I left it...)

#244 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Grapes are pretty much fine. There's no change in peeing frequency/amount, just the location/warning. The confusing factor is that we've moo'd and moo'd, and still nothing. never had a decent baseline, so I can't say for certain one way or another about *anything* really. We just gave her extra mag. She's still going strong.

(The red text is courtesy of dh. It had me so I left it...)

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#245 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I'm actually intending to call a counselor. I even know which counselor. I just haven't looked up her number yet. I'll do that tonight and call her tomorrow.Thanks for the encouragement and reminder.
That's awesome, glad you have a resource to reach out to. I was helped very much in my life by a good counselor (a Native psychologist in Toronto, I suspect you would like him!), and I think everyone gets to places sometimes where an outside perspective really matters.

Quote:
Very interesting. One of my theories was that the multivite was throwing something out of balance. The part that doesn't fit is that she's had low mag symptoms forever, and this isn't what they usually look like. Especially since we've been more reliable about getting mag into her lately than ever before. She has the random peeing like this sporadically, it's not completely unusual for her at all. I've been supping (myself) with B6 for a year and a half now, and that's one that can actually store in the body. I almost wonder if this is low *B6* for us, and the multi was just not balanced for her so it burned through the B6 fastest? Just throwing ideas around...
Hmmm - does the multi have more calcium than she's usually been taking? Even a little calcium seriously messes with DS' mag symptoms. But the b6 theory would make sense too - I know both DH and DS are super sensitive to the right balance of Bs... Given how happy she was after the b6 popsicle the other day, it could well be that's what she's run low in... And b6 is necessary for some melatonin precursors, so it really messes with sleep here as well.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#246 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Hmmm - does the multi have more calcium than she's usually been taking? Even a little calcium seriously messes with DS' mag symptoms. But the b6 theory would make sense too - I know both DH and DS are super sensitive to the right balance of Bs... Given how happy she was after the b6 popsicle the other day, it could well be that's what she's run low in... And b6 is necessary for some melatonin precursors, so it really messes with sleep here as well.
That's more votes against low mag - we haven't been as good about calcium in the last couple days, so her mag really should be pretty high, and she hasn't shown a clear response to CA before anyway. But to throw a curve ball into the whole thing, the b6 popsicles are really multivite popsicles, and looking at them, they're pretty darn high in B6. Actually, how she's acting right now is pretty close to how she was before we started supplementing again. The two that fixed it all were mag and folate. We haven't been doing much folate. The multi has folic acid form. Hhhmmmmmm...

I really want a big map of all this stuff, or maybe a spreadsheet. Or a matrix. There's enough overlap among individuals, and enough biochem, that there's got to be a pattern to it all. I'm guessing that all the variation comes from which nutrient(s) is(are) the limiting factor, by how much, and what you're throwing at the system to stress it.

And I suspect this may be my engineering training finally bubbling to the top. I want a huge chalkboard or something. Maybe a giant digital chalkboard. Now that would be cool. Hmmm... Sounds like something I would have designed for class... Yes. My mind is officially functioning like it did 4 years ago, and like it hasn't quite done in the mean time. WHAT exactly is going on in there? Is this a step forward or a step back?

#247 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
That's awesome, glad you have a resource to reach out to. I was helped very much in my life by a good counselor (a Native psychologist in Toronto, I suspect you would like him!), and I think everyone gets to places sometimes where an outside perspective really matters.
hopefully she's good and takes us bc she's our only in town option.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#248 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
And I suspect this may be my engineering training finally bubbling to the top. I want a huge chalkboard or something. Maybe a giant digital chalkboard. Now that would be cool. Hmmm... Sounds like something I would have designed for class... Yes. My mind is officially functioning like it did 4 years ago, and like it hasn't quite done in the mean time. WHAT exactly is going on in there? Is this a step forward or a step back?
They have SmartBoards at the kids' schools. Write on them, it appears on your laptop, and vice versa.... the kids (and teachers) love it.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#249 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
They have SmartBoards at the kids' schools. Write on them, it appears on your laptop, and vice versa.... the kids (and teachers) love it.
Cool! Wait, vice versa!? You can make things appear on the board!? I want!

#250 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
hopefully she's good and takes us bc she's our only in town option.
How did you find her? I mean, how does one find a counselor, anyway?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#251 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 AM

Okay, I'm sold, it's sals. Dd just climbed on top of the table.

#252 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Yikes. Fun. We're having a major reaction over here today too- lots of yelling, hitting, throwing oneself on the floor (or on the ground, in a mud puddle, in the middle of the road, you take your pick.. ) I'm almost positive it's the Natural Calm that I've been using the last 2 nights. Didn't take any tonight.. keeping fingers crossed that tomorrow is better.

#253 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
How did you find her? I mean, how does one find a counselor, anyway?
this is the only one listed in the phone book or online whom i've not interviewed in town.... the only one listed online in town as doing family therapy..

eta: usually you find the good ones through word of mouth but i don't know anyone here still really to be saying "Hey. Know a good therapist?"

#254 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Yikes. Fun. We're having a major reaction over here today too- lots of yelling, hitting, throwing oneself on the floor (or on the ground, in a mud puddle, in the middle of the road, you take your pick.. ) I'm almost positive it's the Natural Calm that I've been using the last 2 nights. Didn't take any tonight.. keeping fingers crossed that tomorrow is better.
In the middle of the road - you're getting out of the house. That's better than I can say over here. I try to go *anywhere* and it's met with screaming and tears. Sorry about the tantrums though If it is the natural calm, I wonder if it's something in it, or if it's the mag itself causing you to detox or something?

#255 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
In the middle of the road - you're getting out of the house. That's better than I can say over here. I try to go *anywhere* and it's met with screaming and tears. Sorry about the tantrums though If it is the natural calm, I wonder if it's something in it, or if it's the mag itself causing you to detox or something?
Yeah... we made it out of the house and the 20 feet to the road... stepped in a couple mud puddles, I said- "hold on, let me get the camera!"... melt down.

It's the natural calm itself, I'm pretty sure. She didn't seem to react to my other mag supps that I've taken. I was suspicious when I first bought it (couple weeks ago) and hadn't taken it since then until this week.

#256 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 AM

Well, I'm off to sleep on the floor of DD's room.... (we're transitioning her to her toddler bed. and I'm fighting with DP. seemed like a good time to start the transition. ) On the plus side, she's doing great with the transition and sleeping through the night!

#257 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
LOL... Yeah.

Quote:
I have a 16oz bottle of brainchild mag you can try if you want, I can bring it to JR's. With DS swallowing caps now, that's the easier way to get it into him. Also zinc if anyone wants to try that. They have xanthan gum, not sure if it's corn or not, but I think that's the only potentially reactive ingredient.

Quote:
Well, I'm off to sleep on the floor of DD's room.... (we're transitioning her to her toddler bed. and I'm fighting with DP. seemed like a good time to start the transition. ) On the plus side, she's doing great with the transition and sleeping through the night!
for sleeping through the night, for you sleeping on the floor.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#258 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Cool! Wait, vice versa!? You can make things appear on the board!? I want!
I'm pretty sure. I can ask DD1 when she gets home from school. She's more likely to know how it works than her younger brother!

Well DS's lip isn't getting any worse, and there's no other reactions, so either the clay stopped whatever it was somehow, or it was a mild enough reaction that it was just contact.

#259 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Is table climbing ever normal behavior for a precocious toddler?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#260 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Is table climbing ever normal behavior for a precocious toddler?
I think it's normal for every toddler (at least occasionally), but I think the ones here take it to new extremes. And combined with the other stuff, that's what tells the tale.

I wonder if parents across the country would be willing to make that trade-off--the promise that their toddler would never climb on inappropriate furniture again if they learn about salicylates and cut out high sals foods?
#261 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM

Anybody remember the price of pine nuts at Costco? It's $19.99 but for what size bag? There's a 32oz bag from Azar nut company on Amazon.com for $33 and I'm trying to figure out if it's a good deal since we eat so many of them...

#262 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Check this out from www.reflux.org:

Here's a quote from it:
"Possibly one of the most important and most overlooked causes of reflux is food allergy. Whether in infants or older children, studies indicate the importance of food allergies as a causal factor for reflux. Physicians who focus on food allergies and intolerances frequently see the successful resolution of reflux in their patients. Unfortunately, this has had little impact on the standard of practice for treating reflux. "

I underlined/bolded the last sentence. It just seems ridiculous to me that it has no bearing on the treatment!! Most doctors don't even mention it as a possible cause.

#263 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I think it's normal for every toddler (at least occasionally), but I think the ones here take it to new extremes. And combined with the other stuff, that's what tells the tale.

I wonder if parents across the country would be willing to make that trade-off--the promise that their toddler would never climb on inappropriate furniture again if they learn about salicylates and cut out high sals foods?
If SALS were the only thing I had to cut out I'd do it in a heartbeat.

HOwever, in our case, just shoot me now.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#264 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM

Ugh. Our reaction is continuing today... I'm starting to think that it's not the natural calm, because I haven't taken that since Wednesday night.

#265 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Ugh. Our reaction is continuing today... I'm starting to think that it's not the natural calm, because I haven't taken that since Wednesday night.
DS1 is guaranteed to be reacting for a minimum of 3 days after exposure to food dyes and minimum 4 for wheat (including vinegar).
I think it could still be the Natural Calm.

#266 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Anybody remember the price of pine nuts at Costco? It's $19.99 but for what size bag? There's a 32oz bag from Azar nut company on Amazon.com for $33 and I'm trying to figure out if it's a good deal since we eat so many of them...
1.5 lbs
Amazon's not worth it.

#267 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Then it's a good thing I'm going to Costco today...

#268 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Then it's a good thing I'm going to Costco today...
yeah, i searched around online for a better price too.
speaking of pine nuts, i learned yesterday that Manganese is used in the citric cycle (used to make the active form of niacin for co-enzyme q-10 and ATP production, among others). So I wonder if that's our deal.

#269 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM

on zeolite

#270 of 1157 Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Ok ladies. Going way off topic here but I could use some good vibes.

I feel crappy today and not in a flu-like way. Thing is I really can't describe how crappy I feel. And all I can think is that I have undiagnosed chronic lyme disease. And it scares the crap out of me. So please say a little prayer or whatever that I start to feel better soon. My mind is in a dark place right now. And I've got two parties to pull off this weekend.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page