mthfr? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello fellow stuck in this crappy place sufferers,

i have noticed some posts related to the mthfr gene. i used to call this the mother f&$#er gene s... i have two copies of the c677T gene mutation. homocysteine levels have NEVER been elevated so i dont think is a prob for me.

i am surprised to see any mention of it on an allergy forum. how is mthfr related to anything w/our babies allergies/intolerances?

I am trying to understand the scope of my problem, and I think it's not going to be very fun. I did the enterolabs test for my son just to be sure he's not going to get celiacs, but the results showed he had TWO (damn!) genes for potential gluten sensitivity. ARGHHH. So, I guess this means no peanut butter sandwiches in his future? Or, is that being too extreme? I mean just because you have a gene doesn't mean you're going to be gluten sensitive - i.e. 80% of us have at least one gene for gluten sensitivity so it means very little...as a pasta lover, i have NEVER had a problem w/gluten/wheat.

But, now, what is up w/this MTHFR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It just means he can't have a peanut butter sandwich with gluten-containing bread. My DS had a peanut butter sandwich today and he's gluten free. I'm finding almost anything is possible to replicate.... (except for cheese).

Do a search in this forum for MTHFR and you'll find a bunch of threads.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I'm finding almost anything is possible to replicate.... (except for cheese).
Don't give up! You can do it!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#4 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 AM

my DH has MTHFR

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#5 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARA777 View Post
Hello fellow stuck in this crappy place sufferers,

i have noticed some posts related to the mthfr gene. i used to call this the mother f&$#er gene s... i have two copies of the c677T gene mutation. homocysteine levels have NEVER been elevated so i dont think is a prob for me.

i am surprised to see any mention of it on an allergy forum. how is mthfr related to anything w/our babies allergies/intolerances?

I am trying to understand the scope of my problem, and I think it's not going to be very fun. I did the enterolabs test for my son just to be sure he's not going to get celiacs, but the results showed he had TWO (damn!) genes for potential gluten sensitivity. ARGHHH. So, I guess this means no peanut butter sandwiches in his future? Or, is that being too extreme? I mean just because you have a gene doesn't mean you're going to be gluten sensitive - i.e. 80% of us have at least one gene for gluten sensitivity so it means very little...as a pasta lover, i have NEVER had a problem w/gluten/wheat.

But, now, what is up w/this MTHFR?
Neither me, nor DH, nor DS have the gene for celiacs but we all have two genes for potential gluten sensitivity. Neither me nor DH are sensitive to gluten but DS is (at least he is right now.) The gene only predisposes you to sensitivity and I suppose, like every other tolerance the possibility to outgrow it exists. Use symptoms as a guide not the genetic test. One of the genes that is associated with gluten sensitivity that I have is also very strongly associated with Narcolepsy (like 90% of narcoleptics have it) but I don't have narcolepsy and in fact, can function on very little sleep without getting tired. One gene is not a reliable indicator, especially for gluten sensitivity - a very large percentage of the population carry the gluten sensitive genes but are not gluten sensitive. Again, it is all about how you feel while eating it and a trial without it is always a good idea.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#6 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 PM

The issue some of us are running into is that our food sensitivities are related to our detox pathways, and with 2 copies of one of the MTHFR genes, some of those pathways are slow in you.

http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/mthfr.php

This describes the MTHFR issue in terms of detoxification. If you're a person who actually needs 800mcg of folate (and probably not folic acid), well, if your diet has been at all typical of the US diet in any period of your life, you've probably fallen far, far short of 800mcg of folate. Most folks in the general population don't even consume the 400mcg they need (guilty ).

The kids and I (as far as I know, we haven't tested, but looking at family history and the intensity of our health issues) don't have MTHFR issues, but I do see DS's food intolerances get better or worse based on our his detoxification is going. It's not total toxic load (we have long-term heavy metal detoxification issues), it's how his liver is able to deal with the current, circulating toxins. Other folks here have seen significant improvements by supplementing some of the nutrients that these chemical pathways need.

Here's a discussion of liver function wrt detoxification....
http://tuberose.com/Liver_Detoxification.html

The methylation discussion, in particular, is relevant because methylation needs folate, and if you need 2x the folate of the person down the street, then your methylation has likely been impaired for quite a while.

ETA: Also based on family history and symptoms, we don't have celiac, but we definitely need to avoid gluten. For DD (and likely DH) theirs is just a basic gluten intolerance, it messed with their digestion and has lots of subtle impacts (sleep, bedwetting, enlarged tonsils, normal stuff like that) while DS and I need to avoid it due our heavy metals issues. Gluten is problematic for so many reasons, it's weird stuff! And I used to think it was just a tasty bread.
#7 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Serenitii - Is that for Serenity?

That clears things up for me. Whew. Well, I'm not sure if my L.O. really reacts to gluten or not, but enterolabs said that the Dr there recommends avoiding gluten until a baby is 3 years old when there are genes that could predispose a baby to gluten sensitivity. Sheeeesh. I watch all these other moms with their babies eating crackers and Gerber jarred crap, and I feel a huge twinge of ENVY. Then, I console myself by telling myself that my L.O. is cuter - ha ha ha. Sigh.
#8 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Holy MTHFR! Are you people chemistry majors or something?!

I went to that link and didn't understand much of it, but I got to thinking that maybe mine has a salicylate sensitivity because during my pregnancy I had to take a daily aspirin.

I'm sorry to hear about your heavy metals probs - how did that happen? Amalgams?

I just changed an ugly diaper - when my best friend says ebf babes poops smell like popcorn, i feel like sending her one of my L.O.'s diapers....

Thank you for the insight Tanya - the more I read & hear from you folks, the more I'm realizing that this ...... SUCKS!!!!!
#9 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah, amalgams are my issue. It's been building for a few generations now, one reason I'm pretty sure I've got the basic MTHFR gene--seems like we would be more messed up than we are.

whoMe, a user here, is the one who put the page together. Searching her old posts may be helpful, or better yet, just search for old threads she started, lots of interesting MTHFR discussion.

In a way all this does suck, especially on the bad days. But the thing is, I think that just by figuring out a few personal health quirks, we can each make huge strides in avoiding all sorts of nasty, insidious health problems. DH's family runs to high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, stuff like that. But his family is not at all susceptible to heavy metals--good to know. I think that if I figure out a few things, we can totally avoid all that junk for him. Anyway, that's been the thread that I hold onto when I'm tired out (been working on this more than 2 years now, seeing good progress, just not done yet).
#10 of 13 Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 AM

MTHFR, salicylates and adrenals to start.

Here: http://nwhealthcare.net/index.php?id=40

http://www.mindmeister.com/12721370

This: http://www.renewashoe.com/medical/

And this: http://www.mindmeister.com/12694596

There are some 40 chronic diseases associated with the MTHFR gene polymorphism and 40-60% of the North American population is affected.

Pat

I have a blog.
#11 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Try Daiyr

#12 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I'm finding almost anything is possible to replicate.... (except for cheese).
Don't give up! You can do it!!!

Try Daiyr Cheese. It melts and these no dairy or gluten in it! The mozz kinda has a margarine like taste but is great on homemade pizza. I havent tried the cheddar yet buthave only heard good things about it!

#13 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 PM

Thank you for this thread. I have MTHFR  but issue right now is my DD that have a mild ezcema /psoriasis. Nothing did work. After read this I started to supplement with Folic Acid  and she is getting better every day.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page