A safe meat to start with? Turkey?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi-
I know that anyone can react to anything, but I'm looking to introduce a meat to my LO. He's almost one and so far doesn't eat anything but Neocate. (He reacts to everything so far, but I haven't tried turkey or lamb) He didn't test positive for any meats on the prick test (dairy and eggs though) but he tested positive for 20 foods (including meats) on the patch test. It was about 4 months ago and I know this one isn't as accurate. Plus, his skin was SO sensitive then.

I was going to start with lamb, but seeing how Thanksgiving was coming up, I thought of trying turkey. I'm just curious what all of your experiences were with meats...did you have success with turkey with extremely allergic babies? Lamb? Did you find another meat to be better? He's very allergic to eggs, so I want to avoid chicken. Not sure if that means I should avoid all poultry or not.

Thanks
Emily
#2 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ANY food can cause ANY symptom (I'm going to get bumper stickers made). What may be right for one child, may not be right for another. My DS can't have turkey or chicken. My DD2 can't have beef. One of them reacts mildly to salmon, the other to pork. Honestly, if you've had the patch test, and he reacted to any of those, I'd pick a different meat, preferably something you haven't had before (less likely to cause a reaction). Lamb is "supposed" to be less allergenic, but again, ANY food....

That being said, I am trialing my DS on turkey for Thanksgiving. He had a moderate intolerance to it when he was tested 17 months ago and hasn't had it since. We have done many healing things since then besides avoiding the trigger foods. So I'm hopeful.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM

Fingers crossed for you Emily. How about wild meat? That way you know the animal wasn't grain fed (with a leaky gut and possible corn/gluten contamination)? I'll happily share our moose with you if you want to give it a whirl...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#4 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Ooh- I would definitely go for Lisa's moose first!!

We can only do lamb here. Not because DD is necessarily allergic to all other meats, but it's the only one we can find that is 100% grass fed (except beef, which she IS allergic to.) Chicken and turkey are low on the allergen scale, but they are usually (always?) fed or supplemented with feed containing corn and soy.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Alright- the moose it is. You're sure you don't mind sparing a little? Thanks for offering, let's talk in the next couple days....
Emily
#6 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Exciting stuff! Go Sam!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 PM

My DS is allergic to eggs and chicken ,but can tolerate organic turkey. It must be minimally processed and additive free....he reacts to the preservatives in the other turkeys. He also does well on organic lamb in small amounts. Most total elimination diets recommend you start with those. Course, as someone else said...anything can cause a reaction!!

If he reacted to them when tested, you might want to hold off on them all together for a while longer. Others that I have been able to find easily is buffalo meat....could always try something like that too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page