No Soy Homemade Tempeh? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there,
I've seen how to make your own tempeh and would like to do that. I love tempeh and think DS would like it as well and I'd like some meat alternatives for him since he's allergic to some antibiotics and various meats. I'm not a fan of tofu. I'm going more for the texture and taste, some sort of veggie cake I"m thinking. I'm not going for the b 12 I give him a multivitamin to cover our bases.

DS is allergic to soy, gluten, wheat, rye, buckwheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, pork, turkey, garlic, mustard, cabbage, cauliflower, oranges, cantaloupe, watermelon, celery, spinach, cucumbers & raspberries.

So I was wondering if I could make it out of beans or lentils w/the tempeh starter pack or vinegar. Could I add pureed kale or something?

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforbes View Post
Hey there,
I've seen how to make your own tempeh and would like to do that. I love tempeh and think DS would like it as well and I'd like some meat alternatives for him since he's allergic to some antibiotics and various meats. I'm not a fan of tofu. I'm going more for the texture and taste, some sort of veggie cake I"m thinking. I'm not going for the b 12 I give him a multivitamin to cover our bases.

DS is allergic to soy, gluten, wheat, rye, buckwheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, pork, turkey, garlic, mustard, cabbage, cauliflower, oranges, cantaloupe, watermelon, celery, spinach, cucumbers & raspberries.

So I was wondering if I could make it out of beans or lentils w/the tempeh starter pack or vinegar. Could I add pureed kale or something?
Are you wanting to culture it? I have no experience with making tempeh, but there's a yahoo group, microbial nutrition, which might be able to help you out.

Good luck! If you try it, do post, I used to love tempeh!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Hi:

I was doing a search for lentil tempeh and found your post and thought I'd reply. we are local brooklyn fresh tempeh producers. we make tempeh from locally sourced beans and grains. one of the tempeh's I'm playing with is white bean with dandelion and herbes de provence and today I am making a batch of white bean/lentil with rosemary. If you would like to get some from us it would be our pleasure to serve you.

Barry

growninbrooklyn.com

User Tag List