Happy (Holi)Days are here again!! Chat! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 03:53 PM
 
beadmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could someone pop over to the question I posted last night? I want to know if I am on the right direction for fixing our issues. Okay, one of our issues.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1169457

It is concerning the PST pathway.

Thanks

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
beadmama is offline  
#122 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 08:44 PM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I don't know what's what. I feel like my body is changing, like my metabolism is stepped up a notch. I'm hungry all the time, having low blood sugar symptoms... IDK. I am starting to get a bit more exercise now that my back/hips are rolfed enough to move again, so maybe its just that. But what concerns me is that I spent a good deal of my twenties trying to manage blood sugar to keep seizures at bay, and well, its been a LONG time since then with alot of water under the bridge. Hmmm.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#123 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 08:47 PM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AND my crystal is denying rice which I've been using a bit of since we went mostly grain-free. Ho hum. Going downstairs to light the wood cookstove and make some nutty treats...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#124 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Okay, I don't know what's what. I feel like my body is changing, like my metabolism is stepped up a notch. I'm hungry all the time, having low blood sugar symptoms... IDK. I am starting to get a bit more exercise now that my back/hips are rolfed enough to move again, so maybe its just that. But what concerns me is that I spent a good deal of my twenties trying to manage blood sugar to keep seizures at bay, and well, its been a LONG time since then with alot of water under the bridge. Hmmm.
Are you taking any selenium? I got like this when I went off my selenium... Apparently it helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Selenium binds with mercury so maybe yours has been otherwise claimed for now?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#125 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 PM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm. I haven't been testing selenium as a free supplement... its mixed in with my NAC. But I have some downstairs, so I'll go check it, and we'll see. Thanks!

ETA: Dang. Selenium is a bust. Guess I'll keep munching for now. Eventually the hunger will stop or I'll explode, right?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#126 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OLIVES!!!!!
ds2's diaper rash and terrible poop is from olives! how do I know? (TMI) I just found them in his poop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Hmmm. I haven't been testing selenium as a free supplement... its mixed in with my NAC. But I have some downstairs, so I'll go check it, and we'll see. Thanks!

ETA: Dang. Selenium is a bust. Guess I'll keep munching for now. Eventually the hunger will stop or I'll explode, right?

True enough I suppose.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#127 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sooo, speaking of selenium does anyone have a recommendation for liquid selenium and liquid zinc?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#128 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
OLIVES!!!!!
ds2's diaper rash and terrible poop is from olives! how do I know? (TMI) I just found them in his poop.
Olives always come out in poop. I don't think that's necessarily a reaction. All my kids are fine with olives, and it was one of those things like raisins, that you just got to see again...

I'm trying to figure out what's causing DD2's bad breath. It's just been since this fever thing she had. She's sleeping well, and eating again. But she's soooo crabby during the day. Just a whine-ball. And unless she's just brushed her teeth, like within 10 minutes, her breath smells. And it's a really weird smell. I looked it up and the options are reflux (but then she'd be up during the night), sinus/throat infection (but wouldn't she complain) or the one I don't want to think about (diabetes). How long do I let it go before I start worrying. It's been 3 days. Anyone know of a digestive cause? She hasn't had anything new.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
#129 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're using the BodyBio zinc, bought out of an eBay store.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#130 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never seen either olives or raisins in poop prior to ds2.

Could just be her body getting back into balance after illness, Kathy. Give her a little while.

No liquids here, Carren, but I've been wondering the same. Where does everyone get their NaturalCalm? time to add some for the ds's and myself.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#131 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh yeah and another tmi but...
I ran out of MSM about a week ago and I've been constipated ever since. Ideas on reasons for that?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#132 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Sooo, speaking of selenium does anyone have a recommendation for liquid selenium and liquid zinc?
sbgrace really likes optizinc, I think it's a liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what's causing DD2's bad breath. It's just been since this fever thing she had. She's sleeping well, and eating again. But she's soooo crabby during the day. Just a whine-ball. And unless she's just brushed her teeth, like within 10 minutes, her breath smells. And it's a really weird smell. I looked it up and the options are reflux (but then she'd be up during the night), sinus/throat infection (but wouldn't she complain) or the one I don't want to think about (diabetes). How long do I let it go before I start worrying. It's been 3 days. Anyone know of a digestive cause? She hasn't had anything new.
I've heard of it being related to gut imbalances, sometimes that happens after an illness. Up the probiotics and see if that helps? I read a funny (cause it didn't happen to me) story recently, someone thought the bad breath was digestive issues after a round of antibiotics, turned out the kiddo had stuffed something up their nose.
tanyalynn is offline  
#133 of 874 Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Olives always come out in poop. I don't think that's necessarily a reaction. All my kids are fine with olives, and it was one of those things like raisins, that you just got to see again...

I'm trying to figure out what's causing DD2's bad breath. It's just been since this fever thing she had. She's sleeping well, and eating again. But she's soooo crabby during the day. Just a whine-ball. And unless she's just brushed her teeth, like within 10 minutes, her breath smells. And it's a really weird smell. I looked it up and the options are reflux (but then she'd be up during the night), sinus/throat infection (but wouldn't she complain) or the one I don't want to think about (diabetes). How long do I let it go before I start worrying. It's been 3 days. Anyone know of a digestive cause? She hasn't had anything new.
I wouldn't worry yet. I was recently reading something that talked about how your mouth bacteria balance can get out of whack and that is what sometimes causes your ears to get plugged up (inflammation). I think it was in the gut syndrome book. Anyhow, whoever it was suggested putting some probiotics on the tongue just before bed and after brushing. It was said to restore the bacteria in the mouth. I'm sure that "off" bacteria in the mouth can cause bad breath.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#134 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 12:13 AM
 
deditus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In the LandOLakes missin the mitten
Posts: 2,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

Mind if I ask what tribe/band/nation/whatever you refer to it as? My mom is Cree and/or Ojibway (primarily a Cree nation though so probably Cree), my foster-mom was Saulteaux. And are you a Traditionalist? (sorry, I'm starved for Native interaction )
Wish I knew...My GGpa would never talk about it and we can't find any paper records that he even existed. So just family traditions passed on from him. He was very secretive about his past, so I expect it was miserable.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
deditus is offline  
#135 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rather than complaining about how much I want brownies, I'm just gonna go make the darn things already.
I've been avoiding baking. There are so many Christmas "treats" that we used to eat; crescent cookies, shortbread, vinnetarta (totally have to try making *that* allergen-free), peanut butterscotch squares, nanaimo bars, etc etc and so on and so forth, and I just haven't got the Oomph to try re-creating them right now and it's making me so sad. I don't think I would handle a failure very well atm so I'm just not experimenting.
3 days until my Gran's birthday would've been. Maybe I'll perk up a little after. Here's hoping.
Sorry for the depressing post.
Yeah. Time for brownies.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#136 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Wish I knew...My GGpa would never talk about it and we can't find any paper records that he even existed. So just family traditions passed on from him. He was very secretive about his past, so I expect it was miserable.
Sorry. But I'm glad he kept his traditions alive.

My happy biscuit, as one of my gaming friends referred to my allergen-free brownies, is in the oven. And I have 16 cups of my gf flour mix made up now as well, should the mood strike me to attempt baking.
M's cheek is red and swollen from teething and chamomila's not helping. I looked for pulsatilla at the store earlier but no such luck. They were even out of Hyland's teething tabs. Hope his first tooth breaks through soon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#137 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 01:14 AM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Okay, I don't know what's what. I feel like my body is changing, like my metabolism is stepped up a notch. I'm hungry all the time, having low blood sugar symptoms... IDK. I am starting to get a bit more exercise now that my back/hips are rolfed enough to move again, so maybe its just that. But what concerns me is that I spent a good deal of my twenties trying to manage blood sugar to keep seizures at bay, and well, its been a LONG time since then with alot of water under the bridge. Hmmm.
What sort of low blood sugar symptoms? B6 is helping with dd's behavioral lows - it's used to access glycogen in the liver. High fat is helping with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
OLIVES!!!!!
ds2's diaper rash and terrible poop is from olives! how do I know? (TMI) I just found them in his poop.
I don't think I've ever seen olive poop. But I'm still not convinced that identifying food in poop = reaction to that food. At least for us. I just wanted to send cause I can only guess how hard it would be to cut out olives for him!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#138 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
What sort of low blood sugar symptoms? B6 is helping with dd's behavioral lows - it's used to access glycogen in the liver. High fat is helping with mine.


I don't think I've ever seen olive poop. But I'm still not convinced that identifying food in poop = reaction to that food. At least for us. I just wanted to send cause I can only guess how hard it would be to cut out olives for him!
Well, I'm assuming it is bc (WTMI follows) each piece of olive was enveloped by gobs of mucous.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#139 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 01:45 AM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
What sort of low blood sugar symptoms? B6 is helping with dd's behavioral lows - it's used to access glycogen in the liver. High fat is helping with mine.
Well, I'd been getting along just fine with very low carb high protein high fat until recently... I'm back to the light headed, thick brained, tingly lips and HUNGRY.

So ate a bunch of high carb meals today and I feel okay tonight. I can't go on eating like this though... seriously...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#140 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 01:51 AM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, jr, that sounds like pretty convincing evidence

I had an appt with my midwife today, and we were talking about toning contractions, and apparently all of my preterm labor (100% unproductive) and labor contractions can be explained by high adrenaline. When my adrenals aren't supported, I feel like instead of pumping out cortisol to deal with stress, I pump out adrenaline, and it's the fight part of 'fight or flight' that causes my irritability. She described what labor would look like with high adrenaline, and pretty much got my labor with dd to a T: frequent, painful, unproductive contractions from the get go that suddenly become productive once you can relax a little, like, say, in a birth tub. That irritability is what turns off when I get my biotin/mag. Here's to hoping for a quick and (relatively) pain-free labor in march!! And some serious motivation to keep up the vitamin work. As if I needed more motivation...

Btw, the fudge still totally masks the b's, even to dh (my ultimate critic) and to a friend who stopped by - I used her family's recipe and she thought it tasted a little different, but blamed the coconut milk rather than the vitamins. And she knew the vites were there . AND, dd's eating some AND dh got folate into her (hiding inside a piece of penne at dinner). Praying for decent sleep - she did NOT get mag

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#141 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 02:12 AM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Well, I'd been getting along just fine with very low carb high protein high fat until recently... I'm back to the light headed, thick brained, tingly lips and HUNGRY.

So ate a bunch of high carb meals today and I feel okay tonight. I can't go on eating like this though... seriously...
So carbs are the bigger variable rather than total calories? Does it seem like a not accessing glycogen thing (for dd, that's constant carb snack cravings) or not replenishing glycogen once it runs out, or not storing it well, or not using fat well or...? (Can the crystal answer stuff like that? )

I just finished my last class till next summer and the last chapter was about fatty acid metabolism and ketones and insulin and glucagon. And my test strip showed high ketones for the second, even though I *think* I've been eating plenty. So this stuff is high on my research list...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#142 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
high ketones can also be from dehydration, Shannon. Have you been drinking enough?

eta: although high ketones + excessive thirst are red flags for diabetes as well.... hoping it's not that

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#143 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 AM
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Okay, I don't know what's what. I feel like my body is changing, like my metabolism is stepped up a notch. I'm hungry all the time, having low blood sugar symptoms... IDK. I am starting to get a bit more exercise now that my back/hips are rolfed enough to move again, so maybe its just that. But what concerns me is that I spent a good deal of my twenties trying to manage blood sugar to keep seizures at bay, and well, its been a LONG time since then with alot of water under the bridge. Hmmm.
Have you thought about chromium? My blood sugar, totally wacked for years, has gotten under control with chromium.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#144 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 PM
 
kjbrown92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 10,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I've never seen either olives or raisins in poop prior to ds2.

Could just be her body getting back into balance after illness, Kathy. Give her a little while.
We eat black olives a lot. And they always came out in their poop, even for DD1, who doesn't have issues. Raisins the same. And they plump back up. Pretty gross. Maybe my kids just don't chew well.

She still has swollen glands on the left side of her neck too. I'm just worrying that she's got an infection somewhere, I guess. DH tells me not to worry about it since the fever is gone and she's sleeping fine, and that I'm not going to be able to find a safe abx for her anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I've heard of it being related to gut imbalances, sometimes that happens after an illness. Up the probiotics and see if that helps? I read a funny (cause it didn't happen to me) story recently, someone thought the bad breath was digestive issues after a round of antibiotics, turned out the kiddo had stuffed something up their nose.
DD2 stuffed something up her nose a couple weeks ago. I got it back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

I don't think I've ever seen olive poop. But I'm still not convinced that identifying food in poop = reaction to that food. At least for us. I just wanted to send cause I can only guess how hard it would be to cut out olives for him!
Most people have corn poop, and they're not all allergic/intolerant to corn. I remember a thing going around at work (obviously at least 11 years ago since that's when I stopped working) about the different kinds of poop and one was corn poopies. And everyone was laughing about how true it was. So I don't necessarily think it's a reaction to food either. Though I think my dog must be allergic to crayons... her poop was very colorful this morning!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
kjbrown92 is offline  
#145 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
high ketones can also be from dehydration, Shannon. Have you been drinking enough?

eta: although high ketones + excessive thirst are red flags for diabetes as well.... hoping it's not that
Drinking enough? Me and well hydrated are not two things that go together often. And excessive thirst has never even been close to me. Did I mention my bp was like 88/56? I think I'll be working on hydrating today...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#146 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
So carbs are the bigger variable rather than total calories? Does it seem like a not accessing glycogen thing (for dd, that's constant carb snack cravings) or not replenishing glycogen once it runs out, or not storing it well, or not using fat well or...? (Can the crystal answer stuff like that? )

I just finished my last class till next summer and the last chapter was about fatty acid metabolism and ketones and insulin and glucagon. And my test strip showed high ketones for the second, even though I *think* I've been eating plenty. So this stuff is high on my research list...
I don't know. My OAT showed high ketones though. And being high in cadmium apparently diminishes my bodies ability to gain blood sugar from meat and fat, at least theoretically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Have you thought about chromium? My blood sugar, totally wacked for years, has gotten under control with chromium.
Hmmm. I haven't tested chromium recently. Its never tested as something I need.

Off to eat...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#147 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Drinking enough? Me and well hydrated are not two things that go together often. And excessive thirst has never even been close to me. Did I mention my bp was like 88/56? I think I'll be working on hydrating today...
Maybe a bit more salt too? Though I am funky, when I get enough salt, my BP goes down about 5 points (but I feel thirsty in a healthier way and I feel better overall, more energetic).

Have you already shared the fudge recipe? I don't need to hide the vitamins, it just sounds really yummy (have been eating WAY too many sugary things lately).

Interesting--I feel a bit like your daughter lately. For a few days, I did really good eating little sugar, lots more fat, not truly low carb but lower, and I felt really good. Good mood, more patience, more energy, wow. I was distinctly more engaged with the kids and the house, we did more stuff together, it was really nice. But stress (normal, not extreme) made me backslide and sugary stuff crept in and it totally changed--interesting to watch in a weird way. And now we've got cupcakes--I've tried the Betty Crocker GF cake mixes, even though I think the leavening is some odd chemical (it's sure not something I recognize as food) but given that I needed a treat to send with the kids on short notice, it worked. For people not interested in GF baking, or new to the whole scene and overwhelmed, it's an excellent thing, I don't think most folks could tell that they're not normal.

I've never noticed this type of swing in how I feel and how I interact. I'm going to interpret it in a positive way, as an improvement, and as good motivation to take good care of myself. It was nice to feel that good.
tanyalynn is offline  
#148 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
 
Wugmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I was just about suicidal this morning (not really, but you know what I mean) and that was BEFORE I just pulled my "Christmas cookies" out of the oven. They spread out into one big cookie on the sheet. Yes, these were the cookie cutter cookies. It is noon. At 2pm we have a bday party where the other kids will be decorating and eating sugar cookies. Plus cake, and I haven't even made a cake yet. No one has eaten lunch, one kid hasn't eaten breakfast, the house is a mess, the kitchen worse, I was fighting w/husband who moved into a 5 bedroom house w/his gf 2 weeks ago as I want him to come and get his CRAP from the house, she is coughing loudly in the background for him to get off the phone so he just hangs up on me, the kids could really use a bath before the party, gee, I showered yesterday so I'm good for awhile, right?!?!?

I don't think I can do this. If I off the gf I can go relax and actually SLEEP in prison while he takes care of the kids, that would solve a lot of my problems.

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

Wugmama is offline  
#149 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 03:10 PM
 
mtn.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Off the grid, AK
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Tracy. I want to scream for you. A thousand hugs. I wish I could come over and give you a hand... and pile all of his crap on the lawn.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

mtn.mama is offline  
#150 of 874 Old 12-06-2009, 04:02 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
I don't know. My OAT showed high ketones though. And being high in cadmium apparently diminishes my bodies ability to gain blood sugar from meat and fat, at least theoretically.
So maybe you're mobilizing cadmium?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Maybe a bit more salt too? Though I am funky, when I get enough salt, my BP goes down about 5 points (but I feel thirsty in a healthier way and I feel better overall, more energetic).

Have you already shared the fudge recipe? I don't need to hide the vitamins, it just sounds really yummy (have been eating WAY too many sugary things lately).

Interesting--I feel a bit like your daughter lately. For a few days, I did really good eating little sugar, lots more fat, not truly low carb but lower, and I felt really good. Good mood, more patience, more energy, wow. I was distinctly more engaged with the kids and the house, we did more stuff together, it was really nice. But stress (normal, not extreme) made me backslide and sugary stuff crept in and it totally changed--interesting to watch in a weird way. And now we've got cupcakes--I've tried the Betty Crocker GF cake mixes, even though I think the leavening is some odd chemical (it's sure not something I recognize as food) but given that I needed a treat to send with the kids on short notice, it worked. For people not interested in GF baking, or new to the whole scene and overwhelmed, it's an excellent thing, I don't think most folks could tell that they're not normal.

I've never noticed this type of swing in how I feel and how I interact. I'm going to interpret it in a positive way, as an improvement, and as good motivation to take good care of myself. It was nice to feel that good.
My adrenals took a definite hit in novemeber, and I'm probably low in salt. But now they're good, so I don't know how much I need... I'll just keep salting to taste, I think

fudge recipe linked in this post

sorry about the sugar weirdness... b6 really helps her with that one, and being generally good on vitamins. But it sounds like more of a rut for you? That you're feeling the blood sugar swings more? I think there's a post at plant poisons about some connection between ketones and how your brain thinks. No link though, it's been a LONG time since I read it... But yeah, I'd see that as a good thing too, even if only by identifying another symptom that can be used as a marker of something.

And Tracy. That feeling of last minute panic is pretty much how I functioned pre-adrenal treatment. Just before treating them, it went from good adrenaline to get things done to really bad stress that would mess me up for a while. Try to take care of yourself. Things *will* even out.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off